Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

38,861 to 38,880 of 45,801 messages
01/05/2013 at 20:41

Oh dear, wish I had a good enough memory to do a Camlo style summary

(((EF))) So sorry about yet more horrid news. Xxx

I need to Google hokas.

have given up even earlier tonight and gone to bed! I usually manage until 930, but staying up for Masterchef last night has done me in Work is horrible at the moment - we have an inspection tomorrow and Friday. It's not Ofsted, but it feels just as bad! Still, it is good to be back in the swing of things. 

Still feel pukey, but I have occasional flashes of normality - here's hoping they get more frequent

02/05/2013 at 00:19

Anniversary of my brothers death today (6 freakin years ??!!). Wish I was with my family not stuck at training in Auckland. Learnt lots on prev 2 days but over it now, having a break and don't fancy making small talk! Getting home late so for once I will be willing M to wake up early!!!

02/05/2013 at 00:39

(((Hoggle))) that is hard, glad u will b home later

02/05/2013 at 02:02

((Hoggle)). Even though you never forget them and it still hurts every day, there is something a little tougher about anniversaries isn't there?  I tried really hard not to know the exact date when my sister died but then I would find that around the same time each year I would feel down and not know why and then realise it was the anniversary.  Glad you'll be home soon. 

02/05/2013 at 06:58

Hope you're home next time you read this Hoggle! Hugs.

It would have been my step dads b day yesterday, first one since he died so called my mum-she sounded ok (she was surprised I remembered!) 

looks like a sunny bank hol wk end!  We're thinking of going to cantebury for a day out on Mon-anyone been?  

02/05/2013 at 09:53

hoggle - thinking of you

how gorgeous is this weather?

have decided to book in for a half marathon. i am fed up with constantly being injured and perhaps if i have a target to aim for, i will keep up with my pilates etc so that i can actually run. i am pretty much never pain free- even just moving around normally. BUT i did an hour of pilates at class last night, then went for a run and it was amazing as i had absolutely no pain at all! i can't remember the last time i ran with that little pain! however, back pain is back again with a vengeance this morning but as i am WFH i have done two conf calls already from my pilates mat, wearing headphones. all was going well until my phone slid off my chest while i was doing bridge and the battery came out when it hit the floor!

02/05/2013 at 11:27

Need a like button on here! Made me laugh that last bit of your post CM. Images of you in a bridge on an important call. LOL!

Edited: 02/05/2013 at 11:27
02/05/2013 at 11:40

haha MM. it wasn't that important, otherwise i wouldn't have been doing pilates

02/05/2013 at 13:21

I laughed at that too. 

((Hoggle)) 

tatty I'm glad you're getting windows of calm! 

Im doing past papers for my exam which is 2 weeks tomorrow. One of my answers amounts to saying dunno but I wouldn't! And the other says just step away and don't mention it ever again!! I may need to add some padding it's an ethics paper in case you're wondering! 

02/05/2013 at 13:44

lol - EF. it's a bit like that in some of the bid responses i've been writing. particularly like the ones where they ask for our strategy and examples of where we have done stuff before.  errr - big time waffling

i am having a grim afternoon. stupid arse-tastic solution director asked me to do some mapping of applications. sent me a powerpoint presentation with hugely complicated diagrams showing all the applications at 4 different stages of the project. asked me to map onto a spreadsheet list which has come out of a database of applications which are supported by different suppliers. i can't find many of the apps which are on the ppt slides in the spreadsheet. and the ones i can find have totally different information about them than it says in the powerpoint presentation

i raised this with him - saying i think the data is of dubious quality and therefore the exercise won't yield much. he replied back 'please continue mapping as requested and complete asap'. right-oh then. i shall waste my afternoon producing data which is no f*cking use whatsoever then, shall i?

02/05/2013 at 13:46

oh actually i was wrong. he actually said 'proceed to map applications as directed'. there was no please, and he doesn't request - he directs

02/05/2013 at 16:12

Have said it before and I'll say it again, CM - w*nker/t0sser/a*sehole!!!  LOL at the conference calls whilst doing pilates - very impressive!

Hope your feet have healed now MM!

Sorry to hear about what you've been through of late, EF.  But you will be fine.  There is always something to worry about when pregnant, just need to try to relax and not expect the worst all the time (easier said than done though).  Hoggle, hope you're OK too.

It's amazing what you miss when you're away for a while - had NO idea that TattyB was expecting again - many congratulations!  Was it all a bit random like J-P or did you have treatment for this one?

I take my hat off to EF and TattyB for keeping going with the desire for another child despite so many setbacks.  We made a decision a long time ago that Kit would be our only.  Occasionally I wonder what if, but I'm really happy with my little family - and I know that I wouldn't want to try again now and go back to the baby stage after 6 years!  Each stage is very special and no matter how many babies you have, they will always grow up eventually.  I just try to live in the moment as much as I can because those moments pass by so quickly.  I would not change anything, but I would make time stand still sometimes if I could.

Edited: 02/05/2013 at 16:13
02/05/2013 at 17:27

oh yes - i wish i could make time stand still.  i have had moments of nostalgia and sadness this week triggered (of all things) by E's last waterbabies lesson. i started waterbabies with J when he was 4 months old and have basically been going ever since. i have loved doing it as both of my kids have adored being in the pool. thinking back to the very early lessons with tiny babies and thinking how these weekly swimming lessons have been a constant - all the different pools we have swum in (loads of different ones), all the people we have met, all the fun we have had. it made me so sad. i know waterbabies isn't for everyone, but it has just been such a wonderful thing to do with the kids. more for all the laughter and fun we've had than for the fact that it has anything to do with them learning to swim.

seems like i have annoyed people as i've just had a call from my boss saying that the solution director wants me moved off... ostensibly on the grounds of my lack of mobility (can't travel on a tuesday) but i think it is more personality related.

02/05/2013 at 18:29

Yes, hows the feet MM? I had an enormous blister on the end and under the toenail of second foot which was a bit infected after my 100k. Doesnt  sound as bad as yours was but right ouchy. Better once the toenail came off  My feet are minging, will need to give them some tlc incase we ever get any flipflop weather.

Hoggle (())

Lol to CM and the pilates. I so want time to stand still. I am really not ready for the twins to start school (although they are!) I will have to grow up and put in some proper hours at work. Bah.

And where is the gorgeous weather CM? We have had hail today, yes hail... in May.FFS

02/05/2013 at 22:46

yes aree, where is the gorgeous weather??? Definitely NOT here, put heating back on this evening!!

Hugs to those who need them at the mo - Hoggle, TTid, Caro ((()))

Another one who has minging feet.  Have taken to filing everything down with emery board, find I get far less trouble with feet that way, and try and keep them soft. I file my nails off so there is nothing at all sticking out (have some manky fungal ones) ... and fingers crossed haven't lost a nail since the HIghland Fling last year. Kept all after the 100-miler

CM - he is such a wa*ker, the problem is HIS personality, not yours btw.  Glad to hear about the wonders of Pilates ... but then I am biased. Think a goal race is good for sure.

Time - yes - please can it stand still. My two growing up way to fast, can feel them slipping through my fingers ... but thankfully both still have time for mummy cuddles, and bed-time story reading etc etc and J almost believes I still have the answer to everything.

16 miles for me today - was meant to be 20, but dropped kids at school - along with Js bike for  Master Class (cycling), choc brownie for Bake and Cake sale and realised mobile still at home ... whizz round Tescos and 10 mile round trip to collect phone - dare not head out on run without it in case of disaster striking with kids!!! So one hour behind schedule by now. Still, headed out eventually on Dava Way and Romach Reservoir, found another monster hill to run up, got lost in woods and was glad I had OS map, got absolutely soaked and frozen by the rain!! Last 3 miles at 8mm and legs felt GOOD

Off away to Aberdeen tomorrow for girlie weekend (Eddie Izzard and old friend I've not seen for a year) Sooooo looking forward to a break from the house, kids etc (and will love them so much more for the break!). Hope to fit a recovery run of sorts in tmrw so don't have to fuss about it SAturday.

02/05/2013 at 23:42

Back home safely!! Good training but don't like being away that long and yesterday just sucked although to be fair it sucks whereever I am.

CM your boss/ senior people in your organisation are TERRIBLE!! Is it a very male dominated workplace? Not surprised you get fed up/upset! But does being moved off the project mean you can now avoid that particular arse?!

Trying to think back to what everyone has said and failing to remember sorry!!

Tomorrow we are starting some sleep training - M's early waking has become more and more consistent and early - 4.45-5am pretyy much every day. Our fault as when I was so busy/stressed I took the easy option and would bring her into bed as she mostly went back to sleep, only now she doesn't and coming into bed signals start of daytime!! This morning she had me 'reading' stories in the dark from 4.45am - ridiculous!!! So now anything before 6.30ish will be considered a night-time waing and treated as such - is not going to be easy or fun sigh......

03/05/2013 at 11:45

good luck with that then Hoggle! That said, whenever we've done sleep training, it hasn't actually taken that long provided you all buy  into it and stick to your guns.  When S was doing her middle-of-night until the wee small hours sessions, we cracked it within a week!  Why oh why did we wait so long to do something about it!!

Just over 9 this morning round the forest, felt pretty good. Legs feeling strong at the moment - just tempting illness and/ or injury now

Packing to be done and then I am away. SO hope you all have lovely BH wknds - with lots of sunshine - and yes, we'd like some sunshine in Scotland too please.

03/05/2013 at 12:38

Have a great time in the granite city CC! I had a wee bit of retail therapy when we were away, fat face and outdoor shop in Union Square were good!

Sounds like you are running really strongly and getting good training in. I got an entry for the Clyde Stride 40 (was on waiting list) so I took it but still not sure if I'll do it or not. The Lairig Ghru is tempting but anything that might require navigational skills scares me!

Got thoroughly soaked and frozen with hail and sleet this morning. Not impressed!

Good luck with the sleep training Hoggle. Not fun but so worth it.

03/05/2013 at 14:59

Blister is much better thanks, but the skin is now rock hard and only peeling off slowly, so bad hard bits of skin making it painful now. Trying not to be too aggressive with it by peeling off skin though as really don't want a swollen foot again. It was so grim. My toes were so swollen they rubbing together and I know have friction wounds on them too! 

You can easily run sub 3 Lotte. Go for it! On your current mileage, which you can only sustain for so many years its worth having a go. I do worry about your diet a lot though and was chatting to my mentor endurance coach yesterday about low carb diets among many other things we chat about, in endurance female athletes and he reckons the long term effects might not be so good for females. He has one female he coaches who was anorexic and eats a similar diet to you just to stay skinny and because she just can't bring herself to eat carbs, he is so worried about her, but then she hasn't had kids yet. So do be careful love! I have cut out shop bread after some research as it's making so bloated, but do still eat pasta. It's the yeast in bread and the lack of sufficient rising and proofing in 

03/05/2013 at 15:07

Shop bread that's to blame. Pitta bread and stuff aren't so bad for me. But I am still eating carbs And plenty of them !

Off for a wee plod when hubbie home. Did 5 miles very easy on weds but blister still hurting. Hoping better today as more skin come off now!  Have to say I have not missed running or any exercise. I did some Pilates on weds too but had 10 full days rest and have loved it. So much time to get stuff done. The garden now looks much better and so pretty in the sunshine. Loads of seeds sown, allotment dug over. Lads of coffee with friends and time for phone calls too. Def nice to have a break. Not coached either which as meant a total break. Had no pangs during the 10k either on Sunday. 

am looking forward to Cotswold relays now. I have another tough leg of 12 ppl miles, so lots of hilly off road trainning required. Toying with an autumn marathon to try again but can enter Bournemouth late so can decide before we go on hols to France after a few long runs. 

cup of tea drunk so time for more jobs before collecting boys at 4. Have good sunny bank hols folks.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.