Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

40,661 to 40,680 of 46,334 messages
08/10/2013 at 18:30

oooh, how exciting, had lost track of who was due when!!!

Look forward to hearing the news, and hoping everything is going as smoothly as possible.

08/10/2013 at 18:32

I had a skateboard one year as a Christmas present, was desperate for it and so excited ... my mum removed ANY cool factor from it by making elbow and knee pads for me to wear out of some old leftover brown stripy material and had a helmet to wear as well , also instead of it being a cool flippy number, was some lumbering great wooden thing!!  Can remember that eventually it ended up in the garage not being used - apart from my dad for moving bags of cement around!!!

08/10/2013 at 19:13

OK, so I wont feel too guilty without buying the pads then - actually she also has asked for a pair of cycling gloves so that's a good idea.

Good luck Brookie!  

Tatty when's it your turn?

08/10/2013 at 20:52

Ooh good luck Brookie!

08/10/2013 at 21:03

33 weeks tomorrow! Have finally decided to go for the section, so it will be in six weeks . I am a bit apprehensive about it, but the thought of putting myself and my family through another traumatic birth was terrifying me. If someone could wave a magic wand and guarantee I would go into labour on my own and that it would be straightforward (not pain-free!), I would go for it, but that isn't going to happen. I need to have the assurance of knowing exactly when it will be and how it is going to go. I also need a date to work towards in terms of going back on my meds. Hanging on in there at the mo! 

((Camlo))

08/10/2013 at 22:14

Can anyone recommend a tried and tested Xmas cake recipe, and preferably one I can find online so it doesn't need to be typed out!  

08/10/2013 at 23:43

I've got a good housekeeping one which works brilliantly. I'll try and google it. 

08/10/2013 at 23:53

I remembered I emailed it to a friend last Christmas so a quick copy and paste- 

Christmas cake:  serves 16 - 24  Prep 1 hr plus standing.  Cooking - about  2 hrs   225g (8oz) plain white flour 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) ground cinnamon 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) ground nutmeg pinch of salt 125g (4oz) dried mango, chopped 125g (4oz) dried pineapple, chopped 125g (4oz) pecan nuts, chopped 350g (12oz) raisins 450g (1lb) sultanas 175g (6oz) butter, softened grated zest of 1 orange 175g (6oz) muscovado or soft light brown sugar 4 eggs 60ml (4tbsp) dark rum   To finish:  45ml (3tbsp) apricot glaze (see below) 450g (1lb) home made or ready made white almond paste 700g (1 1/2 lb) ready to roll icing cornflour for dusting green food colouring icing sugar for dusting   1.  Grease and line a deep 23cm (9") round cake tin with a double thickness of greaseproof paper.  Tie a double thickness of brow paper band around hte outside of the tin. 2.  Sift the flour with the spices and salt.  Mix all of the fruit and nuts togther in a bowl with half of the flour mixture. 3.  In a large bowl, beat the butter with the orange zest until soft and pale.  Gradually beat in the sugar until well mixed.  Beat in the eggs one at a time.  4,  Fold in the flour, using a large metal spoon, then the fruit/flour mixture, and finally the rum.  Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and level the surface. 5.  Bake at 150deg C (300 deg F) Mark 2 for 2 hours or until a fine skewer inserted in to the centre comes out hot an dclean.  Leave in the tin for 30 mins and then turn out and cool on a wire rack.  When cold wrap tightly in fresh greaseproof paper and foil.  Store in a cool, dry place or at least 1 week. ideally make up to 6 weeks before required and "fed" weekly with 15 - 30ml (1 - tbsp) rum.  Pierce the surface of the cake with a fine skewer before sprinkling all over with the rum. 6.  To finish place the cake on a board and brush the top and sides with apricot glaze.  Cover the top and side of the cake with the almond paste.  Leave in a cool dry place for 2 days before applying the icing.j 7.  Roll out 450g (1lb) of the icing on a surface lightly dusted with cornflour and use to cover the cake. 8.  Colour 3/4 of the remaining icing green.  Roll out and stamp out Christmas trees with an appropriate cutter.  Stick on to the side of the cake using icing sugar mixed with a few drops of water.  Skewer two trees onto cocktail sticks and position on top of hte cake.  Shape the remaining white icing into snowballs;  stick onto the cake.  Dust with icing sugar to resemble snow to finish.    Apricot glaze:    125g(4oz) apricot jam 30 ml water   1.  Place the jam and 30 ml (2tbsp) water in a small pan.  Heat gently stirring until the jam begins to melt.  Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 minute. 2.  Strain the jam through a nylon sieve.  Use while still warm.    
08/10/2013 at 23:53

Ah the paragraph doesn't copy! 

09/10/2013 at 01:43

Ohh good luck to Brookie!!

my birthday today and both hubby and i are off so after dropping Matilda at daycare we went out for breakfast and then to see Mr Pip at the movies. They are apparently cake decorating together this afternoon so will look forward to eating the result! Off to the farm this weekend so will get another birthday dinner and the first time celebrating my birthday with my parents and siblings in a long time!

survived week from hell away with work - taking some days off now to recover!

Hugs to Camlo, I hope you're still able to enjoy your holiday xx

09/10/2013 at 06:59

Wow I am overwhelmed already EF!  Why do I think it's a good idea to make one this yr.........  Is it a super yummy rich one choc full of fruit and nuts?  I will copy it onto a word doc and print it to make it more readable.  

Off on a course today, sponsored by a drugs company, which just happens to be on a boat on the Thames . I never normally get to do things like this so I am going to enjoy it.  Then hubby and I are going for a drink before picking the kids up.

09/10/2013 at 06:59

Happy b day Hoggle!

09/10/2013 at 12:47

Happy Birthday Hoggle , sounds a lovely breakfast.

I did a Delia 'Creole Christmas Cake' the other year that was yummy with lots of fruit and nuts and didn't involve doing it several months beforehand - just as well, as this was made about 4 days before Christmas!!!! Doesn't have icing etc on the top though.

Autumn finally swept in today. Hard to believe on Monday I was running in the forest in a crop top and shorts, and today I had my gloves on, long legs on and a windproof top for good measure . Has been a while since I've done one of those runs where you know you should be moving forwards but the wind has other ideas!!!  Anyway, a briskish 6.5 after teaching pilates this morning.

09/10/2013 at 12:48

Course on a boat sounds fun Caro - unless you've got a breeze like we have at the moment!!!

but I DO like the sound of drinks with hubby before picking kids up ... enjoy

09/10/2013 at 14:25

Happy Birthday Hoggle!

09/10/2013 at 14:40

I've made one a few times from my Women's Institute Christmas cookbook, not sure if that's online?  It does  take 10 (yes 10 !) hours to bake but it is lovely and moist!  Also serves about 2000...

Weekend for me  - no extra money of course if I don't work anymore this week but I am so shattered!  I think the introduction of the new cat has meant some late nights (our resident cat always seems to turn up just as I'm going to bed so I have to stay and monitor how they react to each other before shutting Sid in the living room!). Last night they both slept on our bed which is a good sign, although Sid does rather invade Ralph's personal space a lot!  Just a bit of paw waving so far and some miaowing, no hissing which is good.  Ralph just wants a quiet life and I think Sid is a bit of a pesky youngster at the moment!  We keep telling Ralph to just wallop him and make him leave him alone, but I think he's too laid-back!  It will be easier when Sid can go out as well, then he won't be so playful in the house hopefully.

Anyway, time for me to catch up on things, got a ton of paperwork waiting to be sorted, a shower that's on its last legs, a bathroom that has needed tiling for about a year...circuits tonight though so at least I have an excuse 

09/10/2013 at 16:35

Message from brookie - 

Isaac William Adam Brook arrived at 11.19am weighing 6lbs 13oz. All well, much love Dan, Kate, Ethan and now Isaac! Xxx 

09/10/2013 at 17:24

aaaah, fab news, well done Brookie

09/10/2013 at 20:02

Well done Brookie.

Enjoyed my day. Started off with bucks fizz, coffee and pain au choc, 3 course lunch plus wine, plus some lectures of course, whilst whizzing up and down the thames, from westminster to putney to greenwich and back to westminster again! 

Did a 5 mile run this morning after dropping the kids off so didnt feel too bad indulging!

09/10/2013 at 20:11

OK, another random one from me, but given the wealth of mummy knowledge between you all maybe you can advise.  My cousin's son is 2 on 2nd Dec and still isn't walking.  He cruises, occ takes a few steps and will walk if you hold his hands - should she be worried?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.