Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

40,661 to 40,680 of 43,503 messages
10/07/2014 at 08:38

Great news caro!

Come on CC - forget the edit just give us the long version! 

Pip - good running, good diet control, good anger management!! 

Kinsey  & Pip - boo to early waking

crap nights sleep, hot flushes again...... 

10/07/2014 at 11:27

Thank you, CC - I really enjoyed that and it wasn't boring at all: far from it!  I'm just so impressed at a) your feats of endurance, b) your time and position on this one and c) your ability to remember it all in such detail!  Glad the knee is feeling better; would be great if you and MM end up doing a race together

Caro, that's such fantastic news and really glad that the antibiotics have made so much difference.  Obviously shows just how rough you must have been feeling and I'd have been worried too about being unable to move the arm.  Hope you have a great day with the kids but don't wear yourself out too much - you still need to be looking after yourself.

Pip, glad you survived the holiday and had to laugh at image of struggling to remove wetsuit! Aside from the fact my swimming will never be strong enough, the amount of gear and logistics is enough to put me off the idea of a tri.  Running is so straightforward - decent pair of shoes and head out!

Had a rubbish run home from work last night (feel a right wuss typing this having just read CC's epic tale of endurance!) - 15 miles with IMTB along the canal towpath straight into a strong headwind with mega gusts.  Although it was windy it was also quite humid and once again he was spectacularly unprepared, so we ended up (once again) with 500ml of fluid between us for a 2-hour run.  On a warm and humid day.  I had also forgotten to bring the SiS soluble rehydration tablets I've been using for these runs (and much prefer to Lucozade Sport, which I've discovered massively upsets my stomach) so we only had plain water.  Started off in direct sunlight and I'd taken the decision to leave my sunnies at work as it was cloudy when I left.  So was regretting that for the first few miles until we crossed the canal and ended up on the shady side.  IMTB had also ignored my advice that running 15 miles in new shoes straight out of the box wasn't a great idea, and his right leg started to seize after about 9 miles (and boy didn't I know about it!!)  Running against the wind with no respite whatsoever started to take its toll I think, as obviously on a towpath you don't change direction so we knew from the start it was going to be relentless.  Some of the gusts were so strong I was literally blown backwards - that coupled with the non-grippy gravelly surface meant my legs were working at least twice as hard as usual and I started to feel totally wiped and a bit nauseous by 13 miles.  Was determined to push on though as only two to go but we did walk a couple of hundred metres which restored me a bit.

I think because it was so windy I didn't realise I was sweating as much as I probably was and losing fluid, and you actually sweat more in those conditions because the wind wicks moisture away from your skin more quickly which pulls more to the surface of the skin to evaporate, so definitely didn't hydrate enough.  It's odd though because I run that kind of distance on a Sunday morning and don't even take a drink with me, and certainly never suffer like that.  Maybe time of day, levels of humidity, etc.  I had also drunk nearly 3 litres of water during the day and been to the loo about 20 times in the last hour before leaving work so don't understand why I got so dehydrated.  By the time I got home I felt exhausted; struggled to eat and was a bit shivery for a while although that did wear off.  Will be glad when IM is over and I can get back to my normal running pattern!

10/07/2014 at 14:48
Minks- I have bn struggling with hydration in this weather too, wouldn't normally take a drink for anything under 15 Miles. But took a bottle on yesterday's 6 Miler and it was drained by halfway throo so took 1 Litre in hydration backpack on today's 8 Miler and I only had a dribble left by the end.

Great report CC, makes me want to do it, sounds much more doable than WHW, how would u compare GGU to Fling? I know fling is much shorter but do they kind of match up due to the terrain?
10/07/2014 at 14:50
Oh and thank u to both CC and Minks for those long posts, they got me through a very boring warm 10 Miles on exercise bike.
10/07/2014 at 16:21

CC - definitely not boring, even to someone like me who even when they are running rarely breaks 8 miles a week!  Not sure if you noticed but some of the entries lost some bits at the end.

Still in awe of you ladies who run such long distances, can't even imagine running a marathon let alone tagging on nearly another 2 afterwards!

Lovely to see some of our AWOL ladies back, we have missed you. 

Caro, so glad the infection is finally clearing up and great news about the nodes.  Fingers crossed you get to take a break soon.

CC, quite envious you are heading to Lottie's neck of the woods.  Hope we get to see some pictures of all 8 kids and 2 mums at some point!

Has been a hard week so far this week with house stress.  Finally ordered kitchen and bathroom cabinets and loads of flooring and other stuff yesterday.  Mr TT is going to fabricate all of our railings for balconies and stairs etc which is going to save us an absolute fortune but has added a load more stress.  Probably only 5-6 weeks maximum until baby arrives.  Can't we postpone it for a month or so??

I am leaving work early today though to meet a friend for a pedicure which is my birthday treat from her so am looking forward to that.  Can only just see my feet now so painting them is definitely out of the question!

10/07/2014 at 17:37

Only 5-6 weeks TT - that does sound soon!!

Really enjoyed the report CC - would love to do something like that but don't know when my mileage is going to increase enough to even contemplate a half or a marathon!

Mink - agree with CC that kind of running partner wouldn't work for me!

10/07/2014 at 17:58

CC, Kinsey - he isn't really that bad and although I'm doing far more mileage than I would normally be, I figure it's all going to be a plus in terms of my fitness.  I do feel though that he gets to benefot from this arrangement far more than I do, and was particularly miffed when he didn't remember my birthday or get me so much as a card.  Hubby says he owes me at least a bottle of wine for my efforts but I bet I get nothing - not that that's why I'm doing it but I do everything: plan all our routes, make sure we have drinks etc, run whatever mileage his plan dictates, I organised swim classes, we start runs at locations convenient for him if not for me and I've listened to hours and hours of relationship woes which hasn't really changed much since he separated from his girlfriend!  Hubby really has no need to worry!  I even got my head bitten off yesterday for telling him that Chris Froome had quit the Tour as he is mega into his cycling and avoids all news until he can get home and watch the day's events - like I knew that!

TTid, sounds stressful!

10/07/2014 at 19:07

wow cc - amazing report and what a woman you are! and here I am fretting about driving to Gatwick overnight and catching a flight in the early hours to Bulgaria with the kids because I won't get any sleep. and when I get there, we have to pick up a hire car and drive 7mins to our hotel. I don't think I would cope with no sleep and an ultra race!!

still in work - all in the plan for today tho. trying to catch up!

so must get finished up and head off...

10/07/2014 at 19:41

CM will it not be possible to drive up the night before and stay in a hotel?  We always do that now when flying in the morning, far less stressful.

10/07/2014 at 19:55

CC - you have NEVER run on a track before?????

10/07/2014 at 20:20

Yay, i love the report! Did you find out why 1st lady was dsq? 

10/07/2014 at 22:35

TTid - it is cost of hotel that put me off that idea. Plus fact the only ones I could afford only had buses once an hour thru the night so actually would have still had to get ypup at stupid time to get flight! And driving and parking was much cheaper... Ach well. Be fine :/

10/07/2014 at 22:35

Ypup? iPad! Up!

11/07/2014 at 11:29

CC - what do you carry your iPhone in when you run?  Have resorted to digging out old rowing kit as you can roll keys and phone in the top half which is handy but would prefer something a bit more stable!

11/07/2014 at 12:30

Awesome report. Loved it!! Think I will enter 3x3000, might read some more about it first though!! Think you will showing your heels to me CC after that running! Happy to share a room in B&b or lodge. Not so keen on camping in October. Might be ok I guess??

11/07/2014 at 20:31

Fab race report CC. brings back memories. Can't believe you have never run on a track! I do a track session most weeks. Hate it but love it at the same time! Anyway not sure why I am 'speaking' to you, probably will see you before you have wifi again!!

Feels really weird that CC will be here in the morning!

In the meantime I have the small matter of 18 kids here tonight! How do I get into these things. Sophie has 10 teenage friends camping over tonight. 6 girls plus her and 4 boys. And then my nephew is here and Dylan has a friend over. Did a bbq for tea and thankfully it is a nice night so they are mostly outside.

Did a 20 mile run this morning woo hoo. So glad to get one ticked off. Was tough as warm and I took no water but scrounged so garden taps en route! LEgs a bit weary after 10.5 miles off road yesterday and my Weds night track sesh. Was fairly pleased at that though as speed doesn't seem to have lost too much, managed 6.06 pace for 1.3 mile loop, 1:16 for 400m and 2:53 for 800. Just have to try and not get carried away, already talking myself out of my rest day tomorrow!

Anyway better go and check on kids. Hope you all have good weekends. And I hope this weather lasts so CC sees my beloved island at its best!!

11/07/2014 at 21:01
It's bn 23C on the mainland Lotte, think it going to b a shock going to Shetland and 13C.
11/07/2014 at 21:07

Wow. That's a lot of children! Hope they have fun scaring each other with ghost stories and eating tons and tons of sweets.

Am seriously impressed with the race report.and t he racing. hope the knee is continuing to improve.

Have a fantastic time on the islands. They are definitely on my hit list of p laces "I really want to visit" and the weather is perfect right now. 

Planning a big(ger than I have been doing recently) run for early tomorrow morning. Hopefully soewhere more in the 7 or 8 mile region. Then on a whim i have bought a £20 pop up tent and I am going to camp with te tinies overnight in a local valley beauty spot. OH thinks I want to take his scouting tent bu that has POLES and stuff which doesn't appeal AT all!! Fingers crossed te weather holds. 

11/07/2014 at 21:28

Haha TT I suppose. But 23C I could not cope with, way too hot. Even on our hottest day it wouldn't get ovet 16C. But it beautiful and clear with blue skies and bright sunshine, and no wind which is rare. Still sunny out now at 9.30pm and the there is not a chance of the kids coming in for a while.

Ikkle, well if you ever decide to come up and need a place to stay give me a shout. CC is staying in my BILs holiday cottage, I can get you mates rates!! They don't let it our but do let friends and family use it.

11/07/2014 at 22:54

I would freeze in Shetland!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.