Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

38,921 to 38,940 of 43,664 messages
10/03/2014 at 11:29

wow caro - that is incredible . well done you! I am in awe!

I have just about recovered from the party, I think. it was obviously the talk of the playground this morning, what with the theft and all.  A load of mums were talking about it together in a circle, so I went over to say how sorry I was etc to the mum who was robbed. Then my friend (who knows what has been going on with the other mum who didn't pay me anything) popped into the circle and say 'sorry to interrupt ladies. thinking of holding my daughter's party in the same place. V (other mum who hosted with me) - how much did it cost yesterday?' she is such a laugh my friend!! the other mum just looked at me in panic so I took over. Itemised everything in front of everyone. Hahahahaha. Still don't suppose I will get any money from her but oh god that was hilarious!

10/03/2014 at 12:41

CM, that was awesome what your friend said, what a superstar!  Laughed about T's mum's comment about N too, hee hee. 

50 kids though?  Eek. 

10/03/2014 at 13:19

Camlo - I think the idea is I'm running at a normal pace but for a short time, then just brisk walking in between, so I'm not running on tired muscles all the time, I think??  I'll be interested to see what training plan she comes up with.

TT - yes I could hardly stand up from the sofa yesterday morning so it's not surprising my short run hurt!  I'm about to do no.3 now...had to have a day off yesterday to recover!

Just had a letter from BT apologising for the terrible customer service I've received and as a gesture of goodwill cancelling the £161 ish they were demanding (insert party face - smileys not working!)!  I'm soooo chuffed, it's been going on for over a year when we switched to Sky and basically they said we were mid-contract so had to pay the rest of the contract.  I was unaware we had started a new contract, though it did state it in the confirmation email which obviously I didn't read properly!  All I was asking was to listen to the phone call when I agreed to it to see if they mentioned a new contract at that point.  They've totally ignored my request, then I heard nothing from them since April last year so I wrote to them again in Feb as it was bugging me, and now they've backed down, hooray.  Oh and I contacted Ofcom and the Ombudsman as well which may have helped...

10/03/2014 at 13:47

OMG CM, 50 kids that's a lot mad. Eek to the theft and hope friend coughs up her share. We are having a hall party with bouncy castle for the twins this weekend. 30 kids which is bad enough. It is their first party though! Poor neglected 5th and 6th kids that they are

Stunning PB for Caro, woo hoo!

EF, hope you are surviving the stress.

JG that's great re BT.

So most of you know from FB that my travel plans have been jinxed all weekend. Plan was fly to Aberdeen, cheap pre booked train to Inverness on Saturday, leisurely evening in Inverness. Ended  up with a cancelled flight, flight to Edinburgh instead, bus to town, megabus was all fully booked so expensive train seat to Inverness arriving after 9pm! But at least I made it.

The half went well. It is a really well organised race and a good route, there are a couple of hills and a wee bit of a wind but not bad really. Started well, ok prob started too quick as first mile was 6.06 but then settled down to between 6.20 - 6.30s until about  midway when i got a stitch and started to panic a bit and lost focus. Managed to get it together and finished strongly in 1:25:31 which isn't a PB (that's 1:23:59) but it was great to find out where I am after having the whole of December off with injury so its been a limited comeback and build up. Don't often get a stitch was probably the cereal and toast I had for brekkie (and I never eat cereal or toast anymore) but having missed tea the night before I wanted to have a good breakfast.  Anyhoo that's my island games qualifying time ticked off which is good and now I can concentrate on longer stuff again - although I might be getting the taste for these shorter distances. Would really like to work on my 10k time now...

Got the train back down to Abz last night and crashed at BILs. My SIL was as pished as a fart when I arrived which was rather amusing until they started arguing and it sounded just like me and hubby!! Taxi to the airport at 5.30 this morning, flight was an hour delayed but made it home to see the 4 younger kids before school. Arrived to chaos, naked kids and had to do packed lunches 5 mins before the bus arrives but hey ho! At work now so better get on and do some.

10/03/2014 at 18:36

So it was a clear blue sky, little wind and 10c by 9am, so I was prepared for warmth. I got up at 6, ate a bagel washed down with coffee and lucozade- blurgh. Left home about 7.50 and walked/jogged to the start 1 mile away. 
I went to the loo several times in the last hour, had a gel with caffeine with about 1/2 hour to go, then did a few laps of the track and went to the start.
The start was on the track and I went to the front more or less to get off to a quick start. 
The entire route is one I run regularly so I know every hill, every landmark, every twist and turn, side road, kerb etc etc-a definite advantage. It is not traffic free and there was more traffic on some bits than I remember.  
The 1st small lap is about a mile and a half and starts uphill. The family were standing outside a friends house so I saw them and enjoyed the encouragement. Then after that small lap the route goes back past the entrance to the track where the start was so some of my friends from the club who were on baggage were out and cheered me on. The next mile is a long, hard hill. It's probably about a mile and a half and goes past some shops and cafes and as it was a sunny day the cafes were packed so there was lots of encouragement. Finally the hill levelled off and the route wiggles round a few houses and there was the 1st water stop. Well despite it only being mile 4 I took some and had a few swigs. I wouldn't normally need it so early but because it was hot and I wasn't feeling great I thought I'd better. I did have a small stitch which went at that point, but I would say the 1st 3-4 miles were very hard. Then the course goes down for a bit, crosses the M11 and a river before going back up hill, shorter but much steeper this time.  This is a bit of a bottle neck where the road narrows and you have to cross the road.  Fortunately the marshals are excellent and I’ve never had to stop for cars – they are always held up at the point you need to cross.  The next 3 miles are very undulating all the way back to mile 6.5 through residential areas, before the half mile of welcome downhill back to the track and the start of lap 2!  I saw the family again which was very welcome, had some more water and then it’s back up the long hill, which was VERY hard the 2nd time round.  After that I guess my brain knew the end was in site and it was all a bit of a blur.  I was running with a very tall, fit looking guy for a lot of the 2nd lap and we were encouraging each other.  He had a sore shin so was cursing and hobbling rather a lot!

The last 0.5 mile of downhill to the end is great as you can really fly, and then the end is on the track.  Once on the track I heard people yelling what I thought was ‘come on Lauren’ so I thought shit, there’s a girl right behind me.  Then someone said to the guy in front ‘you’re about to get beaten by a girl’ so that plus me thinking that I was about to get overtaken by a girl called Lauren was enough for a sprint finish and I overtook the guy (to many cheers and laughter) and then turned round to see no girls in sight – it turns out the guy was called Lawrence!

A girl who came in about a minute after me stopped and chatted after we had both recovered and said she recognised me from other races and despite trying on several occasions never manages to beat me.  On the first lap yesterday we were neck and neck for a while, until I lost her – not because I wanted to at all, I was purely running according to my garmin, but it just happened that my pace was quicker than hers.  Anyway, it turned out she is race director for one of the local park runs, and so she said I must go a long to it, which I prob will if I can figure out how to cycle there. 

10/03/2014 at 18:37

When she discovered I didn’t run for a club she said I really should and that any club would kill to have me, which I thought was very nice of her.

So overall I am obviously very pleased.  It was hard and at no point did I feel strong or comfortable or sure I could do it.  Last time I did it 3 yrs ago I distinctly remember feeling strong for the whole of the 2nd big lap and thought I definitely had more in my tank at the end – but I was training for the marathon so definitely didn’t give it my all, unlike yesterday.

I came 6th lady out of 187.

Right enough waffle!!

10/03/2014 at 18:38

Well done Lotte!  I can't imagine ever having the impetus to run races if I had to make travel plans like that!!

10/03/2014 at 18:50

Well done Caro, awesome running.  Your 1 mile jog to the start is actually pretty funny compared to Lotte's epic journey to hers this weekend.

Well done to Lotte too, I'm sure you have already told us but where are the island games being held this year?

10/03/2014 at 18:57

Oh and my splits of anyone who hasn't lost the will to live by now were

6.56, 7.01, 7.16, 6.51, 6.58, 7.14, 7.05, 7.13, 7.19, 7.00, 7.12, 7.07, 6.59, 6.12 (last 0.2 miles!)

I think you can see it was far from flat!

Camlo    pirate
10/03/2014 at 19:39

Hmm caro for a undulating course of which the 1st 3-4 were tough your splits are very misleading..... Are you sure you didnt start on top of a mountain and run all of it downhill...??? Come on tell the truth?? 

fab racing ladies! 

Off to bed now as cant really keep eyes open any more. i am broken! 

10/03/2014 at 19:42
Every one of those splits is faster pace than I could manage a 1/4 mile rep at Caro, amazes me the speed some of u run at.
10/03/2014 at 20:42
Same here TT!!!

Hope you are ok camlo

Went into woods for first time this year tonight. Did an hours walk with the kids. They loved it. Is tough going in places as lots of fallen trees and steep bits. Ellen loved all the mud. And Jacob loved being our scout and heading off to give reports on the terrain. Oh and the cat came with us the whole way!! Who needs a dog eh? I shall miss it when they turn into grumpy teens and refuse to come for a post dinner ramble!
10/03/2014 at 20:58

Some very impressive running over the weekend - big well dones to Lotte and Caro!!

EF I hope your kitchen stresses get sorted!

CM - that birthday party sounds like pure hell to me and that's before the theft! That mum is outrageous to be ripping you off like that!!

We have juts had a wonderful long weekend camping. The weather was amazing so were able to go swimming etc. I am so glad we made the decision to do this rather than the wedding (have to say I wouldn't normally duck out of a wedding). It was some much needed family time and as we had 2 other families with us, some nice relaxed social time as well rather than driving driving driving with a wedding in the middle. Have bought a lovely wedding present to stop myself feeling guilty!

Now back to the madness of work etc. Hubby got phoned up for work this morning so I am covering the extra childcare - M is in short days at daycare at the moment (ie. 3 not 6 hours) and normally hubby has her but everytime he gets called in to work I have to get as much work done in 3 hours as possible and then do the rest in the evenings. I'm putting her hours back up to 8-2pm every day from next week as I am finding it too tough!

Not much other news really, am hoping to do a 5km run at the end of the month which means I need to get a bit more running in. Butt is starting to get a bit lardy....

10/03/2014 at 21:50

My god Lotte what do you normally eat for breakfast then? No idea where you get the energy from to run 100 mpw. I would not run well after all that. Amazing time considering well done.

Superb run from Caro too. Well done.

Having a bad time here. Injured again, knee again. Really am tempted to quit trying to compete anymore, its all too much now the build up and let down.

Lost our beloved cat last night too. Very sudden. Noticed a lump friday, then vets Sat, kept him in then diagnosis of multiple bone tumours on Sunday. Feeling much more emotional then I thought I would and the kids are very upset. Poor wee sole had a tough life before we got him but I'm hoping we gave him some happiness.

10/03/2014 at 22:04

I saw on FB Lizzy B's cat died today too....not a good week for forum cats . V sad MM, I hope the vet was kind.  Do you use the ones in Chippenham?  Walters something?  I saw practice there as a student eons ago.

sorry about the injuries too, I know how hard you are finding all the working and fitting it all in.  I think that's partly my downfall, I have time to run, but then neglect everything else- core, stretching, x training etc etc, and so get injured and then wonder why.  as we all say many times, I don't know how Lotte does it and seems to be relatively injury free most of the time......and yes Lotte, how you run on your diet amazes me!

CM I would get all your receipts for shopping etc and divide them up then show them to her, or just casually give her your sort code and account no and tell her she can pay you on,ine if its easier for her......

10/03/2014 at 22:15

I believe Lotte will be travelling to the palm fringed, white sand, tropical island of........jersey

10/03/2014 at 22:19

oh mm (())  I can't even run. I manage a few weeks and then get sick. Has been happening for 2 years now. I don't know why. I am eating properly now. Still isn't helping. 

Flour free pancakes? I googled. And it gave me eggs and bananas. oh god. Boak. But I don't like eggs. And I like bananas but only when they arent too ripe and dont smell too much like bananas. That sounds mad I know. 

10/03/2014 at 22:21

sorry about the cat mm. Which one was it?

lotte should like jersey. Quite a lot of up and down. nothing hideous though. 

10/03/2014 at 22:53
Intrigued by the flour free pancakes too.

Bn having poo issues for a long time now and not sure if wheat/ gluten/ dairy/ god knows what else causing it. Tmi alert, but I go to loo immediately I get up and another one to two times within an hr of waking and it's always very soft. I could not run in morning without a minimum 2 visits to loo. That's not normal is it?
10/03/2014 at 22:56

((())) to all those with injuroes and recurring illness. Reminds me I shouldn't really be frustrated by not being able to train cos of the kids/housebound etc as at least I am injury free & can run a couple times a week. 

Breakfasts - bagels are a huge favourite of mine, but I generally have porridge or gluten free toast. I made my own wheat free granola recently too and now keep a batch handy. Couldn't believe the amount of sugar/sweetness the recipe gave so I more than halved it but added more nuts and dried fruit and it tastes good. If I don't make myself eat the granola or porridge though I end up eating E's leftover toast crusts and maybe a banana and nothing else. Not great really. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.