Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

38,561 to 38,580 of 43,664 messages
14/02/2014 at 15:02

i wish you could be my childminder, Tt.

14/02/2014 at 16:06
M4 stuffed again. Two days in a row!!!!!!
14/02/2014 at 16:19

Lots of insomnia last night, boo.  I hope Vixo got off OK.  CM, hope the swelling in your throat has subsided with the tablets.

I just remembered Hoggle was asking about our insurance.  Caro is right, we do not have any insurance at the moment.  I have been looking online at small company policies and they actually look affordable but there is only 1 company who offers it here where we live so we are stuck trying to get hold of them.  I called into their swanky 'shop' yesterday but was told they only deal with personal policies there so was given yet more telephone numbers to try.  Ho hum, will try later.

The boys do not have insurance either, thankfully they are relatively healthy (touch wood) and generally only need age related check ups and shots (how American was that?).  Costs about $200 for each check up and at the moment we get the shots free by going to a local clinic.  Is a pain as we can't get them done at the same time/place as the check ups so doubly inconvenient but they could cost up to $200 each apparently so worth the hassle.

In response to Hoggle's question about the cost of having a baby;  Max was about $20,000 and Oscar closer to $25,000 (haven't actually added it all up so may be a little more).  We're still paying for Os (got him on 3 years interest free credit ).  I haven't checked the returns policy.....

14/02/2014 at 17:14

Oh my god!!  That is an insane amount of money............and I am a health professional who should know how much these things cost!

14/02/2014 at 17:34

It is an insane amount of money, the Americans are being screwed over by their medical system at the moment.  The insurance companies are making obscene amounts of money.  If we had taken out standard insurance when we got to US 4 years ago, we would have spent in the region of $72,000 on medical insurance plus for the 2 years we had babies in another probably $7,000 a year excess plus copays for every appointment.  Not good   We hate how exposed it leaves us though to catastrophes.

14/02/2014 at 17:52

I guess my sister works for the US govt, albeit indirectly and as well as a good salary she gets health insurance included.  I don't know about my mum, but I know she has insurance, just how its paid for I don't know.  When I worked for my 1 yr in the US my employers paid the insurance and it was about $2000 for the yr from what I remember. 

14/02/2014 at 19:38

OMG JT, I just had to google Jason Brown as I didn't have a clue who he was.  Apart from the long hair I'm a bit flummoxed!  I always visualized you as blonde too, aren't you?

14/02/2014 at 20:25

that is ridiculous, TTid. Why is it so expensive for you to get insurance??

JT - lol. gotta love 'em

14/02/2014 at 20:41

It just IS, CM.  I've finally got some quotes for the Obamacare scheme and they look to be over 3 times what the government web page was estimating, grrr!  For us and the other family who came out here from UK with us they start at about $2,400 per month total.  Like I said earlier, there are also excesses and co-pays so the premium is only the start of it.

Camlo    pirate
14/02/2014 at 20:56

Eek we dont realise how lucky we are to have an NHS system in this country! 

CM - ouch and scary too, hope tramadol gives you a little break from it. 

Got to visit but then road was blocked by a tree so had to wait for a farmer to come and clear it (i tried to heave it but alas even a tough guy like me had no chance!)

hubby was going to take me out but hadnt booked anything so persuaded him to get a chinese instead which we could all enjoy. finishing off xmas chocs, mince pies and a bottle of mulled wine... Bleugh! 

14/02/2014 at 21:30

Mmmmm, Chinese......  I miss a good old English Chinese (if you know what I mean ).  Don't  have anywhere near here that does crispy aromatic duck and so many of the other dishes are just different.

Also miss a good English Indian!  Shall stick to my fake lasagna I cooked this morning before work, used a can of mushroom soup instead of béchamel sauce and twirly pasta instead of sheets.  It smelled good and should be a lot less lardy than a proper one with all that cheese in the sauce.

Hope you are all being treated like the goddesses you are!  Happy Valentine's Day lovely ladies.

14/02/2014 at 21:57

haha no chance TTid. friday means dreaded drama schlepp which was made easier because motorway had been closed behind me (which would have prevented me getting home from Cardiff but not getting from home to drama). Then home to process kids to bed. Then N finally got here about 9pm having been en route all day from the n east. He is knackered and Grumpy. Why had that capitalised itself? And why has it changed has to had??

i had made hummous and also lentil and sweet potato pate so I dished that up with raw veg. Veganism still working out ok here. Although e said to me tonight "mummy you can drink my apple juice. It will help make you a bee-gun". Anyway n not overly enthusiastic about my valentines effort but it is better than his!!!!

14/02/2014 at 22:09

Blowing an absolute hooly here.  Nice dinner cooked by hubby who finally collapsed in bed at 9pm having been on a plane from HK all night last night.  Anyway he's home!  I got chocs, he got a balloon   

Time for bed, good weekends all.

14/02/2014 at 22:36
Blowing a hoolie here too. Ran 5 miles in it earlier - OMG. It was actually scary. Nearly got blown off my feet a couple of times in strong gusts. The rain managed to hold off for the majority of the time I was out though so that was a bonus. School pick-up in the rain - again. Nowhere for parents to shelter so I was standing in the pouring rain from 2:55 until 3:15. I have to go straight to school from the train on Fridays - train gets me to school just a bit too early, but not enough time to go back to the car then back to school. Had foresight to take a big carrier bag to put all Kit's stuff in so it didn't get soaked walking to the car. Car park at karate like a lake!

No flowers from hubby but a lovely card and he posted a very touching message on FB - had told him not to get flowers as we're supposed to be going to Wales on Sunday so not worth it. Just had an M&S meal but going to do something proper tomorrow when we have more time.

Cannot believe how expensive it is to have a baby in the US, TTid. Lol at interest-free credit!

Boo to the ongoing pain, CM. Can't believe the drugs don't work - hope the new ones give you some relief. Glad it's half term here, just looking forward to a break from the daily grind!
14/02/2014 at 22:44

Blowing hoolie here too. Scary

e gave me card today. She had made it and written it out herself with no help from anyone: mum. I hp yu hv vry hpy vlntn. She obviously thinks vowels are superfluous. Or already has the hang of text speak lol

15/02/2014 at 00:24

Minks I loved your husband's post on fb, that was so touching. 

Eek to running in that awful weather. 

CM, E is a natural at text speak. Love her message in her card, that's sweet. 

Glad you're feeling a bit better JT and hope you get some sleep tonight CM. 

15/02/2014 at 07:29

Oh I love the compoodu! J never writes anything (except under duress) so I never saw this from him. His spelling is brilliant though. But he would never have tried to write a sentence by himself aged 4. well not for me anyway

took naproxen (and lots of gaviscon), cocodamol and tramadol and slept from 11ish till 4. Pain back now and not shifting

15/02/2014 at 07:32

Oh and yes JT I need to know all the back routes into Cardiff. Will equip self with map and investigate

new boss phoned yesterday to say he was doing my paperwork and ask if 2 June was ok as start date. He says he is taking into consideration my 3 month notice period and fact hr is slow. He won't hold me to it if I can get out sooner. But I think it shows how nice he is that he isn't hassling to get me in and also understands sometimes you can't extricate yourself. 

15/02/2014 at 07:35

Just thought - hope Vixo got across the channel ok...

15/02/2014 at 07:45

Yes CM, NOT a night for a ferry crossing.  Maybe they were getting the train?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.