Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

38,521 to 38,540 of 45,471 messages
11/04/2013 at 15:11

sounds like a good idea, MM

forecast for the weekend isn't good. which is a real shame as i was looking forward to getting out and about with the kids. we will just have to get wet, i guess!!

11/04/2013 at 18:44

Don't they check the names on the cards with ID or something MM?  Shame your kids are back at school or we could have all gone.  My dad is an NT member and has lent us his parking pass so we can park for free.

Yes forecast looks rubbish yet again!  No idea what we are going to do on Sat.  I can see yet another visit to the soft play in Devizes coming on.......yawn.

11/04/2013 at 19:01

No they don't Caro and we have a family membership so would be fine for M. Up to you.

Try Steam in Swindon Caro. Loads of space for running around and lots of interactive stuff.

11/04/2013 at 19:49

Will check with hubby, where are you again? Sounds like a good idea.  Will look into steam trains as well - just up my dad's street!

11/04/2013 at 20:06

The museum is called Steam Caro. Its next to the NT offices. Also good in Swindon is the Oasis leisure pool. Will PM you address and mobile number on FB...

11/04/2013 at 20:54

Have replied MM.  Pool sounds good for another time - didn't bring swim stuff.

11/04/2013 at 21:21

Thankfully, despite it still being chilly, weather is actually dry up here and does feel a little more spring-like.

Babysitter arrived (daughter of mum I sometimes run with from club) - we decided as tide was out that a run along beach was going to be far nicer than a trek into town for club ... so 7.5 miles at nice easy pace, out along forest/coastal trail and back along beach. All fine until leaving the beach, the small pools in sand have become large lagoons since last massive tides ... cue a thigh-deep wade to reach the mainland, rather than the paddle we anticipated!!! Does that count as my second sea-swim of the year??

11/04/2013 at 21:22

Steam trains - my dad is obsessed!!! We gave him a voucher to drive a steam train on the Watercress Line this year for his 70th - loved it ... and our trip on the Dufftown to Keith the other day was accompanied by a non-stop commentary about everything!!

12/04/2013 at 00:47
CC - where is the watercress line? I bet my dad would love that too.
12/04/2013 at 14:26

Just met caro and hubbie. Kids asleep in the car. Very brief chat about orthotics mainly!!

Hope you enjoyed it Caro and maybe see you tom if its pouring here...

Must clean....

12/04/2013 at 15:22
Sounds good, MM and Caro. I love my orthotics - they have meant that I have virtually eliminated my ongoing, nagging hip pain even though I was increasing mileage quite substantially. Not that I am doing much running ATM

anyway, leave the cleaning - you have a marathon to taper for

CC - your Dad would love the steam train near Welshpool. i think Minks will have been on it if she is lurking

On a good note, the sickness does seem to be easing slightly I have to constantly nibble on tiny portions to keep on top of it - crackers, toast etc. I am however struggling a bit with drinks in the sense that they all taste funny and I can't keep more than about 100ml at a time down. Tea, coffee, water, juice, squash - all yuck! Peppermint tea and soya milk are about the only things that are bearable. Anyone got any ideas?
12/04/2013 at 16:42

I do but I also have a house full of guests this weekend. Have done bathrooms and hoovered upstairs. Tesco lady just been so now just need to marinade meat for tonight's dinner. Hubbie can clean the downstairs when he gets home!! Boys both done their homework too, so feeling virtuous!!

I drank gallons of Ribena at this stage TB. Only squash I could stomach for some reason. With Sophie it was just sips of water and nothing else. I threw up pretty much everything that went near my mouth anyway and was horrendously dehydrated. On the verge of hospitalisation, but doc gave me anti-emetics instead which worked a treat. Have you tried water with fresh lemon juice in it. The sharpness might be OK? I used to suck lemon slices with the boys to keep the sickness away.

Oat cakes are good as they absorb all the saliva. I can't go near the things now though!!

Right time for a cuppa and then get on with kids tea and our dinner preps....

12/04/2013 at 18:12
Yes I like oatcakes. They've helped a lot last few weeks. The only crackers I could bear eating were saltines and I couldn't find those for sale ANYWHERE! drinks - yeah, Ribena was my juice of choice too but have now moved on to lemon squash. I found I really wanted fizzy drinks actually (although not coke or Pepsi which I usually love, bad I know) but fizzy bitter lemon or fizzy water and Ribena or just lemonade. I wanted tonic water but wasn't sure if the quinine was ok.

E and I have the cold now. Was hoping we'd escape it. Feel lousy today and the tiredness has brought the nausea back. Having to eat to quell it and having a resurgence of weight gain worries. I'm worried I won't fit my maternity clothes from last time when I get them back from my friend shortly! And don't want to fork out for new ones ! Oh well, hopefully I'll feel better over wkend and can start exercising more and eating more healthily.

Sorry - bit of a me me me post. Glad u and Caro met up MM. How many weeks are you now Tatty?
12/04/2013 at 18:46

House looked perfectly clean to me!  I knew I was in the right place from the matching boys wellies outside the door, not to mention the cool pink mummy ones.  Sophie was being an angel eating her lunch - don't believe she misbehaves ever

Thanks so much MM, we had a lovely afternoon.  Went to the abbey first , explored the house and gdn, then did our walk.  It's the 2 mile Lacock riverside walk that is on the NT website - definitely recommend it if you havent done it.  Then we went to the first tea shop we came to when we arrived back in thte village and sat outside eating cream tea and Victoria sponge.  Eric managed to be placated with an apple....silly boy!

And yes we talked about running and orthotics - ha ha!  I think I am going to go and see the osteopath that has been recommended to me by a local runner.  I have tried the rest method (well I consider no running for 6 months rest!) and it hasnt worked, so time to fork out some more cash.  Good thing I have a job!

12/04/2013 at 19:12
Fanta. Full sugar version - lifesaver for me. Plus innocent fresh orange juice with bits. Def not the smooth!
12/04/2013 at 20:44
Fizzy water was my thing too although with B I found that more expensive organic tea was ok, no idea why!!

Went for another run this morning! Bit disappointed by the amount of pavement running it looks like I will be doing here though, need to find some other options!
12/04/2013 at 20:56
sorry girls - not been keeping up.
boo to nausea but you all know it's good for you!! Boo to cost of orthotics and treatments too (but again you know it's good for you), and boo to pavement running (that one is defo not good for you...)
yippee to fab days out and trains and cakes and creamtea and walking and running.
Busy week with work so I am ready to drop, thank goodness I am on my taper! Had the day in Aberystwyth today (or aberwiffwaff as tom calls it or Aberbiscuit as Archie now calls it). My friend looked after boys while I did work and I met them after. Got a stack of birthday, good luck, congrats etc cards in the card factory - 29 cards in all for 10 squids!!
Had my hair chopped off again tonight - copied you all by showing her a pic of Alice from Twighlight with a pixie cut. I LOVE IT!!
No running But plenty of carb loading!!!
12/04/2013 at 21:37

Sorry I've really not been keeping up too well as always snatching moments on my phone.  Boo to all the morning/alldayallnight sickness.  I've left that now I think thank goodness.  However this week I have been ill.  Proper officially rubbishly ill.  Had a cold a few weeks back and never really shifted it, been complaining constantly of mucus running down my throat etc and then on Sat night after the wee 3K it came back with a vengeance.  We were out at friends' house for dinner and I was just really conscious that I was rubbish company cos I had no zip about me, just wanted to close my eyes realy.  And sunday I felt like shit.  Then MOnday I felt even worse but being me I staggered into work and somehow made it through.  Tuesday things degenerated again and especially as I had had such a pain in my face that I hadn't slept at all Monday night.  Went home at 2.50 on Tuesday which I never do.  Then another sleepless night on Tues and I felt like I was in a cartoon where the pressure in my face was such that all my top right teeth were about to crack and fall out (yes Lou's into Tom and Jerry at the mo!).  I decided to phone the doctor.  Turns out I have a sinus infection and so got antibiotics - started to feel better almost immediately.  Got canesten prescribed with the antibiotics and also got lactulose which I still have to brave because it looks so vile.  But (TMI!!) sometimes when I go to the loo I think I might actually poo the baby out before the poo! 

AM so excited for the London runners.  And so glad I'm not running.  I'm officially as unfit as I have ever been.  But Paul contacted me last night and said he is going back to work next week so I am going in for a session and a catch up so I can find out how they are doing.

My other friend (also Alana weirdly!) had a baby girl this week - Abigail Wendy - she too was overdue and she too had to have an emergency c section.  I'm now utterly terrified of going overdue.  And apparently in Leeds they don't let you go overdue if you are ivf because the placenta is more likely to degenerate if it's an ivf pregnancy (on the basis that your body is crap at being pregnant anyway) so I am really going to push to get induced as soon as I hit 40 weeks.

Friend from school was round last night - she's 38 weeks now.  So many friends preg!  She was in same boat as me - no 1 came along no worries and then no. 2 was a total nightmare.  However 3 rounds of ivf later and she's due a wee girl shortly.  Better post this or I'll lose it.

12/04/2013 at 21:41

Baby really is kicking me a lot - Lou was never quite this lively and I am already feeling very uncomfy.  Cannot believe you were still doing parkrun at this stage Caro!  Not a chance of that.  The 3K led to back pain all day.

Just logged on to work systems to do some time recording.  Had such a crap week with being ill but anyway, got a major meeting 10.30 on Monday which should hopefully see away a case which has given me some sleepless nights so I'm looking forward to that. 

ordered a new baby monitor off amazon and got breast pads at the same time but raging at myself because I did it on my phone and managed to forget to change the delivery to free so ended up with everything arriving super quick but I don't exactly need any of it!  GrRRR. 

OK another me poster but lots of love to you all and luck to the runners.  Stay healthy for now - that's the best training you can do at this stage! 

13/04/2013 at 11:00
dress rehearsal done! 6 miles in new vest and deeley boppers drew some weird looks and a few waves. will try and put a pic on fb so people will know what to look for!
Boo to infection EF but glad the meds kicked in straight away. Try not to worry about what ifs - you may go into labour bang on time!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.