Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

39,241 to 39,260 of 45,767 messages
31/05/2013 at 00:03

Lou must be thrilled with her new skirt collection EF!!

31/05/2013 at 00:46

Beautiful summery day here too + the new swing Park 

opened today so spent practically the entire day there. 

Camryn was at Park til 9pm, with me, was fantastic. 

Well my dodgy cycle has struck again, period started tonight, 19 days this month, 36 days last month, 20days the month b4 

Kind of glad as it started without any warning + hoping this means

it will b done b4 marathon + 

won't have to worry about it starting on the day 

had bn worrying a bit + was considering ordering a mooncup 

so could have some protection on the day

31/05/2013 at 19:19

TT, as you say at least it's now out of the way.  I know I keep asking but I have head like sieve at the moment, when is your mara?

Period joy here at the moment too.  Soaking through an extra absorbency tampon in an hour or two.  The joys of post partum periods

Feeling really flat today, can't really put my finger on it.  I almost think it's because Mr TT is has stuff to do so is a bit more upbeat at the moment so I don't have to be his positive anchor, does that sound really stupid?  Also feeling really alone at the  moment.  Yes we have some lovely friends but my family are rubbish at keeping in touch and I really wish we had some more support with all our uncertainty and upheaval at the moment.  Sorry, moan moan moan.

On a positive note, the boys are lovely at the moment.  Max has been particularly gorgeous recently.  He is playing some awesome golf now and is loving being so close to the golf course as it means he gets to play pretty much every day.

Camlo looks as though she is having great time in gay Paris, hope Mr Camlo is over his sickness

31/05/2013 at 21:28

TT- marathon on Sunday 9th June

31/05/2013 at 21:53

Thanks JT, it really isn't like me at all, just feel like a limp rag and want to curl up and cry.

Margam Park sounds lovely and it's so good when you can really tire them out so they just fall into bed happy isn't it? 

TT - thanks, so not long now.  Almost time to taper.

01/06/2013 at 10:11

TT- sounds like it's just the heavy period causing that hormonal 

limp washed out rag feeling, all will change once it's over 

I am sure 

I am currently tapering + supposed to b taking it easy 

but new playpark not helping. Spent 4 hrs there yesterday 

2.5hrs b4 nursery + 1.5hrs after, I ache all over 

Thank God Kids went for sleepover last night + got a rest 

No running today, 8Mile marathon pace run tomorrow 

then 5Miles marathon pace on Tues + 2Miles recovery run  on Fri (I think)  then it's marathon on Sunday.

01/06/2013 at 18:35

Greetings from some tiny island in sweden!  100 houses, mostly only inhabited at wk ends in summer. No rds or cars, 2kmlong and 0.5k  wide.  Beautiful.  Sea temp 10c so not sure i will actually swim.  Paddling made my feet hurt.  Mostly nice weather but rainy this afternoon.  Ran a whole mile without stopping today, more than i'm meant to be doing on the couch to 5k prog but it is so stunning it would be rude not to.

Back to stockholm tomorrow then home mon am v early.  

Going camping end june for one night for a froiends 40th and think we'll have the kids in one tent and us in another.  Or i suppose we cpuld do one adult pwr child, nevwr really thought abput it.

CC i can relate to thw kids not wanting to sleep duw to daylight, sweden is bad for that!

Eric just heaf butted a tablw and has a cut and a blaxk eye, poor bababy.

Right, going to send this beforw it disappears.

02/06/2013 at 08:49

Thanks JT, might just make use of that!  Been reading but not much time to post - too much sunshine  and off for a run in a mo.  Hopefully post later!

02/06/2013 at 15:09

yup - agree JT, no idea why kids shoes have to be so limiting - can remember the pain when I was small trying to get them, would have thought it would be better now but apparently not!  Thankfully Js feet are broader but he has my high instep so that doesn't always help, S is narrow though. Last year I got J a pair of Keen ones in a sale somewhere which were brilliant as they had an elastic toggle thing to tighten them up etc but havn't started looking yet for this year!

Back later, been a bit manic here and feeling rather like I've fallen out of a washing machine!!! Managed to get 8 miles in this morning at a steady pace though at 7am.

Right, need to get pizza dough sorted ...

02/06/2013 at 19:08

gorgeous gorgeous day here.  wasn't meant to be which made it all the nicer.  Outside since 10.30am.  Just in.  Nose burnt, stupid tan lines. Fabby

Need to wash Lou's hair for first time since Tuesday when we had a wee trip to A&E to glue her head back together - slipped and fell backwards at school and smacked it off the wee pipes that go into a radiator and took a fairly large chunk out.  I usually wash her hair every 2 days, every 3 max and it's utterly rank at the moment but wound had to stay dry.  I think we just HAVE to do it tonight though, it's now full of suntan lotion too and the top is serious hat hair.

hope you've all shared some of this sunshine at some point!

02/06/2013 at 19:53
Just a quicky - JT, have a look at happy little soles online. They have brilliant children's shoes, and if you phone up, the woman who runs it knows the stock really well and would be able to advise on the best shoes for narrow feet. I've had the last couple of pairs for both mine from there and I think they're better than anything I've found on the high street. Ours have the adventure sandals for the summer - Isabelle in pink, and E in blue.

EF - hope Lou's head is ok!

Fab weekend here and we've been outdoors practically all of it, with a bbq at friends down the road today with our other closest friends so a few glasses of pimms to make bedtime more smooth(?!!). Our building work is finally mostly finished but I have found it seriously hard going with the disruption and mess, and unusually for me, have felt a bit black cloudish about it all. Just when we thought the worst was over, and had started using our new bathroom, water started dripping through our sitting room ceiling, which seriously nearly sent me over the edge! Luckily they only had to take one tile off the wall and sorted it out (one of the plumbers had it a screw through the pipe to the shower when he screwed the shower column in place!) and we're up and running again and on the way to sorting the house out.

Sorry, that was definitely a 'me' post, but I have been reading and mentally replying to everyone - because I know you're all very adept at mind reading! - and will hopefully have a bit more time in the next few weeks.
02/06/2013 at 21:07

eek to black eyes and cut heads, boo to weird cycles, leaky pipes and shoe searching. 

Yippee to eBay skirts, sunshine, hols, new play parks and BBQs. 

Hope the taper goes well TT!!!!

Any more news onyour job CM? 

Only managed 32 miles in the whole of May and feeling decidedly piggish but back seems better and I jogged 6 miles today. Have man v horse mara next weekend so needed to pull my finger out!  Loved Paris but glad to back with boys. Hubby got the stairs into the attic dressing room this weekend and put the lights in - WOW!!! Only some skirting, shelving and rails to make and then we are ready for carpet!!! 

02/06/2013 at 22:20

LOL at us reading minds Vixo!! I think house reconstruction + multiple young children would bring black clouds down on the most optimistic of us, and you always come across as calm and rational so I think you are allowed the odd lapse!! Especially if there is water coming through ceilings ... your weekend sounds lovely and yes, Pimms, or any kind of alcohol makes kids bedtimes seem much less painful!

Tapers - hahaha - don't think parents ever get 'ideal' tapers - I guess it's called Active Tapering, a bit like Active Recovery, which are all also good at . Hope this week stays germ free (are you on the echinacea etc?) for you so you are raring to go TT.

EF - eek to the head wound, that sounds a bit nasty for sure. Hope you managed to successfully clean hair OK.

Camlo - yes, it's always good to be back in the fold no matter how much we dream of escaping it!  Paris sounded lovely though. Loving the prep for man v horse! Remember you doing that last year. You will be fab.

Ummm, Litter Trekkers have 15% for tonight and the Little Adventure Shop have 15% off all week for those looking for more outdoorsy type stuff, picnicing things or whatever.

Friday was crazy day for me, and just totted up my mileage for the day - I did 74 miles, 14 separate small journeys and didn't go further than a 10 mile radius from my house. That doesn't make my environmental footprint look too good does it, but does explain why I felt a bit frazzled! Between work, post office trips, school runs, badminton runs, tennis runs, cub camp drop-off, collections and drop-offs from girls Pot Luck supper and finally crawling into bed at 1.30am!!!

... and yesterday I finally cleaned my oven , although could do with a final go over but it will do as I so cannot be ar*ed!!

Anyway, son back from Cub camp very grubby and exhausted but had a fab time - went kayaking among other stuff. How can they grow up almost over night though?

S had practise for ballet exam this morning and hubby departed for his week-long road cycling holiday with the boys in Northumberland at lunchtime. So I am pooped and should be in bed by now I guess.

Edited: 02/06/2013 at 22:22
02/06/2013 at 22:33

ha ha - J didn't even bother to deny it ... he said it was creepy in the toilets so he didn't hang about in there to clean them - yeah right - he's just a grubby boy!!! He made me chuckle lots actually - he couldn't remember which clothes he'd worn and which he hadn't so had no idea if he was wearing clean pants each day and fully admitted that there was kit everywhere ... having been a Scout Leader and run Explorer Scout Units I expected nothing less.  In fact, I can guarantee his tent still probably didn't look as bad as the three girls I had in my contingent we took to World Scout Jamboree in Thailand in 2002/3 - oh my lord, I have never seen anything like it!!!

Edited: 02/06/2013 at 22:34
02/06/2013 at 22:43

CC- have never taken echinacea, but rarely get ill (probably shouldn't have said that, will have jinxed it) 

02/06/2013 at 22:53

Taper going well, 8miles at 10mM this morn, was aiming for 10:10 but it was 4miles dwnhill followed by 4miles uphill 

so hard to pace it right + didn't expect to do the uphill bit 

as comfortably as I did, seem to have acclimatised to the warmer 

weather too thankfully

5miles @marathon pace on Wed + 2mile recovery on Fri 

don't know what I'm going to do with myself with only 2 runs til Sunday 

03/06/2013 at 13:56

Good luck TT, sounds as though your preparations are going well!

EF - that sounds nasty, poor Lou!  I can imagine how rank her hair must have got, hope it washed ok.

Well the boy is in bed and quiet for the first time in nearly 2 weeks...is he asleep??  He has shrieked every day that I've tried to get him to have a nap so I fully expected the same today, but he is clearly tired, spending most of his time lying on his tummy sucking his thumb!

Sophie lost her first tooth last week totally unexpectedly in the car!  She is 5 on the 14th so pretty young to be losing teeth I think??  Then yesterday she was playing with her Bear hanging by her teeth (?!) and has pulled the other bottom tooth so that it bled for a while and was quite painful, and is now wobbly!  Her main fear is swallowing the wobbly tooth...she informed me that she would just like orange juice for her lunch today!

And I had a great run yesterday morning, squeezed in before pub lunch with the in-laws so I decided to do the shorter run of just under 5.5 miles, but quickly (been reading RW about shorter faster runs sometimes being more effective than constant LSRs!) and was so pleased to zoom round and feel reasonably fit .  My leg has barely bothered me since, maybe it's finally better??  It's hard to explain, but I feel as though the other muscles in my leg are somehow stronger or working more effectively which I'm thinking is now taking the pressure off my hamstrings/glutes which were getting so tight.  I had my last osteo appointment last Tues so maybe it has worked...fingers crossed...

Unfortunately as a swap I could barely turn my head by yesterday afternoon  - it was definitely worse after my run but I think it was a bit stiff in the morning too.  No idea why a run would make my neck/shoulder stiffen?  Anyway I'm popping the painkillers and hoping it'll ease off in a day or two.  Had to cancel Bodypump tonight though .

Just gorgeous weather at the moment - at last!  Looks set to get warmer by the weekend too.

All sounding very quiet...I may attempt to do some hoovering...

Vixo - I'm definitely a mind-reader too 

03/06/2013 at 17:33

Back from our trip to Ireland - all went well, should really start doing some exercise again!

Anyone had little ones with slapped cheek (its a virus that gives red cheeks)?  I think Martha has had it but she is looking a bit rashy still on her torso and I can't decide whether to go to the gp as she is fine in all other respects.

03/06/2013 at 17:46
Isabelle had it when she was tiny, and I think the rash on the torso is a normal part of it. Don't know what the infectious time period is though, and you need to make sure you're super cautious about being around pregnant women as it can be bad news for the baby (friend of ours had it while pregnant with her second, who has severe learning difficulties and can't walk as a result, and someone else I know had a miscarriage at 20 weeks) - so I guess just watch out in case the other 2 get it.

None of that was very useful though was it?! If she's fine then I probably wouldn't worry, but I would look up what the incubation period is so you know how long to be careful for.
03/06/2013 at 18:36

A quickie to say Lou's head survived the hair wash  it was in fact Monday I had last washed it. bleugh! 

also I passed that exam so that's them all done and I will very shortly receive the new work title of partner and solicitor advocate thank gawd for that!! 

Edited: 03/06/2013 at 18:45
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.