Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

38,881 to 38,900 of 43,683 messages
06/03/2014 at 20:33

Ohhh Brookie you have left me in suspense........

06/03/2014 at 20:36

I took a gel at mile 8 and then finally started to feel some confidence in how good i was feeling.  I was really enjoying it!  I scoffed a few jelly babies from kids handing them out (can't ever resist a jelly baby!) and at mile 10 put my "Running Trax" tunes on.  I didn't really feel in need of the lift music sometimes give me (normally I prefer to run races with no music at all) but actually it just made me feel even happier!  I got quite emotional thinking of little Isaac and how running is the one big thing I still have of the old pre-babies Brookie, now that I am no longer a practising lawyer.  Feeling tears come, I told myself to stop being a big sucker and get on with it!

I felt amazing in the last 3 miles, my stride lengthening (or at least it felt as though it was - probably not in reality!) and I imagined I was zooming along like a Kenyan runner!  I suspect i probably looked like a deranged, grinning, red faced lunatic of a thirty something woman, wobbling along with flailing arms and a poor gait, but hey! 

I sprinted as best I could into the stadium, picking off a few people on the way, but it's a big busy race and passing people isn't always easy due to space. I checked my watch over the line and guessed I'd done something like 2.04 or 2.05 so was well chuffed when the text confirmed my time as 2.03.54.

And the best bit?  Having armed myself with Tena Liners...... I didn't wee! Even with the sprint finish!  Hurrah!

06/03/2014 at 20:49

Anyway, thoughts are now turning to what next? I have found a few local 10 milers, halves etc so may do a few of them between now and September.  I would like to get my half time to under 1.50 ultimately but that may be a goal for next year.  Then Spetember brings Berlin Marathon and October - Abingdon (with Pip I hope!!)

Off to buy "Eat to Run" and that run less run faster book.  Brookie is back running properly - yay!

Oh, and one funny thought I had as I looked around my fellow runners on Sunday was "wow, everyone has pretty smart kit on." there were some ladies in particular in totally matchy matchy outfits - like all pink and black with matching pink trainers. The running clothing/kit industry must be totally cashing in.  I mean, considering really you don't need much for running other than some decent shoes and some not too sweaty shorts and t-shirt, people had clearly spent some considerable dosh.  Right I will stop clogging up the thread with my waffle now.  Night all! 

06/03/2014 at 21:05

Brookie, great report and fab that you have your mojo back. 

06/03/2014 at 21:23

Well done brookie. I almost feel inspired enough to do the Alloa half on 16/3. Almost! 

Well done on dresses cm. I'm well into dresses for work at the mo. so comfy. 

06/03/2014 at 21:32

Oh yes, goodknob (haha, had to leave that autocorrect in!!). Good JOB on the dresses CM, I love it when you manage to find a few items at once as well, transforms your wardrobe. I've recently bought a few sheer see through blouses which I'm wearing with long vest tops underneath. Looks a lot smarter than my usual tshirts too. 

06/03/2014 at 21:39

Sheer is very on trend this season TTid. It looks particularly good on me right now as I can show off my highly se*y nursing bras....  nice. 

Go for the half EF! I'm off to watch "silk" on iplayer to remind myself of my former lWorking life. 

06/03/2014 at 21:43

Ahh now I can rest easy knowing the end of the story! Well done Brookie that is awesome - I love your mantra as well!

Good work on the dresses as well CM!

06/03/2014 at 21:47

Omg, I'm 'on trend'!!  There's a first time for everything!

07/03/2014 at 09:34

Sweep wasn't the nicest thing I've ever had but, as I said to the midwife, it's nothing compared to having a baby.  Only one or two up from having a smear really.  I thought it had kicked something off yesterday but I'm still here... waiting...  I am 2 weeks overdue on Thursday so at least the end has to be in sight.  Does this baby not know I have races to start training for?!

CC - I hope the running goes ok and those niggles stay away.

Brookie - really enjoyed the race report and read it with great envy.  I can completely understand about your feeling of the pre-children you.  After I had G, i did a few races that summer.  I was awful in some of them, my times were terrible (yours arent!) but I was so happy to be doing something that felt like me and also seeing the improvement.  It's a really good sign that you finished so strongly.

Lotte - Cyclopark info...Good points - it's nice and small so good for support and a feeling of being in to together with everyone there.  It's also easy to pick up your drinks/nutrition as they left tables out near the start line.  I did a 4h30 marathon and was lapping in roughly 15 mins so i never needed to carry stuff with me.  Parking nice and close to the start and an undercover area to get changed in before and after the start.  Other points (I wont say bad points as they arent really) - It's very twisty, turny.  I thought I was doing a great job of taking the racing line and ironing out the corners but my garmin measured 26.8 miles or similar when I crossed the line.  I know they arent 100% but others in the race measured less with their garmins. If I really did run an extra 1/2 a mile, thats about 5 mins at my pace.  Also I had trained for Edinburgh (i didnt do it as I had a stomach bug which is why i did this race) so I had trained for flat as a pancake terrain.  It's not hilly but it's certainly not flat.  Assuming you guys race the same way (clockwise), there is a reasonably sharp downhill bit and then a reasonable climb back to the start line.  It depends on what you are used to though.  I've always lived and run in really flat areas.  I read some of the race reports after and some people felt that the race was flat and I found it hillier than i was expecting. The multiple laps bit didnt really bother me although I was glad I took the count down bands that they issued as my garmin readings alone would have confused me.

07/03/2014 at 11:19

Hi Pip, thanks for the info, that's really helpful. The 100k I did last year in Perth was in a very flat park but I think undulating might suit me more. There is no flat bit where I live, I even struggle to find a flat 1 mile stretch for road reps! Count down bands would be good. I got really confused last time. There was boards but I couldn't really read them as I ran past. I was surprised at how quickly I lost count of the laps. I shouldn't have been really since I even lose count doing 2 mile reps at the track! Hope baby doesn't keep you waiting too much longer. Out of my 6 my furthest overdue was Dylan, baby no 2, at 9 days over but his labour was the quickest out of them all!

Great to hear the niggles are improving CC. Keep up the good work and hopefully great glen is still on for you.

Great race report Brookie. Well done.

Good luck for Sunday Caro. I feel like I am coming down with a cold this week too. Scratchy throat and sneezing. I have the inverness half on sunday.

Think you did the right thing re the wedding Hoggle. Now relax and enjoy your weekend.

CM - yay to the dresses and the counselling. You go girl!

07/03/2014 at 11:48
I use a teeny bauble on my finger to keep track of reps on hill reps & intervals, I just move it dwn a finger after each rep.
07/03/2014 at 11:51
Ooh just figured out a way to keep track of laps at swimming after writing that post. Could use a two bauble system one for each individual lap and different colour to keep track of every 10 laps
07/03/2014 at 12:19

Lotte - it will probably seem flat to you then.  The count down bands are good, but you need to remember to shed one at each lap, otherwise you mess the whole thing up.  You need a system to make life easy for keeping track as that jelly brain that appears in long distance racing makes 2+2 difficult.  Just make sure that the race either supplies the bands, or even better, you bring your own.  At least you can get some that fit ok.

Good luck for Sunday Caro.  Hoggle, hope you have a nice weekend.  Sometimes you have to put yourself first.

07/03/2014 at 12:19
Edited: 07/03/2014 at 12:20
07/03/2014 at 13:06

good luck too Lotte!  

not a full blown cold yet but still feel like something's brewing.....

Camlo    pirate
08/03/2014 at 21:24

hope you are Ok Pip!

Can see on fb that Lotte's journey hasnt exactly been easy, sending sleepy thoughts for tonight and speedy thoughts for tomorrow! 

Tt i cant keep track of laps even with reminders as i forget whether ive already moved it or not! 

Did the 5 miler today instead of the 20 round the lakes at elan valley. Thought i had dipped under 40 and was thrilled but of course my super dooper watch didnt start when the hooter went so the repeated pressing meant i was a bit behind official time and actually clocked 40:02!  Gutted. Then i marshalled for over 3 hours but didnt even get a thankyou! 

08/03/2014 at 23:02
Sometimes I still wish I was on FB

Boo to no thanks camlo. I ran the Rhayader 5 when pg with j. Was that the one you did today?
Camlo    pirate
09/03/2014 at 08:27

Yep, first 3 miles are downhill and i clocked 21 mins for those but then came the hill.......  it is a glorous course for the 5 and the 20, well worth travelling to as was on the list of top 10 uk races at one point. Next year there will be new organisers so not bothered by their rudeness (I also got told off for taking a jelly baby after my 5 as they were for the 'proper runners'). 

Off for a 10 mile off road now with the club who are full of lovely, fun, pleasant people! 

09/03/2014 at 14:55

Told off for a jelly baby?  Really??  Ouch to not being a 'proper' runner because you 'only' ran 5 miles.  Arses!

Am sitting in the chaos that is the day after a child's birthday. There are toys everywhere and Os is currently spreading muffin crumbs all over the floor too. Time for a quick DustBuster break.....

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.