Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

39,061 to 39,080 of 45,468 messages
06/02/2013 at 16:06

MM - i can tell you are treading a fine line. really hope it all holds together for you!

this morning's questioning related to an episode of Tom and Jerry, where Tom died and went to heaven. I didn't catch the beginning but E asked 'where is Tom?' Going to heaven. 'Why is he going to heaven?' Because he  died. 'What did he die of?' I don't know, I didn't catch the beginning. 'Why did he die?' I'm not sure - maybe he had an accident. 'What accident did he have?' I'm not sure - I didn't see the beginning. 'Where did he die?' FFS child! I told you - I didn't see the beginning. I don't sodding well know. He is dead, ok. He is in heaven, right. Does it matter why he died?!?!?!?! of course, I didn't say the latter, but she just doesn't give up. And yes, half the time the questions have no answer, or make no sense, or I plain don't know how to reply because I simply cannot know the answer to what she asked. And if I make something up, then I have to weave a whole web of elaborate 'answers' to further questions based on something I made up and I wish I could just stick my fingers in my ears and go 'lalalalalalala'

06/02/2013 at 16:57

Oh god CM. Sophie's questions have started and I can just see the relentlessness already. Oh god!

And  for half term.

Yes a very fine line, but I am hoping it will all pan out. Marathons are like this for me do or die which is why I've not actually made it to the start line of many!

Right best cook madam see tea and make our curry. Boys at a friends for tea. My pilates is cancelled as the teacher is too ill (am secretly rather pleased, but does mean I will have to do something at home, might avoid the legs though!!), and have parents evening at Sophie's nursery. Might need a glass of wine tonight !!

06/02/2013 at 17:21

it is absolutely relentless, MM. i do remember J doing this too. i think it was also pretty bad. but E talks so much faster than J so she can churn out WAAAAY more questions in a day that he could! i think that's what makes it so much worse! plus she just will. not. let. go. once she has a train of thought, she has to exhaust it. completely. i think J could  be distracted slightly more easily if you were on the ball early enough in the questioning process.

she is obsessed by a house which is being built on the hill near us. every time we drive past it she starts asking questions. this week, she asked who would be living there. and then she said 'i think it will be some people from the tunnel'. i was all  until she explained that those people didn't have anywhere to live so maybe they would be moving in there. (homeless people, obviously - she  must have seen them in an underpass). anyway, i explained that it was unlikely that they would be moving into the big house on the hill. (at this point, i should have said 'yes, of course, the people from the tunnel'), so then we got into a huge discussion about why homeless people wouldn't be moving into a big house on the hill and it went on. and on. and ON AND ON AND ON. and she just wouldn't let go. every now and then she would be quiet for 3 or 4 seconds and i would think 'phew. cracked it.' and then she would start again.

i suppose it's particularly relentless at the moment because, apart from 2.5 hours a day when she's at school, i have her all the time on the days the kids are with me. there's no one else for her to pester. just me (and Jacob - who gets as sick of it as i do!). perhaps once she starts school, it will calm down a bit!!

06/02/2013 at 18:37
Oh dear to all the questions cm. I get asked lots too, must be a girl thing. Today's specials included "why do you sweat when you get hot" which is fine because I can answer that! "Why are done people cruel to each other" and finally "why does food study in small intestine for such a long time?!" What? She is 4!!!

Most of the time she is satisfied with answers and doesn't sound as relentless as e. Sometimes though it is just the whole noise thing. I like being quiet and having thoughts to myself!
06/02/2013 at 18:38
Oh and she has discovered Siri on my iPhone so has been bombarding him with questions too. Ha ha
06/02/2013 at 18:44

that is EXACTLY what J was like at that age CM so I totally know where you are coming from!!! It does get better but it took a couple of years

06/02/2013 at 18:46
Meant "why does food stay in the small intestine" not study ... That would just be odd.
Edited: 06/02/2013 at 18:47
06/02/2013 at 18:55
Anj, lol that she has found Siri, should at least take the load off you for a while!!

How are you feeling? Not long now.... Now that O is here already, I can't imagine still being pregnant!!
06/02/2013 at 19:03

LOL at the small intestine ... WHERE did she get that???

06/02/2013 at 19:19
lol Camryn is the same, constant questions, constant chatter, people are always saying to me I must b exhausted at the end of the day. She has to vocalise every thought that comes into her head, but so does her Dad. Drives me flipping bonkers, I am quiet talk only when need to kind of person.

I wear my hair flat too CM, sometimes just rub a little serum through it to give a little definition if it's looking fluffy.
06/02/2013 at 21:01

I tend to go for "because it does" although it sounds as though E would probably find a way round that CM .

Argh, have inadvertently started a gay marriage debate with my devout Christian sister .  She refuses to accept homosexuals at all which I find really difficult to understand - and to make matters worse her boyfriend seems to be siding with me despite also being a devout Christian (him not me)!  

06/02/2013 at 21:02

I have the same problem, Ted is SO quiet at school, he lets it all out at home, and boy, does he talk! 

MM - keep well!  Really hope you make the start line this year.

CM - just try and think about the end of next week and plan what you'll do!

CC - the bench is getting quite uncomfortable now isn't it?! Lungs are definitely getting there.  Peak flow is frequently at and around 500 (woo hoo!) so just waiting for my back to sort and get the ok from physio to get going properly again.

tired.com tonight.  Two hectic parents evenings.  A football tournament to sort, an athletics team to sort (already had parents complain that their daughter wasn't in and I'd picked the athletic ones, erm?!) and a school trip to the castle to sort with nothing coming in properly.  Eek!

06/02/2013 at 21:03

x posts JG, ouch!

06/02/2013 at 21:22

ah - i disabled siri on my phone because it was annoying me. perhaps i should switch it back on and just tell E to ask siri!! fantastic idea. the 'because it is / does' etc doesn't work with E, unfortunately. she keeps asking 'but why?' in increasingly shrill tones until i want to scream!!

just been swimming for the first time in far too long. i take the kids regularly but never swim myself. thought i would do 50 lengths but once i did that, it felt rude not to make it a mile... it was hellish to start off with - far too many people. but then it emptied out and was lovely

am going to go and park my now capacious arse on my brand new sofas. woohoo! they arrived today and they look lush. i am going to have first sit on them too. no kids here tonight to mess up the cushions.

06/02/2013 at 21:58
Boo to bench filling up ladies, I feel your pain. MM your running still sounds amazing but I can imagine how it must be frustrating for you knowing you aren't at your best.
CM sorry to hear kids have fine to T's but every cloud has a silver lining and new sofa with peace and quiet sounds quite nice?
LOL to incessant questioning, i found myself in a very deep discussion about why some children can't stay with their mummies and daddies earlier.
Love the new baby news, soon you will all be carrying bags of nappies, wet wipes, spare tops and cars will be stunking of poop and sick.... Love it!!
managed a quick ish 5 earlier, then junior running club for an hour, scooted home and realised there was a committee meeting for our local 20 miler so only just got back in again.
06/02/2013 at 22:12
Who or what is Siri? Sounds like one of Tom Cruise's children!

Day 2 of work today and am shattered! Night all.
06/02/2013 at 22:32

ha ha Caro - that is all I could think of too ... have never heard of it as an app on a phone but I am fairly useless on that front despite now having a phone that can apps downloaded on it (hubbys birthday present to me - what was wrong with my old 'granny phone' I ask??!)

We ended up having a conversation about different religions last night - J is learning all about the Vikings at the mo and he has a girl who is a Jehovas Witness in his class who either (a) sits out of stuff relating to other religions or (b) they don't sing particular songs etc because of her ... frankly this annoys me immensly as I don't see why you cannot LEARN about other religions etc, it doesn't mean you are converting to them does it? Anyway, J was wondering why she can't partake in all this stuff either. I have ended up googling Jehovas as I know nothing about them really.

JT - that's fabulous news re your lungs, so fingers crossed the back catches up.   Did you ever return to the scary Pilates teacher???

Busy evening for you then Camlo - well done on the quick 5-miler in the middle of that lot

CM -  I nearly went swimming today, but instead did a good session on the turbo (if I do say so myself!). Not up to RF standards I am sure but I managed a whole 50 minutes on there which is a record for me, plenty of hill climbing included. No idea how many miles worth - at least 10 I would have thought? Maybe more?

07/02/2013 at 09:05

You would think a six year old would be tired after all day at school then after school club till 4.30pm, but my daughter never stops chatting either, last week it was all about bears, sharks and crocodiles, woundering if they would eat you or if you get friendly ones and also if crocodiles could eat sharks etc , don't know where she gets all the ideas !!  Also funny to hear all the playground chat, who's been naughty etc !!

Have been getting on fine building my running up after bout of norovirus followed by nasty cold at christmas time then yesterday took a spectacular spill  !!  Was running downhill on tarmac, went over my left ankle and landed mostly on my left knee, so today i have sprained ankle (not too bad), right knee bruised and a bit grazed and left knee grazed, cut and very swollen and bruised.  Am feeling a bit sorry for myself i must admit

07/02/2013 at 10:06

Feeling a bit down this morning. After discussion with hubbie last night we decided I would go in and chat to the teacher about the boys reading as they have both been on the same level for ages and read straight through their books very expressive etc. Obviously we listen to them every day and she listens to them once in a blue moon. But she insisted they were not ready to move up a level. I feel sorry for them as they have read pretty much every book on that level and they are dragging the bottom of the box with random often rather odd books. So now I feel like pants. She does have that affect on you their teacher, makes you feel awful for asking, very defensive . I just want them to feel motovated in their reading and keeping them down will not be doing that.

Anyway off to see physio today and osteopath and other jobs in town. 10 miles this morning. Supposed to be progressive but that was not going to happen, too tired and really icey cold this morning. Started with 8:45 and ramped up to quickest mile at 7:13. I did see glimpses of 6:xx but nowhere near where I should be. Feel a bit down about that too. Just praying it starts to click soon. Think am rather low on iron after heavy period and high miles as getting that burning feeling in quads up hill so decided to take two iron tablets a day during TOTM now. No idea how you run 100 mile weeks Lotte and still hit pace, I am struggling and just hope it comes good soon.

First aid course tonight for us club coaches, quite looking forward to it in a funny kind of way!

Good swimming there CM. Hate swimming but I can do it so a good fall back if injured. Might do some more of it over the summer. Def not aiming for anything specific in the autumn this year.

07/02/2013 at 11:45

Mind if I join you?   I do keep up but never post because I don't always have time to get on here consistently then feel bad when I can't remember what everyone has said to name-check you all.  But I totally identify with a lot of the current woes.

MM, feel your pain re. the marathon training.  I think I have to talk myself out of wanting to quit marathon training before virtually every run at the moment!  The cold, strong wind over the past few days has been a particular killer - I even found myself shouting and swearing at it the other day (fortunately on a bridleway in the middle of nowhere so no-one heard this crazy woman yelling at the wind!)  I had a virus a couple of weeks back (courtesy of K) which left me with a hacking cough just as the snow arrived.  Every time I went out into the freezing cold air (running or otherwise) it would set me off, and after my 16-miler a couple of Sundays ago I sat in the car and coughed until I was almost sick - and that was at the end of the cough.  Upshot is I seem to have strained one/some intercostal muscles so my ribs below my left armpit feel bruised and tender - coughing is incredibly painful and at its worst, breathing deeply can be uncomfortable.  Not too bad when running, although I did a hard tempo last Friday which was rather painful (not to mention stupid).  Also have piriformis niggles in my right buttock so will probably see chiro in a couple of weeks just in case I need straightening out.  I thought that marathon training would be easier now K is at school but it's not - life is just so full-on all the time there's just no opportunity to recover properly from runs or to rest/relax.  On Sunday I got back from a tough 20-miler (bitter cold wind), had a quick shower and then cooked a full Sunday roast while hubby went and did the food shop.  K was just coming down with tonsillitis so I confess to a quick snooze on the sofa while the potatoes were roasting!  But yes, it feels like I'm constantly walking a knife-edge between fitness and disaster.  No half-measures this time either - I feel that for past marathons I probably haven't pushed myself as much as I could have done and so this time my schedule is a lot harder (although still nowhere near the sort of miles you and Lotte run).  This will definitely be my last marathon, PB or no PB.  Cannot face training through another winter and summer training just isn't really practical with school and family holidays etc.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.