Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

40,861 to 40,880 of 46,090 messages
30/10/2013 at 00:49

Boo to the hand, foot and mouth. Hope all little ones with it/suspected hf&m are all ok. 

Os has been fine all day thanks JG. He's not had a temp since 3:00 yesterday but I had to keep him home. Took him to work and he fell asleep in car on way so I drove my car into our warehouse and left him in his car seat to sleep. He woke up after a while so I fed and played with him then he slept again until about 3:00 so I packed up and left work then. One of the benefits of having your own company I guess. 

Mr TT is in Toronto tonight, back tomorrow so not too long as a single mum this week. 

30/10/2013 at 00:51

Oh yes, welcome back brookie and congratulations. Hope you are settled into your new home now and the wee one is doing well. 

30/10/2013 at 05:44

Hope the poorlies are feeling better, Benedict had a fever over the weekend and he has passed it on to Aidan. A bit annoying as Aidan started an intensive swimming lesson course and has only done 2 days, although Martha does the class before so the teacher has said she can have extra as Aidan ended up in a class on his own as the other little girl he was meant to be swimming was so upset the first day!  Longwinded sentence there!

I hope the rest of us don't get it as we are off to Ross after swimming tomorrow for the end of the hols to look at houses and see grandparents!

30/10/2013 at 05:45

JG, Aidan got sent the flu vac letter just before his 4th birthday so he has had it.  It was a nasal spray not an injection so not too traumatic!

30/10/2013 at 06:48

Boy I was in a bad mood last night! Anyway, we made up, and I can hear Eric playing with his Iggle Piggle in bed so hopefully he is feeling ok!  My thoughts with all these contagious things is that the child no doubt picked it up from there in the first Place!  My big fear is that I get it too, as I had it when M did and it is one of the most painful things I have ever experienced.  I couldn't eat properly for weeks and my gums bled for at least a month afterwards so tooth brushing looked like murder!

30/10/2013 at 10:51

Sounds horrid Caro! No hand, foot and mouth here yet....

JG- yep, Maggie got the letter through about the vaccine and I called immediately and she had it next day! Just a couple of sniffs so as Kinsey said not traumatic! I really wish Rosie was older and could have it as she's the most vulnerable. I'm also trying to persuade hubby to go to boots and pay for the vaccine, then at least 3 out of 4 in the household are protected!

30/10/2013 at 10:51

I mean the hand foot and mouth, not your bad mood

30/10/2013 at 12:59

I looked up the date sheet for the vaccine to see why they weren't giving it to under 2s and its because its a live vaccine and could in theory make them unwell.  But from next yr all children will have flu vaccines, so E and M will be eligible.  Not sure if they'll then given under 2s the normal injection one or not, and as I don't plan on having more kids under 2 I'll probably never know!

30/10/2013 at 13:49

have to say, I've got mixed feelings on giving the kids flu vaccines ... I only had one last year because I KNOW what my chest is like because of the asthma, at the slightest hint of a cold/sniffle, let alone full-blown flu. So I can completely understand the kids who have asthma or other health complications - their little bodies already being challenged, but for the rest that are generally hale and hearty, I am not convinced ... not that I am not open to persuasion but just find the increase in vaccination requirements a bit worrying tbh.

Assume it would need to be every year to allow for the changing strains? Has there been an increase in infant mortality rates from flu-related incidents? S had the swine flu one when she was three, just before we moved up here because they blanket-vaccinated all kids aged three and under but I can't say I felt comfortable about it then.

Feel free to dissuade me of my concerns though

Another morning of ploughing away. Feel I can't take any more information in now on all the really techi. stuff as it really is seeping out the other side. So just some revision on different types of muscle contractions, planes of movement and muscle origins and insertions tonight, and some worksheets to finish tmrw and then that's me!!

Did a good 5.5 miler this morning first though, with the girl I'm going to be doing my mountain marathon with - boy is she gazelle-like over the rough stuff though, we didn't spend much time on proper trails for sure so I was puffing along behind but felt good anyway. Just love running round our forests, the terrain is utterly unique!

Edited: 30/10/2013 at 13:50
30/10/2013 at 14:03

i think the thing about vaccinations is herd immunity, cc. the fewer people contract it, the fewer people there are to pass it on to those who are very vulnerable. so even though it may not affect your child that badly, it may kill a child or adult who has a compromised immune system.

30/10/2013 at 14:18

Yes as CM says they are vaccinating children because 

they spread it the most and pass it on to the elderly in particular. 

If the children don't get it then there is very little of it to spread 

round the vulnerable and elderly people.

30/10/2013 at 14:58

I'm all for vaccines, and yes it will be every yr.

So had the inevitable call from the child minder.  I tried to sound surprised.  Her daughter had it mildly last wk, so now I know where he got it from.  Hubby's gone to get him, but it will only be a couple of hrs early.  Don't know what will happen about Fri.  Health protection agency website says there is no need to keep them away from school/nursery until all the blisters have gone as long as they are well, but at the end of the day it's her call.  The kids can apparently be contagious for several weeks or more even after the blisters have gone, so obviously you cant keep them off for weeks!

30/10/2013 at 17:22

I went to the pharmacy in Tesco for my flu jab, it was £9.  Bearing in mind I have to look after everyone here I would rather have the jab than flu!

Caro, hope Eric gets over it quickly and doesn't pass it on!

30/10/2013 at 17:31

I had the jab last year and I still had two hideous colds that absolutely knocked me sideways.

Well Caro, I guess you knew it was coming. Interesting it came from child minders child!!!  J had it when he was 9 months old, we were on holiday and clueless as to what it was until we got home and had a 'golden moment' when we realised - and mum came out with the most hideous mouthful of ulcers, my hands all peeled and felt pretty crap!

30/10/2013 at 20:35

CC you sound like my mother in law.    She insists she 'doesn't do flu' - as if that will keep it away.  I pointed out that by not having one she is putting my immune compromised on chemo father in law at risk but that still didn't persuade her!  And surely you don't need me to point out thaI the flu virus and cold virus are completely different things so a flu jab will never stop you from getting colds.  If someone invented a vaccine for colds they would be a rich man I reckon!

Edited: 30/10/2013 at 20:35
30/10/2013 at 21:09

now now, calm down!!! I do *do* flu, have had it three times properly in my life, and I knew it was flu because I absolutely couldn't move and it wiped me out completely, so I'm totally aware of the impact it will have on someone with compromised immunity - I have a good friend up here who's son is basically dying from cancer (when rather than if) so we are all super-careful not to share the love around!!

I was being flippant with the 'cold' comment, but I don't think I actually said I was disregarding everything you lot said, OR even disagreed with it ...

... and like Kinsey ... can't really afford to be wiped out on the floor when I'm mainly responsible for my little crowd and have classes to run on a weekly basis ... memories of hubby driving off to airport last year with me vomiting into a bucket from the bed with his parting shot of 'you'll be fine, it's not that bad' ...

anyway

30/10/2013 at 21:17

Oh god nightmare CC!  I've only had flu once and it really was horrid - stayed at home in bed on xmas eve when I was meant to be working, then got a phonecall begging me to come in as the only vet on was a new grad who needed help and stupidly I agreed.  Ruined my xmas that's for sure!

I am making absolutely certain none of us go near the in laws if we are so much as sniffling.  Fortunately we are not planned to go there this wk end as I would have put a stop to it, as I'm sure H,F and M on top of chemo would not be pleasant!  

Anyway, I was only joking when I mentioned you and M in L in same sentence - why is it old people are so stubborn!??  Honestly, if I get like that in old age someone please put me out of my misery!

30/10/2013 at 21:20

Eesh CC - don't you just love it when they do that!  I do have the odd moment when I think - crap, what if I have an accident and there are only the kids here and no adult likely to appear!  Best not to think like that though!!

I'm hoping I don't have a recurrence of losing my voice for months this winter - that wasn't ideal either.

Hubby stuck in Aberdeen, he's annoyed as his last meeting was cancelled so he could have come back tonight and now he's twiddling his thumbs.  I also get to pack up everything for our weekend away and I know I am going to forget stuff, just too tired at the mo.

30/10/2013 at 21:20

Hi ladies... funny to come back in here after 5+ years away and find many of the same ladies posting still. Anyway, trying to get back to running so I'm hoping it'll be ok to pop in from time to time and see what is going on.

Just been to the Gym and done some core and pelvic floor stuff, and a run planned for tomorrow. I'm doing Brass Monkey in Jan so need to get stuck in.

30/10/2013 at 21:31

Aren't you in Australia RHG?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.