Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

39,001 to 39,020 of 46,345 messages
13/05/2013 at 19:47

Oh yes Minks, sorry missed you out  - well done on your secret marathon and does sound as though it wasn't meant to be this year in terms of pb potential.  Well done you for picking yourself up and running a different marathon instead though.

13/05/2013 at 20:27

Sory to hear your news RF, hope you are okay xx

Minks, well done on getting out there and doing another marathon even if it didn't go according to plan.

CC - I know what you mean, I have been freezing today, not sure why - very cold wind here.

I had to do a hair wash on the kids tonight, had to use bribery but its the first time Aidan hasn't had a total melt down which was nice.  Martha's hair is so thick it takes forever to dry too so I hardly ever do it.  It never seems to get dirty either but there was jam in it so it had to be done!!

JG - I only ever weigh myself first thing in the morning, after food I would definitely not want to see the scales!!

13/05/2013 at 20:32

Ss hair is like that - I have to tie it up on her head in a bun for bed and will still be wet in the morning but can only ai rdry it otherwise it turns into a dried out knotted mess (my mum tried to blowdry it once and it was carnage!). Hers is washed when there is too much yogurt in it!!!

Freezing cold wind here too - feels like winter again, but then it sleeted on me on the hill this morning.

13/05/2013 at 20:41

Tangleteezer CC is what you need!  And leave in conditioner!

13/05/2013 at 21:42

we have the tangleteezer and it's great, plus I use the Aussie leave in conditioner moisture mist on it if it's getting bad. TBH providing you don't put a hairdryer near it her hair is fabulous, but does get a bit birdsnesty at times because it's long, thick and wavy!  would pay lots of money to have my daughters hair though.

13/05/2013 at 22:14

so sorry to hear about your uncle RF and hope you managed some sleep today. 

boo to another difficult mara Minks - rest now girl!! Boo to crap furniture, dirty ovens, tangled hair, flat tyres and being cold.

yippee to more days out and mothers day chocs! 

Had a cathartic meeting with my (normally awful) colleague. Think we both realised it is management letting us down which makes us stress and therefore we take it out on each other. Have a plan, sent some emails with some suggestions to boss and got a positive response which was a relief. Still very fragile and tearful and now have a killer back pain too..... 

13/05/2013 at 22:23

Camlo, sounds like great progress, well done.  Hope it yields results.

Just a quickie as wanted to say thank you to CC for her nice words about my boys.  It really made me smile this morning at a time when I'm stressed ready to pop.  We still don't know if our house sale is going to go through and this is for a close date of a week today.  Will likely only know by Wednesday or Thursday.  Have nowhere lined up to go and are still doing due diligence on our plot of land so that might not even work out.  Bleurgh. 

13/05/2013 at 22:39

Big well done Camlo for tackling the source of your stress head on (so much easier to hide from it and complain!) and great to see you have made some headway. Not so good to hear about backpain though - so awful!! I hope it eases soon!!

Yuck to your stress T-tid!! These things have a funny way of working themselves out in the end - doesn't help when you are in the thick of it though!

Well done on your race Minks - you sound very positive even if it wasn't the result you were after which is great!

Umm who else? Hugs to RF - so much sadness for one family.

I survived my weekend work trip to Auckland. Conference was good but was constantly aware that I would rather have eben elsewhere! M had a wonderful time on the farm (as usual) and is totally obsessed with my dad at the moment!! Managed to catch up briefly with my sister which was nice. She is pregnant again (Rose is one this weekend). Excited for her but must admit to being jealous also. If I had my way I would be preg or trying to get preg now but its just not the right time for us yet. However we are making positive steps regarding hubbies career cange which is exciting!! He has just been accepted onto a welding course which will be the start of a whole new career. He is thrilled to have found something else he wants to do. The course starts in July and rund til Nov, then he would continue to study but hopefully get a job first and they fund. Will be a very tight few months on one (small) income but we will manage and the sacrafice will be worth it in the end for a happier hubby! Also the starting salary is better than what he is on now as a head chef!! Lots of career opportunities as well. SO will just have to wait until end of this year/early next year to start trying (fingers crossed).

Back down to the farm this weekend for my niece's first birthday. I have a long weekend too which will be nice. Matilda will think its heaven to be back there agin so soon!

14/05/2013 at 11:08

Thanks for all the positive comments, especially CC for not writing me off as over the hill just yet!  Caro, I think GFA is sub-3:50 for women over 40 (40-50 I think, need to check) but either way it doesn't matter because I missed out.  In some ways I'm glad that I won't be doing VLM next year though.  I can take my time and decide whether I want to do another spring marathon next year and face the horrors of winter training again so soon!

Haven't been to Gunpowder Mills but really should, it's only a short drive from where we are.  Must admit I wasn't sure how interesting it would be for Kit but from what you've said it sounds like a good day out.

I must have missed something as didn't realise your mum is poorly, JT.  Hope she is OK.

I'm sure Oven Pride does work but tbh I'd rather just get someone in to clean the thing!  Seeing as I have to work I may as well take some benefits from the money!

Tangly hair not a problem in this house - in fact it's hard to tell whether my hair or Kit's is the most baby-fine and dead straight!  I have problems injecting any 'oomph' into mine whatsoever; usually it just looks limp and flat.

Good news about your hubby, Hoggle - frustrating but it's obviously important that he enjoys what he does (at least a bit).  Having watched Masterchef a million times I would never, ever want to become a chef!  Good that M had such a lovely time on the farm too.

TTid, that sounds so incredibly stressful.  What will you do if you have to move within a week?  Can you find somewhere to rent in such a short space of time?  Good luck with it all.

14/05/2013 at 13:05

You're right Minks, didn't realise there was a separate age group for 40.  They have changed the 18-40 to 3.45, not sure if they changed the actual age bands as well, or just the times.  I should be getting something in the post in the next couple of wks confirming my place next yr after deferrring.  I'm so excited - not!  

I think Kit would really enjoy the gunpowder place.  

Right, bathroom cleaning....yawn!

14/05/2013 at 13:15

Yes, I'm just procrastinating about that very thing too, Caro!

I'll definitely take Kit to the Gunpowder Mills at some point, could be a good day  out for half term or the summer holidays ...

14/05/2013 at 13:32

Hearing you all talk about marathon training does absolutely nothing for making me want to run one. I have enjoyed the half maras I have done but think that is my limit. I managed to get really fit for my last few but that was before children. You ladies who still run well/competitively now with kids are amazing. 

Minks we live in an area full of vacation rental homes which are freeing up a bit now as the snow birds head back north so (I hope!) there should be a few to choose from. According to the web pages I have been on there are a few. As it's short term (I hope again!) we won't be too fussy. 

Typically the guy who works for us who is also a good friend and very practical, is away on holiday next week. Talk about rubbish timing.

Better sort out my boys. Max is watching 'Peter Pan Rabbit' and Oscar still asleep.

14/05/2013 at 21:32

Warning, this is a rant.

I have come to the conclusion that the only people in my whole family who try to accommodate others are me and Andy and my mum who does everything she can to help both my sister and me.

My niece has chickenpox.  So my sis asks what is best and I say I used a combo of pox clin whch was really good but I preferred to use virasoothe on Lou's lady bits.  So she buys virasoothe but refuses to fork out for both of them and then I get a text much later asking if pox clin is better than virasoothe and then when I said yes she says oh well I might not bother and just see if she improves a bit.  HA to her 2am trip to Asda. 

Anyway that's not what's bothering me.  My dad has never had chickenpox so when Lou got it (the day we got last baby's diagnosis of down's syndrome) my mum helped out by coming round for the morning I was going into hospital and then I sent Andy home in the afternoon - when everything ended up happening - to relieve her.  My sis doesn't worry about such niceties as a 71 year old man catching chickenpox oh no, she's got Carys going there tomorrow all day and then on Friday too when Louise will be there all afternoon.  Oh great.  Yes Lou's had it but I don't care, Friday is her day.  Now if sister's work were being awful about it then I could understand but they've set her up with home working from tonight so she doesn't need to worry!  But apparently she'll not be able to get anything done during the day if Carys is there so she needs mum to take her anyway.  ERM why did they bother?

BAH.

I continue...

14/05/2013 at 21:36

then there's Andy's side of the family.  New niece born 23 April by c section.  I first saw her last Monday 6 May.  Andy finally got to meet her last night.  And how far away do they stay?  Less than 5 mins walk.  But they didn't want any visitors.  At all.  Oh but they'll go and see her family and meet all the aunts and uncles last Sunday.  Even my MIL who actually had them stay with her for a year when my elder niece was born was not allowed to see her until she was over a week old.  What is that about?!  We basically had to beg to be allowed to meet her and hand over a gift?  It's not like we wanted a 3 course meal or anything or even a cup of tea. 

And as a total aside I bloody hate i tunes.  My iphone will not synch.  My i tunes apparently has nothing in it and the account keeps telling me I have the wrong password WHEN I DO NOT cos it works on the iphone.

14/05/2013 at 21:39

I have an exam on Friday.  Perhaps I'm a little stressed.  And this baby is kicking the cr@p  out of me all the time.  I'm fat, I'm cumbersome, I have a sore back, I feel like there is nowhere for baby to go and it's squashed to pieces in me, I've been constipated for days and my throat is burning in some weird way which I don't understand.   

SORRY!

Well done on the mara Minks!  It wasn't what you wanted I know but still a good time.    TT hope it all comes together!

14/05/2013 at 21:58

Oh EF you need a hug!!! And possibly some plates to smash!!!!

Grrr to the annoying family members - I would never expose an older parent who hadn't had CP. Its horrible in adults! I'm guessing your mum would never say no to them either. How many weeks are you now? As for the sore throat - probably ice cream is the only solution there!!!

Just spent ages on the phone with out internet provider trying to get wireless back up and running. To his credit he was very patient and got it sorted but has meant I have done no work yet and am now thoroughly distracted!!

14/05/2013 at 22:02

Great rant EF!  I can't imagine doing exams now.  Did more than my fair share of them getting my accountant qualification.  Never again!  Remind me, when are you due? 

That's really odd, not wanting any visitors at all.  Maybe I'm a bit odd or maybe it's because we don't have family here, but I would have welcomed any visitors with open arms.  Mind you we went pretty much straight from the hospital to the restaurant the day we brought Oscar home and there was a jazz band playing too!

Hope your sore throat doesn't come to anything.

14/05/2013 at 22:06

Oh and I'm going to rant now too, we are spending a bl00dy fortune on marketing at the moment for our company and our blinking web page is down, grr.  I only went on to check it because we discovered last week that all of the 'contact us' forms that potential customers have completed for the last 2 years have been going into a black hole and not being forwarded to us.  We must look like such a bunch of amateurs.  The woman who is supposed to manage all that is an external consultant and she is a nightmare, almost 100% teflon and won't let any blame stick to her.

14/05/2013 at 22:12

hmm. It turned into no visitors on our side of the family which really peed me off. 

I'm 28+4 now. Due 2/8. Ages!! I'm feeling humungous. 

Throat is weird, not painful juvira burning sensation like you can sometimes get from taking a tablet and the coating burns. 

Didn't help that Loulou was in tears tonight as her friend is breaking her heart and hurting her feelings apparently. I'm not sure how much of the tale of woe was true and how much invented. Argh. 

14/05/2013 at 22:12

Oh TT that's shocking re website! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.