Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

40,201 to 40,220 of 47,547 messages
22/03/2013 at 15:35

i am hoping that's me off the bench, but am going to take it very VERY slowly. lots more jumping, stretching and calf raises / lunges etc to consolidate the recovery. may try a walk and little jog again tomorrow but am not going to push it. i'm so unfit now anyway that i won't be able to do much!

argh to sick, anj. yes - there is a spectacular amount of vomit that can come out even when they haven't eaten. poor lamb. my two are very sanguine about vomit. i remember i used to get very upset about it as a kid  but my 2 don't. having had really bad D+V here for a few weeks, i can now say vomit isn't a problem for me, but diarrhoea - EVERYWHERE - is. once they come out of nappies at night (and especially with J who doesn't wear anything to bed) nocturnal diarrhoea (in beds / down bunk bed ladders, up walls, all over floor, all over shoes) - oh god...

we are in legoland on mon / tues. can't wait. supposed to be chilly but dry. you are nearby aren't you anj?

yay to interviews, MM. can you reschedule the one you can't make? oh and i would rather get up early and run than do a dreadmill run!

22/03/2013 at 16:48

WE have the same weather then Lotte I think - absolutely baltic, don't envy the John Muir activity day at all, much as I love the great outdoors. Am mighty glad today is a rest day and did long run yesterday.  Great to hear leg seems OK, but boo to the travel plans and the weather.

MM - fab news re the interviews, not so much a 4pm time though - that's just plain silly!!  And a great treadmill session too.

Boo to the poorlies thoug, that sounds grim Anj and not what you need to deal with along with a wee baby to feed as well. Hope the rest of you stay clear though. Well done on running, great effort

So do some of you start Easter hols next week then? We don't finish until next Thurs.

CM - fab news re the calf, don't knock a 0.6 jog, just think, a couple of weeks ago you were despairing of running at all!!!

And definitely yay to 'just' a £220 bill for car. My car has 145,000 miles on it and has just had a service and MOT and cost us £1500 , watching hubbys bonus pouring down the drain already!!

I guess I am half on half off the bench. Running despite the niggles. Was pleased with yesterdays 15 after 10.5 the day before. Worked out why my quads felt mashed though when I met the friend who ran first half of the 10-miler with me - ran up the tower in the forest, and back down again - so that's where I'll be doing future hill training!!!

Rest day today. Making madam's birthday cake and stuff. Really hope we get a dump of snow tonight and I have legit excuse to escape orienteering tmrw morning - not a local one - about 60 mile round trip for half an hour of competition - in Aberlour - which is a lovely place in Spring but could do without it tbh. Have S's bday party in afternoon - 8 friends round for a copule of hours of party games etc, and we have another rugby tournament on Sunday. aaaagh!

Hubby drove home last night, was convinced he might not get out of Birmingham on his flight today with the weather warnings, although probably would have been fine, but nice to have him home late last night.

Tired kids today - had family ceileigh with school yesterday. Much fun but late night for school so all grumpy.  Roll on the holidays please!!

Edited: 22/03/2013 at 16:50
22/03/2013 at 17:21

Hoping so CM. Hubbie can work from home the week after Easter. I have suggested Thursday that week too as all three in childcare 9-3. He can't next week as he has big boss in and is driving all over the place to visit all the sites. He is away Weds night too.

22/03/2013 at 17:36

yes, we finished for Easter today, cc. next thursday is late - that's maundy thursday!

Edited: 22/03/2013 at 17:37
22/03/2013 at 18:15
we don't break up until next weds so can't use my annual leave with the kids as we can't carry any over so have taken days off this week but will be stuck for childcare in the holidays, gggaaah.
22/03/2013 at 18:48
No still on the bench MM - will be here for quite some time I fear!
Weather sounds horrible over there - am I right in thinking March was hit last year then crap summer? Maybe other way round this year?!
Hope poorly little ones improve - dreading voms and distress (spell check improved on the d word which I can't spell!!).
Looking forward to Easter - a couple of days at the farm and sis there too then a couple of days at home - hopefully sorting my veg garden. Back is weird, doesn't mind going that sort of stuff as sm mostly kneeling not standing.
Shame about the trip Lotte - do you get reimbursed?
22/03/2013 at 18:50

Yep finished today CC. Kids need it they are so tired...

22/03/2013 at 18:56
Jeez you guys are really being battered by the weather again! Global warming!!

Just wanted to say the Vicks suggestion was a hit in this house last night. On the chest and the feet and Max's cough was much better. Thank you to whoever suggested it.

Yikes to the vomming. Hope all the poorly little ones are better really soon.
22/03/2013 at 19:40
School doesn't finish here until next Thursday either. Doesn't seem 5 minutes since half term to me!

I had a call from the school nurse today to say that Isabelle can't see as well with one eye as she should be able to, and that they'll send off a referral to the eye hospital. No inkling of it from how she acts/reads etc, but the nurse said it could indicate a lazy eye - not sure how we'd manage to patch it if it comes to that, she's a nightmare with things like that. She also has one ear that doesn't hear as well apparently, but the nurse did say it was quite noisy and they're easily distracted so they repeat that in 6 weeks before making any referrals. She didn't say which ear it was but I am now having all sorts of worries about why she might have decreased vision and hearing on the same side!! On the plus side, she's on the 91st centile for height, at 115cm, and the 75th centile for weight - so tall and slim (like her father - hopefully she'll stay that way rather than like me!!).

He all the vomming settles soon. Feel we had our fair share of that before Christmas, it's just exhausting.
22/03/2013 at 19:51

Anj - bleurgh to the voms. Even after 3 kids and lots of puke I still find it hard to clear the stuff up without retching myself. Yuck. Hope poorly one is better today.

CM - yay to being off the bench. Nice and easy now remember!

Did a 14 mile run today which was peak mileage for my half training and also the furthest I've ever run in my whole life! Was a bit worried that I might struggle after having sports massage yesterday but legs felt so much better than they have on the last 2 long runs. Will definitely be going for more regular massages in the future! Hope I haven't peaked too early on the speed though, ran it a bit faster than expected at average of 8.35mm which surprised me as it all felt pretty comfortable.

Right, must get the big ones in bed so I can put my feet up with a well deserved glass of red .

Have a good weekend everyone! 

22/03/2013 at 19:55
Wouldn't worry too much Vixo. When j was in reception 30% of the class were referred for vision checks including J - who was absolutely fine when he was tested in hospital. It is normal for up to 50% of the class to be referred apparently. Quite a few were referred for both sight and hearing! One of J's friends who was already under hospital for vision was referred for vision again even tho he was already being treated! They did say that the kids find it difficult to concentrate. And the orthoptist we saw said she doesn't know why they bother doing the screening and don't just ship them all to the hospital!
22/03/2013 at 20:41
Eric poorly again, I spoke too soon, although responded well to calpol and now asleep.

Great news on interviews mm.

Vixo I didn't know they did sight and hearing tests at school. They did height and weight last wk but nothing else as far as I know.

Mm I've been on the bench since September! Will wait till its a bit warmer til I try and come off it. Have no desiremtomdo park run tomorrow morning!
22/03/2013 at 23:37
They do sight test at nursery here, but it's orthoptist who comes in + does it. That's how C's astigmatism was picked up. N has rare birth defect in her eye where myelin has overgrown into her eye + covered retina, so she has very limited vision in that eye- like looking through frosted glass. They still did 3yr check with the doc when she was little tho, so was picked up then. She had shown no signs of having very little vision in that eye, didn't have a squint or anything. We had to patch her good eye for 4hrs a day for 2yrs, was awful but her brain would have stopped using the eye altogether if didn't do it. We were not aware of how bad the vision in her bad eye was at that time, think that was deliberate on part of orthoptist tho. Would have bn harder to make her wear the patch if we had known she was virtually blind with it on. She managed fine while wearing it, amazing what kids can do.
22/03/2013 at 23:51
S had height and weight done at but vision at hospital - much better place for it I think.dint know about hearing but s had hers done as part of speech therapy. J was referred for hearing in year R but was fine at follow-up he has always been a very snotty child though so can well imagine he had blocked tubes!

Just watched 'knocked up' -cheesy American film, title says kit all really, but I always enjoy out. Anyway booed eyes out when baby was born at the end ... My 'baby' is six tomorrow! Have such ++ memories of her birth compared to js rather protracted and destructive (to my body!) arrival ...

Great running Karen.
23/03/2013 at 01:44
Great running Karen and Anj. That's brilliant! Karen - those times are great. Sure you'll do a fab half with that training. When and where is it? Anj - hats off for all that running with a newborn, injured hubby and poorly child! Poor L - hope she's on the mend. And Eric too Caro. Hope he's perkier tomorrow again.

Boo to boats and cold outdoors in Shetland. It must be frustrating after the training for sure.

We are in Cotswolds at mo with snow. Don't fancy orienteering or a John Muir outdoors day in this weather! Brrrrrrrr! Snow is beautiful though and I still get excited when it falls!

CM - know the feeling about car costs. I brace myself every service. We also go local now rather than to a dealership. Definitely cheaper. And great news on E's school place.

Mm - hope you had a good Friday night with hubby and some wine! Easter service sounded fun. That's a nice idea. Our play group had a wee Easter party today which did put me in the holiday mood!

Yay to the newly off bench runners and hang in there for Caro, Hoggle and me ( although think I am more lazy than unable to run right now!) I wanted to go cycling this wkend but the snow may prevent that.

Hmmmm - right best go find a new way to tackle the insomnia - reading stuff on here is making me more awake!!

Sorry for anything I've forgotten. Have nice Saturdays all of you.
23/03/2013 at 01:48
Oh and hope Isabelle's vision comes good Vixo. Sounds like it might be either nothing at all or something that can be easily fixed anyway. Hope it's ok.
23/03/2013 at 08:51
Need to apologise to you all for the weather. I stupidly said that as it pished with rain every day of our hol to center parcs in may last year that the weather could not possibly be any worse when we go on Monday. It would appear that someone somewhere is saying "you think?" Bloody hell we are going to freeze- if we get there!
23/03/2013 at 09:05
Haha EF. Hope you make it there. The outdoor hot tub is nice when it's cold sitting out under the stars. Maybe you can spend the whole time in there.
23/03/2013 at 10:11
Have fun EF. hot tub idea sounds fun.

Stupidly stupidly weighed self this morning. ARGH. 7lbs already and I'm only 11 weeks. All this stupid eating to stop puking. Oh the irony. Having a proper panic now though. Please let it not carry on at this rate. I'm totally panicking.
23/03/2013 at 10:18
Brookie could you bin your scales or take battery out and give it to hubby to hide? . Honestly you mustn't worry about it. You've been preg and got back before and you'll do it again. I am getting weighed in kilos by docs which is great as it means nothing. I'm just saying what happens weight wise happens but this is the very last preg and so once I get skinny again I'm skinny for good. I really don't think you shld weigh yourself though. It'll just stress you and there is no need.

No hot tub - banned when preg
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.