Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

40,801 to 40,820 of 46,363 messages
22/10/2013 at 12:57

Caro- glad u liked the skates, I thought they were good quality and sturdy too. 

Should get a few yrs use out of them too, with being adjustable. 

Thanks for advice on PF Camlo and CC, I can't sleep on tummy 

anyway, kills my back and I have got In habit of flexing my foot 

anytime I wake during the night. I don't tend to get that 

really bad bit 1st thing in morn pain usually associated with 

PF, tends to b walking that aggravates it and it only starts to niggle at 

7miles into a run. Only started on my last long run 2weeks b4 

Sunday's race. I was 7miles into a 14mile run and running dwn a steep hill, classic trigger apparently. 

22/10/2013 at 13:04

I used the frozen water bottle when I had it bad 3yrs ago. Think I'll b getting foam roller 

out for quads and calves tonight. Ran 3miles this morn and felt fab 

and did 8miles on exercise bike, again felt fine. Calves and quads just 

feeling tight when walking and stretching.

Foot feels good today tho, hoping that keeping runs under 

6-8 miles for next 4 months will banish the PF. Going to go for 

a proper gait analysis at run4it early next yr to get some new 

shoes b4 start training for EMF and Lochalsh dirty 30. Fed up with losing toenails and getting blisters everytime I run over 

15miles.

22/10/2013 at 13:07

CM - sorry don't have any advice but if the head guy has such 

high opinion of you then I am sure there will b equally good/better opportunities come up in the future.

22/10/2013 at 17:29

CM - I agree with tangy, there is obviously a great opinion of you out there, despite your totally incompetent boss!!  Real shame you don't feel you can give it a bash.

JT - have no idea about working in that sector, but I think you'd be fab.

I'm enjoying what I'm studying, it's just the pressure of the exam and trying to do everything at the moment!! and just dread the thought of failing it - have to get 70% for each paper ...

TT - I had a random flare up of PF earlier in the year when I was having other injury problems, I just kept doing really nasty deep massage into the crunchy bits under my heel and kept easy paced running and it just drifted away.

mammoth cleaning fest this afternoon - BORING but necessary, after a walk beside Findhorn river this morning. Strange weather, virtually no wind (unheard of) and 14 degrees.

22/10/2013 at 18:08

Saw my friend who is doing her PGCE at the moment at the wk end, and totally admire her for re training (previous role was medical sales) with 2 kids etc, it is so time consuming.  I am so done with exams and studying!!

22/10/2013 at 20:37

sadly, it's not one of those things you can give a bash. it's very high profile, so if you under-deliver, even marginally, you will be slaughtered. and I can't put myself through that at the moment

cocked up tonight with E. she was in the bath, so I jokingly asked her what she thought her teacher would say about her at parents' consultation tomorrow morning and asked her whether she had been good? she suddenly became utterly distraught and begged me not to speak to her teacher. it transpires that she got into trouble today for shoving another girl in a line because she was standing in the wrong place and wouldn't move (bossy? my daughter? nooooo!). anyway, she was reprimanded, said sorry and that was it. this girl is one of her good friends too, and they played together after school without any fuss. but suddenly she became terrified that her teacher was going to make a big deal of this one incident to the point where she was retching, snottering and generally inconsolable. she went to bed an hour and a half ago and I can still hear her sobs. feel awful now - I was only trying to have a laugh!

22/10/2013 at 20:59

Its tricky CM when they are that tired anyway, Martha appeared twice after I had put her to bed, then came up with 'Miss Bounds said that if I was scared I should put on my light and read'.  Obviously that is not what I want, she started blubbing when I put her light out too!  Roll on half term!

23/10/2013 at 10:57

roll on half term indeed!

well predictably E's parents' consultation was fine: Miss R couldn't even recall the incident when E had had an altercation with another child in a line! I had forgotten how light on information reception consultations are though! the only thing that came out was that E is terrible for fussing when other children don't do what they are supposed to do. she's such a goody two shoes that she can't stand it when the other kids don't follow suite.

I have a sick note. albeit only for a week. and the next available GP's apt is now 7/11 so I have booked that. sigh.

23/10/2013 at 10:57

roll on half term indeed!

well predictably E's parents' consultation was fine: Miss R couldn't even recall the incident when E had had an altercation with another child in a line! I had forgotten how light on information reception consultations are though! the only thing that came out was that E is terrible for fussing when other children don't do what they are supposed to do. she's such a goody two shoes that she can't stand it when the other kids don't follow suite.

I have a sick note. albeit only for a week. and the next available GP's apt is now 7/11 so I have booked that. sigh.

23/10/2013 at 12:17

I am such a div, I just spent ages looking for a discussion about ereaders I thought you had started on here Caro - I just realised its on Facebook.  Wondering whether to get hubby one for Christmas for when he travels?

23/10/2013 at 16:22

I'm ready for the end of half-term now!!!

23/10/2013 at 16:23

Poor you CM  - you never can tell what reaction you'll get!!  I got that comment about Sophie in Reception too - always quick to tell the teacher who wasn't doing good sitting/listening etc!  Tough one on the job front but you should be really pleased about that comment you weren't meant to see - you are clearly a valued and talented member of staff .

And a PGCE is definitely time-consuming as well as energy-consuming - I don't know how anyone does it with young children!  I did it pre-wedding and children and was still shattered, although then I got a teaching job and was even more tired...!  It's also emotionally draining, which is the bit I find hardest, I'm not very good at switching off my emotions so if a student has wound me up I tend to take that home with me.  Regularly sobbed in the car on the way home from school in my first year !

Just got my Leeds Abbey Dash number , still a few weeks to go and it's only 10k but it's meant to be a fast flat route so I'm quite looking forward to it.  Got to miss circuits tonight though as no babysitter and hubby begged me to let him play football....  Then we're away at my mum's Fri-Sun so no exercise for me as I feel too guilty leaving hubby with his MIL, although thinking about it I deal with mine all the time!

Tomorrow I've got a sort of informal interview/meeting with someone who runs a language tutoring agency, so fingers crossed something positive comes out of that.  Bit hacked off with my work today, just feeling unappreciated and uninformed , ho hum.

And I'm going into Sophie's school to help tomorrow too, thought I might as well do something with my free mornings.  There was talk of me teaching some French...not sure about that, I don't do little children other than my own !

23/10/2013 at 17:41

no, I don't do small children either - not sure I even do my own

the problem with E's desire to have everyone behave is that she actually takes matters into her own hands. she doesn't tell the teacher; she tries to sort it out herself! independent wee madam that she is. never had this problem with J - he was always the one in trouble because he wouldn't sit still / keep his hands to himself!

just made J's art teacher cry. whoops. her husband died suddenly last week, so I made an enormous chocolate cake with four different toppings (in quarters - smarties; maltesers; white chocolate buttons with sprinkles on them; dolly mixtures) and chocolate fingers round the outside. I am looking after her grandchildren tomorrow during the funeral, and she has a houseful today so I thought a cake might cheer everyone up. but I should have thought about it also making her cry.

23/10/2013 at 19:16

omg to the sterilisation JT. blimey! are they trying to drop you a hint!

yes, E is extremely eager to please apparently. not so much evidence of that at home, although she does HATE being on the naughty spot at home, so i guess it's the same character trait - ie she desperately doesn't want to be in trouble! i have seen an absolutely monumental transformation in her behaviour since she started school. she PLAYS. BY HERSELF! for AGES!!!! this has never been known previously. granted, she is in the lounge, having brought her mat down from her bedroom so that all her dolls can sit on it while she bosses them around and teaches them phonics and all the songs from school. but it is incredible as she has never ever been able to entertain herself for a single second without me watching or joining in before. so i bloody love E's teacher for transforming my daughter into a child that doesn't need my attention for every second of the day!

J has a kindle and loves it. just a bog standard one - not a paperwhite one or whatever it is. cheapest one there was.

23/10/2013 at 19:44

I got am email from Waterstones and they have £20 off some Kindles plus you get a £20 voucher so it looks like a good deal although I havn't done my research properly yet.

naughty mummy, I just got rumbled having hula hoops and a glass of wine for dinner by Martha.  I ate too much lunch and just wanted something savoury and the wine was open but I still feel a bit like I have been doing something sneaky!

23/10/2013 at 19:46

CM, I am sure she appreciated the cake, sometimes people being kind is what sets you off although I am sure she was chuffed.

JT, ooh, do you think you will do it?  Wonder if they offer that often?

23/10/2013 at 19:47

CM, that was a really kind gesture, not to mention it sounds yummy, I would probably cry if you gave one to me! 

That's lovely what a positive  impact school has had on E, Max is a little like that too, likes to dob in the others if they are not doing exactly what they are supposed to.  Little snitch!

JT , that would have probably left me speechless too and I'm way older than you!

23/10/2013 at 19:54

I have a friend (actually, she is even less 'known' to me than you lot as I have never met her!!  - was introduced to her by a friend who met her on a plane once and they were both playing words with friends and she thought we would enjoy playing together!!  We almost met once as she doesn't live all that far away but she was at the wrong Starbucks!) - OK so REALLY tenuous but we have chatted a lot via messages and a few times on the phone.  She is in London at the moment (mainly to watch the American football game at Wembley - Jaguars are my local team, GO JAGS!).  Anyway she keeps texting me this afternoon, she is staying at The Ritz and is waiting for he husband and sons to join her tomorrow.  I just reminded her that the clocks go back this weekend (it's not until next week here) and I think she thought I was winding her up!  At least she can google to confirm.

Sorry, lots of waffle about nothing there!

Kinsey, hula hoops and wine, sounds like a perfect dinner to me.  We introduced Max to hula hoops when we were back in UK last year, sadly can't get them here, thankfully he has now forgotten they exist as he kept going on about them for ages.

Oh, that reminds me, he wants me to dig his toy hamster and bike helmet out of storage here at the office, I hunted for them yesterday but couldn't find them, better go and rummage through some more boxes.....

23/10/2013 at 20:52

Kinsey hubby has got me a Nook HD for my x mas pressie - they are going v cheaply now as I think Barnes and Noble are discontinuing them.  I originally was going to get a basic Kindle but then discovered you are totally dependednt on buying books from amazon, whereas with other e readers you can download library books - for free, just like a real library book.  Now this is where I start to sound like I know what I'm talking about but I don't.....the nook hd has android so I can apparantly download the kindle app, meaning I can buy bookds from lots of places incl amazon, and get the library books.  It's small, and because it is essentially a tablet not just an e reader I presume I can download apps and things and watch telly, but that's not why I got it.  It was £79, and my friend who reviews these things for PC Pro magazine rated it very highly. 

Here is his page of reviews of simple e readers

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/ebook-readers

and here is the one for the nook hd

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/tablets/378385/barnes-noble-nook-hd

23/10/2013 at 20:59

Caro

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.