Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

40,241 to 40,260 of 45,526 messages
22/08/2013 at 19:48

knocked out a long run today 23 miles, about 4 hours. Really really humid so sweated gallons!!! Ended up having to try and have a kind of shower off by the car with dregs of water bottles from car and run pack and a random travel shampoo I found as went straight to school pick-up and was minging!!! Lovely route though along dis-used railway and then up onto the fells I usually run in. Mad a real effort to power walk the hills rather than run them as I think I will be doing a LOT of that on the day.  Surprising actually that with all the power walking it still didn't take me an awful lot longer than I would usually take on a route of that kind for a long run ...

Calf felt fine but now my Achilles is niggling on a completely different side - although same leg - sigh. Anyway, that's it for long runs before event so will be mountain-biking and short stuff and hope it gets over whatever is bothering. Doing a good line in arnica tablets at the moment anyway.

Edited: 22/08/2013 at 19:49
22/08/2013 at 21:49

Thank goodness it was a parking spot off the road down in the trees otherwise I wouldn't have done it ... my usual starting point is near a passing place next to a river and I jump in there. Couldn't go to school in the state I was though so was a bit desperate

22/08/2013 at 21:57

evening all. kids are back . I am feeling a bit dodgy - blamed the marmalade vodka I drank with N on tues night, but it's now thurs night and i'm still feeling dodgy so don't think it's that

party time tomorrow - for no reason. just having a tea party and fun and games at home. although hunted down a new paddling pool as old one leaked and was minging, and this one goes down too. ARGH!

glad to see sonya is out running. I have now done 15 of my 39 runs on my 10 week training plan for Cardiff half. I am supposed to be doing 8m this week and 10 next, but am going to swap as I have a kid free day this weekend (sunday), whereas next weekend I have the kids from fri to weds, so I will need to do my long run on thurs (when i'm working and will have a 200 mile commute - argh!). logistics!!!

22/08/2013 at 22:18

Yay to having kids back CM!!! Hope you feel better soon too - marmalade vodka sounds awful!!!

Hubby is really really enjoying his course and doing well at it too. He has started going to see some companies about getting some work experience (his course is Mon-Wed so some work experience on Thur and Fri would really help him get a job at the end of the course). I'm really proud of him for making such a big change and he is a LOT happier thankfully!!! My turn to be miserable and fed up now! Feeling really flat at the moment so need to find a way to get my mojo back!

Gosh M is being challenging at the moment - 2 years 1 month so I guess not surprising but 4.30-6.30pm is NOT FUN right now! She is so fickle with eating dinner and becoming very contrary when she's tired. I need to think about a new approach to this time of day because its just horrible!!! Vixo and Brookie I think your wee ones are a similar age - are you finding the same thing? On a plus side that monkey clock is my new best friend!!

22/08/2013 at 22:24

hello, sorry not posted for yonks - I just never come on the pc but needed to pay ballet fees so had to get onto internet banking and thought I'd pop over here too.  I do read every day (multiple times!) but posting hard.

Having the decision re delivery taken away is a definite bonus and I can recommend section I can't remember when I last posted but I am an auntie again too now - my sister had Gregor James John on 6 August.  She started contractions on the Saturday night.  God I did not miss having to go through that!

Don't read the next bit if you are pregnant!  Or do but don't panic.

All was fine until 2 hours AFTER delivery when she had a major haemorrhage.  Thankfully the midwife just happened to be in the room at the time.  Nik was on verge of fainting from the blood loss and midwife just hit emergency button so all doctors and midwives just run (as I can vouch!) and she was handed a consent form and told to sign for general anaesthetic, her husband got handed the baby and they rushed her to theatre with no idea of what was going on.  It was a horrendous half hour for us all but the good news is that she is fine - apparently her womb had decided to relax and she also had a tear much higher up that they had missed.  I gather the womb relaxation bit is dangerous but she got fixed up and spent a day in HDU (in the same location as me) and got let out the next day!  Gregor is gorgeous - the same size or a few ounces more than Fraser and he is a normal colour whereas Fraser is actually still jaundiced!  They said he might take a bit longer to clear it because he's breast fed.

Mum has banned us both from having a third.  AYE right.  Sending andy for the snip.

I've been for 2 runs now.  The first was 2 miles and the second 2.5 miles.  It was great but I'm struggling with the boobs.  I think I need to fork out for a shock absorber because I have two bras on at a time and still I have to kind of glide along and avoid any up and down motion because I may knock myself out.  Boobs are ginormous!

Hands are nearly back to normal sensation wise but they go numb during my runs.  Weird.  Also my joints are still really aching and my knuckles are still chubby so cant get my wedding ring on even yet. 

Schools are back as you'll have gathered from FB.  Madam is enjoying herself .  I'm quite enjoying being the proper mummy who is getting to know people on the school gate!

Sorry not to name check.  Hope all the preggers ladies are doing well.  xxx

22/08/2013 at 22:25

oh no, marmalade vodka is lush! glad hubby is happier

fickle, contrary 2yr olds? well - I have a 4yr old that's like that. went school shoe shopping today. told the woman I was not buying the ones with the toys in the heel, and then before she had even seen any of them, E declared that she only wanted the one with the toy in the heel. fine, says I. we won't buy you any school shoes then. however, we will get some for J (he was chuffed to bits with his). as we went to pay, she pouted and looked sideways at me, so I asked if she would like to try some on now, but not the ones with the toy in the heel. lo and behold, she did, quite happily.

I think the moral of it all is - ignore what you can, and this too shall pass (eventually - someone please say it does pass eventually...)

22/08/2013 at 22:29

xpost EF. blimey - scary re your sis but how fab that Gregor and Fraser are so close in age

22/08/2013 at 22:45

Well I'm still waiting for it to pass CM!  6 yr old....

Gregor and Fraser are impossible names to get right.  I'm always calling them by the wrong one.  Even my sister's mother in law said Fraser when she turned up to visit Gregor!

22/08/2013 at 22:54

Arrgghh don't tell me this ladies!! My friends 4 year old went to stay with her grandparents and when she came home, my friend asked whether she had a nice time, she said "no, they locked me in a dark cupboard and went on a long holiday"!

I reckon she's going to have fun in a few years!! Especially as she said it was delivered with just a whiff of sarcasm!!

Very scary re. your SIL EF but great to hear that all ok now!

22/08/2013 at 22:59

Potty training #shudders.

My teeny tiny framed friend had a first baby of about 7lbs.  No 2 was 9lbs 6.  Eek. 

Gregor was 8lbs 8.  I think Fraser would have been about that had he made it to due date. 

22/08/2013 at 23:01

Hoggle, Lou went back to school and they had to do a postcard of what they did in the holidays.  She of course went to ballet summer school, became a big sister, went swimming about twice a week, went on a day trip to a farm and so I asked what she drew and wrote.  Apparently she couldn't think of anything so she made it up and drew a campervan.  However I couldn't get annoyed as she followed it up with "and Mrs Chan held it up for everyone to see as she said mine was really good with lots and lots of details"

22/08/2013 at 23:07

Ooh EF think your family must have had enough dramas to last them for a while, great that everyone is fine.

Martha and Aidan have been colluding in which can be more exasperating this week.  I am exhausted!   Benedict is getting into all sorts of trouble climbing on everything so I literally do not get a seconds peace!!  This too shall (hopefully) pass (soon please!)

23/08/2013 at 00:15

Haha EF that's hilarious, she obviously has a great imagination! And you are def a mean parent for giving her such a dull summer...

23/08/2013 at 09:18

Thanks for the input on hips. He seems much better this morning and has gone on his trip. I don't think it will be too much walking tbh so hopefully it will hold up.

'Frances' is measuring normal for dates ATM, thank goodness, but I seem to recall JP was too, until about 32 weeks when he was consistently 2 weeks ahead. Based on the  20 wk scan, she has a nice small head and tummy (just under 50th centile) but relatively long legs (75th). I like

EF, scary stuff about sis but so glad she is OK now. Love the name too! Had to laugh at Lou's perception of the summer hols. You cruel mother, you! When JP went to stay with my parents, he had them in fits of laughter when they took him on a picnic. Mum was making sandwiches and she asked him what Mummy would normally put on them. His reply was 'carrot scrapings'! 

Great running, CC! 

My iPad is being really silly. Some of the suggestions it comes up with are just plain weird. So I do apologise if I leave one in by accident! 

Kinsey, your three are so cute, it is hard to believe they could be naughty

yay to having the kids back, CM!

Off to buy school stationery today. I have been given instructions for a minion pencil case also have some gardening to finish off - a bit of weeding and clearing etc. did about two hours yesterday and my hammies are feeling it today! 

23/08/2013 at 22:16

Yum , yum to carrot scrapings!  My elder two are hilarious, if someone rings they generally get asked 'what did you do today?' and regardless of what we have been doing the answer is generally 'nothing'!

much better day today but tring to get them to tidy up after themselves is causing some fairly huge arguments!

24/08/2013 at 10:32

oh my - its been quiet for ages and then loads!

Yippee to planned sections (although my 3 were all exactly the same 7lb), long runs with superb washing facilities, not going back to work (well jealous), sticking to guns and leaving crap shoes in shop, new nephew (not so good to the bleed though), marmalade vodka (not sure if that should be a boo), carrot scrapings and 'boring' holidays 

Boo to aching legs - could be irritable or just growing pains?, boo to lost mojo and having to juggle schedules to fit everything in, arguing kids, weeding and tidying.

Hope you feel better soon CM. I also got kids back yesterday  from my sis in law so grounded again. Did quite a few double sessions over the last week, run/ bike, bike/swim, run/ swim. Legs are so tired but I only have 2 weeks until my ultra and then another 3 until my tri..... 

24/08/2013 at 22:30

Hankering after a new car. Is a people carrier worth it with just 2 kids? Debating Mazda 5 - have the 6 - they seem crazy cheap tho. Does anyone have one. What's wrong with theM?! I'd really rather the ford s max but they are about another 6k!! 

25/08/2013 at 09:27

Got to be done, EF. You need a good roomy boot for shopping (shoes, not groceries) and plenty of room for little ones in the back. Some friends of ours have the Mazda 5 and they really like it - they've only got the one child so you are definitely justified I've got a Renault Scenic which has been great, if a little expensive to repair. I like it because it has the space of a people carrier but it's not too big. That said, it doesn't really get driven much now as I prefer Ben's car (Jag X-type), which is also really roomy but fast too

It is soooooo quiet here. Ben still in need after a long day working yesterday and JP in his playroom with cars - or at least I think that's what he's doing Will enjoy my cup of tea while it lasts! 

Camlo, you'll surely make the 2013 challenge with your ultra and tri miles! I am hoping to get to 2013k with walking but we will see...

25/08/2013 at 09:31

Quiet here too. Loulou at tennis with MR's Megan and Fraser crashed out in his gym after 5 mins so now asleep in pram. Soooo much I could be doing and yet I'm having coffee and on here! 

we have Mazda 6 just now which has enormous boot but I like idea of extra seats aaa an option. Also looking at vauxhalls zafira as seem to get a lot of or your money and there are more available than Mazda 5. I'd really love a ford but mainly cos I want heated front window!! 

25/08/2013 at 09:40

tho I still think I'm not old enough for a people carrier! I'm not 40 til next yr! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.