Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

39,061 to 39,080 of 43,536 messages
16/03/2014 at 21:23
To be fair to the poor lad, he has a cough. And I think this was stressing him out. He is asleep now though. It took 90 minutes. He was so tired too. And he has this technique of breathing which works! But he was telling me he is bored of it. I must admit I snapped - I don't care if you are bored of it. It isn't meant to be interesting. It is meant to send you to sleep!! (Not helpful. But was fed up by this point!)
16/03/2014 at 21:32
Nowt wrong with that CM, it's the truth after all and he's sleeping now so had the desired effect. X
17/03/2014 at 00:21

Haha CM, your day sounds as exasperating as mine. Mine was capped off nicely by Os managing to pee on the rug in the 5 seconds he had his nappy off and I was looking for the nappy rash cream.  Seriously questioning whether we have it in us to manage 3 kids at the moment. Lotte, whatever you're on I need some

Daddy now putting Max to bed as I'd had enough when he wasn't cleaning his teeth but lolling on the bathroom floor. 

17/03/2014 at 19:10

Where is everyone today? 

Vixo I thought that was sweet about Isabelle and her birthday gifts, our list of gifts for Max was also very modest and he still seems to have loads of new things so more would have been completely unnecessary.

CM, hope J managed to get a good night's sleep in the end.  Max still wasn't asleep by the time we went to bed last night (10:00) so we let him come in with us which I love but does not make for a good night's sleep, yawn.

So lovely to hear you had some good weather, hope it lasts!  Has been pouring here since about 7:00 last night so very damp.

17/03/2014 at 19:51

I want a throat transplant!  Bought some difflam spray stuff.  It makes me gag when I spray it right at the back, and does help, but not for long.  Swallowing is so sore that I keep finding sinks/loos to spit in instead of swallowing!  Nice - not.  Annoying thing is rest of me feels fine, it literally is just neck up.  

Anyway, I didn't come on here to moan, need advice!  I am still looking for some shoes to wear round town (ie on school run etc) and as you well know I do tonnes of walking so wanted some nice trainers.  So I found these on sale

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Merrell-Womens-Road-Glove-Dash-2-Blue-Barefoot-Sport-Running-Trainers-Pump-Shoes/281247994250?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107092241%26meid%3D5554566033234064118%26pid%3D100034%26prg%3D20140107092241%26rk%3D0%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D290883258718

Oh god, hope that works.  They are merrell barefoot running shoes.  Now when  I run I do not wear barefoot shoes, but when I buy shoes for everyday living I don't even think about that sort of thing.  So will it matter if I walk many miles in barefoot type shoes when I don't run in them?  I assume not, but didn't want to buy them and then cause myself problems.

CC I ordered myself 2 sloggi crop tops online today, so they will do the job!  They had spaghetti straps too, rather than wide straps which I like.  The woman in M and S kept telling my to lift my boob and shape it into the cup - I mean that might work if you have something more substantial than me, but really I think she needs training in a) smiling and b) flat chested women!

2nd question - recipe for homemade sausage rolls anyone??  I bought frozen pastry and sausage meat, is there more to it?

17/03/2014 at 19:51

I will be interested to hear what the Dr says about your cramp CC. I have always had bad cramp (will check to see whether it coincides with TOTM). Recently have had it in my shin which is excruciating and almost impossible to stretch out.

Hubby at home today and we've already had a falling out - sigh!! I'm grouchy so am not very tolerant and snap when he does annoying things!

M decided on Sunday that she wanted to wear underpants, did quite well Sunday with lots of reminders and a few accidents, same yesterday but refused to do a poo on the loo. Today was adamant that she would wear a nappy to daycare. They've told hubby that we need to stick with it or she'll get confused but I'm not sure that it won't make it worse! I hate these things where there is no obvious one fits all solution (and I'm the one who has to deal with it mostly). Sigh...... could be a long week!

17/03/2014 at 20:11

oh dear TT - can't have been comfy with max in bed too!

J still coughing - worse as soon as he lies down. i think we must have been lucky never to have this before: at least it has never stopped him sleeping. but what with his sleep anxiety generally at the moment, it's a bad combination! anyway i have smothered him in vicks vaporub and given him a spoonful of (placebo i'm sure) cough syrup. time will tell...

cc - our Js sound so similar. J doesn't get the stuff about not listening (yet) but his handwriting is awful as is his punctuation. and he has been making stupid mistakes in maths because he can't be bothered to concentrate, whilst grasping new stuff easily! it would be funny to get our boys together sometime and see if they actually got on! am sure S and E would love each other!!

saw the consultant again today about my jaw - he says i just have to live with the remnants of the pain and clicking and that at some point it will happen again and i will get the cramp back. oh lovely.

no piano lesson tonight after school for J as his teacher was sick, so we went into town to the library which was like taking both kids into a sweet shop. they LOVED it. i then had promised them fish and chips so we went to a sit-down place in town (hideous - awful place). i ate nothing but they scoffed theirs while reading their books. must have been very amusing to everyone else in there.  two young kids with plates of fish and chips reading library books!

17/03/2014 at 20:16

bribery if she doesn't want to, hoggle? otherwise just leave it. it took bribery with E. chocolate buttons i remember. 1 for a wee, 2 for a poo.

caro - throat sounds awful. if it is that bad, i'd be questioning a throat infection. is it white? i know when it gets to the point that i am spitting my saliva, that i usually need antibiotics. however i also have a temperature and am achy usually with it.

17/03/2014 at 20:21

I took M to the library yesterday too CM - she loves it!

17/03/2014 at 21:53

Bribery is the way to go!  I remember feeling really bad about giving M sweets for using the potty, but I shall have no such qualms second time round!

CM I guess maybe but it came so out of the blue, and I do have a stinker of a cold, so my vet brain says it must be a virus, no point bothering the dr blah blah.  I don't remember ever having such a bad throat,  not for yrs anyway. normally if I get a sore throat with a cold the normal cold drugs get rid of it, but not this time.  I am popping so much ibuprofen and paracetamol and it is doing nothing, and the spray lasts 10 mins if that.  I guess if it is still bad tomorrow then I should go, but the thought of waiting in the walk in clinic with the kids after school........plus they have a dentist appt anyway.  I shall see how I feel in the morning and how much sleep I get.

17/03/2014 at 22:31

We do need to come to scotland sometime CC. J is desperate to notch Scotland up on his list of countries he has visited

j was 2yrs and 2 days when he said no more nappies. And that was it in the day time. No bribery needed. E on the other hand had to be bribed for the potty and also then to make the transition to the toilet. J wasn't dry in the night until the summer he was in reception. So he was just turning 5. E was dry in the day at 2yrs and 5 months and at night at about 3yrs. J still has the odd wet bed. E never does... 

17/03/2014 at 22:44

M is very happy using the toilet for wees and will say she needs to go and take herself off to use it but she's always been funny with poos and gone away to hide so I did figure that bit would be harder.

My instinct is that if she is really saying no, then to just go back to nappies for a bit and to wait until she says she's ready again - we have battles over so many other things at the moment! Will see how today has gone and see I think.

Looks pretty certain that we will be staying in our house! New owners officially take over house on 4 April but have advised property management company they want it rented out and for us to stay! Have also arranged to buy furniture from previous owner - $600 (approx. 300 pounds) for fridge, washing machine, lawn mower, vaccum cleaner, bed, cupboard, garden tools, wooden table and chairs and a few other bits so am very pleased. Means when we do eventually buy we won't need to buy much furniture to get ourselves started (the rest of the furniture in the house is ours). Now just for hubby to get a job!!!

17/03/2014 at 22:44
Hoggle - I think you either go for it completely or stop again and go back to nappies full time. E came out of nappies in about October I think as she kept going on about using the potty and the loo, but it took a month or two to get her completely dry as she forgot when she was busy. We have used pull ups for a very few occasions since - the 700 mile to Switzerland for instance! - but she's never actually had an accident in them so she's definitely fully cracked it now. (still in nappies at night though as there's no way I need to lose any more sleep changing sheets!). I don't think there's a problem in giving it a go for a couple of days, but then accepting it's not working and giving it another month before another try. She's old enough to understand that if she wants to wear knickers she has to wear them all the time, but that if she's not ready that's ok too - ask her what she wants!

CM - glad your jaw pain is improved, thought about you yesterday (rather randomly!) and wondered how it was!

Caro - have you tried soluble paracetamol/aspirin and gargling for the throat pain? I think it helps locally as well as systemically, and although it tastes vile I always use it when I've got a sore throat. If it does help you can gargle one paracetamol every 2 hours for long lasting effect!
And in terms of the shoes, I wear almost exclusively 'barefoot' shoes for my casual shoes now and haven't had any problems. I'm not doing masses of running at the moment and have never managed to get round to getting used to them running so I'm still using my usual trainers, which is probably a bit backwards, but I walk more miles than I run so it sort of makes sense to me! I have some vivobarefoot trainers that I bought really to use as my casual shoes, and a pair of merrell shoes I wore all last summer and now wear to work for when I don't wear trainers. I really notice it now when I try and wear heels or other more supportive shoes, they just feel really weird. I spend pretty much 12 hours on my feet when I'm at work and I'm much more comfortable in my 'barefoot' shoes than when I wear anything else, so I'd say definitely go for the trainers, but maybe take them out for a few shorter walks before you go all out and go for miles and miles!
17/03/2014 at 22:51
Oh, and sausage rolls - defrost the pastry and roll out if it isn't already. Shape sausage meat into a long tube and lay it down the pastry, brush the edge with beaten egg and fold the pastry over the top. Brush the whole lot with beaten egg then slice into pieces. Cook. People will think you're amazing. It's the easiest win in cooking!
I usually make two long sausages out of every piece of pastry, so if it's the pre-rolled stuff I put two lines of sausage meat about an inch away from each long side of the pastry, then fold the outside edges in over the sausage meat and slice all the way down the middle of the pastry to make 2 long sausages. Can't tell if that makes any sense, but I'm sure you get the drift - its not complicated at all!
17/03/2014 at 23:24

Ok i know its short notice but sportspursuits (sale website) have inov8's and if you use code inov820 before midnight you get an extra 20% off. i have just ordered a new pair of roclites which are rrp £100 for less than £50

17/03/2014 at 23:37

Right now i can spend longer on my proper post!! 

Boo to sore throats, cramps, poopy pants, scrammed eyes and uncomplimentary bra fitters!

Yippee to being able to stay in house Hoggle, new outfits, breakfast in the wood, fish and chips, good school reports, barefoot shoes and sunshine!!!!!!!

I get the lifting of boobs into bra, mine flap by my belly button otherwise - in fact any lower and they'll be sprouting pubes! 

Potty training is a very individual thing, i would say wait until child is ready and go with their flow. i didnt push pants until boys wanted to try and both were easy (musical potty was totally responsible for getting archie done) But they were pushing 3 i think. wish i could stop the thumb sucking as easily! 

Have been enjoying some runs but hubby has just said he needs to work saturdays so any opportunity will be further limited. Am tempted to enter boys for an aquathon in march but 2 wee reservations. Firstly archie cant swim a length and he would need to do 2 and secondly its an hour drive each way and average race time for toms age was about 7 mins (40m swim, 500m run)..... Might go for a laugh!! 

18/03/2014 at 01:43

http://www.justsloggi.co.uk/sensual-fresh-top-twin-ppacks

here you go CC, sloggi crop top.

thanks for advice on shoes and sausage rolls.  Think I'll go for the shoes and see.......but yes I won't go mad with them to begin with.  Plus as the weather gets warmer I often slop around in croc flip flops or my keen sandels and they are presumably not very supportive?

ok it's nearly y2am and I am a,wake because of my damn throat.  Hubby took himself to the spare room and I even took a couple of his co codamol at bed time to see if that helped.  Well it sent me to sleep, for about 90 mins then I woke up again still really sore. a friend suggested strep throat and I immediately poo pooed it as I have got cold symptoms but now I'm re thinking that maybe it is, as I have never had throat pain like this, at leas not in my adult memory........and it feels like its spreading to the roof of my mouth, and I just checked there with a torch and there are now white patches.  the GP has a walk in clinic that I could go to after school drop off, but it means taking Eric.  I don't want to waste their time if its 'just' a virus, but I can't go on like this.  

18/03/2014 at 08:06
Yes sounds just like when I have throat infection...
18/03/2014 at 08:26
Go Caro strep throat/ tonsillitis is completely different from a normal viral sore throat. It is not helped at all by pain killers and is extremely painful.
18/03/2014 at 08:27
And often antibiotics will kick in within 24 hrs and relief will b very quick.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.