Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

40,461 to 40,480 of 45,793 messages
12/09/2013 at 14:23

In Wokingham though so at least a reasonably posh location 

12/09/2013 at 16:14

my first date with hubby was pizza express, Woking, I think I drank most of the wine and probably did most of the talking ...

12/09/2013 at 17:23

love the engagement stories, hubby proposed to me while I was in the bath..... at the Hilton in Park Lane. He had borrowed one of my rings to get size for engagement ring but had taken one too big for me so I still had to get it made smaller!

Boo to cat going back (although that is also a yippee), juggling balls, upset tummy (Fraser later....)

Yippee to being loved up still and preparing for racing!! 

CC - ggrrrrrr to forecast, hope it stays better for you as it did for me. No fun when you are soaked and cold aswell as knackered! 

Caro - you would need to start well back if they don't want you overtaking!! Will be lovely to see your sister, hope you have some good runs together. 

Legs aching less but chest is a royal bugger and coughing up lots of green still.... yuck! 

12/09/2013 at 20:05

Oh blimey JT - that sounds like a cracking class you've got there . good news re the scan though - phew.

Route is Ultimate Trails Lakeland 100km, start/Finish at Brockhole, N of Windermere so big loop, heads up to Haweswater via Kentmere, Bampton - Howtown - Boredale Hause - Grizedale Hause - Dunmail - Watendlath - Stake Pass (in the dark I expect!) - Langdales - Ambleside - Brockhole. So some lovely passes to cross and some 4000m of + / - height

In fact, re the teaching, can't imagine most of a class like that!!! .. what is awful is just the backgrounds of some of these kids, like you say, the carp parenting cannot be imagined by many of us who just wouldn't dream of treating our children the way some do ... sigh

12/09/2013 at 20:26

It's interesting you say about the parents JT - there is one school around here that no one wants their kids to go to, as it's never going to be a great school precisely because of the kind of housing it's surrounded by and the people that live in that housing.  Anyway after yet another new head and revamp one of the TAs was made redundant and now works for my childminder and the breakfast and after school club.  The club deals with 2 schools, one 4 form and one 3 form so both big, and her comment to my childminder was 3 fold - the kids are well behaved, the kids all speak english(!) and it's obvious that the parents care.......

Busy day, work tomorrow, friends from Yrk coming to stay for wk end with kids, looks like bad weather all wk end.......

12/09/2013 at 21:15

we have a school similar here Caro - there are three in our local town. This particular is positioned within that kind of housing, last year they were temporarily rehoused in the other two schools while some maintenance went on, all schools said the kids were fabulous - really polite and well-behaved etc etc. So no, it's not always bad parenting for sure ...

Just had blazing row on phone with hubby (never a good way to end evening) as he's now got to go back to work on Sunday eve ... to be fair he has sorted out childcare for the kids Sunday evening until I return (the husband of the friend I am going with is going to have my two plus his three until we get back - brave man that) but I'm not looking forward to getting us all up and out on Monday morning!!! Not hubbys fault he has to go, BUT it just seems that on the rare occasion I DO have something I want to do, the plans are a bit challenged!!

Think bad weather is across whole of UK ... bah ... and it's dark too ...

Edited: 12/09/2013 at 21:15
12/09/2013 at 21:54

Grrr to hubby CC - I've had similar!

Hubby proposed spontaneously in Hyde Park in London. He was planning on proposing while we were in NZ on holiday a few months later so we could celebrate with my family but got to excited! Took us 3 years to get married though!

Beautiful sunny day here today! Off to the farm when hubby finishes work yay! Although Mum has a bad back and Dad's hip is now terrible (scheduled for hip replacement next month thankfully - its taken him several years to get it looked at (stubborn farmer!) and he is so crippled so will be life changing for him.

Has anyone had problems with pushing with their toddlers? Matilda has become pretty bad at this. Apparently she did it quite a lot when she went up a stage at daycare which is normal but she now does it to her friends when we meet up (mainly the wee lad that is her 'best' friend). Sometimes its because they have snatched something off her, or she wants a turn on what they are on or it can be just for the sake of it. Trying to stop it without making a big deal of it but its frustrating. Also all my friends little ones are 4-5 months younger so she's the oldest and therefore the one who has moved onto more challenging behaviour. My friends are lovely so never make me feel bad but I can't wait until the others start the next level of challenging behaviour!

3 x flight of steps (its a big flight ok!!) so am progressing. My physio is getting one of those seriously fancy gait analysis thingees soon. I am definitely going to need orthotics of some sort because my foot still does not have full strength and compensating muscles are resulting in a very tight hip which will cause plenty of problems when I increase my exercise! Just hope they aren't going to be too pricey!!!

12/09/2013 at 22:03

CC the TA meant the kids she is working with NOW have parents that care......implying that n the old school the parents didn't care.  Astounding about not putting names on things.  I get so annoyed when she loses things even when they are named.  We picked up some new uniform today and I said she absolutely couldn't wear it tomorrow as it wasnt named.  Last term her PE shorts didn't come home at half term. After half term she assured me they had been found so I was a bit surprised when the ones that came home for the summer said 'spare' on them!  But I'm afraid as far as I'm concerned if I send in named shorts, in a class of 4 yr olds the teacher needs to help them a bit so we don't all lose stuff-so i cut the tag out that said spare and sewed her name on!  I call it a swap.......

grr CC, I feel your pain!  You will be shattered.......

eric seems to be a bit pushy, I just say no.  My friends little girl in Cornwall bit him repeatedly hard, so I just count my blessings that I don't have a biter!

12/09/2013 at 22:08

Yay to lovely weather and fun on the farm Hoggle. And hope your dads hip gets sorted. Good luck for weekend CC - and hope weather is not as bad as forecast for you. Think Sunday is meant to be the worst day Caro, so maybe do as much as poss with your Friends on the Saturday?

vlass sounds tough JT. don't know how you do it. Pleased your scan was good though. Loved all the engagement stories too! BrilliAny. But not as brilliant as iPhone autocorrect. Bah! 

Shame cat had to go back JG. but probably for the best. I know zero about scats. Would like to get one when we move house as we will have a decent garden/rural setting etc. should I wait till baby 2 is older? How old? And can I just get any moggy from shelter or are there breeds that are good with kids etc?! I only know about dogs!! ( which I want too, but I want kids to be a little older so I can properly train a puppy without potty training kids at the same time !) 

counting days till due dat

12/09/2013 at 22:11

Due date now. And thereafter, when I can start running again!

pushing - dunno really, I guess just say no as Caro says and emphasise that it's not nice, might hurt people etc? E is a bit the opposite to be honest. If another child as much as bumps him, he sobs like he's been mortally wounded! Even if said child is much younger than him! should I be trying to toughen him up?! 

12/09/2013 at 22:26

Brookie - the Shelter here says if they're good with kids or not, although the majority are not.  A cat is quite likely to not like a new baby, and you have to be really careful and not leave them alone together.  We had 2 when we had Sophie, one old cat who couldn't care less and used to sleep on the floor next to her moses basket in the living room, and the other younger one who legged it as soon as she cried!  Older one has now died but younger one will let the kids stroke him but doesn't hesitate to leg it out of the cat flap if they're too noisy!

Maybe I'm biased after our recent experience!  We are thinking we'll wait at least a year before thinking about adopting one again, and Nicky is 3 already...

Pushing and other bad behaviour - it's hard when they're young but all you can do is watch them the whole time they're around other children and reinforce sharing and model how to ask for something/take turns etc.  I'm sure it will just be a phase!

Nicky is being awful with Sophie at the moment, hitting and pushing her, usually when I'm not looking, so I'm really trying now to watch them closely and dump him on the step if he does it, as he is old enough to understand it now.  It's also interesting to see how much Sophie winds him up before he gets to that point though...!

Had a dull day at home today as both kids have had diarrhoea since yesterday, so have to take 2 days off nursery/school.  Weird as they are absolutely fine apart from a bit of tummyache occasionally, but they are wanting to eat normally although Nicky has definitely been off his normal portions!  Typical that Nicky has just mastered the potty, although he has made it every time so far at least... It means we've stayed at home though as I do NOT want that kind of disaster in a public place !

JT - class sounds awful , is it a tough catchment area?  

Got a wedding on Sat (and my birthday ) so we're staying over in a hotel nearby and grandparents are having the kids for the first time.  Just hope they're all better by then!  I'm thinking of going for a birthday Parkrun but will see how I feel .

12/09/2013 at 23:51

Just had a long chat with my friend who lost her baby - more touh news for them. She has to have a laproscophy (Sp?) and then full IVF now. Also the coroners office was in touch to finalise their report on Fletchers death and it turns out the GP surgery who should have suggested a blood test when he was taken in twice with jaundice at 8 weeks and said he was fine have lied and said that they offered a blood test but it was declined. My friend is furious and devastated as you can imagine. She had written a letter to them after he died saying that they should have offered him a blood test and they had written back and said that they had since changed their policies as a result. But then went and lied on their statement - they had obviously forgotten about the letters which have now been handed over to the coroner. I am just so mad that now they have to deal with all of this on top of everything else. LIFE IS JUST NOT FAIR!!!

13/09/2013 at 10:39

No life is definitely not fair. Wonderful loving parents lose 

children and abusive, neglectful parents get to keep theirs 

and cause untold damage to them and ultimately society.

My running buddy is a head teacher and she has had her fair share 

of kids in her care with behaviour problems due to Mum/Dad/StepDad's violence, sexual abuse, alcohol/drug abuse, mental health problems (usually due to horrific abuse/neglect they suffered as a child), it's heartbreaking. It's horrendous for 

teachers who have to work with these kids, u want to help them and protect 

them but u have to send them home at 3 everyday to God knows what. 

That's why schools in bad areas have high turnover of staff. 

Too stressful being faced with that everyday, u eventually have to put 

ur own health and family 1st and get out and move to nicer school with less 

damaged kids.

13/09/2013 at 11:32

Oh Hoggle, that is just awful. As if they haven't been through enough already. Hugs x

Great news on the scan, JT

Hope everyone is better for the weekend, JG. 

Brookie, I would wait until baby is a little bit older - having a new cat can be like having a new baby (even if you get an older one!). we had two when JP was born and they didn't bat an eyelid, but I guess every cat is different. The two cats we have adopted since then are pretty chilled out and had a new baby in their previous home, so I am not too worried. Will just keep an eye out!

I am now officially a lady of leisure!  It feels a bit odd yet, but I am sure I will get used to it

13/09/2013 at 15:16

How many days til due date then Brookie?

Woo hoo lady of leisure TattyB.

Hope the kids are better today JG.

I am a lady of  leisure today too. Was about to cut the grass but waiting for a phone call back about ordering medals for our club athletics competition.  Lovely day here.  20 miles on the road bike and then a 16 mile run. Geez running feels tough after being on the bike. I did them a couple of hours apart but still. Mind you I did do my hilliest running route today which involves a 2 mile steep uphill and then a good yeeha down the other side!

Good luck CC. Enjoy the weekend, can't wait to hear all about it.

13/09/2013 at 16:29

Good luck CC!

13/09/2013 at 16:32

Good Luck CC!  Don't drown or get blown away.

13/09/2013 at 19:04

Good luck CC!  Well said TT, I certainly felt like that when I was teaching, and people can't understand why I left...

Woo hoo to ladies of leisure!

13/09/2013 at 19:56

GOOD LUCK CC xxxxxxx 

Hoggle that is terrible when people  shift the blame just to cover themselves. As if the parents need extra grief. So sorry to hear they will also need IVF. With regards to pushing, yep Archie is a monkey. Generally when we are in public (like the dentist earlier) and he is nervous he resorts to hopping about, throwing his coat at me or pushing me or Tom. I give him a firm NO! and then he carries on regardless.... 

Loving the ladies of leisure.... not my idea of kicking back if you are a) growing a baby or b) cycling 20m and running 16m on the same day! 

Went to the Dr earlier as feeling carp but chest is clear so I was told to get some proper rest and not rush back to schedule.... not good when I had a sea swim planned for tomorrow.

13/09/2013 at 22:27

3.5 weeks to c section date Lotte. Not long. And 2 wks to our house move!

GOOD LUCK CC!!! can't wait for race report! Totally agree with all comments above regarding your friend Hoggle. Just awful. I bet she is glad she has you for support though. 

Take it easy Camlo! But good that your chest is clear at least? Maybe a pool swim rather than the sea tomorrow? 

Ta for cat advice. Probably will wait a bit. Think I've enough on my plate for a while yet! Yay to maternity leave Tatty! 

boy oh boy the RAIN tonight! It is just hammering down! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.