Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

39,801 to 39,820 of 45,512 messages
05/03/2013 at 20:24
I feel relieved to know you feel like that re speed session mm cos I used to be really nervous before I went down to the meadows for the intervals sesh and I always thought it was just me being crap!

Brookie I am so with you re the blaming running but this time I can say well I've sat on my fat arse now since 26/10 and I'm still flaming ill so that's just bollox. However yes every time I'm under the weather my mum especially says it's cos I run too much and don't eat enough veg. She is of course basing my veg intake on my 13yr old self which drives me potty. I'm 38 and have eaten loads of veg since at least post uni. Confess uni wasn't the healthiest! But even at my pickiest I ate carrots peas and green beans! And if it's not that then it's cos I drink milk apparently. Aaaaargh!

CM that sounds a much better reason for screaming for half an hr than that mummy refuses to spend ??5 buying a sticker book from the travelling book fair and says she will purchase one of either of the other 2 options but not both and def def not a sticker book. OMG it was like the apocalypse!
05/03/2013 at 20:30
Lol to all hubby rants. Mine's been looking after me since I've been ill but I still nip and nag. Today I had a go because it was dead frosty and I said I'd start to defrost car but he said no no I'll go but proceeded to downstairs and get completely ready then go out - all of ten secs ahead of normal time. Couldn't help pointing out the idea is that you go straight out and get it going whilst you go back in and get stuff ready!
05/03/2013 at 20:32
I am feeling sick about tomorrow's interval session already + it's not til 1pm tomorrow. I am trying to convince my brain it's excitement rather than dread,they feel the same.
05/03/2013 at 21:12
LOL TT!! and EF re not eating veggies and drinking milk! Hilarious. Right 9.10pm - bedtime for me. Work tomorrow - fingers crossed no puking. MM - wow 15-20 times a day - they should have helped you more! Gosh. And ouch to the torn oesophagus TT. sleep well ladies.
05/03/2013 at 21:38
Wasn't actually as painful as sounds Brookie, uncomfortable to eat for few days to a wk + fresh orange juice was a nono.
05/03/2013 at 21:52
No not a great session from me. TOTM due Tom so knew it wasn't going to happen really. Just not in the mood and niggles niggling. Made me feel very rubbish that my 400s were only a few seconds faster than Lotte s 2 mile reps. Still I never slowed so just hopefully PMT. We did 2x400, 2x800, 2x1200, 2x800, 2x400. All 5.50 to 6:15 milng. Slightly undulating route on industrial estate in town. Still went through the motions and job done. 14 miles for the day with the 5 this morning. Hoping I can raise my game by sat as have inter counties Xc champs at brum. Another outing in a Wiltshire vest!

On a positive note one of girls I'm coaching knocked 15 mins off her half time on Sunday at bath. 2 hours down to 1.45. She is a v50. Only running for 2 years but never very seriously until now. She is going to run an awesome marathon. So proud
05/03/2013 at 21:58
Mm you can coach me after baby is born if you're getting results like that!! Half pb is 1.45.21. Would love 1.39.59! I'm giving up on 44.59 for a 10k. At 39 by time I'm back that ship has sailed!
05/03/2013 at 21:59
Have never actually trained for a half either lots more do able I suspect than a marathon.
05/03/2013 at 22:36

The ship will so NOT have sailed EF ... I am going to be 43 this year and still hoping for the odd PB ... ofcourse, I could be expecting for blooming miracles!!!  I think I'd love to still have a bash at beating some of my pbs:

• 3.34 mara 2009 (sub 3.30 would be awesome),
  • 1.37 HM (2008) (anything below that would be fab),
  • 43.10 10km (2010)  (oh god surely I can lose 10 seconds!!) a
  • 72.02 10-miler (2011) (70 mins would do me nicely)
  • and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to do an 11-hour 50-miler

obv if I would stop breaking myself by running on trail all the time and get some form of speedwork in that would help enormously, although I do do hills!!!

MM - that still sounds a fab session so well done, esp as feeling crap.  I get nervous before speed sessions. I also get very nervous before every pilates class I teach although today I did both without nerves (only two people in each class) but I REALLY enjoyed it and they all said they loved it - phew

Awesome coaching too

Tangy - that throat thing in pregnancy sounded grim

Yes - everything that goes wrong with you can apparently be blamed on running - according to most of my family and even my husband at times.

Brookie - I also found with both of mine sipping on sparkling mineral water flavoured with lime helped (citrus felt good) and sucking on foxes fruit drop sweets too.

JG - hope gym trip did the job

Hoggle - yes, agree that generally women probably do mid-life crisis much more quietly!!

Edited: 05/03/2013 at 22:36
06/03/2013 at 06:03

Agree, EF still plenty of time for PBs. And CC you just need a bit of luck now to get a decent block of training without lurgies, injury etc.

I am the same about my wed night track sessions, i get so nervous and really dread them. I think thats why making it up as you go along works for me. Yesterday I just felt good so decided to do it. I didn't have time to ponder what I was doing or talk myself out of it with excuses like "well don't worry if you can't hit your target pace since you have already done 10 so tired legs etc." I think most of the time your mind determines your limits not you body.

Good session MM, what length of recoveries did you have? Well done on the coachee, great stuff.

When was Karens half? Would that h ave been on Sunday, was wondering how she did.

Cold wet and windy, not feeling the love for my run today and now running late...

06/03/2013 at 07:58

Ugg I have speed session anxiety. Roll on 9pm when it's done! I get nervous about coaching and nervous about the session too. Feel starving too as usual which isn't good . Just can't eat enough at the mo to get me through.

06/03/2013 at 08:21

Oops gremlins!!! iPad ones!

Recoveries were 60, 90 120 secs. We had 2 mile warm up with drills and strides and 2 miles warm down.

Happy to help EF. Its just consistency in training. She is so enthused now bless her. She used to run once or twice a week when she felt like it but now has toned up and looks like a proper runner and is running 5 times per week with speed session, tempo run, mid week long run, long run with paced miles in it and an easy run. Was going for just sub 4 but now I reckon 3.40-45. Very excited for her!

15 miles of for me today in what looks like yucky drizzle, such a shame after yesterday's glorious sunshine and warmth. Now have a shin niggle. It will be a miracle if I get to the start line!!!

Feeling very very down today. Serious money problems in our house both shouted at each other for the first time in ages and I couldn't sleep. Looks like going to have to take a mortgage break and pay just interest. Boys going to have to stop guitar lessons and maybe even gymnastics and probably cut back on S's childcare too. Oh God!  I really need to find some kind of work ....

06/03/2013 at 09:20

oh dear, MM. sorry to hear about money woes. they are absolutely the worst. i hope you can find a way through

i had a bad morning too, but probably triggered mainly by fact kids off to T today and won't see them till sunday night. J still majorly overreacting about hands this morning. started crying when i said i had to change dressings and then proceeded to heave over the toilet after i did them. he whined, cried and wailed for about 20 mins. seriously?!?!?! anyway, then E started crying so i said 'right fine. you are by yourselves this morning. i don't care if you eat or get dressed, i will take you to school as you are'. both of them then got dressed (E put on dress, skirt, trousers AND a cardigan ) and E got and ate a yoghurt (miracle for her in the morning as she usually needs spoon feeding to eat anything!). maybe i need to do this morning often!!!

i am chock full of cold this morning. and have physio appt at 11am - at least i hope it's today. not like yesterday's asthma nurse, which is next monday!!

06/03/2013 at 11:11
Feel ur pain MM, Mr Tangy bn out of work since beginning of the yr + the mining job he is waiting for isn't likely to start til June as they r waiting for drilling rigs to b delivered, was originally hoping it would b March. Also the Mum of 2 of kids I watch 3days a wk has quit her job + is dropping them dwn to 1day a wk til she starts uni in Sept, not good timing. Feb/March has bn a nightmare too with 9 birthdays (two 50th's + a 70th), mother's day + Camryn's dancing display that has cost me nearly ??100 in tickets, costumes + dvd. Could just cry at thought of next few months finances.

Having problems keeping food bills dwn too, struggling to get weekly shop under ??90-100 + I used to b able to do a shop for ??50-60 if was skint. About ??10-15 of that goes on fruit + a biscuit for snack for the minded kids tho, so should b able to reduce that a little bit with having less kids from next wk. Can't bring myself to give up the healthier options either, liking having lots of salad + we r used to wholemeal pasta + brown rice etc.
06/03/2013 at 12:35

Couldn't sleep as way too much work stuff whirling round my head so decided to get up and do some of it rather than lying awake angsting about it! I hate it because I feel (and am) behind the ball on a whole lot of things and usually pride myself on being reliable and having everything done well. However had a lovely email from my managers manager praising a piece of work I do regularly - just what I needed to hear! Hoping that an evening of work tomorrow night will catch me up a bit and then I can keep on an even keel (ended up in tears on phone to manager today which was annoyingly pathetic and she must think I'm a drama queen!).

Hubby came home with flowers which was lovely too - first time in a LONG time! We so desperately need some time together we are like ships at the moment! Decided to go camping for the night on Fri night just because we can - yay!

Stupid leg playing up and really painful today which hasn't helped anything I think. Especially when I have to do swimming lessons! M is really loving them though and really gives it her all!!! She swallowed a load of water today because she was laughing too hard before the teacher put her under to swim to me! Came up spluttering and still laughing!

Boo to financial worries Tangy and MM - was horrible when we were in that situation last year and will be similar again if hubby decides to requalify.

Speed sessions - what are those?!

Had a long chat with friend whose baby had a transplant - wow pretty much a miracle. Drs have since told them that if he had not got a donor by Tue he would probably have died - so scary!!! They have a tough road ahead though.  They stay up in Auckland in semi-isolation for 3 months then anotehr 6-8 months where he can't be in contact with any other children. They are going to live with her parents who are in the South Island as they feel being at home with friends all around would be too hard too keep away and easier this way to not have to keep putting people off.

Right, I REALLY must go to bed - will be rubbish tomorrow!!

06/03/2013 at 12:50
It's a blessing really he is so young, so much easier to keep a baby isolated than a an older child, but hard for them never the less.
06/03/2013 at 13:08

blimey, hoggle. makes you realise really we have nothing to complain about with your poor friend's wee lad.

hope camping is good, and that your leg doesn't play up too much while you are away. sleeping on the floor / in and out of tents doesn't sound like it will be ideal...

just been to physio and she reckons i am being a chicken and need to get out walking even though it still hurts. . so i will do as i am told. also lots of stretches - every hour - and strenghtening from next week.  she reckons about 3 weeks of that regime of stretching and strengthening and i should be able to test a wee jog on a walk, which is such good news. will have to see how it goes tho as obviously i am paranoid that it will go again like it did last time. she thinks that was just bad luck (and my stupidity trying to hop!)

06/03/2013 at 14:05

Oh what good news CM . I guess walking will gently get it moving. You can't do much damage in day to day walking. I think introducing exercises is key to preventing it happening again, so a good move. Trouble is I've had so many niggles over the past year I have so many exercises I have to do to keep on the road. It is a nuuty past-time!!

Back from 15 painful miles. Shin has flared up now. You know I just give up!!! Hopefully this is one of my usual shin niggles and they only last two days. So rest day tomorrow instead of friday and will use the x-trainer friday morning, maybe try a run friday night before the race. Grrrrrr!

Have been moving money around all day from my business acc (although hardly anything in there ) and from our last ISA into savings acc. We literally will have no money once they have gone. Mortgage is huge so no idea where we go from here other than not eating

06/03/2013 at 14:29

That is so hard for your friend hoggle, can't even imagine what it must feel like to know you were so close to losing your little one. Fingers crossed everything goes well for them now and he lives a long and healthy life. And try not to panic about work! You must be doing something right for the manager to praise you, only good workers are up at night worrying about it too! Boo to leg playing up though.

CM- sounds like good news to me!

Need advice re. physios actually. I have never been to one!. My ankle/lower leg/foot pain is much worse following yesterdays run (it was so sunny I couldn't resist!) and then I stupidly did bootcamp too. I can't walk without a limp so no run today obviously and have put voltarel gel on and trying to rest it whilst at my desk before rest of week at home with the girls. Can feel it throbbing Anyway, I am obviously really worried now and don't want my really good marathon training all going to pot, so should I see a physio?! Looks like I can get an appt at a local one tomorrow if needed.

MM- lol to your comment about being a miracle getting to the start line! I'm feeling extra pressure to do my marathon (Shakespeare in Stratford - week after London) as I've paid quite a lot for accomodation for me and my family, plus my mum, sister, bil all staying with us. Will be a miserable old weekend in Stratford if I don't run!

CC- impressive PB's which I will never match! And no, none of us are over the hill yet I know I can do better, but thats mainly due to only getting serious in last 5 years and the inspiring girls on here keeping me going

MM and Tang, (()) with the money problems. It's what most people argue about I guess (although housework comes a close second on here!). Things have gone up hugely, utilities and food (after my £800 gas/elec bill..). I realise I am lucky to be in a situation where I can consider quitting work. Just saw in the news how much childcare has gone up in the last year. I realise that doesn't necesarily mean extra money for the childminders such as Tt. And MM, it if makes you feel any better we've been on an interest only mortgage for 8 years.

Can't remember what else I was going to say! Oh yes lotte, if I had 6 kids and a hubby who did no housework I'd expect to be a kept woman...

06/03/2013 at 14:30

x-posts MM (())  to money worries and injuries

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.