Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

38,901 to 38,920 of 46,047 messages
04/05/2013 at 21:24

Hail with Minks and snow with RF? -The crazy weather continues ... 

MM, hope the boys are ok. We went through this last year too when Lily's best friend moved away too. I'm starting to take it personally now 

Interesting to hear about your working tours of East London Caro. I imagine Enfield is a bit nicer than Tottenham although I don't really know Tottenham at all and the only place I've really ever been to in Enfield is the pick your own farm which is fab and definitely worth a visit in the summer when the strawberries are out, yummmm!

Minks - boo to being a taxi service, enjoy your run tomorrow though. By the way which part of Epping Forest do you run through? 

RF - good luck with working nights, not sure how I'd get through the night, lots of caffeine I guess. Hope you manage to get a nap during the day.

Didn't get my run done until 5pm today as hubby was in Wales last night celebrating his brother's 40th and didn't get home til this afternoon. It was a lovely afternoon but I still prefer running first thing in the morning. Back to normal tomorrow though and getting out to do 9 hopefully in the sunshine 

Right, it's now time for wine ...

05/05/2013 at 00:38

Postponed sleep training as M was unwell on Fri night and Saturday and has since developed a selection of interesting spots. Cant work out what they are - poss chicken pox or hand foot and mouth. so quarantined today and off to drs tomorrow. Looks like a few days off daycare at least so won't get much work done!

05/05/2013 at 00:41

Sounds like weather is still pretty crap over there - hope summer comes along soon!!

great news about your friends baby EF - you need some positive news!!

sad to hear about friends leaving. I miss my best friends but have made some good friends here so far - would like to broaden our circle though.

05/05/2013 at 10:22

Hoggle - hope M is feeling better soon. If it's chicken pox the spots will fill up with pus pretty quickly so by tomorrow should be obvious if that's what it is. None of mine have ever had hand foot and mouth though so not sure what other symptoms of that one are.

9 miles done first thing this morning in the sun . Legs felt a bit rubbish though, and I was sooo slow today. Ah well, at least I got out and got it done. Now on with the rest of the day; have my mum and niece coming over for lunch but before then the kids want to go and play in the fountains by the local park so I'd better get a move on!

05/05/2013 at 12:07

snap Karen - 9 off road miles done here too. 

yippee to those with sunshine, having mums to lunch and getting off the bench.

Boo to spots (blisters on soles of feet, palms and in the mouth but not anywhere else makes it obif if foot and mouth), being poorly, friends moving away, walking through dodgy areas and working nights  (did years of permanent nights when eldest was little and hated that sicky feeling) 

05/05/2013 at 16:36

21.4miles for me this morn, sunny for about 7 of them + rainy for most of the others.

Not at all convinced I can get anywhere near 4:30 in this marathon,

took me almost that to do this mornings run + it didn't feel like I could 

go any faster

05/05/2013 at 18:00

Tangy, there will always be runs like that which demotivate you and knock your confidence.  It's just one run and probably your first one at this distance?  How many weeks until your marathon and how many more 20-milers have you got planned?  And you will go faster on the day, trust me.  I know I wasn't able to complete VLM but I was SO surprised at how fast I was able to run until the point I started to feel ill and it really didn't feel like that much effort.  It's hard I know, and I'm a fine one to talk, but you just need to have faith in yourself.

Caro, whereabouts in Enfield are you working?  I used to live there (well, Winchmore Hill, which is pretty much Enfield) and know the area well.  I know exactly where you are talking about re. the fruit picking, Karen - have run along there many times and have been to the Maze Maize which they have most years along the same road (not the same farm though).

We usually park at Theydon Bois and run in that part of Epping Forest, towards High Beech and Chingford.  If you've heard of the Orion 15 race, much of our usual route takes in parts of the course used in that race.  It's tough - VERY undulating - but I absolutely love it, except when the weather's been dreadful and it's thick mud and you don't run so much as slide around with your shoes full of water.  Today was perfect - warm, sunny and at 7:30 in the morning, lovely and peaceful, hardly a soul about apart from a few cyclists.

Then did a lovely walk with Kit this afternoon, along a bridleway about 5 minutes from our house.  The path goes right into and through a stable yard so we stopped and fed some of the horses, took a drink and a snack and sat at the edge of a field to eat them, looked at the view (Kit picked out his school right across the valley) and generally had lots of fun.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.

05/05/2013 at 18:56

17 next wk + 20 the wk after, then taper. Today's run wasn't bad + at right pace.

Supposed to do LSR at 11:50-12:20, so 12:12 that did run today at was fine, just can't imagine doing it faster

05/05/2013 at 18:58

did type a long post about my Mum being ill but lost it all, totally pissed off

05/05/2013 at 19:02

Aarrgh having rw issues on my phone, I give up

05/05/2013 at 19:25

Camlo (()) that just sounds so harrowing  and to TT for mum being ill.

Yay to that long run though - is a monster run so well done, the taper is for making your legs sprightly again, keep the faith!!

boo also to HF&M (although if it's that it passes quite quickly), and canx of sleep training.  Also boo working nights (agree that yeuch feeling is grim), sleet, hail and wind, and friends that move away. Have say, I am fairly philosophical about that kind of stuff now - enjoy the friendships you have, make the most of them, maintain them while you can (proper good friends will stay that way regardless of distance). And YES skype is awesome ...

I was born in Enfield, lived there for a few years, then in Holland then back to Enfield before moving to Woking when I was six. Mum is from Muswell Hill and Dad from Golders Green - so North London is well and truely in my blood!!

Ummmm - Eddie izzard was brilliant, even though I was absolutely shattered. Fabby couple of days in Aberdeen, hotel comfy, plenty of shopping, food in Jamie's Italian and a bit more shopping. Dropped friend back at airport today and then the drive back across home. So good to see her - have known her for 20 years, she had Hodgkins Lymphona last year and currently seconded to Stavanger with her family for her job. So brilliant to natter natter natter!

Meanwhile hubby home with kids and J was up vomiting 5 x last night ... so who knows which of the family is next!! He was at friends most of day yesterday (as was SCarlett) and their eldest and their mum was also vomiting ... sigh!

No running since Friday but managed just shy of 50 miles again last week . Hopefully something tomorrow as is BH and hubby not leaving again until Tues am.

05/05/2013 at 19:56

You will be able to run faster TT, just believe ....

Are you doing some miles in your long runs at your marathon pace? Maybe try next week to finish strong and get 3-5 miles at your projected mp at the end of the run. I can't run 21 miles at sub 7 min miling and if I did I would be crocked for ages so please don't worry. 

Sorry amazing weather here. Def caught the sun today. Trip to caldicote castle just the other side of the bridge. Battle re-enactments all day, was pretty amazing and I'm not into that at all! 

05/05/2013 at 20:05

CC, I don't know if I ever knew that you hailed from my part of the world originally!  Small world indeed.  I grew up in Palmers Green, went to Scotland for university (St Andrews) but moved back to London when my dad died at the end of my first year.  Then moved to Maida Vale when I met hubby and we moved in together, then back to Winchmore Hill when we bought our first home together, stayed there for a few years then moved a bit further out into Hertfordshire, where we are now.

Weather here OK today but didn't quite deliver on expectation.  After a glorious start, the sun disappeared and although warm, it was cloudy all afternoon.   

05/05/2013 at 20:05

IPad having a tantrum on me! 

Glass of rosé with BBQ sausages for tea sat in the WARM sun. Lush! 

Off to see yeovil town play Sheffield utd tomorrow in the play-offs. Quite excited! 

Thanks minks. No decisions made re. Marathons and don't have to enter Bournemouth till a month before nor London till Jan, so no rush on those. Cotswold relays then some nice summer midweek 5ks and a few 10ks first. Some speed work on the grass track and some off road hills. But two more weeks easing back in first. swam yesterday. felt fine and swam 2k in 40 mins as ever even though not swam for a year, but then got out and felt very spaced. Horizontal exercise, not good for you! 

Right time to chill now as no work or school to get ready for.....

05/05/2013 at 20:28

I go and see my friend in Palmers Green oncce a month Minks, we take the kids to Brromfield Park (her baby is the same age as Eric) and we go to a fab cafe for coffee/lunch/cake called Baskerviles.  It's only 15 mins from me.  Yesterday I was working nr Durants Park, off Green St.  Not sure it's a great area, the branch has been broken in to and the staff mugged on occasiona!  I felt slightly wary deciding to walk from Tottenham to Enfield, but as it was it was mid afternoon, loads of people about, match day in Tottenham so loads of police(!) and it was fine.  Ian and the kids turned up at 5 like I'd requested (he had the car so needed to be my chauffeur) just as I had put to sleep this cat, and the owner was crying in the rather small waiting area.  Matilda didn't say anything, but took it all in, then asked lots of questions about why the cat died, and where it was now (because I killed it....in a bag in the freezer) Then she phoned her grandma and told her in great detail about the dead cat!

BBQ with friends this afternoon, lots of pimms drunk so feeling very sleeeeepy!

Hoggle if it is H, F and M i pray you don't get it.  I've had it twicce thanks to the little darlings and it was truely awful.  I suffered far more than the kids!

05/05/2013 at 21:59

Sounds like lots of nice weekends been had.

Must have been so good to catch up with your friend CC. Boo to the spewy family at home though.

Lalala can't hear you speaking about sun, and warmth.

Great running TT.

Busy weekend here. Good running with 18 miles on Friday, 20 yesterday and then a hilly coastal off road 9 miles today. 83 miles for the week.

Followed my 20 miler with shoe shop torture yesterday afternoon. Community christmas party fund raiser today, Sunday teas in the local hall. I spent 3 hours drying dishes, I mean that is literally all I did, stood in one spot and dryed and an hour either side setting up/clearing up. Can think of better ways to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Bit of drama here after tea, we only finished eating at 7.30pm so I told the kids they couldn't go back out on the trampoline since it was Sunday and baths, early nights needed. They went off through the house and then a wee while later there was this great hullabaloo. The boys had decided to climb through their bedroom window and escape into the garden. Except they had managed to drop cCameron as they tried to help him out and he had scraped down the the wall and onto the path, its only a 6 foot drop but he has the most impressive scrapes from his elbows to his wrists on each arm. He is such a drama queen about blood so there was quite alot of noise and it took about an hour to get him to calm down. Needless to say I was not impressed with the older two, particularly Dylan.Boys will be boys i suppose!

05/05/2013 at 22:02

TT, hope your mum is ok xx

CC, hope you avoid the vomit bug, lovely to have a weekend away!

My Grandpa hails from London and his Aunts lived in Palmers Green, Elvenden Road I think, I was doing the family tree and they lived there for their whole lives!

We had a trip to Bocketts farm to see lambs etc yesterday and tried Martha on her bike again today, think she is close but still not quite there!

05/05/2013 at 22:05

Ouch!

05/05/2013 at 22:33

MM - we had the lovely Yeovil here the other day, not that we went to watch it but did see it on telly!  Hope the Sheffield fans aren't too idiotic - footy fans in general really put me off football!

Big big hugs Camlo, what an awful day and glad you are through it.

Sad when friends move away too - we had that before Christmas although they have only moved about half an hour away down the M1.  Still means it's so much more of an effort to keep in touch though, but we're not doing bad so far.  Other friends that we were just getting to know have moved to just outside Sheffield too, which means their son has changed schools so not in Sophie's class anymore.

Spent Saturday at birthday party no.2 this month - at a friend's house so thought it wouldn't be as bad as a soft play centre one, but oh the noise!  5 year old boys are such a rowdy bunch!  The tent got ripped, my friend's youngest (2.5yrs)' doll was being chucked about and had to be rescued, then one of the boys tripped and fell on her pink shopping trolley which broke...  Hubby was ready to throttle them after helping them to set up the Hot Wheels loop the loop then was virtually mobbed by them all trying to have a turn!  Felt quite worn out by the end and hadn't really done anything...

We've just decided to have Sophie's party at Kirklees Light Railway. Have invited about 8 of her friends whose parents happen to be our friends too, will take some party food and keep fingers crossed for dry weather!  I was tempted by the party package, but at £95 for 10 kids and 4 adults, although it includes a train ticket each, the party food sounded pitiful and it doesn't even include a party bag!  So reckon we can do it cheaper ourselves.

Went out for 7 slowish miles this morning in the partial sunshine.  I enjoyed it but was seizing up by the end.  Leg stiff again, can't work out if it's better or the same .  The osteopath put fetching bright blue tape up the back of my leg on Friday to try to help the muscle stay relaxed, but tbh it doesn't seem to be my hamstring anymore, more like ITB or even inner thigh muscle, hard to pinpoint it exactly.  Not seeing him again for around 4 weeks so I'll just have to see how I go.  Got a sort of fun 10k in 2 weeks so that'll be the test.

Sorry if I've missed people, not been keeping up very well recently as we had Ofsted in last week.  Need this Bank Hol to recover!  We're going to the local fair in the park tomorrow (called the Highland Fling - think the closest similarity are the Highland cattle in the adjacent field ) which should be fun.

05/05/2013 at 22:36

Mild impetigo so although gross (actually fine) no major drama. Few days off daycare so will have fun working!! Also mild eczema so no wonder I couldn't tell what it all was!

sunshine today after torrential rain so we will definitely be escaping outside!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.