Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

38,481 to 38,500 of 47,140 messages
06/01/2013 at 23:17
Hi Mel - I can be incredibly rude, in fact my son told his friend that I fart every morning...... Which mara are you doing? i think 4 hours sounds realistic but then it's a goal I have too and my half pb is more like 1:50. it is hard fitting runs in and early mornings can be the only way but I have a sister close by who helps me loads. Hope the move goes well too.
MM Fab!!
CM - glad you had a good wkend, hope GP is understanding tomorrow.
Hoggle - I totally disassociate when Archie is in theatre, go walking, go to the shops, go anywhere really. It is sooooooo scary. Really hope they get good news after xxx Weather sounds beautiful but boo to getting back to work.
CC oops to just catching flights and rushing all over the place. When you say new yrs day dip, do you mean totally in!??? Like swim???! Bbbrrrrrrrrrr
JT funny how you bump into people in strange places. Is Dave a person or a place???!!
EF hope the bleugh is manageable. When will you tell Lou about having a new bro or sister?
Legs are sore today and a massage off 3 kids (at the same time) did not help. Have been looking to book somewhere to stay the night before snowdonia mara but all b&bs in llanberis are full and I don't know if I will have to go up by myself or car share, will I be ok to drive home after the race or not??? Argh it's so complicated! Anyone else fancy entering???
06/01/2013 at 23:19

verbal diarrhea? moi??  Have also met some of those friendly posters ... nicest forums I have been on are this one and the Scottish runners one

X-posts CM - sounds lovely weekend but you really do need to get well.

Definitely agree with whoever wished this forum lots of good health for 2013, there are some definite contenders who seriously need it - CM, JT and Kinsey for starters ...

06/01/2013 at 23:25

ha ha to massage Camlo - S does that to me all the time - sits on me and digs elbows in quads and hip-flexors, unasked for ... nice ... not

Yes, full-subs, no wet suit ... sea temperature was 7 degrees and there was a nice off-shore breeze blowing too. Didn't hang around for sure, but did get round of applause from some people out for a stroll on New Years Day, also managed to get one of the other dinner guests from friends we went up to on New years Eve to join in too ...

Have thought about that mara but is always same weekend as OMM mountain marathon and if I'm not doing that with hubby then he'll be off doing itt with a friend.  Plas-y-brenin often do B&B at weekends but think that's a last-minute kind of thing. Have you tried Youth Hostels - one at Pen-y-pass probs booked but there is one in Llanberis ... otherwise there are plenty of campsites ... some even have lovely hot showers ... will have a think of other accom recomendations as spent many years climbing/walking/scrambling in that neck of the woods.

07/01/2013 at 01:15
Welcome Mel, you'll definitely get nothing but support here. You are definitely in the right place.

Hoggle, thinking of your friends for tomorrow, hope the outcome is positive.

CC, welcome back, did miss you. It has been quiet with you, MM and Lotte not really posting. Funny how those of you who run the most miles also seem to find the most time to post

Had a lovely weekend. Lovely family day yesterday. Was a bit of a pain in the morning as car wouldn't start outside Starbucks after I had coffee with running group (definitely not running myself!). Turns out battery was flat but even when we jump started it and took it to garage they could find no reason why so now just waiting for it to happen again. Then took Max to play mini golf then after snooze we went across to beach where they had a bonfire, snacks and a disco. He was a bit shy at first but once he got into it Max had a great boogie. Was hilarious to watch and good to see so many kids as it is a bit fogie-fied here.

Then today had quite relaxing morning then Costco shop this afternoon then popped in to see our English friends who have just signed paperwork to buy a house. Shattered today, shall be in bed very soon.

Sorry, meant to respond to more but brain fried tonight. Have a good week all.
07/01/2013 at 07:23
Sounds a good weekend TT!

Cc - you have been busy! Guessing you're now on seretide? It's pretty good for most people!!! Your flights sound manic!

Camlo - you are funny! Dave is one of the Hairy Bikers.

Hmm, got to leave for work in five, not dressed, remind me why I'm on here?!
07/01/2013 at 09:28
Another distinctly average human checking in here!!

You can tell it's back to work/school time - I think there have been more posts in the last 12 hours than in the last week!

CM - hope you get some joy from the gp

EF - hope the indigestion settles soon. When's the next scan?

CC - sounds like a busy trip away. We have been toying with the idea of going to Switzerland at Easter, but think I'd need a few stiff drinks to contemplate the drive, and can't even begin to face the idea of flying with the 3 of them! Isabelle would be ok, but E....!

Camlo - great running. I was going to say I don't know where I could run 22 miles from here without going round and round housing estates, but given that we live very near the start of the south downs way, that's not really a valid comment!

JT - hope work is ok, how are you now?

Well, you've probably seen on fb that I've done my first run. Physically I felt so well from the birth that I didn't see the point of waiting - plus hubby is now on paternity leave so want to make the most of his time off! I will be sensible though, and won't run today or possibly tomorrow to make sure that everything is ok.

I will be back later to read in more detail. We're supposed to be meeting some friends at soft pay at 10 (inset day here) and no one is dressed yet!
07/01/2013 at 10:03

Happy new year all!  Yes we've been away for a week, back on Friday but busy being ill and catching up on washing/taking decorations down etc.  We had a good week on Carsington Water (Derbyshire) but the weather was hideous until the day we left pretty much (when the sun came out ).  None of us slept well as Sophie hated sleeping in the cottage for some reason - just found it all a bit spooky or something - and wet the bed several nights then was up crying saying she couldn't sleep. We also discovered when we got back and I took her to the doc's that she has a viral ear infection so that was hurting her at night too.  And she hasn't been able to hear properly for about a week poor thing!

So Nicky was ill on Christmas Day and didn't get his appetite back until the 29th (Sun) when he devoured 4 fish fingers, a mountain of chips and 2 scoops of ice cream in the pub (!), then I was ill on and off and slightly sick on Wed and have spent the rest of the week with a gurgly tummy and bit of a headache.  Then hubby started with it yesterday.  What a bunch of crocks!

And I was really up for a run yesterday morning but hubby said he wasn't well so I just took the kids for a walk and lunch in the pub which they enjoyed, but I was very frustrated not to be able to run.  Then he didn't even seem that bad when I got back but he looked after them when I was ill so I can't complain.  Just annoying though.

Welcome Mel!  Definitely friendly bunch here.  I have Sophie (4.5) and Nicky (2.5 nearly) and am definitely a jolly jogger!

Hoggle - awful about your friend's baby and echo what others have suggested, especially the lack of healthy snacks in a hospital!  And the need to get out of the place from time to time - it's strange how time stands still when you're in.

Right enough waffle.  Back to work for me tomorrow and not prepared in the slightest!  Also need to have a big toy clearout to accommodate new stuff.  Sorry to anyone I've missed.

07/01/2013 at 14:24

Welcome Mel. Yes very friendly on here. Some of us been here far too long. I 'met' this lot when my twin boys were born, over 6 years ago. I also have a wee girl 2.5.

Shame you had a crocked xmas JG. We were lucky as apart from a lingering cough we have all survived xmas well and unscathed. We had a unwell patch early on Dec.

10 miles from me today in the daylight, easy road run and some core stuff. Achilles niggling again and arthritic bit in ball of my foot, so lots of icing. The ground in one part of the course went from knee high mud to stony gravel and spikes felt very hard on that especially on the 2nd lap so I think its a wee bit damaged again .

Right must dash and get hair dried etc before school pick up. Don't know where the day has gone, but I have done some cleaning, tidying and washing too!! 

07/01/2013 at 16:57

Hi Mel. We're definitely friendly! Don't understand why anyone on these types of forums wouldn't be but I am obviously niave to think this! Reckon you're very capable of a sub 4hr marathon. I managed 3.55 and my best half was 1:48 I think. I've got two girls, 2yr 10m and a nearly 1yr old.

Haven't posted for ages but first day back at work today so finally some spare time

MM - fabulous running from you! Hope todays soreness can be reversed. I'm pretty sure going from mud wading to gravel would cause anyone pain. Saw your fb posts about hubbys crazy challenge. Is he still feeling confident?!

JG- boo to the poorlies over Christmas, ear infections sound particularly horrid for little ones, have yet to experience anything like that with my two.

Vixo- woohoo to first post baby run! You are sounding in fine spirits for having a 3week old and no sleep I presume? Another superwoman

JT- I also thought Dave was an island after reading your post....

CM- saw your fb post about gp, not good Glad you had a wonderful weekend to finish off the xmas hols though.

Camlo- 22miler to escape the kids sounds good to me! Ouch to the massage. Just looked up the snowdonia marathon, I'd love to one like that but have a feeling it might not happen, hubby is being very understanding about my training for a spring marathon so I don't want to push it. If it doesn't sell out I might be a late entry...

CC-crazy tour of the south by you then! Very exciting about starting your pilates proper! Have you got a few people signed up already, pay as you go style?

TT- love that Max is golf obsessed! So cute. When are you due again? February? Is there a possibility of the kids having the same birthday or was Max born in March? sorry can't remember, just know we were all due around the same time back in the pregnant runners thread days (saves on birthday parties if so )

Hoggle- (()) for your poor friend and her little one.

Sorry, can't remember much else! Except for EF feeling very crappy! Will start to perk up soon I'm sure of it ()

All good our way. Kids aren't ill(!), first day back at work/childminders, few tears (from them not me) but need some routine back after all the spoiling, daddy time (ie. too much tv) they've had.

Just started my marathon training schedule for Stratford. Did some good mileage over xmas period (kept disappearing out the door as early as poss and leaving hubby with my mum, oops) and the RW schedule I'm following actually has my weekly mileage lower than it has been. Do any of you experts think I might be going backwards if I follow it? Or is it preventing injury... Its not a very high mileage as I'm certainly not one of the pro's on here but I was getting up to 30miles/week and its only getting me doing 20 odd and on the 4miler today I found it hard to go as slow as it said. Maybe I'm thinking too much about it! Anyway, must get back to work before hometime

07/01/2013 at 17:16

You know my feelings on this Sonya. If you were running 20mpw I would suggest hat should be your starting point really. I don't think you can run a marathon, even a get round one on 20mpw.

Yes hubbie is rather nervous. He has raised just over £1000 now so he has to do it now! Lots of support from fellow running club members and friends so I'm sure he'll pull through. We have over 40 coming for a curry with us on Sat night though after the event but no idea if he'll manage it let alone be capable of being sociable!!

I have to make a cake yet too. Going for a yellow jersey with 40 as the number and 'Tour de Wiltshire' or Maxwell. Still getting the ideas!! Kids just made their cards for him so feeling organised!!

07/01/2013 at 17:46

Hi Sonya, good to hear from you, glad you had a good Christmas.  Due date is Feb 20th, if I have csec, they will do about a week before that.  Max was March 8th so no chance of shared birthday, dammit - didn't plan that very well

MM - hope the weather doesn't put too much of a dampener on C's challenge.  All I can say is 'wow!'.  Are you planning to run any of it with him?

07/01/2013 at 18:56
Yes it's when the sponsor money comes in reality dawns MM! Sure he'll be fab.

Sonya - I'd echo what MM says, sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear! And it depends on what session you were running that you struggled to be slow enough for, was it a lsr?

Tt - it's amazing how quickly they can pick up a hobby, bless%!

Vixo - not sure if you saw, but spirometry reversibility test started. At 88% then went to 120%. Not great! Now on Symbicort 400 2 puffs twice daily, Singulair 10mg and have a six week course of azithrymycin as a precaution. If that doesn't work it's systolic steroids and a ct scan . Struggling today but think that could be the changeover between the two steroid inhalers. Know what you mean about toddlers on a,plane, Archie would be a nightmare! Hopefully O would sleep?

Going to try a different Pilates class tonight, more local and maybe not as,scary! Been told I can power walk too
07/01/2013 at 19:45

Fletchers operation is this morning so am on tenterhooks waiting to hear any news. Got up to M in the night and somewhere in my sleep addled brain I decided to get into the spare bed with her (I think subconsciously I needed her close to me - can't remember what I was thinking!), anyway was fine until 5am when she woke and instead of going back to sleep decided to play. Totally my own fault but man that's an early start. Mega breakfast tantrum and tears at daycare drop off which is very unusual so all round I'm feeling a bit fraught! Waiting til the rain eases to get out for a run and clear my head.

So many poorlies on here - hope you all get some respite soon (((())))

07/01/2013 at 20:13
thinking of fletcher and hope it goes well Hoggle.
MM / JT are you saying that if you have a schedule (I don't) you should follow it religiously from the beginning even if you are usually doing more/ faster? Does it also mean that if you can run 30 mpw now that you could start a 'harder' schedule?
I would love to do sub 4 but am afraid to look at a plan in case I get too obsessed and overtrain again! still have doms from Sat so took a steady 3.5 today but carried light dumbells to try and boost arms!! Not sure if it is recommended or not!!
Kids in bed, university challenge on and milky coffee made...... Back later!
07/01/2013 at 20:43

Run done and head much clearer. A fairly ploddy run - just shy of 6km (am slowly building up!). Legs tired from lots of walking in last few days but sped up towards the end. The whole time I lived in London all my runs were pretty much flat so the hills here are a good challenge.

07/01/2013 at 20:49
Hope all goes well hoggle. 5am start is not good for toddler or mummy!

Yes, that's what I want to know Camlo, should I find a different harder schedule because I'm already comfortably doing 30mpw and the one I'm following doesn't seem to put the miles in. It is one of the RW ones, for sub 3.45, and does get up to 30 then quite a few weeks at around 40 so maybe is enough for me! I used the sub 4 one for my last marathon (4yrs ago!). Most of my training is going to be squished into work days when I can run home plus lsr at weekend (plus the dreadmill of course). Like you Camlo I get obsessed with a plan! And felt bad today for running faster than what I was told by the plan, how silly is that?!

Camlo- no idea if carrying dumbbells is a good idea! I'm sure you could do sub 4, just popping out to do 22 on a Sunday sounds like lotte style behaviour!

JT - don't understand much of the numbers but doesn't sound great for you. Hope the new steroids work and Pilates isn't scary!

TT- might you have a valentines baby then?!

MM- sounds like hubby has enough support to push him forwards. And yes, will you be running beside him? or supporting with the kids. Can not imagine going to a curry after! He can have a nap under the table maybe Cake sounds good too!

Must go, hubby has put gadget show on telly so I need to wrestle the remote off him
07/01/2013 at 20:58
Hello ladies!! Back after a lovely Christmas and a traumatic new year. (Will explain later).

Haven't read back fully yet but great to see so much running happening! MM - always in awe of your mileage. And good luck for your hubby. What is he raising money for? Does he have a just giving page? EF - how are you feeling now? And CM - really hoping you get 100% better soon too. I was ill, bit like you, almost nonstop from September to Christmas. But after a couple of weeks off work I feel like a new woman!

Camlo - you are such a strong runner, do you think you need to follow a training programme? It's a dilemma isn't it? I'm sure I could do sub 3.45 if I really tried, but I enjoy my relaxed marathons so much I kinda think I'm happy being a "jolly jogger" (great phrase JG!) rather than making myself miserable trying (&probably failing) to stick to a hard training programme. I think it all probably depends on your personality. I have such admiration and respect for CC, MM, Lotte - but I'm never gonna be in your league! But it's chatting with you guys in the forum that keeps me motivated and remembering to enjoy my running!

Yay - new year philosophising over! (Not sure that's even a word!)
Welcome Mel too - you could DEF do sub 4. I did and I've never done sub 1.50 in a half even. I'm lazy me.

TT and Hoggle - good to hear from you and thinking of your friends wee baby Hoggle.

Off to do more reading back now.

Oh yeah, good to see you back running Vixo! When is Stratford marathon Sonya?
07/01/2013 at 21:01

Ok, a couple of totally non running and non related questions :

1) anyone ever stayed with a chain of campsites called Huttopia?

2) this one is a bit trickier and requires someone with a knowledge of employment law, or maybe a part time employee who works Mondays.  I am still negociating the job.  (the alternate one didn't come to anything so we are back with the first one).  I would be working Mon, Tues and 1:4 Saturdays.  They offer their employees 5.6 wks holiday a yr which includes the bank holidays, which is 28 days for a full time employee.  I would be pro rata which I think would be 11 or 12 days.  However, as the 5.6 wks includes bank hols, on a bank holiday a full time worker is required to deduct it from their 28 days, so it means they get 20 days to do with as they please, and 8 days which are bank hols and therefore not flexible.   So if I work Mondays, every yr there will be a minimum of 4 bank hols on the days I work, and if xmas and NY fell on a Mon/Tues there could be up to 7 bank hols on the days I work.  Does that mean that I would have to use 4 (or up to 7) of my holiday days every yr because it is a bank hol, therefore leaving me with not many days to take when I want?

I can't find a definive answer on line, the practice haven't employed someone on a p/t basis before so I don't think they know, and I have just spoken to a supposed expert in employment law on the BVA legal advice line and they are going to get back to me as they don't know either!

School back tomorrow, but actually have had a really nice last wk, M has been a delight, E is now crawling everywhere and is a major liability!  We are going to start going to all the various playgroups again this wk as he is now down to one nap a day so we need to fill our mornings with fun! (or I need to drink coffee and chat to other mums!)

Oh went and saw my lovely physio on Fri and filled her in on all my woes and the huge no of different 'experts' I have seen over the past yr, incl psycho osteopath, and she was so nice and positive.  She did some ultrasound and electrostimulating stuff, and says she thought it was my sacroilliac but that I could also be gettig some referred pain from the couple of bulging discs that showed up on the MRI.  But she said she thought it should all go away with time, and that in her opinion BF definitely leaves things loose for a long time, so I just need to be patient.  She said walking was fine (hense my sudden obsession with miles on the 2013 FB page!) and also mentioned maybe a support brace to give those muscles a break for an hr or two each day.  But I'm still waiting for my appt to have orthotics made s I think I'll see how that works first.

Good luck to your hubby MM.  Shame we're not in Wilts or I'd stand by the rd and support!

Hi to everyone else

07/01/2013 at 21:06
Caro - this is probably asking the obvious but do they shut for every single bank hol?
07/01/2013 at 21:13

Camlo, I think running with weights may be more likely to injure you as you will change your gait to accomodate the extra weight... why not try some press ups/tricep dips on park benches or when you get home to break up the run? Do 3 sets of 12-15 and the arms will soon feel stronger.

Good to see all the marathon training starting. I struggled to slow down enough on my long runs but can totally appreciate why you should. I guess stick with your mileage you are doing now Sonja either by adding a couple of miles to easy runs or doing the lsr to the distance you are currently doing. I can't wait to get back running... awesome that you are running so soon Vixo. I don't think we are "friends" on fb, how far did you go?

I have entered a half marathon for late july which should give me enough time to train and give me something to aim for after baby makes an appearance.

Boo to feeling ill over Christmas JG. And hope you are feeling better CM and JT and EF. Has the prickly tummy subsided?

CC, your trip down south sounded lovely. Hope you get out for some decent runs.

MM, good luck to hubby and I hope he enjoys his birthday!

Thinking of you and your friend Hoggle. How was the light display at the park?

Right Brookie, this is twice you have left us hanging now... your last post you said you were excited about the new year for reasons you will share later and now not sharing about your new years eve!! Come on spill!!  

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.