Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

40,801 to 40,820 of 47,637 messages
24/04/2013 at 10:45

Hadn't heard that re. making the women's GFA entry harder.  When the marathon was sponsored by Flora the GFA threshold was 3:45 but Virgin increased it to 3:50.  Maybe it will go back to 3:45 again?  I can't see they could lower it much more than that, surely?

Boo to the asthma check behaviour Camlo, and boo to lost toenails.  I hate it when your child misbehaves in public and you get those 'looks' from other parents.  Fortunately that's only happened with Kit once but it was embarrassing, and certainly made me less judgmental of other parents when I'm out and about!

Lovely day here again, shame I'm stuck in a bl00dy office all day   Feeling a lot better today, touch wood virus seems to have passed through without turning gastric and although my energy isn't at its usual levels I feel more like doing things - I may even venture out for a run later as it seems rude to waste such perfect weather conditions.

24/04/2013 at 13:48

goodness Minks, you've been lucky with Kit then, I've had more incidents with Scarlett than I care to recall on behaviour out in public, and Joshua can got for it too occasionally, although less so!! Good to hear you are feeling betterish, but don't overdo, despite the lovely weather.

Beautiful here too today, and wind was much less this morning although picking back up again now. Was good to get out and run before it started blasting again. Rather an adventurous 10-miler along the river Findhorn. There are loads of paths and it's not always clear which is the main path and which is not, along with stretches where path has fallen into river ... obviously made efforts to avoid those!!! Even so, took me two hours to cover the 10 miles!!  Very undulating and muddy in places but fantastic views.  Ran in shorts again so lots of scratches from heather and branches - there are so many trees down everywhere!

Right, meant to be finishing planning for tonights class - have five so hoping the mats will all fit in the room!!

24/04/2013 at 15:19

i thought it couldn't get worse than last week. it just has.

got a phone call from solution director at 5pm last night saying 'i'm not asking you. i'm telling you. i need you in ipswich by 10am next tuesday'. i can't travel on tuesdays as i have the kids. he basically hung up on me after saying that he would need to think about replacing me.

an hour later, he phoned back. he needed me in london today to have a face-to-face meeting to come to a compromise about next tuesday. a compromise?? between not travelling at all and being in ipswich for 10am? not sure i understand.

anyway, here i am in london. he dumped a whole load of techie work on me (function point counting anyone?!) which needs doing by COP today. someone has just walked into the room while i was on the phone. when i came off the phone, he pointed at me and said 'introduce yourself'. i feel like saying 'F*!& right off'. but obviously i can't do that.

not a happy bunny

oh and i am still waiting for my compromise conversation...

24/04/2013 at 15:50

CM, what an a*se.  Not the way to gain the respect and co-operation of your colleagues.  Tell him you can't do Tuesdays and there is nothing to compromise on unless you travel on a different day.  Who is he anyway - not your boss?  It sounds as though he has serious issues, what a sh*t.

Chin up, he's not worth stressing over

24/04/2013 at 16:16

Oh dear, the guy has 'issues' written all over him, mind you, so does the colleague as well!!! Seriously though, it's not you, definitely them, try and hold your head up high and keep calm!!

24/04/2013 at 16:41

Hear hear Minks and CC - you would definitely have grounds for unfair dismissal if they tried to get rid of you, just empty threats I reckon which isn't fair on you at all .  Stick to your guns - you're not being awkward, you have a valid reason for not being able to drop everything and go.  Any understanding employer would see that.  Grr .

Been trying to keep up but always seem to be half a page behind!

Ofsted done and dusted - I didn't get observed at all , don't even know if they came in this afternoon after I'd gone.  Certainly showed up some holes in the organisation though - my colleague who organises everything asking if I'd got a scheme of work when I was the one who asked that in September and she told me they don't really bother with one!  So I refused to bust a gut organising one and said I'd done one when I hadn't - risky but soooo glad the inspectors didn't come!!

So I'm reeeaaaally tired today !  Up till gone midnight finishing my lesson materials, then went into Sophie's room and discovered she'd wet the bed and was fast asleep - took ages to wake her up!  Then a couple of hours later after I'd gone to bed she woke me up to tell me she'd wet the bed again - I don't understand how that's possible??!!  Then an hour or so later she woke me up again shouting and was having a bad dream.  Roll on bedtime tonight, Mummy is not at her most patient...in fact I made her cry in the night because I was so grumpy about her wetting the bed again and we'd run out of bedding - lots of apologies, hugs and references to "grumpy Mummy" .

Gorgeous day today though, just been in the park for a good half an hour after school, then came home and had ice creams.

Yeay to the decree nisi (hope I got that right!) CM .

Scary with Kit, Minks - sounds worse than last year when Sophie fell on her scooter in the kitchen and must have winded herself and lost consciousness for a second (eyes rolled like you said).  She came round again pretty quickly but I'd already called an ambulance as it scared me!

Glad you're home ok EF, loving the clot stories .

Forgotten everything else!  Oh yes Caro, great to hear you've found someone decent but rubbish that you were given such dodgy advice before.

24/04/2013 at 16:58

Hmm, he can't do that surely CM.  Regardless he shouldn't be speaking to anyone like that either!!  Call in to HR?  How stressful xx

Minks, sorry to hear about the marathon and then Kit being poorly too!  Not a good week for you xx

24/04/2013 at 19:52

Gah! I have an infected foot. Really swollen. No wonder it hurt so much those last 10 miles!! Nasty blisters all over is the main cause. So ant-B's for me and some soaking in salt water. Nice!!

Good news on the decree nisi CM. Fabulous. Not so good on the nasty bosses. Surely he can't speak to you like that??

OMG Minks sounds very scarey with Kit.

Back last night rather late, so no time as so much still to sort out, not helped by my disabling foot. Feels like walking with a brick attached to my leg!!

I have no idea how I got back with like that, if I'd have had to brake hard I'm sure it would have been pretty. Still back safely by 9.30pm. So much washing though!!

Fabulous few days. Fabulous wee house, just perfect really. Tower of London and boat trip on Monday, plus a meal out and a beer with an old friend of hubbie's in Greenwich. Changing of the guard, science museum, another lovely meal out with kids and Grandad, then the cable car before the long 3 hour drive home.

Spoke to my GP friend about my foot, she reckoned it sounded nasty and maybe out to be seen. It was throbbing like anything all day yesterday even with the ibupofen I was knocking back!! Had coffee with a friend who was a pathologist she saw it and gasped. So rang the GP. Of course no appts all week!!!  Doc did ring me back though and got me in at the end of surgery this afternoon, bless her such a lovely GP.

Right might have a glass of wine seeing as I can't run. Was planning 2 weeks rest anyway, so no worries there ...

24/04/2013 at 20:22
Oh no MM, ouchie to an infected foot but at leastnitnshould start to improve now you have antibiotics. Sounded like u all had fun in London though
CM- that all sounds totally unfair &.agree with what the others have said. Stand your ground.
Yes Minks, you have been lucky, my girls often embarrass me out in public!
jG- glad it all went fine & yay to trips to the park and ice cream.
Pouring rain again here. Sunny intervals today but still windy. Did 3 mile run with trailer but into the wind was so hard had to walk, then a quick 3 on the treadmill. Then a wee 6 mile MTB ride when hubby got home. 130 squats & 25 press ups!!!!!
Working two 12.5 hr shifts thur. and Friday, not looking forward to that.
24/04/2013 at 20:37

Ouch to the foot MM - no wonder it hurt!  10 miles without a bad foot is hard enough .

24/04/2013 at 20:47

CM is he your boss?  what a wan*er.  Ipswich is not a day trip anyway from where you are, not without working far too many hrs and being too tired to drive home.

So bolt from the blue today - F in L had a bronchoscopy today and has cancer of the airways.  Well we're still waiting for the biopsies but the lady doing it said in her many yrs of experience it almost definitely is.  He does smoke so it's not surprising.  Also waiitng for an ct to see how far its spread.  

24/04/2013 at 21:16

oh dear, MM. foot sounds really bad. hope it improves quickly with antibiotics

thanks for all your support today. no - the tw@ttish solution director isn't my boss, but he is managing the assignment that i'm working on. in the end, i asked him what his 'compromise' was and he said - we need to dial you in. errr - fine. why was that a conversation that needed to happen face-to-face?!

anyway, have found my hotel in bayswater. on the 4th floor of a victorian house. 80 steps up to my room. pokey old place. managed a brief run in hyde park - there was someone swimming in the Lido in the Serpentine. with no wetsuit on!! bloody mad.

now i've logged back on to finish my work. fun fun fun.

sorry to hear about your FIL caro. hopefully they have caught it early...

24/04/2013 at 21:18

oh and as for day-trips: i have a contract which expects me to be mobile. so they can expect me to be wherever they want me on the days i work and it's up to me to fathom how i get there. so technically they can insist that i am in ipswich for 10am on tuesday, and anywhere they want me on weds, thurs and fri as well. in practice, they know that i am a single mum so can't be places on the days i have the kids. but i have never worked with this w*nker before, and although i explained my constraints at the outset, it obviously didn't sink in.

24/04/2013 at 21:25
CM my friend belongs to the serpentine swimming club-they swim every Sunday, all yr round, no wetsuits allowed!!!!

So did no one teach the guy how to get the best from your staff?? I mean really, in this day and age when so much is supposedly known and taught about how to manage staff in order to get the best out of them and therefore improve their work he really needs to pull his head from the sand. How old is he??
24/04/2013 at 21:44

bloody hell caro - that is nuts!

this guy is old school. i would say ex-military, although i'm not sure. he has a 9 yr old and a 15 yr old, but i would say he is in his 50s, late 50s even maybe.he has a wifey at home who he says spends all her time having waxes and going shopping. which is presumably why he has such a disparaging attitude towards me?!

24/04/2013 at 21:46
Wish I was a wifey who could spend my days having waxes and going shopping. He's a fanny CM.
24/04/2013 at 21:49

EF -

24/04/2013 at 22:22

I guess I could spend some of my time having waxes and going shopping ... nah, perhaps not!!

Seriously though, there are plenty of those types about, a few reside in my husbands company and he has to 'work' with them sometimes

Ouchy ouchy to the foot MM - that sounds a cracker!! Love the sounds of your days in London though. My kids are desperate to do some London stuff so need a plan of sorts for the summer. Is difficult cos there are a few things we want to do and people to see as well but can't spend the whole summer down South ...

When do you start your job MM?

Yeuch to those shifts RF, and respect to the workouts ... did my 10-miler this morning and have waved my arms around whilst talking people through various moves!!  We have the wind too, was better this morning but back now so air full of dirt and sand AGAIN. No rain though ... yet ... think wind is here to stay for the mo

Rather shocked tonight to hear that where I was running today, someone fell of the cliff into the gorge the other day and has subsequently died!!  ... not in the nationals but in the Press and Journal so need to check it out. Am not surprised though, massive drops off edge into river below with only token bits of fencing.  Might explain why suddenly lots of proper trail signage is being put in place AWAY from the dangerous bits!

Edited: 24/04/2013 at 22:22
25/04/2013 at 03:09
Snigger, EF said 'fanny', snigger!! Great use of the word EF.

CM, I was going to say that there's just one word for your colleague, w@nker, but then thought of so many more - tw@t, c0ck.....
25/04/2013 at 10:17
lol, fanny is a well used word in Scotland, in fact there is an irn bru ad that plays on that fact. Did make me laugh seeing it in writing tho.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.