Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

40,601 to 40,620 of 43,240 messages
03/07/2014 at 22:34
Caro - I hope you get to see someone tomorrow if you need to. Fingers crossed it all settles down soon.

Sonya - you'll cope just fine with getting to school with a newborn in tow...because you have to! I had 2 weeks grace because O was born on the last day of term before Christmas, but once school re-started I had to get them all up and out on time, and there were certainly days when I felt absolutely awful and things were a little chaotic(!), but we were never late.

I have developed a pragmatic view to labelling stuff. They do PE a couple of times a week and these are the only times all their uniform comes off, so you could theoretically have a couple of really well named sets if you were organised enough - I'm not! I have 2 sewn-in name tapes on the cardigans - one in the back of the neck and one that wraps around the bottom edge by the buttons which is visible when she's wearing it so I can see really easily if it's hers (or if hers is on someone else!), and most other things are named with a pen or a sewn in name tape where I've bothered. I bought a set of shoe naming stickers just with our surname so all their shoes are labelled (and passed down where possible!). I don't think we've actually lost any clothes yet -water bottles are a different story! - but I have had to retrieve cardigans from the 'jumper dumper' in the classroom a few times!

Has anyone got a good way to name water bottles etc? I write on most of them with a permanent marker but it runs off. I have considered buying a set of labels but assume they would come off with washing too, or one of those label making machines (which I quite fancy the idea of anyway!!)?
03/07/2014 at 22:57
Vixo, Sonya - I've got stick on name tags from http://www.mynametags.com/ for water bottles, snack boxes, packed lunch boxes etc. Never had any come off - they survive being washed no bother. Some people put them on shoes and clothes too - I've never tried it (mainly Megan has such sweaty feet I don't think anything would survive them!).

Caro - glad the tramadol at least letting you get some restful sleep. Hope all OK with the wound. Don't panic on the arm - my friend was the same in the first few weeks and physio found she'd actually been too vigorous/overdoing it with her arm exercises which had made it more painful/immobile.

CM - I've worked in a university for 10 years. Unfortunately IT doesn't have a great reputation at my work, whilst its getting better the password debacle is just the kind of thing that would happen where I am.

Reading, but just never seem to manage to post. On holiday this week and next - off to the Lakes for a week on Saturday so sorry to all in advance for next weeks weather as it usually p****s down when we go our hols
03/07/2014 at 23:24

I just label everything with a laundry pen (lazy mummy!)

will read back tomorrow - mega catching up to do!   Caro I hope you are doing well.

04/07/2014 at 09:30

it just never stops here. since the students went home, it's been a nightmare!! they do all the changes in the summer and it causes hell! today it's uni open day and results day and there are all manner of issues

I too have given up with name tags mostly. I name a few things in a fit of enthusiasm with sew on tapes but then generally write on stuff for the rest of the year! T has some iron on ones but they are rubbish and don't stay on. I wouldn't bother with them.

04/07/2014 at 11:02

The problem with iron-on labels is that, in order to stick properly, the iron has to be very hot. This is too hot for most schoolwear, which tends to be made from man-made fibres. I have found the stick-on labels from Easy2name to be pretty good on water bottles etc.

04/07/2014 at 12:26

i had some free stick on labels for the kids from somewhere - I think when I ordered more sew on name tapes. they are fab. they are still stuck on but after a whole school year of daily washing, the names are now rubbed off!

04/07/2014 at 14:12

We don't see to have much uniform, so I have just sewed them on.  Still doesn't prevent things gong missing!  The water bottle stays in the lunchbox so is un named. I write on shoes, hats etc.

Had coffee with my new acquaintancwi with breast cancer this morning, then as I was half way to the hospital just walked the rest of the way.  Passed a nest full of baby coots - cute!

after the nurse stick a needle in my swelling and couldn't get anything out because I yelled in pain so much, she called the consultant who did the same and managed to get some fluid out, and I am now on antibiotics.  Phew.  Now I can relax over the wk end, and enjoy going out tomorrow night and the wedding on Sunday.

good luck with your ultra CC. 

04/07/2014 at 14:19

Glad they got something out Caro and hope that's made it a lot less painful. Is your husband back now, nicely rested from being pampered in first class?  ;-)

04/07/2014 at 15:04
I use the same sticky name tags as MR, they are great, generally stay on through the wash for clothes, bottle, lunch bag, everything!

Sonya, you will be fine. B was tiny when Martha started and I managed to get them all out the house on time. Mine are always up early though which does give us lots of time!
04/07/2014 at 19:28

Forgot you were racing CC! Good luck! Looking forward to report

thanks for all label tips, knew you would all be a great help! had a suspicion that iron on ones weren't the best idea. They need to leave wellies etc at school so hard wearing sticky ones would be great. And I already have some fabric pens somewhere. There was actually an advert for mynametags.com in the school pack so I'll look them up. And great tip to only put surname! I may be putting 3 kids through some of this stuff.

and thankyou for reassurance I will survive school run with toddler and newborn in tow! I know I'll manage somehow, as we all do!

caro- pleased you have abs, even though sounds a v painful way to find out you need them! Hope you enjoy a weekend of partying

hubby gone out to local beer festival with my sis and BIL. I don't mind as kids in bed and I get to eat trash and watch trash all on my own. Poor hubby deserves to go out, work is stressful and house sale getting worse, our buyer has announced, after doing survey, that she wants 50k knocked off price!!! We said f*** off of course! It is a 150yr old masionette that obviously needs some work but it isn't falling down! If she does pull out though it may mean our landlord cannot wait for us to find new buyer and won't sell us this place, meaning we'll get given our 8weeks notice.....  Trying not to panic and being very positive in front of hubby but I really could do with some beer too! 

right off to heat up random freezer stuff for my dinner then demolish some more of the two kilos of strawberries we picked this morning (covered in the kids squirty cream and chocolate syrup - nom!!!)

04/07/2014 at 23:43
CC u will have more than enough food. I was same on Dirty 30. Ended up carrying more than twice the flapjack I needed a peanut butter & jam sandwich that got binned and a banana that got binned. And I had already binned another peanut butter & jam sandwich I couldn't eat at breakfast. All I really needed was same amount of flapjack I normally eat on a long run plus a couple of handfuls of jelly beans from checkpoints and the tablet that was left out on route, which I had to nibble over 1.5 Miles cos I really didn't want any more sugar. Oh I also had a bag of nuts in my bag that didn't touch. I could have spent a wkend up that hill and not bn hungry with all that lot lol.
05/07/2014 at 07:20
Hope you are feeling a bit better Caro!
Good luck CC!
05/07/2014 at 22:16

Hope the antibiotics work and the wound starts doing some decent healing.

Password stuff sounds quite amusing but clearly isn't :P hopeyou are able to use t as a way of improving work processes at the college.

As a primary school teacher can I just confirm ow very grateful my profession is for well labelled items. Sadly it doesn't stop them going missing, (only child/parental/teacher constant vigilance can really help there) but it does make discarded items so much easiertoo reunite withEnders. Even brio, re written every other month, is better than nothing. We become masters in reading the fadedshadows left by well washed biros

05/07/2014 at 22:23

Am typing like eejit as am on iPad which hates runners world.

Discussion about non talking boys - the Boy here took forever to speak and I was a bit,you know, eeeeeeeee about it. But we have a 27 month check in Scotland and actually because he wasforming some simple sentences "up high mummy?" or similar he scored quite well in verbal communication. The Girl (3 years older) was freakishly good at words and so had given me false expectations. The Boy is now 3 and a bit and still isn't quite there with sentence structure. But he can make himself understood and it is quite endearing when he says "please I ave weet

05/07/2014 at 22:34

Which is how he asksfor sweets....

Hope the buyer can be met closer to asking price. 50k off sounds a bit like taking a cheeky ask.I suppose they have to try but I hope kicking them back just encourages them to put in a more sensible offer.

Am visiting my parents who live 350 miles from my house. We are here for a week because getting here involves so much travel time that it happens infrequently. The weather has been fab and wehave done loads of stuffwhich has been Brilliant Unfortunately the olds seem to have reached that stage of life where they are grumpy and irritable about everything,including each other, as in their memories life was an all-round Better place. And they make moraity judgements on everything. Never in oe week have you heard so many tuts and humphs  and tongue cliks and seen so many eyes roll. despite toe issues, i've been able to run, somy sanity has only taken a small bashing. 

05/07/2014 at 22:37

And the Girl has First Wobbly Tooth which she HAS to hold on to until we get back to scotland as we have come down here without her Daddy and he will be gutted if he misses the tooth fairy's first call.

06/07/2014 at 02:35

Just home from a and e....finally the pain got too much and I succumbed.  Of course when i got there it finally starting leaking and so the pressure has gone down a bit.  They stuck me on IV antibiotics, tried to drain it repeatedly and unsuccessfully,Mao I may need an ultrasound to look for fluid pockets.  Am on diff antibiotics now.  They tried to keep me in to give me more IV stuff up I have a wedding to go to at 3.30 tomorrow afternoon thank you, and I need a good nights sleep!

06/07/2014 at 06:38
Poor you Caro, hope the stupid thing stays under control so you can enjoy the wedding!
Hello JT!
Back to Henley this morning to do race reporting for finals. My club did have a crew in but they got beaten by a German crew yesterday.
06/07/2014 at 21:04
Get some ice on that knee CC! And try to have a rest......
I didn't do too badly with my early start, got to Henley in time for a cup of tea and Danish pastry before I did race reporting. The 2 hour drive is a bit of a drag but at least the roads were moderately quiet.
06/07/2014 at 21:27
I need a plan too JT, I did 5k yesterday. The hills here are putting me off!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.