Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

41,061 to 41,080 of 47,222 messages
14/05/2013 at 11:08

Thanks for all the positive comments, especially CC for not writing me off as over the hill just yet!  Caro, I think GFA is sub-3:50 for women over 40 (40-50 I think, need to check) but either way it doesn't matter because I missed out.  In some ways I'm glad that I won't be doing VLM next year though.  I can take my time and decide whether I want to do another spring marathon next year and face the horrors of winter training again so soon!

Haven't been to Gunpowder Mills but really should, it's only a short drive from where we are.  Must admit I wasn't sure how interesting it would be for Kit but from what you've said it sounds like a good day out.

I must have missed something as didn't realise your mum is poorly, JT.  Hope she is OK.

I'm sure Oven Pride does work but tbh I'd rather just get someone in to clean the thing!  Seeing as I have to work I may as well take some benefits from the money!

Tangly hair not a problem in this house - in fact it's hard to tell whether my hair or Kit's is the most baby-fine and dead straight!  I have problems injecting any 'oomph' into mine whatsoever; usually it just looks limp and flat.

Good news about your hubby, Hoggle - frustrating but it's obviously important that he enjoys what he does (at least a bit).  Having watched Masterchef a million times I would never, ever want to become a chef!  Good that M had such a lovely time on the farm too.

TTid, that sounds so incredibly stressful.  What will you do if you have to move within a week?  Can you find somewhere to rent in such a short space of time?  Good luck with it all.

14/05/2013 at 13:05

You're right Minks, didn't realise there was a separate age group for 40.  They have changed the 18-40 to 3.45, not sure if they changed the actual age bands as well, or just the times.  I should be getting something in the post in the next couple of wks confirming my place next yr after deferrring.  I'm so excited - not!  

I think Kit would really enjoy the gunpowder place.  

Right, bathroom cleaning....yawn!

14/05/2013 at 13:15

Yes, I'm just procrastinating about that very thing too, Caro!

I'll definitely take Kit to the Gunpowder Mills at some point, could be a good day  out for half term or the summer holidays ...

14/05/2013 at 13:32

Hearing you all talk about marathon training does absolutely nothing for making me want to run one. I have enjoyed the half maras I have done but think that is my limit. I managed to get really fit for my last few but that was before children. You ladies who still run well/competitively now with kids are amazing. 

Minks we live in an area full of vacation rental homes which are freeing up a bit now as the snow birds head back north so (I hope!) there should be a few to choose from. According to the web pages I have been on there are a few. As it's short term (I hope again!) we won't be too fussy. 

Typically the guy who works for us who is also a good friend and very practical, is away on holiday next week. Talk about rubbish timing.

Better sort out my boys. Max is watching 'Peter Pan Rabbit' and Oscar still asleep.

14/05/2013 at 21:32

Warning, this is a rant.

I have come to the conclusion that the only people in my whole family who try to accommodate others are me and Andy and my mum who does everything she can to help both my sister and me.

My niece has chickenpox.  So my sis asks what is best and I say I used a combo of pox clin whch was really good but I preferred to use virasoothe on Lou's lady bits.  So she buys virasoothe but refuses to fork out for both of them and then I get a text much later asking if pox clin is better than virasoothe and then when I said yes she says oh well I might not bother and just see if she improves a bit.  HA to her 2am trip to Asda. 

Anyway that's not what's bothering me.  My dad has never had chickenpox so when Lou got it (the day we got last baby's diagnosis of down's syndrome) my mum helped out by coming round for the morning I was going into hospital and then I sent Andy home in the afternoon - when everything ended up happening - to relieve her.  My sis doesn't worry about such niceties as a 71 year old man catching chickenpox oh no, she's got Carys going there tomorrow all day and then on Friday too when Louise will be there all afternoon.  Oh great.  Yes Lou's had it but I don't care, Friday is her day.  Now if sister's work were being awful about it then I could understand but they've set her up with home working from tonight so she doesn't need to worry!  But apparently she'll not be able to get anything done during the day if Carys is there so she needs mum to take her anyway.  ERM why did they bother?

BAH.

I continue...

14/05/2013 at 21:36

then there's Andy's side of the family.  New niece born 23 April by c section.  I first saw her last Monday 6 May.  Andy finally got to meet her last night.  And how far away do they stay?  Less than 5 mins walk.  But they didn't want any visitors.  At all.  Oh but they'll go and see her family and meet all the aunts and uncles last Sunday.  Even my MIL who actually had them stay with her for a year when my elder niece was born was not allowed to see her until she was over a week old.  What is that about?!  We basically had to beg to be allowed to meet her and hand over a gift?  It's not like we wanted a 3 course meal or anything or even a cup of tea. 

And as a total aside I bloody hate i tunes.  My iphone will not synch.  My i tunes apparently has nothing in it and the account keeps telling me I have the wrong password WHEN I DO NOT cos it works on the iphone.

14/05/2013 at 21:39

I have an exam on Friday.  Perhaps I'm a little stressed.  And this baby is kicking the cr@p  out of me all the time.  I'm fat, I'm cumbersome, I have a sore back, I feel like there is nowhere for baby to go and it's squashed to pieces in me, I've been constipated for days and my throat is burning in some weird way which I don't understand.   

SORRY!

Well done on the mara Minks!  It wasn't what you wanted I know but still a good time.    TT hope it all comes together!

14/05/2013 at 21:58

Oh EF you need a hug!!! And possibly some plates to smash!!!!

Grrr to the annoying family members - I would never expose an older parent who hadn't had CP. Its horrible in adults! I'm guessing your mum would never say no to them either. How many weeks are you now? As for the sore throat - probably ice cream is the only solution there!!!

Just spent ages on the phone with out internet provider trying to get wireless back up and running. To his credit he was very patient and got it sorted but has meant I have done no work yet and am now thoroughly distracted!!

14/05/2013 at 22:02

Great rant EF!  I can't imagine doing exams now.  Did more than my fair share of them getting my accountant qualification.  Never again!  Remind me, when are you due? 

That's really odd, not wanting any visitors at all.  Maybe I'm a bit odd or maybe it's because we don't have family here, but I would have welcomed any visitors with open arms.  Mind you we went pretty much straight from the hospital to the restaurant the day we brought Oscar home and there was a jazz band playing too!

Hope your sore throat doesn't come to anything.

14/05/2013 at 22:06

Oh and I'm going to rant now too, we are spending a bl00dy fortune on marketing at the moment for our company and our blinking web page is down, grr.  I only went on to check it because we discovered last week that all of the 'contact us' forms that potential customers have completed for the last 2 years have been going into a black hole and not being forwarded to us.  We must look like such a bunch of amateurs.  The woman who is supposed to manage all that is an external consultant and she is a nightmare, almost 100% teflon and won't let any blame stick to her.

14/05/2013 at 22:12

hmm. It turned into no visitors on our side of the family which really peed me off. 

I'm 28+4 now. Due 2/8. Ages!! I'm feeling humungous. 

Throat is weird, not painful juvira burning sensation like you can sometimes get from taking a tablet and the coating burns. 

Didn't help that Loulou was in tears tonight as her friend is breaking her heart and hurting her feelings apparently. I'm not sure how much of the tale of woe was true and how much invented. Argh. 

14/05/2013 at 22:12

Oh TT that's shocking re website! 

14/05/2013 at 22:13

Have to say, that is a fantastic rant - but totally called for ((())). Is amazing how totally selfish people can be, as you say, even within own families. One of my very oldest friends has a family exactly like that and i frequently wonder how she is related to the other members of the family!!!  i-tunes - HATE it, currently won't download to my i-pod for some unbeknown reason.  Boo to the sore throat you poor love too. Hope baby goes to sleep and gives you some rest.

TTid - that sounds very stressful for you at the moment but fingers crossed it will all fall into place.

Hoggle - good news re hubby and the retraining etc. I think considering the big move you are all doing fantastically, no small undertaking all of that really.

Minks - agree with your comments entirely re Masterchef and being a chef!! I love experimenting in the kitchen when I have the time etc but no way as a job.

Funny old weather here, really windy all day with sunshine and heavy showers, now wind has dropped but it's cold and rainy

10 miles in forest done, quads a bit mashed from yesterday so nice easy pace. Have been absolutely starving for the last two days though, running out of menu options!!

Registered with dentist today after not being for way too long, can only get private appt for next week... sigh ... but cannot wait until July for an NHS appt ... I have a tooth that's developed a jaggedy edge under a filling and is turning grey, so that does not bode well. And I am petrified of dentists.

Long run tomorrow - kids have INSET days Thur and Fri so need to get it out the way, slow pace it will be as I feel pretty shattered at the mo.

14/05/2013 at 22:14

Juvira? Just a ..... Stupid blimmin I phones. 

14/05/2013 at 22:16

Oh cc good luck with dentist! 

14/05/2013 at 22:17

did wonder about Juvira!!!

TT - that's outrageous, shocking, I'd be seriously

14/05/2013 at 22:18

I think P1 girls can be the worst EF for heartbreaking dramatics!!

14/05/2013 at 22:27

Don't have the emotional energy left to be as angry as I would normally be.  Also just spent the afternoon writing emails to all of the missed enquiries, basically 'I'm sorry we are such spastics that we have not responded to your web site enquiry for anything up to 18 months, but we are not a bunch of morons really'.  Now have to add at the bottom 'oh yes our web page is f$%^ed again, oops!'

14/05/2013 at 22:28

August EF, will be here before you know it!  Did you ever blab about what make and model you are having or is it still secret squirrel?  Although we all know it's another girl

14/05/2013 at 22:29

EF you blo*dy well tell your sister and mother that your niece should not go there!   An elderly semi retguard life guard at our pool caught it from his grandson who used to swim with M and he was really ill!!  There is obviously a chance that your dad has had it without knowing it (like me) but still it's not worth the risk!  

Good luck with the exam.  I am very glad that little one is kicking the hell out of you

TT hope it all slots into place re the house move, land purchase etc.

yes odd not wanting your own brother's family to come and meet your new baby.  Just think......in a few months time you can do the same thing-or at least invite Andy's brother over for a sneak preview but not the wife.

work tomorrow and I'm I'll. caught the cough that the two darlings have had for he past week.  Oh joy

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.