Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

40,701 to 40,720 of 43,409 messages
15/07/2014 at 21:48
Caro - good to hear infection all sorted and you're feeling better again. From the wedding photos on FB you're looking fantastic despite half-time dressing changes in disabled loos! Fingers crossed you get some dates/timelines in place soon. Vixo's cushion was lovely - am very envious of those with sewing/craft ability - I could not be less gifted in that area!

Camio - well done on tri, great effort. Its the swimming that would do for me - hate getting my face wet which is a slight problem when it comes to swimming!

Sonya, TTid - hope the MRS not too bad. Our last house move we did whilst I was 38 weeks pregnant! In the space of 18 months we got married, moved three times, OH changed job and we rounded off by having a baby. It wore us out and we have pretty much had our feet up for the last 7 years, lol!

Just back from weeks holiday in Lake District - lots of cycling, rowing and general gadding about the countryside, Was lovely. Back to work today
PG3
15/07/2014 at 22:02

Hello

Caro - great to hear you got out on the bike today and the infection is sorted out. Also if you dont know anything about bikes, you can join most triathletes  I have been doing triathlon for 14 years and I am still useless with my bike.  When I used to take it abroad (before kids!), I had to take pictures of it so i knew how to put it back together again, and this was all basic stuff.

Minks - I used to bail on sessions more often than I do now.  Before kids, I could always go later or in the morning etc. Now I am pretty good at grabbing any chance I can and enjoying the peace and quiet.

I went to my daughters pre school sports day today which was fun.  She came last in all her races as she just giggled and looked at the other kids.  I went in the sack race and came last as well  My trousers kept coming down and I had huge turquoise pants on (in my defence, they were in the sale!).

I had a nice swim earlier whilst Isaac was in the creche and I paid a babysitter so I could get out for a run tonight.  I've never paid someone so I could run but it was totally worth it.  I did 5 miles. Am missing hubby but its getting easier.  I guess you get used to someone not being around.  

15/07/2014 at 23:03

A lady got a puncture and she told me someone else just stopped, fixed it for her and carried on. She overtook me on the run! 

Did a hill race tonight and it was 10times worse! 

Fab idea to start with gentle biking caro, keep it steady though and NO racing about! 

Pip - happy days! How long is hubby away for? 

minks- i know you pick that route as it also is your way home but could you try a different path to break the jinx? Is work taking more out of you so you are setting off with an energy deficit rather than well rested before a morning run? I didnt think i had stamina for swimming but my stroke is very slow so maybe that helps. Have you tried any distance in open water? Having a wettie helps too as it gives me more boyancy so dont have to kick much. 

MR - didnt know you did rowing too? Glad you had a nice break.

16/07/2014 at 08:47
Yay Caro, that's great about the cycling! Please don't go overdoing it though - enjoy it but make sure you are still getting plenty of rest. Saying that, I'm a firm believer in your body telling you what if needs so I'm sure you'll be sensible. Must have been nice to do something normal and get some fresh air.

MR, can't believe you did all that in 18 months - epic! Must have been pretty stressful though!

Camlo, not really possible to do a different route home as any other would involve running through parts of central London which I don't really fancy. However tonight we are running from my house as a) it's a shorter run this week and b) IMTB isn't at work today so it doesn't make sense to run home. After that we only have one more long run to do next Wednesday and then I can go back to doing what I want to do! Hubby says IMTB owes me at least a bottle of wine for all the time I've given to helping him train etc - bet I don't get one though!

Have been told it's a little easier swimming in a wetsuit - never tried one but makes sense. I think I still have a tendency to 'over breathe' when doing front crawl, especially when I tense up. If I'm relaxed I'm much better. I tend to find the first few lengths are ok, then I start feeling a bit tired, stroke and breathing go to pot and I start 'snatching' breaths and lose my breathing pattern. Still, when I look at where I was last September when I started classes compared with now, there's no comparison so I know I've got better. Just need more practice - I only do the half-hour class once a week which isn't really enough. Problem is public swim times at both the pools near home are rubbish - start at 8:30pm by which time I'd struggle to get out. Especially after a day at work. Annoyingly we do have a pool at work but it's only 2 lanes and at the times I'd be able to use it it's too busy. Need to look for another solution!

Pip, how long is hubby away for? Our sports day was non-competitive too, the children did a carousel of events in their team colours and winning teams got points for their colour. The only head to head event was the sprint, in which Kit came last. He was out in front until he realised no-one else was near him, at which point he slowed down to see where they all were and they all came past him! Need to teach him how to race lol!
16/07/2014 at 09:19

On train back to work 

Fecking loud irritating woman beside me. She's been telling her colleague about how her Italian grandfather was badly treated by the British during the war and I pretty much have her entire life history now. iPod is still in my suitcase. Argh. 

16/07/2014 at 10:42
EF, hope first day isn't too bad.
Caro, well done on getting on your bike!
CM, love the fancy dress!
Camlo, well done! Can't believe someone stopped to fix someone else's puncture!
PG3
16/07/2014 at 15:19

EF - I dont get people who just talk really loudly on the phone whilst on a train.  I am so careful when I am on a train to not speak too loud or for too long as I know how much it irritates me listening to other peoples banal bollox!

Hubby back on Friday hopefully.  It's not been so bad actually although Sunday was a bit rubbish as we usually just hang out as a family on Sundays.

Isaac has his first morning at a childminder tomorrow.  I wanted to put him in to the same nursery as Georgia but they need at least 2 mornings a week and its £40 a session, whereas the childminder will take him for 3 hours and its £5 an hour.  I am going to take off on my bike for a few hours and hope he is ok.  I feel a little self indulgent but I am usually pretty careful with money and I get 6 months full pay maternity leave so I am going to spend a little bit of it having a morning to myself.  I hope the childminder is ok.  Her English is a little ropey but she has a good ofsted rating and has been childminding for 22 years so surely she knows more about babies than me?!

16/07/2014 at 20:20

Hope you had a nice time pip.  We all deserve some time to ourselves, away from kiddies!

so I decided it was time to be proactive with the wonderful NHS yet again rather than just sit back and expect the things I have been told will happen to actually happen.  I didn't want to bother the nice nurse so I got the phone no of the barts oncology dept from my friend who has just finished her chemo there.  The phone was immediately answered (if I'd been calling whipps it would have undoubtedly been a queue and an automated system, so I was impressed) The guy was very helpful, found me on the system but said they hadn't received my referral yet.  This is now a wk after I was discharged from the surgical team at whipps and told I would get an appt to see the oncologist at barts either this wk or next wk.  he gave me his e mail and told me to contact my nice breast care nurse to get her to get the referral e mailed and as soon as he had it he could do me an appt.  So I called nurse, left a message and she hasn't called me back.   so blooming frustrating!!!  I have a diary of blankness that I need to fill for the school holidays, an invitation to Cornwall for the bank hol wk end, and very generously (or madly,) CM has said we can stay in her house the wk after next when they are on hols.  But I can't plan or organise anything and it is driving me round the twist.  

And breathe........

16/07/2014 at 20:52
Caro That is frustrating, you shouldn't have to chase but if you don't it will take even longer or get 'lost' in the system.
Hope you can work hols around once you know the schedule.
16/07/2014 at 21:25
Caro - I meant it when I said you could stay in our house too - we could do with someone to feed the cats! Hope you hear from them soon. I agree, very frustrating, and not what you want when you're waiting to find out about your treatment plan.
16/07/2014 at 21:31

I'll just do a tour of the UK staying in all your houses when you go on hols

I've never been to South Wales, and hubby is excited to show me and the kids the gower, but I havent said a word to them incase it doesn't happen.......are you going to Switzerland vixo? 

16/07/2014 at 21:48
Yes, can't wait. Mountains, fresh air and family time - perfect!
16/07/2014 at 22:05

You have to come now I have cleaned my fridge and oven and written off a work skirt by dripping oven cleaner from the bin bag all over it Caro!

16/07/2014 at 22:42

If I had a house and I was planning to take a holiday, you needn't restrict your tour to UK Caro.....  Maybe next year!  Hope your referral comes through soon. 

Got a proposed section date, August 18, eek that's only 4 1/2 weeks away. One nice thing though is that it is my mum's birthday. 

Had a day of house admin and choosing things. The pressure is now full on to get everything chosen. Comparing to Sonya's position, at least we'll not be homeless, thankful for small mercies and all that!!

16/07/2014 at 22:51

I'm doing everything in my power CM, I promise!!  I'll be back on the phone tomorrow.......

I'm taking Eric and one of his little friends (plus mum) to lo lee valley farm tomorrow minks.  Thought we'd go before the school hols.  I'm really looking forward to a nice day out with him.  It's going to be a scorcher.........

the family time is what I loved the most about our holiday last yr vixo, 2 wks, just us, no worries about house work, school, shopping etc.  am sad not to get that this yr, but hopefully we will get away, even if its only a few days.

hubby and I are taking Matilda to see 'Matilda' on Sat for her b day and have booked lunch at belgo in Covent garden first.  Am really looking forward to it.  Haven't been to a good musical in yrs.

16/07/2014 at 23:10
Enjoy 'Matilda' Caro - the older sister of one of Kit's classmates played Matilda for 18 months. She finished last September; I think the parents were secretly relieved as the constant to-ing and fro-ing back and forth to central London nearly killed them. Hope you have a lovely time at Hayes Hill Farm - Eric will love it!

Boo that you are having to be so proactive but it's better than sitting around waiting for something to happen. Hope you manage to make contact with the nurse tomorrow - can't say I'm surprised that the referral from Whipps hasn't gone through though ...

Great idea to house-sit for everyone! Looks like we may not have a Kit-free week this summer hols - having been on the waiting list for over a year for a knee replacement, MIL has got surgery scheduled for the Monday of the week Kit's supposed to be staying with them. She actually got a letter asking for feedback on her surgical experience - turns out she got lost in the system somewhere and they clearly thought she'd already had the operation! So it's not just Whipps Caro!

We're off to Pembrokeshire a week on Saturday, really looking forward to some family time. Only got a week booked, staying with the in-laws for the second week of our hols. Had planned to then leave Kit with them for another week but unlikely now. Actually I'm quite pleased and will start planning some days out to do with him.
17/07/2014 at 08:50

Hope you have a grand time at Matilda. We are just starting on some Roald Dahl and I love the way the Girl is in equal parts terrified, repulsed, intrigued and entertained by it.

Hope the house moving is going ok. Can't even bein to contemplate moving our mountains ofstuff out the house (the HUGE piles of stuff also explain why we could never involve ourselves in a house swap - although we do have a 5 berth touring caravan that we could leave on the drive )

Hurrah to summer holidays. Our camping was brilliant idyllic bandy netting, stone throwing, river splashing, cool playpark! the tinies and I are dead keen to go camping again. Only this time we will take midge repellent. The Boy was incredibly tasty to the flying critters and it made him quite sad. We are off to the beach on Sunday for a family break. Bikes and trainers will be packed.

Back in to cycling at the moment. Nothing too dramatic - a 15 mile cycle last night up to an old ruined fort

17/07/2014 at 16:18

presented at the IT conference for the uni today. won a Toshiba chromebook in the raffle and got given a fluffy unicorn by one of the suppliers. happy days.

now need to do a day's work now i'm back in the office...

17/07/2014 at 17:50

Sounds nice CM.

So spoke to nurse today, Barts are aware of me......they are trying to fit me in blah blah, I pleaded with her to try and make sure I got an appt next wk (but not M's b day on Wed!) and I told her we were going away next Sat and I really really wanted to see someone before I went.  She promised to e mail them saying I was going away, but said she had no sway over at Barts.  So annoying having to swap hospitals!  

Have to go there tomorrow for a second psychology appt, so not looking forward to getting on the tube in 30c at midday.

17/07/2014 at 22:19

Gosh, so much to catch up on! 

Super effort Camlo, very impressive and great read. I am doing a good mix of training nowadays, swim 2.5-3k most Monday mornings before work, biking twice a week and running 5 times. 

Nightmare again Caro, and yes hot tubes and heat not good

SMax are great Sonya. I love ours

JT asthma again? Why is she not happy? I pay childminder £12.50 per child for after school club, which is 2-3 hours with travel and cooked tea.

We love camping too. Can't wait for our hols, two weeks time we will be pitched and settled in France, and enjoying some wine

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.