Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

39,101 to 39,120 of 47,627 messages
07/02/2013 at 20:16
Hi LankyLiz - sympathy from me, I have 3 boys, eldest was normal delivery but left me with dreadful pelvic floor, 2nd was c-section but last was ventouse so pelvic floor completely knackered again. Now youngest is 4 and I still cross my legs to cough or sneeze! For races or off road work with jumping involved I use a mooncup which does seem to help a bit. 6 weeks is very early to be running again and esp if you are breast feeding, hormones will be making things very slack.
Boo to windy runs, feeling demoralised, having to stick to schedules, road works, lack of cash and wardrobe malfunctions
Yippee to ironman planning.... (don't tell anyone but I would love to join the club), newspapers for kids and errrr, um can't remember any other good stuff!!
We get 2 books at a time changed 2 or 3 times per week and hopefully 5 for half term!
Went to give blood and only just scraped through the drop test, got prepped and nurse missed the vein completely so after several attempts, vein collapsed and they got nowt! Did 6.1 miles in 51 mins which I was chuffed with and kids bedded by 7pm. Hair appt tomorrow - am seriously thinking of doing a TT / CM.....
07/02/2013 at 20:18
Go on go on go onCamlo, get it chopped!!!
07/02/2013 at 20:20

OK RF ... 2015 then!!!  You sound a step ahead of me in that you can do the front crawl, so maybe I should finally pull my finger out again and stop being feeble about it - that Celtman has got me a bit fixated for sure!!  They had a bit of it on the Adventure Show a while back too.  So if I get my ar*e in gear re learning to swim properly, then we both have to give open water swimming a go this spring/summer/autumn?

We get two books home on a Weds that are the same reading level, that we keep for a whole week. We also have a blue notebook that comes home each week with lists of words in it that the kids have to practice - some being the words you just have to learn, rather than sound out. Plus we get a story book but that is not of same reading level. 

Our library has just got in some decent early readers, proper first step stuff - otherwise it was Horrid Henry or similar which IS early reader but no good for those just getting on the rung.  Dr Zeuss has a selection of shorter stories that are a step up from the Cat in the Hat (my all time favourite story that though).  J also used to love Astrosaurs by Steve Cole when he was a wee bit older than Kit. Trying to think what else he's been into - sounds like Kit is similar to him in that respect.

Mine absolutely adore having poetry read to them too if you need a change of tack.  Even though J is a fabulous reader he still loves having stories read to him, and I spend half my life reading stories with the amount of time I have to hang around killing time with S while I wait for J

07/02/2013 at 20:21

x-posts Camlo

... and a CC - mine was lopped too

Come and join the Celtman 2015 club Camlo

eek to veins and giving blood. Been too long since I last did it, always used to be a nightmare my low blood pressure meant blood came out re-a-l-l-y slowly so I used to have to go for a brisk walk first and pump my hand a lot, could feel it flowing out - euch!

Edited: 07/02/2013 at 20:23
07/02/2013 at 20:23
Hahaha I read the go on go on go on and thought you were going to egg me into the ironman!!!!
Good idea I heard yesterday for clubs to organise
Day 1 morning 5k, afternoon 10k
Day 2 morning half mara, afternoon 1 mile
Added together gives a marathon!
07/02/2013 at 20:24

I am

07/02/2013 at 20:42

LOVE The Cat in the Hat CC, Kit does too.  In fact he just loves having rhyming books read aloud to him, and I've just started reading some poetry to him (a favourite old book of mine called I Like This Poem, published for the International Year of the Child in 1979!  It's a book of poems chosen for children by children and it's divided into sections for each age group - although obviously much is suitable for any age).  I'm not keen on Horrid Henry but will check out some of the other suggestions.  K kis quite into non-fiction books as well - he brought home one about mummies the other week (the Egyptian kind!) and it prompted an internet search for information about Tutenkhamun and the Mummy's Curse which he found very interesting.

Wind has dropped a bit here, yippee - but supposed to be back for Sunday (just in time for long run), boo!

Go on Camlo, chop, chop, chop ... and yes, you know you want to go for an Ironman (mad woman!!)

I am too light to give blood, went along once and was turned away.  Oh well, if my blood isn't good enough ...

07/02/2013 at 21:11

I can't stand Horrid Henry and was relieved J didn't seem to keen either!!! We also started on poetry with a similar book - my Puffin Book of Verse published in 1980 . I will have a browse on our shelves and see what else J was really into though.

That's my problem too on the giving blood front

07/02/2013 at 21:17
Erm, hello. I am a mum and I sometimes manage to run
07/02/2013 at 21:24
I think I've got that book somewhere CC, will have to have a look and see what Isabelle thinks.

I'm definitely not too light to give blood but it seems as though I've been pregnant or breastfeeding for years (since Sep 2010 actually!) so haven't been able to give for ages.
07/02/2013 at 21:52

in the run up to having kids we managed to travel to a few exotic places so they didn't want my blood then either!

The poetry book my kids love is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Like-This-Poem-Collection-International/dp/0140312951 which I got once I realised J was getting into it, Spike Milligans 'On the Ning Nang Nong' is a particular favourite which they love to recite top volume ... so look out Inverness Airport tomorrow evening then ... am so meant to be packing at the moment!

by 'eck ... then you fit the bill for here perfectly!! Sometimes we even talk about running 

07/02/2013 at 21:56
I'm not allowed to give blood either - they don't want your stuff if you've had it from other people
What are the rules of here?
07/02/2013 at 22:00
No rules. Introduce yourself and then pitch in!
07/02/2013 at 22:03
Ok, I'm by eck. I have a 9 year old daughter (and don't I know it!) and a little boy who will be 3 in a couple of weeks. He is classed as having "additional needs". We spend lots of time at the hospital (at least once a month). He charms the pants off everyone he meets, is very cheeky and they love each other to bits.
I started running to beat post natal depression, my daughter entered me into a 5k race for life and I kinda didn't stop...
07/02/2013 at 22:10
Welcome by'eck. We're a friendly bunch who talk about everything, sometimes even running!!!
I have three girls ages 2,6&8, all wee madams!
CC- have great time skiing ya lucky thing
Imagine swimming 3.8 Kms in loch shieldag, cycling over 200 Kms & running a marathon taking in two munros????!!!!!! Total madness methinks! The last person took 20 hrs last year...............the quickest 12 hrs
07/02/2013 at 22:11

I'm CC (Crag chick), I have an eight-year-old boy and an almost six-year-old madam. I hale from the SE of England but moved to NE Scotland 2.5 years ago and LOVE it up here even though husband mainly works in England!  Running was definitely a life-saver for me with PND and still keeps me on the straight and narrow now too.  I am a lover of all things long, trail-like and hilly but will also do whatever! Currently on the bench with an ankle/foot problem which does not bode well for 53-miler at end of April.

We encompass the complete spectrum of runners I reckon but all have the challenge of trying to fit running etc around the delights of every-day life and family. And we are a very friendly bunch.

And with that I am signing off for the night!

07/02/2013 at 22:12

Oh don't worry, I've studied the course detail with much scrutiny and STILL want to do it!! ... it's the Loch Shieldag 3.8kms which scares me the most though for sure

07/02/2013 at 22:15
That sounds insane CC! My family think I'm mad for entering NDW50.
I am trying to wean moo (my little boy) onto something other than Timmy Time or "that's not my...." books. How on earth do they cope with the same story 4 or 5 times a day?
07/02/2013 at 22:20
Welcome! I have 3 small people, all girls - nearly 5, 19 months and 7 weeks. Some of us (well, them really!) talk about serious running stuff, and the rest of us blather on about our lives, children, husbands etc, and generally enjoy the gossip an support. A lot of folks have been posting here for quite a few years, but we've got some more recent newbies too, and some of us have met up over races as well.

I feel like I've hit a bit of a wall this evening. Isabelle has been pushing all the buttons today - I'm there with you Caro! - and the lack of sleep is catching up a bit. I feel like I need to try and get O to sleep properly in the evenings but I haven't quite got the energy at the moment - and I do quite enjoy having a bit of quiet cuddle time with her as she already seems so much bigger than 7 weeks ago. I'm certainly looking forward to the weekend as my husband was working last weekend so it will be nice to have some proper family time (and some childcare help!!).
07/02/2013 at 23:11

Welcome Lanky Liz and by'eck - as Vixo says, lots of chat and gossip on here with some running chat thrown in for good measure. Can hardly believe that it's been nearly 3 years since I first introduced myself on here after graduating from the pregnant runner's thread - my, how time flies! I have 3 girls; 3 yrs, 5 yrs and 9 yrs and I plod along with my running, not particularly fast but I enjoy it

Vixo - I did the same with Anna and only started a bedtime routine for her when hubby insisted at around 6 weeks that she needed one. He was right of course but I could have happily left it for a bit longer just to get those extra cuddles in - I'm so broody hearing about newborns, love 'em!

Caro - it's the Waltham Forest half otherwise known as the KNI Borough Run that I'm thinking of doing. I just checked the website and looks like they do have chip timing after all but no medal  (t-shirt instead). I also found out recently that there's a big hill (by my standards anyway) around mile 10 - ugh, I hate hills, I'm such a wimp. Jury still out on whether to do it or not but I'm loving the training either way - fartlek 5 tomorrow, can't wait.

So I ordered myself a new Garmin this week after the other one went walkabouts. Am taking bets on how long it is before the old one turns up although will be really miffed if it does . I actually suspect I may have accidentally thrown it in the bin, as think I may have put it in a carrier bag which I think was then left in the kitchen. Oh well, have got an upgrade out of it as getting the 410 and only had the 305 before.

Funny to hear you all talking about chopping hair off as I'm still in the process of doing the exact opposite since cutting mine off a couple of years ago and realising short hair made me look like my mum - aaarrrgghh, no thank you

As for kids and their reading I don't think we'd ever struggle to find books for the kids to read no matter what level they were at as we have literally hundreds of kids books in our house, my girls do all like a good story.

Right, best get to bed as girls have been unusually restless and up in the night quite a lot this week. Poor hubby is shattered as he always does the getting up when I'm working, but no work tomorrow so it's down to me tonight. Night all!

Edited: 07/02/2013 at 23:13
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.