Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

39,081 to 39,100 of 47,632 messages
07/02/2013 at 12:01

MM, I would go back and see the teacher again if you're not happy.  Explain that you don't feel the boys' current level of reading books is sufficiently challenging and that if not careful, they will lose interest in reading.  I don't know why schools seem to be so reluctant to let children progress in reading.  K was on the same level books all last term - I commented three times in his reading record that we felt he was ready to move up and eventually they put him up about 3 weeks ago, just after they went back after Christmas.  Only K and one other child in the class (who joined last term from another school) are on this level, which is the highest in their class and higher than most of the children in the year above.  I don't know why he was kept at the previous level for so long though - some of the books he was getting were just way too easy for him and weren't holding his interest at all.

LOL to incessant questions.  Have never really gone through that stage.  He is curious, but we get a lot of "Did you know ...?" rather than him asking us questions!

Quick round-up - congrats to TTid on the safe arrival of baby Oscar.  Well done to RF and Camlo on those mad, mad, MAD races (you nutters!)  Boo to the bed-wetting - we put K back into pull-ups just for a couple of months before Christmas.  He was dry for a few weeks then started having accidents.  Just decided he wasn't quite there so gave it a couple of weeks or so in pull-ups then tried again and he's been completely dry since Christmas now.  He's 6 at the end of the month so it's taken a while but we have never stressed it, just gone back to the pull-ups each time then tried again in a few weeks.  Caro great news on the job, boo to M's tantrums though; quite a feisty one, isn't she??  JT glad your health is finally getting back on track.  CC boo to the ankle and lack of running, but great going in that race which sounded pretty tough!  CM frustrating run of poor health/injury for you too, but love the new hair - really suits you.

07/02/2013 at 13:42

ah yes, i've had the reading book level conversations a number of times. invariably i ask and they say he is on the right level. then a few days later, mysteriously he jumps at least one level. once he jumped 3!! i must admit i worry a lot less about it now. i don't think home reading books are the be all and end all anymore. we do a lot of other reading so the school books are just another set of books we read.

had a hell of a drive to Hemel today. took me over 4 hours. groan. have a security briefing this afternoon. imagine i will be struggling to stay awake...

spoke to kids for about 30 mins in the car this morning. they were driving over to school from T's via E's nursery. was lovely to speak for that long. at one point J said 'when can we see mummy again? can we see her this weekend?' T said 'what?'. J repeated it. T just said 'I don't know' in a really off-hand way. it was horrible to hear, but just confirms to me what a complete twonk he is. i expect his girlfriend and mum will be here this weekend so doubt there will be a chance to meet up. but i would bite his arm off if there were.

07/02/2013 at 14:08

glad to see you are still lurking Minks. I'm sure you've told us before that *** was absolutely your last marathon ... and here we are . I think it doesn't help that you start ramping up the longer mileage as the weather gets worse and worse, the kids continually have winter germs that they pass to you and frrankly it's a challenge to get to Spring mentally in one piece let alone physically!!  Don't let that piriformis hang around though - get thee to the chiro PDQ before it sets in properly like before. In the meantime are you rolling on a tennis ball?

Am with you CM on the reading, having got one child who is taking her time to get there and the elder one who eats books for breakfast ... there is so much other stuff you can read with them outside school that will keep their interest, especially if they whizz through the other stuff.  Mind you, J said he wanted to start reading the newspaper as it looked like it had interesting stuff in it - it was the article about the baby that had the dummy taped into it's mouth that had caught his attention. I'd love him to read paper but what do I do about the pages talking about paedephiles etc, surely an eight-year-old doesn't need to know about that??

Try not to get down about it though MM, sounds like a combination of everything at the moment, tiredness and hormones do not help put perspectives on things though do they?

Am so hoping ankle will be good to go when I get back from skiing ...

Am eyeing up the Lakeland 10 Peaks at the end of June as another possibility, have been up all the peaks at various times aplenty, depends if I can get ankle back up running again so I can start throwing myself up and down hills again ...

T will be a twonk until the end of his days, but clearly his girlfriend has blinkers  Before you know it the day will come when the kids TELL him they are going to see you and there will be nothing he can do about it. And it will be YOU they choose to see.

Edited: 07/02/2013 at 14:09
07/02/2013 at 14:36

Hear hear re. T, CC!  Once a twonk, always a twonk.  He's an idiot.  Nuff said.

I know, CC - but if I even seem to be considering another marathon please someone shoot me!  I am 99.9% certain that I do mean it this time.  I most enjoy running when there is no pressure and my longest run is around 10-12 miles, preferably in reasonably warm and dry conditions.  So 20-milers in freezing cold, gale force winds aren't really doing it for me at the moment!   Chiro appointment booked for first Monday in March - can't really afford it until then so will make do with the stretches he gave me last time for now.  Quite envious of your upcoming skiing trip - something I've always fancied having a go at.

CM, boo to the rubbish journey.  Mine was a nightmare this morning too.  Roadworks sprang up overnight on one of the major roads near us and the road between our house and the station/K's school was totally gridlocked.  Had to abandon taking hubby to the station - he got out halfway and I turned the car round, otherwise I wouldn't have had time to get home and make K's packed lunch before setting off for school.  We thought it was a bus by the station roundabout causing the problem but I discovered later it's definitely roadworks.  Normally takes me 10 minutes to get from home to where I park for school drop-off, this morning it took 30 minutes and I was still parking with 5 minutes to go before the bell.  Managed to get K into school - door had closed but luckily he was let in without a late mark - but had by then missed my train and had to wait 30 minutes for the next one.  Just to add insult to injury, my ticket somehow disappeared inside the ticket gate at Baker Street station and I had to wait for a member of station staff to come and open the gate to retrieve it. Bah.

07/02/2013 at 15:42
CC - there is a newspaper for children which some friends of ours get and really rate. I can't remember what it's called but can find out for you if you're interested. I think it's weekly.

I agree with the others, I'm not too fussed about what reading group Isabelle's in, as I assume that by the time they're all about 8 the vast majority of them will have the same reading ability. Some will get there fast, others will take longer, but will all end up somewhere similar. We get the same 'book' (they are about 6 pages long) for 2 weeks at the moment, and we are encouraged to look at all aspects of the book - punctuation, paragraphs, the story, why certain words were used, what everything means etc as they say there's much more to reading than just decoding. Isabelle seems to find it boring to read the same book repeatedly so we usually read it once and then use all our other books to look at all the things they want to focus on. But I agree, if they're bored they're much less likely to enjoy it, and I'm sure variety is important.
Edited: 07/02/2013 at 16:15
07/02/2013 at 16:56
Hi Minks half of me is jealous of u all marathon training & the other half of me is not to be!!!!!!!! It's hard on your body & mind I think.
I need a new challenge to focus on..........had seen a fab tri called the craggy island tri, looked it up, thought yay going to go for it and then noticed its sold out! Grrrrrrrrrr
CM- T is a prat end of. Must be so so hard hearing the kids say they want to be with you, I cannot imagine the pain of not seeing them ((((()))))
My girls were very different with their reading. C took forever to get it but R read straight away with no problem but now they are both good. Pretty good in oor wee school and they fly thro the books fairly well.
Took the dog to Inverness to get clipped today as the place I used to get her done appears to have shut. Pleased with the result and it was ??15 cheaper. Went to asda and did the shopping, M was being a right wee madam, screaming and throwing stuff put of the trolley. La la la as I tried to ignore the stares!!!! She keeps saying 'butt hole" & obviously doesn't have a clue what it means. Arghhhhhhhhhh. She heard R saying it the other day as she was explaining about a girl at school saying it!
Just cooking dinner. Gonna go for a wee run when hubby gets in........
07/02/2013 at 17:31
Isabelle keeps calling people 'pussy head'! It's rather hard to keep a straight face when she tries to justify it - 'it's ok, I didn't say poo head'. We've been focusing on not calling names at all whilst trying not to snigger!
07/02/2013 at 17:36
Ah yes, butt, stinky + fart are Camryn's favourite words just now, the joys!

She also makes up words a lot + I cringe when she says ones beginning with F, they often end up sounding too much like swear words.
07/02/2013 at 17:50

Oh yes TT, K is into the word 'fart' too   When I told him it wasn't a very nice word to use, he pranced round the room saying "fartfartfartfartfartfartfartfartfartfartfartfart...".  Apparently Darcy in his class says it, so it must be OK!

LOL at 'Butt hole' and 'pussy head'!!

RF, yes - if I wasn't marathon training I'd probably be wistfully envious of everyone who is (like last year when I ended up on the bench and had to pull out) but the reality is very different!  I think if the weather were to just warm up a bit and feel a bit more pleasant it would make it all so much more bearable.  Just praying there's no more snow headed our way!

07/02/2013 at 18:06
Aidan's most favourite word is Poo. He is such a boy. The more tired he is the worse he is for saying it as well so last night I heard it an awful lot!
07/02/2013 at 18:11
Vixo, one book for 2 weeks must be a bit dull. We get 1 on a Monday and its swapped for 2 on a Thursday, obviously the other extreme! Martha knows more than she thinks she does but we had a book about a guinea pug last week and every time the word guinea pig appeared she said Hamster. She mostly guesses and often gets it right from just looking at the picture.
07/02/2013 at 18:33
Hi all! I'm new to this thread as I am 6 weeks post birth tomorrow! i have a little boy called Oscar and was a regular marathon runner before the birth and ran to 32 weeks and swam up to the birth so was itching to get back into it. However when I tried to run yesterday I embarrassingly leaked. I never considered that a weak pelvic floor would stop me running.. My birth was straight forward but I ended up in surgery post after to manually remove the placenta and I think that's buggered up my downstairs. Or is this just normal? I did my pelvic floor excercises religiously pre birth and have been doing them lots post birth but obviously its not enough. So what I want to know Is did anyone else experience this post birth? How quick did u get back running and how quick did your pelvic floor recover...... If I can't start running again soon I may go mad!
07/02/2013 at 18:51

Yes boys do like to focus on poo don't they!!! And the farting obsession doesn't seem to abate with age really does it?

Current obsession seems to be saying sex for six at the moment, and then saying 'but it's not a naughty word' ... sigh

Vixo - yes please - I'd definitely be interested in that re the newspaper.

RF - that's a bugger re Craggy Island tri - I saw that listed in a freebie pull-out I got with another mag on outdoor fitness or trail running, can't remember which. Will have a look and see if it has anything else looking fab ... there is a well evil tri based around Torridon - Celtman - which looks awesome, but as I've said on this forum for years now, I really do need to master open swimming and front crawl, this might stir me to though as it does look awesome - the marathon to finish is over Benn Eighe

Welcome Lanky Liz - hmmm dodgy pelvic floors, we have had/have the whole spectrum on here.  I had a mild prolapse after both my deliveries, six weeks after arrival of no. 1 child and a week after no. 2 child. I had to stop running for 12 weeks both times and be seriously focussd on my PF and that did the job, pretty bomb-proof now (youngest nearly six) and lasts me through ultras the lot. Others have different experiences so see what they say. whilst i couldn't run I did loads of cycling - static bike and spinning classes which did great stuff for my fitness anyway.  Welcome aboard by the way, I have an 8-year-old son Joshua and a nearly 6-year-old madam called Scarlett

07/02/2013 at 18:53

Running in the wind, not my favourite but I think I've toughened up a bit since I've moved North!! and don't find quite as hideous as I used to, mainly cos the days without a stiff breeze coming from East or West are few and far between. Sometimes I find it wierd when the wind isn't blowing and I have nothing to lean into/blow me along!! Makes for telling splits sometimes though.

07/02/2013 at 19:24
Hi Liz, I have 3 under 5 and my pelvic floor isn't perfect but its coughing that stresses mine. I would do as many of exercises as you can and it will improve.
When you have your check with the gp they might be able to help. Congrats on the birth of your son!
07/02/2013 at 19:31
CC - it's called First News. I think you can buy it at some supermarkets, or get a subscription.

Kinsey - that's just the reading scheme book. We get it home on a Friday and it goes back the following Wednesday. We also get a school library book once a week, but most of the reading we do is from books we have at home or ones we get from the public library. I've just got her a couple of longer books for us to read to her - Enid blyton, and The Worst Witch, which I remember reading as a child!
07/02/2013 at 19:33
Thanks all. It's nice to hear that it can recover. I will just have to keep on with the excercises and learn to be patient (not easy for me!)
07/02/2013 at 19:44
Oh CC- dont tell anyone but my ultimate aim in life before my bones n joints start creaking is to become an iron(wom)an! And the celtman is so the only way to go! Toughest one I reckon its in my future plans...............hopefully. There is as u said just the small matter of open water swimming first!!! This year goal is to venture into the unknown loch waters! What do ya reckon,2015???????
Just did a wee 3 miles, nae much and wouldn't have put much of a dent in the large bag of mini eggs I consumed today )) I do like running in the dark.
Hubby just gone out on the bike! How dare him start cycling also, LOL!!!!!
Welcome Liz
07/02/2013 at 19:50
I have "be iron fit" by Don Fink on my kindle !!!!!!!!!!!
07/02/2013 at 19:51

Kinsey/Vixo, we get two school reading scheme books a week (one on Tuesday and as long as you've written in the reading record, a second on Friday.  Also a school library book on a Friday which is changed once a week and is the same reading level as the child's reading scheme book.  I also get a lot of books from the public library, although I'm starting to find that K is too old for most of the picture story books but too young for the 'older children' books.  I might start reading some Roald Dahl to him, I think he'd enjoy it.

Welcome Lanky Liz, I have one almost-six-year old called Kit.  Can't comment on the pelvic floor thing as he was born by emergency C-section once they discovered (5 hours into labour) that he was breach.  Pregnancy didn't seem to do any damage whatsoever to my pelvic floor (I did my exercises religiously on the tube to and from work!) so thankfully leakage has never been an issue for me.  Many here have had problems though but few have been long-term so there is light at the end of the tunnel!  Congratulations on your little boy - enjoy these precious early days as before you know it he will be almost 6 and you'll wonder where that time went!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.