Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

39,321 to 39,340 of 43,675 messages
07/04/2014 at 22:07

So I'm slightly bemused with parkrun on Sat.  when I finished I thought I was first lady which is what I told hubby when I came home.  I started at the front and wasnt overtaken by any women.  So when the results came through and it said I was third I was a bit amazed, but the times were out of my league so i suppose they could have been so far ahead that I didn't see them, but I also didn't see them at the end so they must have whizzed off pretty fast.  Then today someone posted hundreds of photos on the website and there is no sign of any women in front of me.  So I checked the results again and now I am second lady, one of the others has disappeared........the others one is a JW 15-17 who supposedly finished a minute ahead of me, but she was a first timer so there are no other times for me to compare with.

anyway, I know it's only parkrun but still.......it's a bit odd.

rainy today, not really a great day, Matilda and I clashed a lot.  Her behaviour wasnt great but don't think mine was either.  Looking forward to getting away next wk.

08/04/2014 at 12:08

Ooo. That is annoying Caro. How many runners in the field? You would think you'd have seen her at least?

Awful day here too yesterday, kids didn't get much fresh air, but they seemed OK for it, lazy days are good sometimes and Grandad seemed to cope OK with the boys.

WFH today till 2pm which is going OK, they seem to be getting on OK. Then off to The Courts garden NT near Bradford on Avon this afternoon with the neighbour and her kids.

10k ran this morning at 8mm, couple of times it niggled but seemed OK. Now have delightful pink khaki patterned taping!!! Rocking the 'rock tape'!! If I do make it to the ultra in June, what's the bare minimum I can get away with training wise in distance CC and Lotte? It's 44 miles on coast path. Think I will go with both knees taped if I do make it!!

Anyhoo, that's 20 miles in total since last Weds, plus 2x3k swim sessions (with sprints to get the old heart rate up). Feeling hopeful?

PG3
08/04/2014 at 17:18

I heard about Sheffield half. What a farce!

Caro - weird about the PR. Sounds like you were first lady.

I went to see the physio yesterday who started me with some very gentle exercises. She also gave me that look when I mentioned Abingdon marathon in Oct. She thinks its too soon. I will keep the place and see. Defo up for a spring marathon though. Brighton or Manchester. I can't decide. Anyone have any ideas? Brighton is closer but I believe you have to register the day before which is a pain. Also the wind could be bad. Manchester is further but pancake flat, although Brighton is supposedly pretty flat. Hmmm. 

Hope everyone is well. Baby Isaac is good. I reached for Gina ford after ending up in tears on Sunday and wondering what I had done. He seems happier with proper daytime sleeping. I won't be Gina ford super strict but I like having some structure to my day/life.

08/04/2014 at 18:55

Pip, Brighton is good. And yes, flat! Great atmosphere, I thought. And registering the day before means you have to make a weekend of it Know what you mean about structure! We don't do Gina but we have a sort of routine of our own. Very annoying when it goes wrong - like the last few nights she has been waking three times for feeds, argh. I am pooped! She is actually really hungry (takes full feeds) so have tried some baby rice today to see if it helps. She is 20 weeks old now and EBF so probably needs it. 

Good news MM - nice tape!

How is S, JG? 

Well, I seem to have entered a 10k! There was a number going spare and I couldn't say no... 11th May! Five weeks to get fitter  

Camlo    pirate
08/04/2014 at 23:00

Woohoo nice race distance to aim for Tatty! You have done well to get to 20wks with just boob so a bit of grub may help you get your sleep back. 

Pip - hilly or flat they are all tough! Logistics are very important for me so brighton would get it. Glad you are showing Isaac who is boss! 

MM i did my 45milers on nothing longer than 20 If i recall. Fab that the taping is helping.

Caro- maybe there was a cross dresser or two? 

Busy day and just scrapped running club but not exactly fulfiling as we were a huge group and because i am so 'nice' i ended up accompanying the slowest runner to make sure she was ok. 5 miles in 1hr 35 mins........ Went to the chippy after and ate my huge salad pitta whilst running a hot bath to remedy my hypothermia. 

08/04/2014 at 23:59

Sophie's doing better thanks TB, still covered head to toe (literally) in spots, and new ones on her face and in mouth today  but she slept in till 7.45am (normally up by 6.30) and spent the day at grandparents' and seems ok.  Still blisters so no school tomorrow as well...probably get her back in on Friday if we're lucky .  I'm checking Nicky too...!

Camlo    pirate
09/04/2014 at 07:45

Wow JG that sounds very nasty, hope they scab soon and she is able to come home. Just when you get back to normal Nicky will start! 

Had Archie screaming twice in the night with 'bad leg, bad dreams and sore winky' so he cooked in our bed until 6am then spewed in it.....nice. 

09/04/2014 at 11:53

Boo to spew.  We had a cot load of spew yesterday morning from Eric, 2 days after matilda's night time spew so must be a bug of sorts. 

I ran to work today!  Hubby has the day off to look after the kids and they are coming to visit mummy at work in a bit, and bring me my lunch and other stuff I need. I wouldn't be able to do it normally because I do bring quite a lot of stuff with me that I couldn't really carry whilst running.  Its 5 miles, and the route I ran looks easily cycleable so I might brave it and cycle sometime. 

09/04/2014 at 16:45

Oh god, now I am starting to feel a bit sick.....argh!  Have bee fine all day, had a lovely lunch with Ian and the kids in the park, had an ice cream, came back to work and now all of a sudden I feel nauseous.  Have got to survive 2 more hrs at work and get the tube home.....have just taken some anti nausea drugs so fingers crossed!

09/04/2014 at 16:56

Fingers crossed Caro!  Definite boo to spew!

I've finished for the holidays at work, yeay !  Feel shocking though, thirsty, headache, slight sore throat...boo!  It's my first free Wed night in 11 weeks tonight though so I AM going to circuits, though I may not enjoy it!

Just planning Sophie's party - first playcentre one, I want to cry at the cost!  Oh well, no stress for me I suppose nor any food costs other than a cake.  £120 for her and 7 friends to do a Bear World party (design bear's t-shirt, choose a bear and they stuff it for you to take home, plus play in the playcentre and food and party bags).  Or more if she wants more friends but the minimum is 8..!

Been utterly useless this afternoon!  Oh well, hopefully an earlier night than usual will help.  I went to see Matt Cardle last night (X Factor winner a while back) and he was fab, love seeing singers who can actually sing live and acoustic .

Physio on Friday if Sophie's better, otherwise will have to put it off a week.  Not had a chance to do much recently though, too tired to stretch or roller most of the time.

Right must get kids' tea.

PG3
09/04/2014 at 17:58

Caro And jg hope you are both OK. Caro I hope the tube ride is OK. I bet its quite warm today. Good one on running to work. Can you take stuff ahead ie on monday and then run in the next day? I used to keep my stuff at work and then run to work with a small bum bag with work pass, phone, oyster card and keys in it. 

Beautiful day today. I am still only able to walk but did about 2.5 hours today.

09/04/2014 at 17:59

Pip I only work 2 days a wk, and in 2 diff places so that wouldn't work.  But that's ok, it was just fun to do it once.  Still feeling sick but poss a bit better.  Only 1 hr to go.......

09/04/2014 at 18:12

Fingers crossed the spews stay away! The only thing worse than cleaning it is puking yourself.  

Yikes JG, that is expensive! Glad you enjoyed Matt - I had a bit of a soft spot for him when he was on X-Factor

Tried broccoli today. It was one of JP's first and absolute favourite weaning foods. G does not feel the same way! She likes baby rice though, and also banana. Butternut squash tomorrow!

09/04/2014 at 20:01

Well I survived until I got off the tube, then spewed in a flower bed next to our local mosque........I think I was discrete anyway!  Apart from the retching sounds........am now in bed.

09/04/2014 at 20:14

Oh no Caro. Hope it passes soon. 

09/04/2014 at 20:25

oh no Caro you poor thing!!!

Camlo    pirate
09/04/2014 at 20:41

Oh no, guess it was inevitable Caro. Hope if i am going to have it that it starts today as  i want it gone by the triathlon on sunday! 

Great walking Pip and boo to not liking broccoli Tatty. I weaned mine on ready brek! 

09/04/2014 at 21:24

Eek Caro!! Hope it passes quickly. Least you got off the tube!!

Not .very motivated at work this week. Nice weather and want to be doing stuff with the kids. So tempted to quit before the summer holidays must admit. We do need the money though. Might make a more concerted effort to look for another job!!

10k trot yesterday at 8mm. 19 miles biked tonight. First ride of the year. LOVED IT!!!

Going to swim tomorrow morning and run in the evening at the club. Whoop whoop!!

Still sad about London but I do have the summer and if all goes OK the ultra. CC and Lotte any thoughts on minimum training for thus? 44 miles on Coast path, 6th June!!

Right time to organize for tomorrow!!

PG3
10/04/2014 at 11:17

Caro well done for making it off the tube. Camlo hope you don't get I'll or its gone by sunday. Mm - were you supposed to be doing London? I was but I me + London Marathon = disaster. Not sure I will ever do it. I have entered Brighton next year.

Another lovely day today. Hooray

10/04/2014 at 13:26

Hiya all!  Caro - poor you but it's going around.  I had it at weekend.  Totally wrote off Saturday and Sunday.  I felt OK at park run then mid afternoon felt a bit odd but thought maybe I was hungry as hadn't eaten anything..  Ate a scone, jam & cream then within half an hour was over the toilet.  Horrified as for a horrible second thought I had had a reaction to clotted cream and would never be able to eat it again.......then realised it was a bug. Phew!  In bed all weekend but better now.  Had a scone & clotted cream yesterday just to make sure and no ill effects.  Relief.  Saw off almost the last few lbs of baby weight though - 2 lbs to go now.  Almost so little as to not bother but i am determined to see the last bits go.  Then I want to lose another few lbs to get down to my happy "racing weight" ready for Berlin but if that doesn't happen I don't really mind.

Well done on all that walking Pip.  I will go out this afternoon as it's just a lovely day.  Walked yday too but no running yet this week.  Need to read back a bit to catch up.  MM is your ultra in Pembrokeshire or have a i made that bit up?  I know there is a coast path ultra there in November I think, 3 marathons over 3 days (so I suppose maybe not technically an ultra) which I would love to do one year.

Camlo -good luck for Tri on Sunday.  which one is it again? sorry for all the stuff I've missed.  Will try to keep up better.  My GP appt is next week thank goodness so hopefully she can help me with the pills.  I think the hope that she will is lifting me a bit too - light at the end of the tunnel so to speak.

Tatty - so exciting that they are on solids now too! I have started Isaac this weekend just gone (which was nice given that I felt HORRENDOUS!).  He has had sweet potato wedges, melon, banana, rice cakes, all the usual gubbins.  Interestingly, Ethan has eaten more veggies as a result - not to be outdone by little bro!  Good thing as he hasn't eaten veggies really since he turned 2!

Man, sunshine really makes everything seem better doesn't it?!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.