Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

40,361 to 40,380 of 43,609 messages
16/06/2014 at 23:12
I need to do more hillwalking before next time and I am carrying 2 pairs if dry socks or maybe 3.
17/06/2014 at 00:02
Oh my word, I'm knackered just reading your report - an inspiration as always!
17/06/2014 at 01:11

You're a legend TT!!

17/06/2014 at 07:43
I would like to thank the makers of sudocrem for allowing me to wear knickers in my 1st ultra and finish the race chafe free everywhere.
17/06/2014 at 07:55

Fab report TT, sounds like a tough course with all of the different elements, mud, boulders, narrow paths, steep descents, under cover and not under cover etc. Funny how fudge only tastes good under these specific circumstances - hateful any other time! Whoop whoop to chaff free! 

17/06/2014 at 08:40
I'd go for the Costco ones too, u could get 600 for under 200 pounds. I personally think that everyone should b entitled to a basic funeral paid for through our taxes/ NI and that all mourners should bring a plate of food. I don't think it's right that immediate family have to b worrying about cost and food provision at an already stressful time.
17/06/2014 at 09:12

we do have a Costco but what we don't have is time or opportunity to organise it on the day I looked at marks too because I wondered if we could do it but ultimately we don't have 150 plates, glasses etc, people to serve tea and coffee and I don't want to be fretting about being a hostess during the service. I've emailed the company and said I noted they had an offer of 20%off your first order on their web page so can I have that and also saying I don't want things like elderflower presse! 

Fab report tangy!

17/06/2014 at 09:13

The biggest worry is the numbers. It might be 150. Might be 100. Or might be 200! 

17/06/2014 at 09:20

luckily June had actually prepaid the funeral costs so we only really have to pay for the wake but we will of course need to carry that cost for a while hence fretting. She had allowed £300 for catering in her plan! 

17/06/2014 at 13:10
I thought my race report was mega long and I just typed it up randomly on phone and have missed loads out CC. So goodness knows what ur planning lol. Think I will do proper one on computer tho and see if can go on one of those blog thinks other runners do. Mainly so I have a record for future reference when I do it again and can b helpful for other people preparing to do a race for the 1st time. I remembered things u had said at various parts of race and it stopped me from panicking and thinking I was lost. The bit at the bothy and the hill going into the village at the end, in particular.

EF -that is good that some of the financial burden has bn eased but it's still a lot of money for most folk to find. At a time when money should b the least of ur worries. Also causes so much disagreement in families with several siblings, many siblings never speak again after fighting over funeral costs, it's so sad.
17/06/2014 at 13:19
I don't think I have ever bn to a funeral with food all laid on for that many. When my grandparents died we just had close friends and family back to the house and everyone chipped in making tea etc. When my uncle John died the family went back to my Grandpa's house, don't think we had food, we were too devastated. There were hundreds of people at the chapel but they all did their own things, groups went to pubs etc I think. We just all sat at my Grandpa's shell shocked, barely even spoke. Maybe it's a Glaswegian thing, I think they tend to go to the pub rather than have an organised do.
17/06/2014 at 13:43
I thought you sort of got 'invited' to funerals too. Or at least to the after party bit. I understand that if you're part of a church then a lot of people might go to the service, but surely then you invite the relevant people for whatever hospitality you've laid on? Or maybe ask if the church can do whatever tea and coffee they usually do, and provide cake and biscuits? But I've never organised one so I don't really know. When my mother in law died she'd made all the plans and paid for it so the plan just needed to be implemented. I don't think for a second that the state should pay, after all you don't have to have a funeral, but I suppose like all these things there are cheaper ways and more expensive ways to do it!

I hope you get it sorted though EF, that sounds like a logistical nightmare and one I would be getting stressed about if I was in your situation.

Great race report Tangy , and what an inspiration you are to those slower runners amongst us. I love that you've gone out there and done it, even though you've never run a sub-whatever marathon, and that you seem to get a lot of pleasure out of your running. What's next?!
17/06/2014 at 14:44
By funeral I mean burial or cremation, not the 'party' bit, surely I have to b buried or cremated or gifted to science??
17/06/2014 at 14:47
Thank you Vixo, the usual short runs all goes to pot over the summer HS and then it'll b the local 10 k and Antonine trail race (14 Miles). Not decided on next yr yet. Need to have a look what's on and see what I can fit in with work etc. but no doubt include a marathon and an ultra at least.
17/06/2014 at 19:38
Quite fancy Loch Katrine marathon and it's not too far from me. Ultimately would like to do The Highland Fling but need to get stronger, fitter and lighter first and do a few more 30-40 mile races 1st. Not sure if Fling is something I can achieve in next few yrs or something for the future when Camryn is grown up. I can only really run during school day just now so limited to 6hrs and can't b off running parts of WHW at weekends to really train properly for it.
17/06/2014 at 19:40

oooer! ultras. that was, in the words of my class, and EPIC report. (both in scale and content!)

that's a lot of sandwiches. although trying to cater for 100+ must be a huge challenge, I think I would be quite touched and chuffed that so many people had been moved and wanted to share the celebration for a life well lived. my great auntie outlived nearly all her contemporaries and there was hardly anyone at the funeral. it just added to the sadness that there were so few people there to mark her passing.

I've signed up for the Edinburgh half marathon in sept. I'm no speedy hare so I am aiming for a sub 2 hour run. my best ever time was 2:00:08. and those 8 seconds REALLY bug me to this day. I mean, how much effort would it have ACTUALLY taken to put on a wee whoooooosh! had I known how close I was? anyhoo. since then I've managed a 52 min 10km so the omens are good. now if only somewhere in this busy life of full time work, a husband who works 5 evenings a week and 2 small children I can find time to train...

I hope the hospital stuff goes smoothly tomorrow caro. that bloke sounds like a Big Cheese in the world of Cancer and a good person to have contacts to. I hope he can offer you some good edavice/treatment paths/support.

17/06/2014 at 22:31
It's alright CC, E looked at me the other day and, with a voice filled with incredulity, said "you're not a doctor...you're a mummy". The look she gave me made it absolutely clear that she thought I was completely deluded - although she couldn't tell me what she thought it was I actually *do* when I go to 'work'!

Fab race report, I can't believe how much detail you can remember! I have a horror of biting insects as I've always reacted really badly - your race sounds like my idea of a nightmare! I definitely fancy trying a long race at some point, but I think that point is a few years off yet.
17/06/2014 at 22:47
Kids always make u feel so good about urself eh lol

I know I could probably do The Fling on similar training to Dirty 30 with maybe adding an extra 5 Miles onto Loch Katrine as training too. But I would like to cover some of the route too. Altho I could walk bits with Cam on Saturdays. But need to sort weight out first and get myself a strength training regime. Maybe 2016 for The Fling. Not sure about GO33 as training always goes over summer hols so doubt I'd b up to the distance at that time of yr.

Fab race report CC, u remember so much detail about the route that I don't. I am sure I never went over a stile (except to get into campsite) and I totally missed the but where dirty 30 and dirty dozen splits, don't know how. I know I passed it but wasn't aware there was another way to go at that point. I never noticed the midge after left campsite in the morning either, but that could b a childhood on Skye has made me immune lol.

I have a bruised big toenail which I think has a blister under it, not painful and was expecting it as it bruised a couple of times in my Brooks during training. But I didn't want to wear my innov8 terrafly as had worn them at EMF and had the peroneal knot so thought different shoe would b good idea so soon after. Knot has gone completely now thankfully.
17/06/2014 at 22:52
Also if I was going to do Fling I would do an ultra training schedule with back to back runs, hence why I need to get slimmer and stronger 1st. Never done back to backs b4. But that can b my mission for tail end of yr when I am not running as many miles, I should b taking advantage and doing lots of strength training.
17/06/2014 at 23:02

Awesome report CC - I think the midges would have driven me made but I guess you're used to them up there (say nothing of the distance hills etc!!)

Grrrr to job comments though!!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.