Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

38,901 to 38,920 of 43,660 messages
09/03/2014 at 15:17

We were so lucky yesterday with the weather for Max's party, the kids got to swim after all and I even got a little sun burned!  Friday was cold and miserable so the weather turned just in time. Max was a treasure all day with no tears or meltdowns and his friends were so generous and he received some lovely gifts. We had a definite ninja turtles theme and are now surrounded by the little green suckers!

I guess I should start making space in Max's bedroom for his new toys, it looks like an explosion in Hamleys here. 

Looking forward to hearing how Lotte got on after her nightmare trip yesterday. Wong be at all surprised to hear there is some silverware going back to the island with her. 

Ok better go, Os is bashing one of Max's gifts with another one, might end in tears....

09/03/2014 at 16:07

CM are you still suffering with your jaw or has that pain subsided now?  Just read something on fb about 'oil pulling' basically swooshing coconut oil or similar around your mouth for 20 minutes a day. Don't usually believe those posts but listed masses of benefits and one was relief from tmj. Might be worth looking up?

09/03/2014 at 16:24

Hello, I'm new on here, I'm not a mum yet but I'm 9 weeks pregnant and after some advice please! I have been running for about 6 years, usually at between 6:30 to 8 min mile pace depending on the distance. I got an injury last November which meant I had to take some time off and I started training again in January also fell pregnant around the same time. I have slowed down a lot and feel like i've lost a lot of fitness, trying to keep my heart rate below 140bpm is impossible ! I ran a 10k race this morning at 8:30 pace which was really comfortable and I didn't feel like I was pushing myself at all, felt great afterwards but average HR was 172! Is this really dangerous?? I really want to carry on running throughout but i'm worried! any help would be great!! 

09/03/2014 at 17:26
I would say if feel comfortable and can talk without gasping then it's fine
PG3
09/03/2014 at 19:30

Hello, yes I am still here.  Blummin ek!  Even the phone stalkers are bored with asking now and have stopped

Welcome Sazzle.  I haven't really run in either pregnancy.  I tried with the first one but it made me feel really dizzy and I got injured in a bike accident in Feb last year and still wasnt better when I got pregnant for the 2nd time in May.  I've done lots of swimming though (I am in a swim club so we cover a fair distance in the hour session) and I continued at body pump at least once a week until I was about 35 weeks.  I've done more strength work in pregnancy no 2 as my physio recommended this. She said that CV fitness comes back a lot quicker than strength so felt it was better to keep strength up.  My back has suffered a lot less than it did the first time round.  Re the HR, best double check, but I think the recommendation of not to go over 140 or 150 bpm no longer exists.  It makes sense not to go to high though and not get too hot or dehydrated.

One thing I found about being pregnant and continuing to be active/train, people often have a view that you shouldnt do it.  I find most of these people know nothing about science or running/training, they just think that so they like to tell you.  I would have gone nuts if i had sat on my (ever expanding) backside for 9 months.  If anyone tries to tell you what you shouldnt do during pregnancy, I like to ask them which studies they are referring to when they give me their 'advice'.

I hope everyone's races went well today.  Sounds good for Caro's pb.  And running 5 miles in 40 mins is worth a jelly baby!!

Edited: 09/03/2014 at 19:31
09/03/2014 at 19:47

Hi Sazzle,  ditto what the others have said, listen to your body, don't push yourself too hard and be prepared to stop or slow down if your body gives you signs to do so.  If you felt good then that's a good sign, I'd say - well done for doing a 10k race 9 weeks pregnant when you're supposed to be feeling awful !

Camlo - boo to the miserable sods at the race, but well done on 40mins (ish!) - I did an hour and a second twice so feel your frustration!

Well done Caro too, fab racing today on FB.  Not seen Lotte's much so keen to hear how things have gone.

My physio texted me a session to try yesterday morning, then she will email me a training plan.  It was so basic - 5min brisk walk, 5 min run at 5k pace, repeat, then 10 min brisk walk - but my glutes on one side were absolute agony from this cardio butt workout so it was quite hard work!  Anyway not so much pain now which is good, so I'm looking forward to the training plan she's going to send me.  Felt sooo frustrating not to be able to go out for my usual run on such a glorious day but I must be patient...

Have been reading but no time to post and now forgotten everything so apologies.  We've had a lovely weekend up at Wentworth castle gardens yesterday then to the miniature railway this afternoon.  Even posting Avon catalogues with my two monkeys afterwards wasn't bad in the sunshine .

09/03/2014 at 20:12

Hello sazzle

well done racers  

My daughter has just cried her heart out for the best part of an hour because she had such a good time at the rainbows sleepover but she can't go to the next one because she will be a brownie. I attempted consolation by mentioning brownie camp and it being two nights but it backfired as apparently she would miss me if it were 2 nights. However she tearfully agreed to stay both nights! I was biting my cheeks to stop myself laughing. 

Kitchen still not finished. Good progress but lots of snags. That's what happens when you go with cheap! 

09/03/2014 at 20:14
Hi all

e's party this afternoon. 50. Yes. 50 kids

Oh god what was I thinking

One vomit on the bouncy castle. One head injury (my dear ex husband clowning around with a kid on the stage. FFS). One theft of 100 quid from a woman's purse. Oh yes. You get it all at my parties. Honestly it would seem overkill for a soap!

Anyway police called but basically nothing they could do. Seriously though. Thieving at a kids' party in a village hall?? We had exclusive use of the place.

The mum I co hosted with not only did sfa to help organise it. She said she would give me 120 quid towards the cost and then bid a hasty retreat at the end of the party. Without giving me a penny

But the best moment of all? When my good friend (neighbour of Tonys) was talking to his mum at the end of the party. N had turned up at the end to help me clear up. Tonys mum said "I don't know who that man is but he is really nice". Friend says "that is N". Tonys mum says "oh". Hahahahaha
09/03/2014 at 20:18

Hahaha to the N conversation cm but blooming Ada to the party and events! 50 kids though - Omg!

09/03/2014 at 20:19

Only a quickie but yes a good day for me.   1 hr 33.35 which was a PB  by 3 mins and 45 secs.  Really genuinely didn't know what I was capable of today. Was hoping for a PB and best case scenario was sub 1.35.  Hadn't had the best prep, and started coughing and feeling blurgh 3 days ago which never really went away but didn't develop into a full blown cold.  It is my home race so knew several runners, recognised lots of faces, knew marshalls etc so that helps alot.  Will do a race report soon I promise, but I'm not sure a multi lap race in suburbia makes for an interesting read......

And well done Lotte too!

09/03/2014 at 20:22

Wow Caro, amazing time! 

PG3
09/03/2014 at 20:26

Yes, 50 kids!!  The one and only I did was for my daughter's 3rd and there were 23.  I was exhausted after.

CM - text that mum who you co-hosted with and say something like 'great party today.  I didnt get chance to get the money from you.  Please can you transfer the £120 to me' and send your bank details.  Cheeky c*w, esp as she did nothing.

JG - one step at a time, literally.  Keep up the progress and you'll get there.  

EF - I know how you feel about having work done.  We had a loft conversion, new bathroom and kitchen last year.  The 10 week job lasted from the start of Sept to after xmas.  I am not even sure it's going cheap that does it as it seems to happen to most people.

09/03/2014 at 20:40

50??   Get yourself a glass of wine CM!   Yes good suggestion Pip, make sure you get that money from her!  Ha ha to the N comment, that's brilliant .

Thanks Pip - I've had niggles ever since I had kids really so around 5 years, so to be able to run niggle free would be fantastic.  I just hope it's not an age thing!

09/03/2014 at 20:52

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will carry on as much as I can and definitely listen to my body. Joggergirl- I have been feeling awful for a few weeks but yesterday was the first day I've felt normal for ages so I decided to do the race today, pleased I did as I feel loads better for it, easy recovery run tomorrow hopefully if I still feel okay after a day at work !

thanks again for the help x

09/03/2014 at 20:55

Hi Sazzle, you will feel different at every stage so you always need to readjust your strategy and what works one day may not the next. Stress is not good so if running helps you relax then go for it, you will know if you are pushing it too much. 

Well done Caro, fab PB

Grrr to party CM, i would be contacting the paper to report the theft - may guilt trip the culprit into 'finding it'. Pip is spot on with message to other Mum too, that is just rude And also serves as a warning for joint parties in future. 

EF - hubby frequently turns our house into a bomb site but at least he swept up a WHOLE bag of sawdust from the garage earlier which may help reduce it being trodden into the house. Dont let them off with snags otherwise it will annoy you and i cant imagine it was cheap. glad rainbow trip was such a success! 

JG - i get the walk/run strategy but 5k pace is a bit quick isnt it? 

Fab run this morning, 17 degrees in the sunshine and I left all my bad thoughts on the top of the mountains! 

09/03/2014 at 21:03

I've put a pic of one of the issues on the rw mums fb page. Pip if you want to join you can befriend me - Claire Newcombe - and I will add you. Let me know if you think I am unreasonable. It's just one of several problems....

09/03/2014 at 22:31

Is there a rw mums FB Group? Can you add me too? 

Sorry reading late and on phone but well done to all racers today. Fab times. And welcome Sazzle! 

09/03/2014 at 22:33

Oh and I have to say - jaw is on floor at stories of E's party CM! you don't just deserve a medal - I think you need a knighthood after that!!! 

Cant wait to read race reps from Lotte and Caro too. 

09/03/2014 at 23:15
CM- u should b sainted woman

JG- both my glutes r feeling rather tender after that workout yesterday, didn't seem that hard and only 10 mins too, but it definitely did it's job OUCHIE!
PG3
10/03/2014 at 08:42

EF - There should be a fb request waiting for you - thanks

Caro - amazing time. Really well done.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.