Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

38,561 to 38,580 of 45,783 messages
14/04/2013 at 22:27

Oh wow TT - that's an amazing effort on the run, enjoy your bottle of wine in bed!!  I think when it's that wet it's hard not to find something that chafes ... my best running knickers are some Tescos seam-free ones and also a pair of M&S ones. fingers crossed no probs yet.

Wierd to think how different our weather is - you're Perth way aren't you? So threeish hours South of here and totally different.

Right, bed beckons for me too. Agree about return to routine - definitely needed for my sanity, but have enjoyed heading out on our various adventures.  On Friday I had six other kids here - they ate lunch in the garden - hmmmm - was that summer????

14/04/2013 at 23:29
was thinking of trying some seam free ones.

Slightly further south than Perth, about half way between Glasgow + Stirling, my running buddy is up nearer Perth tho (just north of Dunblane).

Was gorgeous day when I got to my Mum's just outside Stirling, Sun was shining most of day. Blowing a right hoolie on the way home tho, but 12.5 degrees, which felt positively tropical compared to last few months.
14/04/2013 at 23:37
I was up Nairn + Elgin way last October, running buddy's parents live in Elgin + have caravan in Nairn. So we had wkend up there for our 40th's. Freaked me out being away from the hills, was Just so flat being on the coast. Was a relief to get south of Inverness + see the hills again. Had a fab time tho, going round all the national trust places, but I missed my hills.
15/04/2013 at 13:02

Boston Marathon for big sis today - am on tenterhooks already!  Starts at 3pm our time and am set to receive e mail alerts every 10k so will be on edge all afternoon.  I get the impression she's not as positive as she usually is about these things.......hopefully it's just pre race jitters.

15/04/2013 at 14:25

LOL at the flatness Tangy, I agree that parts are as flat as my chest!!! Nairn and Findhorn being good examples. However, there are plenty of hills, they are just shrouded in the trees, running along the River Findhorn being a great example, hardly a flat section in sight.

I love my hills and I love my seascape too, the latter on my doorstep, the former about 20 mins drive away.

I do love the scenery whenever I drive down your way though, usually when doing the Highland Fling, so will miss that this year

Was running in culbin forest this morning, if it wasnt' for the 40 mph gusting winds it would have been too hot!  Shorts, t-shirt, no gloves, no hat and sunnies - although that was to keep dust out of my eyes. All the sand and the dirt from the fields is thick in the air.  Saw two enormous hares and spent 10 mins watching the seals sunning themselves on the beach - so cute watching the pups.  Culbin is full of giant ant hills it feels - 1000 year-old trees all stacked up beneath your feet and covered with pine needles and moss, some are single-story in height, most bizarre landscape for sure.

8 miles in the bag though and legs feeling OK.

Caro - hope your sis has a blinder, and the nerves are just jitters.  Don't envy your afternoon on edge.

15/04/2013 at 15:02
Love running in forest esp if trail is covered in pine needles/leaves, run throo a short bit on my long runs + smells wonderful. Altho most of forestry around here has bn badly managed + the conifers have taken over + suffocated everything, meaning half the woodland is now dead. So bit scary to run throo as there r a lot of trees fall dwn. They r in process of chopping dwn all the conifers + replanting hardwoods, but it'll b decades b4 we benefit from the new trees + in the meantime the woodland is left totally decimated. Going to b very bare around here within the next few yrs.
15/04/2013 at 16:02

Just passed 10k in 41 mins, which is 6.42 pace.  She needs to keep it up!!

15/04/2013 at 16:46

Go Caro's sis!  Great running too - I'm in awe of anyone who can do a 20-miler!

Back to work for me tomorrow, suddenly not looking forward to it!  Sophie extra excited to be back at school today and Nicky and I enjoyed a quiet day in setting up the new TV cabinet that was delivered this morning.

Did just over 6 miles yesterday and thought leg was slightly better though still ached, but today I can hardly walk uphill  it's so tight up the back of my leg, yet didn't feel sore there while I was running which is confusing.  Osteo on Fri but I'm starting to think, either it's having no effect (in which case, will anything) or I'm going to have to fork out for months of treatment.  Boo in general!

15/04/2013 at 19:02

Well, the result is in....2.59.40, so sub 3....just!!  About 3 mins slower than he PB but she's happy with sub 3 at boston, said it was really really hard and she is really really sore!!

15/04/2013 at 19:16

JG - have they said what is actually the problem, what's causing the tightness? Is this a new area of tightness or the same thing. Have you got rehab exercises to accompany the treatment?

Caro - still a fab time, even more so when she wasn't feeling positive about it to start. Wow really.

Tangy - boo to poor tree management, they've been hacking away at our forest for months now, but it is well managed and there is plenty of new stuff coming up. Mixture of types trees, I love looking up at the sky and seeing the tops of all the trees outlined against it, and that smell.

Had one of those panic moments on Saturdays long run, found a nice twisty trail the other day so added it in, suddenly became aware of all these ripped off branches on the ground and lots of creaking, cracking and banging sounds above - sounded like whole lot was going to fall down on me. Think I'll give that area a miss for a few weeks!  Sped up considerably there!!

15/04/2013 at 20:15

OK so now there have been explosions at the finish line, pics not looking good.  Waiting to hear news.....am assuming she is well away but have no idea.

15/04/2013 at 20:16

Scary CC!  

Fantastic Caro's sis - sub 3 is sub 3, even if a matter of seconds .  Bet she is sore after that!

CC - the osteo said it comes from my SI joint and has been doing massage on the affected side of my spine, other stretches (pushes hand down deep next to my front pelvic bone and gets me to straighten my leg down on the bed - feels v weird!) and the lying across me crushing me making things pop in my spine thing which I don't know the name of!  It all feels in the right area and like it should help, but obviously the problem is still there .  It probably doesn't help that I've barely been running since I started seeing him, and spent a large part of last week with a large 2.5 yr old on my hip who was terrified of being blown over by the wind!  I've just got stretches to do twice a day - hamstring stretch and the one where you put your leg across the other thigh and pull your leg towards you.  It may be that I haven't been doing those stretches properly as I'm always in a rush in the mornings, so maybe I'll try to devote more time to them this week.

15/04/2013 at 20:22
CARO is your sis ok? She was well ahead of this But just seen news. Oh my god.
15/04/2013 at 20:25
Just seen your post Caro. Let us know ASAP.
15/04/2013 at 20:32
watching the news and hoping your sis is ok Caro. Awful, awful news.
15/04/2013 at 20:42

Just had a FB message, she's fine and I think she's with everyone she knows.  Phew!  Still don't really know what happened or how bad it is.  Am rather shivery, think I need a cup of tea!

15/04/2013 at 20:56
oh Caro - you must have been frantic.
I am watching in utter disbelief - what with a runner dying at Brighton and the predicted riots surrounding the funeral for MT on Weds I am NOT looking forward to London with the same optimism I had.
15/04/2013 at 21:02
It's just awful. Why would anyone target a sporting event (assuming it wasn't a gas explosion or something). Caro, so relieved your sister is ok. Must have been horrible for you waiting to hear. And what a horrible thing to taint her memory of such a great run. I'm just in shock.
15/04/2013 at 21:05
Makes me reconsider going to watch.

My sister's ex husband is a terrorism expert and he is e mailing me to tell her via FB to stay away from any gathering places/potential targets as it might not be over......I guess he knows how they think. I won't be happy till I know she's out of the city.
15/04/2013 at 21:07

Glad your sister is ok Caro.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.