Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

39,161 to 39,180 of 45,460 messages
10/02/2013 at 08:35
glad you got there safe and sound CC, enjoy the slopes!
Lotte - do you keep detailed calendars to remember it all? Track session sounds super speedy to me and well done to the kids for their pb's.
Minks - I like the idea of a cinema trip for toms birthday ( all kids sat quietly in the dark surely means less opportunity for mess or mishaps) - we only have 1 little cinema close by though so need to check what is on too. may work out expensive though? enjoy your soak.....
Karen - I feel your pain, have been coughing for days and butt firmly on the bench. I agree though with minks no point running until you are better and missing the odd session is assumed - and allowed for on schedules. I hate shopping with kids, madness that all shops don't have a playpen that you could just drop them into on your way in and collect them on the way out.
JG - FAB park run - and 7th in your age group sounds fantastic!!! LOL to gay marriage debate, I personally don't care but can't see why anyone would want to go somewhere (Church) where they know they aren't welcome?. If you aren't religious why should you marry in church and if you are religious you would believe it was wrong?
Caro - hope E gets settled again soon. Funny how he is sleeping ok though, if it was infection / illness then he'd prob still want cuddles too?
CM love the coloured cakes but didn't think you had the kids so are we to assume you made lurid sponges for yourself????
RF - a mile????? Oh lord. Wish I could do half that without drowning and swallowing gallons of water. Hope you squeeze the running back in too.
Sat under a duvet with Tom downstairs as we are trying not to wake the others. Grandma having them for 3 nights and taking them to a spa as holidays. Not sure she will be impressed when she realises we have the lurgy.....
Hubby fixed all the units in my new utility room yesterday - looks FAB! will try and post some pics on fb but then you all know how rubbish I am at techy stuff!
10/02/2013 at 11:16
Arrgghh am sitting through 3rd night of M crying/wailing for several hours in middle of the night. No idea what's causing it - pamol makes no difference so don't think it's pain. She's had a very full on week and suddenly taken major leaps with talking so maybe some brain development. Not cool though - I'm exhausted!!! Off on work trip for 2 nights tomorrow - so sleep for me but a bit worried about how hubby will cope if this happens again.

Home tonight from a week at the farm culminating in my sisters wedding yesterday! Was awesome!! Beautiful day, perfect weather so all went very well! M wore wellies with her dress all day - will have to post a pic as looked hilarious!
I was worried about M being a ratbag with the dog again like at Christmas but she was great and also very sweet with her 8 month cousin so a vast improvement and much less stressful for me!!!

Great - M quiet now but I'm plagued by infuriating tickly cough!! Sorry not up name check - in bed in pitch dark!!
10/02/2013 at 14:03

Happier boy today - he did a mahoosive poo this morning after 2 days of stinky farts so maybe that was part of the proble.  Boys eh!  He did wake in the night, but if was before we went to bed so I gave him more durgs, cuddled him a bit then he went to sleep pretty quickly.

Just ordered M a Giro Flume helmet - was that the one you said Isabelle had Vixo?  We tried on one of the skate style ones but it was huge on her and not adjustable so we went with the conventional style - pretty white ones with flowers on so not too babyish, so it should last a while.

Still raining so I imagine lots of soggy long runners today!

10/02/2013 at 15:23
Hello, long time no post but have been reading!
Can I join in the complaining about being ill?! Have had a cough for days, last run was on thurs and managed ok, then got up for a 13miler on Saturday with properly chesty cough plus wobbly legs so hubby rightly told me not to be stupid! So feel worse and really coughing my guts up today and I'm very grumpy (hubby pointed this out), marathon training seemed to be going so well, managing most of my scheduled runs around work/sick girls. I know I can't do anything until recovered but you all know how it is! Brighton half next week so guess will call it an early taper!
And also have poorly children, Maggie got over chicken pox, I went back to work for two days then Rosie got it. She has really suffered poor munchkin. Spots have just started crusting but last two days she has been worse, waking up crying in the night, not eating, crying virtually constantly all yesterday unless cuddling me. We just couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then this morning hubby suddenly noticed gunk in one of her ears, so went to out of hours clinic and nurse said yes its an ear infection! Feel so bad we didn't figure it out earlier but I suppose Mags has never had one. Anyway, she seems to be over the worst and as the clinic weren't allowed to actually treat an under 2yr old we're going to wait til tomorrow and take her to gp. Doubt they'll do anything now and hope we're not being bad parents by not driving the miles to the out of hrs gp recommended by the clinic, but surely there isn't much can be done now...
Sorry that's enough moaning! All ok really, nothing life threatening, just when you have crying sick baby, sick grumpy non-running mummy and hyperactive toddler the house gets a bit wired

Can't remember all news. Except don't think I've said congrats to Ttid on here yet! What a gorgeous baby boy! Glad all went well and loved the race report
Expect Max just wants to join in the fun in your bed with O. Maggie now has Rosie in her room so they can entertain each other.
Hoggle, wedding sounds beautiful. Put a photo on fb of the wellies! Poor M crying though, ear infection maybe?!
Caro- big poo always helps grumpage. Rosie was blocked for days then I could not believe the size of the poo that came out! Had to show it to hubby I was so amazed helmet sounds nice too, M has a kiddimoto one for her scooting, it's v cute but girly pink with goggles on it.
CC- yay to skiing, enjoy!

Gotta go, screaming baby needs me, hopefully back later!
10/02/2013 at 17:19

Boo Sonya, get well soon to you and Rosie. No wonder you are feeling a bit wired.

Hoggle, yes please post pic! Hope you get a good night tonight.

Sorry to hear you are benched too Camlo, get well soon.

Had a wee dump of snow this morning. Wasn't expecting it and had a 20 planned. Didn't have to go first thing so plan was to drop Soph off at the netball tournie and then head out to get back before hubby had to leave with Reece for  football. Drove Sophie the 15 miles to netball in the middle of heavy snow shower, then drove home (managing to slide the car on a corner which was a bit scary, luckily nothing coming the other way), only to get a phone call to say netball was cancelled due to weather and road conditions so we had to go fetch her again. So in the end only had time for a snowy 17 miles. But at least that take me up to a round 100 miles for the week, imagine if it had only been 99

Roast in the oven, wine in hand (to make up for last nights fail) and about to tackle some ironing until hubby and Reece get home for tea!

Edited: 10/02/2013 at 17:20
10/02/2013 at 18:42

Get in bed with the wine Lotte, then it won't matter if you nod off .  Glad you avoided an accident - not nice conditions when it comes down so suddenly.

10/02/2013 at 19:32
Poor thing Sonya, see the pics on FB, looked painful. Wee soul. Rubbish your feeling yuk too, sending get well vibes your way x good luck for Brighton half but only do it if fully recovered
Caro- hopefully that will have sorted E out!
Hoggle- glad sis wedding went well & hope you get sum sleep tonight.
Lotte- yikes to the car & snow incident but glad all ok. Enjoy wine & leave the ironing I say!!!
Camlo- boo to being on the bench but yay to nice new units & kids going to grandmas for 3 nights.
Wish one of the grannies would take ours, driving us demented. Really need a night or two without them. Never have time to ourselves, ever.
Snow shower here tonight & has been cold n dreich all day, brrrrrrrrrr. 12 MTB miles this morning & 4 mile run this afternoon. Went upto FIL's before dinner to give them a tesco gift card as they look after the 2 bigger girls before n after school when I'm working. I had 2 vodkas so felt a bit merry & just wanted to sleep!!!
Just running a nice hot bath; girls in bed but not sleeping yet n hubby just gone out on the bike!!!!!
10/02/2013 at 21:06

Have ordered E's c pox vacs from the pharmacy, he's booked to be given it next Tues 19th - his b day!  I am such a mean mummy........

He was sad again all afternoon and very red faced.  Poor mite.

Snow on the ground here, but doubt it'll last long.

10/02/2013 at 21:34
After everyone conspired against my running this weekend I finally managed to get out tonight. 9 miles in the dark and wet. My feet are a bit achey but I feel so much better!
Moo used to get horrendously constipated to the point I had to use suppositories to help him go. I used to used a lavender hand cream to rub his tummy and that seemed to help, along with warm baths.
10/02/2013 at 21:39
What is Moo's real name? My Matilda is Moo, but only to us and never in writing for some reason.
Edited: 10/02/2013 at 21:39
10/02/2013 at 22:01
Michael Frederick James Cahill (plus surname). His dad named him before I was conscious after the anaesthetic.
He gets called Michael or moo. It doesnt seem to confuse him cos he ignores us most of the time anyway
10/02/2013 at 22:21
That 's quite a mouthful he'll be glad of the nickname-it's easier to spell!
10/02/2013 at 23:53

Hello all Especially the dedicated hardcore who've been on this thread for the last four years! Just checking in to say hello. Its been a LONG time! ahem...22 months exactly. I just checked...shock. Last time I was on here, I changed my name from Tamsin to Bogbaby, i'd just done Kinder Downfall Fell Race and was deliberating over whether to go for baby number two! Well baby number two, Louis came along last February 2012, in fact he will be One next Saturday! So I have Jim aged 4 and Louis now. It took months (again) to get back into my running, but I restarted last August and ran a short beach race (Blyth Sands) in december and joined a new club (Wallsend Harriers) a few weeks ago. Well i say joined...Ive been twice! Seem like a nice bunch and very handy as they meet just round the corner from my house now. So ive managed 16 miles this week...nowt compared to the likes of Lotte and co, but i'm doing my best to get out four times a week. I'm looking for a race to enter and might have another crack at Kinder Downfall again in April although i'm not really fit enough, so lookig for a nice scenic (ideally not too hilly) half marathon somewhere...from about May onwards if anyones got any suggestions! I only really run for the views! I've never been very fast! In other news I had my BIG FAT HAIRY 40th birthday last September. That was a bit of a shock! But i'm over it now. It was good to run the Blyth Sands race which is a handicap and see the women in the 50+ age group looking younger than a lot of women my age! Must keep up the running.....i WILL live longer..AND look hotter!

Loads of love to all and any race suggestions scenic 10K - half marathons in the North of England...let me know!

BB X 

11/02/2013 at 11:25
Congratulations on baby no 2 + the big 40 BB, there are quite a few of us on here a couple of yrs either side of 40. Mine was last Nov.

Was supposed to get up early yesterday + run 6 miles + couldn't b bothered, so my 1st missed run of the yr. Very disappointed with myself, was going so well. Anyway marathon training starts tomorrow so this should b interesting, my 1st marathon that will hopefully get to train properly for.
11/02/2013 at 11:52

Bloody snow here again.  Feels like everything is conspiring against my marathon training this year!  Poured down throughout yesterday's 16-miler but the wind was as bad as had been forecast so it was actually a more pleasant run than the 20 the previous Sunday.  My two lovely running buddies came with me as well, bless them - they have no need to run that far - which was a bonus.  16 miles in 2:10, bit slower than my last 16 but there were a couple of really muddy sections which required careful circumnavigating to the point of having to walk, so overall happy with that.  I felt strong right through and given the conditions it was adecent run.

Today's plans completely scuppered by the snow - wasn't expecting such a dumping given how wet it was yesterday; didn't think it would settle.  Just SO wet and slushy on the roads and pavements.  Might see what it's like by this evening - I can always put plastic bags over my socks before I put my trainers on, it's just not pleasant having freezing wet feet and I don't have any other shoes.  Just a short recovery run scheduled for today which I may be able to fit in later in the week.  10M scheduled for tomorrow so hope most of the snow has gone by then.

Scary when the car slides, Lotte - glad no damage done!  It was total gridlock on the school run this morning - I wish women in 4x4s would learn how to drive them.  One just sat in the middle of the road watching while I manoeuvred round her - thought those vehicles were designed to tackle difficult conditions, more so than my Seat anyway!

Tangy, don't worry about the missed run - you will be doing more than enough once the marathon schedule starts!  Good luck with the training.  Just hoping that will be it for the evil weather once this snow goes - it's been one thing after another in the 6 weeks since my schedule started!

11/02/2013 at 16:41
Was gorgeous sunny day here today, fab long run weather + it's my rest day
11/02/2013 at 17:53
I've been sorting out housework today. It's really boring and frustrating because I'm trying to clear and clean round Mr by ecks stuff. He isn't s tidy being at the best of times and work has been rather busy lately
11/02/2013 at 20:07

sorry to hear about all the poorlies. i have a poorly boy too. picked him up from his dad's this morning and he has been vomiting again. that's the last 2 weekends that he's spent at his dad's that he's ended up sick. now, call me paranoid, but the state of his dad's house is worrying me. it's fetid at the best of times, but a week after J had started the d+v last time, he still hadn't cleaned the toilet or the sink. i'm now paranoid that J has picked up something nasty from his dad's. took him to the GP today who agreed it wasn't right that he should be sick again so soon, so he has asked for a poo sample to send off so that they can see if there's anything that needs treating. this sounds bad but i'm kind of hoping it's some kind of nasty bug thing that is quite treatable by anti-biotics but then i can turn around to his dad and tell him to deep clean his house and keep it clean! i have asked him in the past to clean and he's said it's fine and no issue. and his bloody mother and girlfriend were there again this weekend, and i bet it's still as bad as it was when i last went in there. the same stains on the sink; the same gross, crusty towels hanging up.

anyway, poor J has laid on the sofa watching TV all day. E had a play with the girls next door for a while, but it's scuppered all our half term plans, including going to visit MM tomorrow. need to get it sorted, whatever it is.

sorry - me, me, me again.

on the plus side, i got a new shower installed, so i can now have a warm shower. woohoo! haven't had a warm shower since i moved in in may. over the summer, it was kind of tepid but since the temps have fallen, it's been cold at best. but now - woohoo!!!

11/02/2013 at 20:35

Oh, that is rubbish CM.  I bet J has been re-infected with the same viris because T never cleans the place.  If it's norovirus it's incredibly virulent and can survive on surfaces for up to 11 days I think - so if no cleaning has taken place then it's quite possible he could get it again.  Surprising that E hasn't gone down with it as well though?  You really need to be so vigilant with norovirus - thoroughly clean and disinfect all surfaces several times a day and definitely after any bout of vomiting/diarrhoea.  Really hope J feels better soon.

Hurrah to the new shower though - don't know how you've managed without!  I freak if someone turns on a tap downstairs when I'm in our shower as it immediately goes stone cold.  And I've come back from some of my long runs SO cold with the weather we've been having that without a hot shower I'd probably have hypothermia by now.  The last few times though I've walked in the door, freezing cold and/or soaking wet to find hubby is in the shower.  WTF?  I've been out since 7:30am and I don't get back until 10ish so why couldn't he have his shower somewhere between those two times??

No run today - too snowy first thing, then about 4" of slush everywhere all over the roads and pavements as it started to melt, now frozen so slippery.  Annoying.  After I've dropped Kit at school tomorrow I will check out my planned 10-mile route by driving round it - if it's too bad I will go to the pay-as-you-go gym up the road and do it on the treadmill - dull, dull, dull but maybe necessary.

11/02/2013 at 20:52
soooooo tired, kids gone to a spa with grandma for 3 days so I can cram work in. Just spoke to Tom who had done 34 lengths of the pool today. Not bad considering he was at the dr yesterday getting emergency steroids for asthma and he is only 5.
CM bleugh to more germs, no wonder you are cross! love the pics of E eating parrot cake!
Minks - do you find slush too slippy in offroaders? Not sure I can face a treadie for a long run.
ByEck - I hate housework too! Love your wee lads name, that's what I call a proper name.
Tangy - if I had time and sunshine I'd have said stuff it to the schedule! Hope you find it manageable when it ramps up and don't feel like a slave to it.
RF - good balance of bike-run again.
Sonia - big hugs to your spotty household.
bbbbbrrrrrrrrr don't know about anyone else but I'm freezing!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.