Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

39,981 to 40,000 of 46,089 messages
19/07/2013 at 09:49

Jacob!

19/07/2013 at 09:57

You should be very proud CM!!!

19/07/2013 at 11:46
Well done Jacob!
19/07/2013 at 12:28

Thanks all. Just goes to show - they do catch up! J was probably one of slowest in his class to start. His reading was so basic in reception and he only started to make progress in y1. He has flown in y2 tho. So don't despair folks. all this competitive book band stuff means nothing in the end!

19/07/2013 at 18:20

Well done Jacob! He's a summer baby too isn't he? People say that E will struggle as a boy summer baby..... But maybe not? Regardless of when J's birthday is, it is a pretty rockin' performance! You should definitely be proud CM!! 

19/07/2013 at 20:48

yes he's summer born. july 9th. they harmonise their scores so his placement of 120 for maths and 140+ takes into consideration his actual age. he took the tests at 6years and 10 months so they weight that in his favour. not sure how that works when they say his reading age is 11yrs and 11 months because presumably that's not weighted. who knows. anyway - pretty bl00dy amazing

we had a fab afternoon - went to huge, free, public paddling pool in Cardiff (near where JT works). was blisteringly hot. kids had a ball. had to drag J out for some food - he was enjoying it so much.

also had my scan today to check my ovaries and womb lining because of my fortnightly periods. all is ok, so assuming my biopsy came back ok too, then there will be no cause found for the periods and it will be assumed to be hormonal. that's good, as the alternatives were not pleasant to contemplate 

19/07/2013 at 21:35

God yes streaming in y1. Shudder. To be fair school always said J was great and making good progress but I didn't have the faith as I knew how far behind he was at the time. He has well and truly caught up now tho

yes been to Tredegar water park and Thomas Morgan. Merthyr one is my fave tho. J says he doesn't like splash parks now. Although he did moan and say he didn't want to go to paddling pool then I couldnt get him out!!

19/07/2013 at 21:51

Well done J, sounds like a report to be well proud of! 

Boo to fainting Lotte, hope you take a good rest now, boo to us doing all the chores (got home from work at 7 and still had to empty dishwasher, cook tea,look at all kids paintings,writing etc, get kids to bed and finially am sitting down, hubby meanwhile has downloaded a new game....... not that I am moaning). 

Yippee to end of school and looking forward to finding some of those water parks you girls are talking about! 

20/07/2013 at 00:43

Well done J  fab reading.  Just today I talked to Sophie's teacher who has done a reading test with her and said she is between 7.5-8yrs at age 5yrs so I am  too!  Aren't we great .  She says not only can she read words you wouldn't expect a 5 yr old to read, but she understands what she's reading, which apparently is the next step.  I'm still learning about all this!

Just been to our first PTA social and it was great fun, a good bunch of people with a similar sense of humour  - haven't giggled that much in ages!  The cider helped too ...  Off to drink some water and sober up now...

Hoggle - I have that moan to myself regularly!  Even when hubby "helps" he basically gets Nicky dressed and that's it - doesn't get up till 7.30 whereas I get up at 6.45am to make sure everyone is ready on time !

Saying that though, 2 peope left the pub early tonight because of their other halves worrying or moaning that they wanted to go out!  So my hubby is great mostly - of course no-one's perfect in my eyes 

20/07/2013 at 00:45

Oh and CM, Sophie is a June birthday so the teachers keep saying she turns the view upside down that younger children in the year get left behind etc.  Not sure if that is true in general but I'm pleased she's doing so well and even better than her older peers.  Trying hard not to show off but am very proud!

20/07/2013 at 07:41

We are the proof that summer babies are ok!  I don't know if all reports are like this but Matilda's had a page of blurb which was all very positive, then a page of tick boxes with 3 columns, and they were headed something like not achieved, expected and exceeded.  Then there were lots of things like social development, independence, maths, reading etc, about 20 things in all, then a tick in the column as to thick level they were at.  Matilda was at the expected level for end of reception for everything apart from reading where she had exceeded the level.  Now I just need to make sure we keep it up over the summer..........

well done j and Sophie

Got the in laws over later then a community BBQ with bouncy castle and other fun kids things later.

20/07/2013 at 09:17

That page of tick boxes is the "Foundation Stage Profile" Caro as M has reached the end of the Early Years Foundation Stage. She'll now be in Year 1 where they start Key Stage 1.

Well we survived the trip to Legoland. Actually, Legoland itself was fine - quite busy but no queues to get into the car park or the venue and max 15 mins queues for the rides. I'm a bit of a scaredy cats and the roller coaster was bad enough for me. Goodness knows what those thing at Alton Towers are like! Unfortunately the trip there (and especially the trip back) were pretty bad - we live the opposite side of London from Legland and the M25 was appalling. On the way back we cam the direct route through Central London and that was slow too (evening rush hour of course). Still, it was well worth it.

Talking about reading, I have just done my two days' training to be a volunteer reading helper for Beanstalk, so I'll be going into schools helping kids who are struggling with their reading.

20/07/2013 at 10:03

I have heard from yr 1 parents that next yr they get a reading book home every day (it was twice a wk in reception) and a spelling test every wk where we have to log on to the website to get the new words every Monday.  I think Matilda will be in for a shock! It would be fine if I didn't have Eric, coz of course he is at the stage where you cant leave him for a second.......and by the time he's in bed Matilda is too tired.

reading sounds good rb, a very worthwhile thing to do.

Just did 3.3 miles and decided to do some speed work for the first time in, oh, about 2 years probably, and did a 7.10 mile and a 6.45 mile.  Now need to have a shower then scoff the two pain au chocs I have in the oven before M gets home  

20/07/2013 at 15:10

Interesting reading about end of reception grading, I went into see Martha's teacher and I am still baffled as she has been graded 'emerging' on quite a few things which include 'moving and handling', 'speaking' and the world around us bit.  I spoke to a friend who is a reception teacher and she is equally bemused!!

we decided not to make an issue of it at school but I am going to be a lot more involved with her next teacher as a result.  I don't see M as an exceeding, but having found the ofsted handbook for teachers on the Internet I cannot see any reason for her not to be in the 'expected' grading for everything apart from maths.  Anyway don't want to sound like a moany mum as her report overall was fab, apart from the bit where they had put someone else's name!!

20/07/2013 at 16:40

Doesn't sound right and rubbish putting someone else's name!  On our Foundation Stage thingy (thanks RB!) they had the codes the wrong way round so it said 3 and Exceeding instead of 1 and Exceeding, or the other way round, whichever way it was!  Apparently that comes from the LA not the school!  She was exceeding in about 2/3 of it I think and Expected for Shapes etc and drawing which is about right - her drawing is still pretty rubbish!

I talk to Sophie's teacher a lot but I think more so because she has zoomed ahead with her reading so much.  I hope next year I can still speak to the teacher because I think after the first couple of weeks we have to wait in the playground for dropping off and picking up so don't actually get to go inside.  I suppose the teacher will be in the playground though.  Sophie has an NQT next year - a middle-aged male so we'll see how that goes!  He seems very nice.

Just been to party #1 of the next few days - awful playcentre nonsense!  Tomorrow another playcentre but it's a Build-a-Bear party so that might be more bearable (excuse the pun ) then a house party on Tuesday.  The mother of that one said to me last night "oh and bring Nicky too" - I was like, the party's at 4.30pm on a weekday, what else was I going to do with him...

20/07/2013 at 21:04

Cake finally decorated!  Reasonably pleased with it.  not helped by the fact that when I was seriously stressed and the icing broke hubby told me to buy one in Waitrose next yr!  Er no......

My run this morning seriously wiped me out.  I was feeling really wishy washy by lunch time, thought it might be low blood sugar so ate lots, but still shattered so had a wee nap after lunch whilst E was asleep!  Now I prob wont sleep tonight.......

21/07/2013 at 15:26

Look forward to some cake pics Caro!  My turn next weekend...a fire engine is the plan!

10k was good this morning, I was overtaken by a few people in the first half but ignored them and plugged on at roughly 6min/km pace which is what I was aiming for.  Finished in 1:00:55 which is good though slightly frustrating, but I don't think I could have gone any quicker!  Stomach still playing up so didn't push it too much.  Managed a sprint finish and overtook a few people .

Then quick shower and off to the Build-a-Bear party which was actually quite good!

Now seriously lacking in energy so may just have to drink tea and sit still all afternoon, or meander into the garden...

21/07/2013 at 19:58

Well done on the 10k JG. Thats a good time. Especially in the heat. I hope you took it easy this afternoon and treated yourself to an ice cream! 

Cotswold farm park for us today. Much fun to be had feeding all the animals etc. I'm a sucker for stuff like that! Then sun bathing in the garden at th end of the afternoon. Lovely. Hope everyone else had good weekends too. 

Ps another kid question - what did you guys do (if anything) to transition from high chairs? Did u get booster seats or just manage with normal chairs or keep child in high chair for as long as poss? E starting to want to sit on normal chairs but he's too little to reach the table properly so he can't see what he's eating and there are a lot of spillages.... So we were considering a booster seat sod some sort  - any thoughts? 

21/07/2013 at 20:15

I Have used booster seats for yrs with my childminding, 

hate having a highchair cluttering the place up more than

already is

21/07/2013 at 20:16

we used a booster brookie - had added bonus of strapping her in! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.