Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

39,261 to 39,280 of 47,168 messages
18/02/2013 at 22:30

Agree Hoggle, rant away.

Well done Sonya that is a fantastic PB. I have come to the conclusion there is no such thing as ideal prep! Its funny how it goes sometimes, when things seem perfect you can still have a bum race and then the good ones come from nowhere when you least expect it! Always worth turning up and giving it a bash I think. When was Karens race? Maybe not for a  few weeks yet?

Great training Minks. Mind not to overcook those long ones though;)

Ah I looked at that Lairig Ghru race CC. Rather fancy it, maybe another year for me. Fingers crossed that ankle holds up to running this week.

I had an interesting email today from a race promoter offering me free entry to the inverness half and the Balmoral 15m trail race after my result yesterday. When I said it was too expensive to come back down from Shetland they offered £50 towards travel costs! Can't really justify doing inverness and it is only 2 weeks before my 100k but if the legs aren't too trashed I might try the Balmoral 15 miler at the end of April.

Anyhoo shattered tonight, bed is calling and so hoping I will sleep well!

18/02/2013 at 22:45
yes CC it was me that recommended calcium supplements for cramp + restless legs. Read it somewhere yrs ago, calcium is used by muscles as well as bones apparently, I used to get restless legs + cramp when 1st started running longer distances + it seemed to help. Have used it on Nat too for 'growing pains' + appears to work, never can tell tho, could just b coincidence. But think most women could do with taking a calcium supplement anyway so won't do any harm.
18/02/2013 at 22:46
Ohhh that's practically sponsorship Lotte - nice work!
19/02/2013 at 06:49

Hoggle poor you, hope it gets a bit better soon.

Sonya, well done!

Mmm - could do with some more sleep but at least at half term I don't mind telling them to put on cbeebies so I can get another few minutes until Benedict wakes up!

19/02/2013 at 08:29

Wow Lotte, that's grand. I think the Balmoral one sounds nicer than the Inverness one anyway!

Feel totally shIte this morning - wearing a bit thin this current germ fest. Went to bed feeling a wee bit more lively and spent all night shivering, sweating and feeling soooooo sooooo sick ... sigh ... so have just canx my Pilates class this morning.  So this will be another week of training written off!!

Thanks TT. I reckon my calcium intake is pretty good but no harm in giving it a whirl.

19/02/2013 at 09:00
Poor you too CC. Think we have all had our fair share of sickness over the winter.

Lotte - great that you are getting invitations to races! Shame its difficult to get to hem though.
19/02/2013 at 09:08
CC- Think magnesium + potassium r also recommended for recurrent cramps too, if the calcium doesn't help.
19/02/2013 at 09:10
So extra nuts, seeds + bananas all round
19/02/2013 at 09:13
CC- Think magnesium + potassium r also recommended for recurrent cramps too, if the calcium doesn't help.
19/02/2013 at 09:15
Our soft Scottish water doesn't contain as many minerals as that hard English stuff u used to drink.
19/02/2013 at 09:21

I think that could be it TT!!! Never had these problems in England, but the soft Scottish water is way better for my hair - less out of control and wispy!!!

I need to revamp the diet a bit anyway, has been a bit lacking in some extra nutrients over the last month or so.

Yes Kinsey - definitely time for spring I think - was -4 here this morning but is another stunning blue sky day - perfect for a run. Hey ho. Hubby feels carp too - not much fun when you are staying in a hotel room.   Are you all sorted for your move???

19/02/2013 at 10:19
Big (()) to hoggle. That sounds just horrid! Hope you have some respite by now, is it a recurrent thing then?

Kinsey, forgot you were moving very soon! Hope all packed and ready. Are you going far? I'm guessing benedict still isn't sleeping all that well.... Makes me feel incredibly lucky that Rosie started sleeping well relatively early! (was definitely before 6m anyway).

Boo to feeling carp CC. I am still coughing nearly 2 weeks on, but of course the running is back on so I can't complain!

Yep, lotte that sounds like sponsorship to me! Am sure your legs could never be too trashed

Yes, calcium is definitely essential for muscles to contract! I am a cardiac muscle physiologist and as skeletal muscles work in almost exactly the same way I'm a bit of an expert (as daddy pig would say - oh god I watch too much peppa pig!). Potassium and Magnesium also necessary for muscles to do their stuff. I think a mineral supplement wouldn't do any harm.

Right, best go wake baby. Off to drs to check on her ear infection.
19/02/2013 at 14:20

great news anj - look forward to reading your race report

fab efforts from lotte and sonya

i am sulking because i am so incapacitated. i can't even put my foot flat on the floor yet. sob...

19/02/2013 at 14:53
R u wearing heels CM? Just guessing that wearing heels would b slightly better on the calf muscle than limping around on ur tiptoe.

Happy Birthday Eric (would do some celebratory smilies but my phone doesn't allow), OMG cannot believe it's bn a yr already.
19/02/2013 at 15:25

oooh, missed Eric being one - Happy Birthday Eric

19/02/2013 at 18:58

Happy Birthday Eric!

CC - well to add to the potassium debate, lots of use of reliever therapy, which formeterol is, can cause potassium deficiency, so if you're that way inclined anyway it could well be aggrevating it!  If it causing the issue, Seretide uses beclemetasone and salmeterol, so could be worth a try if it is causing the issue?  That said, I definitely get on better with formeterol which is in the Symbicort (along with budesonide).  Ooh the joys!  And yes, it was last March as it was my mum commenting on my 'asthmatic cough' that got me to the docs.  Only to be told I was seeking performance enhancing drugs by the (now no longer there) GP...  Really wish I could see her and tell her what I've been through!!!!

Sonya  if it makes you feel better, I was doing about the use of the internet in IT today, so as an intro into address bars, navigation etc, I was using Cbeebies, and singing every theme tune as the programmes popped up in their various guises... 

Scary stuff, my friend's husband had her car stolen off the driveway this morning as he was deicing it.  Apparently there's been four or five cases on our estate this year.  Carp!

19/02/2013 at 19:39

Thanks!  We have had a lovely day, just can't believe what a big boy he is now!  

Am slightly narked that my sister (their one and only aunt) doesn't regard her nephew's first birthday as important enough to mark in any way because he's only one and therefore doesn't look forward to anything......I don't have any nephews, nieces or godchildren but if I did I would damn well make sure that their birthdays were acknowledged!

Hoggle poor you - it sounds exactly like waht my mum has had for a very long time now.  Over 2 yrs.......I feel bad even saying that.  For the first AGES she had tremendous back and nerve pain and couldn't lie down, she slept as best she could in a chair for weeks.  Now she still has residual nerve pain I think, but her back still goes from time to time.  It all started with hauling my now deceased step dad around, but she doesn't do herself any favours as she has been prescribed all these exercises but doesn't do them as she doesnt see an improvement - well I know from my back probs that it takes MONTHS to see any result, but it is worth persevering.  I really hope yours sorts itself out soon.

Hubby is at his first pilates now.  Mine is later, but his class time means that we only have 15 mins for him to leave class, drive home, and me to drive there, so no doubt I will be late for the next 6 wks,  Oh well, if it helps him.

19/02/2013 at 20:06
oh dear - lots of boo's tonight with thoughtless aunts, side effects, germs, lack of time and stolen cars!!!
yippee to fab racing, Eric's birthday, being sponsored (well I think it's the same Lotte), potty training and singing cbeebies!
busy day at work and went straight to club for 7 miles of reps.... have just stuffed pasta and not even seen the kids as they are snoring.
19/02/2013 at 21:08

was slightly bemused watching Abni and Teal with my two earlier (J insists he only watches it cos S loves it) - two creatures plus what look like wooden garlic cloves and a mini-neap!!!  You cannot tell me that the writers of these series are not on something???

Boo to your sister Caro, that's not on!

Well done on the reps Camlo

Well I will get to docs at some point about inhaler but for time being I iwll increase intake of calcium, magnesium and potassium!

Feeling improved tonight but basically spent all day in bed , well the hours between school drop-off and pick-up. Can't believe I did that but was basically asleep for most of it - under duvet with 3 jumpers on!!!! Hubby bailed on work and went to bed in hotel all afternoon too - fine pair we are!  Kids commented the fridge looked very bare tonight - they are not wrong!

19/02/2013 at 21:43
Happy Birthday Eric!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.