Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

41,141 to 41,160 of 46,363 messages
08/12/2013 at 21:28

For the past 3 mornings I have been out the door and running before 7.30am- what the hell is wrong with me? I must have Lotteitis.......

08/12/2013 at 21:35

I would rather go out at 9pm!!! First proper head torch run of the season for me tonight - worrying as it was only 4pm and already dark ... I was ably fuelled by several glasses of gluhwein I'd had round the neighbours earlier in the afternoon - probably not the best prep for a run on the coastal path in the dark

Caro - that is worryingly Lotte-esque!!! Sometimes it just has to be done though ...

08/12/2013 at 22:10

TT - that is so tough for your friend. At least by you being in a good place right now, you have the mental strength and resources to help support your friend.

Dark at 4pm CC - YUCK!!!!! I really really don't miss that! And I have to say having had plenty of both hot and cold Christmas's I LOVE LOVE a hot Christmas!! The last 2 especially have been amazing - all 3 meals outside, kids can run round outside all day. But I do love the lead up to Christmas in the UK - Christmas lights in NZ in towns are pretty naff and its not dark enough to appreciate them much.

09/12/2013 at 20:17

Ooh, have always fancied a hot Christmas. Maybe one year. 4pm darkness is definitely not the way to go. I suffer a bit with SAD type symptoms so always make sure I have at least half an hour outside in the daylight. This involved a relatively brisk walk with the pram today . Quite chuffed I managed to get out my own! Ben is back at work today so it our first big test. Not feeling too bad, although young lady did decide to do her mad cluster feeding session this morning, so was pretty wiped out by lunch (which was a bowl of porridge, eaten one-handed  - better than nothing, I guess!). Hopefully this means she will sleep well tonight?! She was weighed again today and has gained 11oz in 6 days  so I must be doing something right. Touch wood, the bf is going really well and I am actually enjoying it this time. 

Sorry if none of that makes sense. Sleep deprivation!!! Well, she isn't bad, but I do like a good 9 hours. Hmm, may be a while before that happens all in one go again!

09/12/2013 at 22:29

Vixo - can you PM me on here? I have rather rashly deactivated my FB account. Long story and it makes no sense but I think it is due to sleep deprivation and completely loopy dreams which are caused by the ad's. Anyway all your details for this weekend are on my FB. And I now can't log onto it! 

09/12/2013 at 22:42
I can still find you on Facebook?! I think I've sent a message through here - hard to tell if it's worked(!) - but let me know if you don't get it! Hope you're feeling ok. Looking forward to seeing you on Friday.

Well done Tatty, sounds like it's all going really well!
09/12/2013 at 23:12

Thanks Vixo. Have mailed you. Weird you can find me. my acct is def deactivated. i am going to try and sleep now but already dreading the mental dreams. These anti-d's had better be worth it in the long run. It is hell at the moment

09/12/2013 at 23:32

Oh CM (()) hope you get SOME sleep at least, sleep deprivation is utter HELL ((()))

10/12/2013 at 11:21

(((CM)))

10/12/2013 at 11:25

more mental dreams last night. i gave birth to a baby which could already sit up, had a full set of teeth and had the pincer grip. it was a girl called Sam but everyone kept calling her 'he' and no-one believed that it was a girl. then it got even weirder and there was a rugby match and i lost Sam and there was lots of running / shouting / screaming etc. then i woke up.

i was so wiped out this morning and i ended up losing it with E because she left a book on the floor right in front of the sink where i was washing up. i asked her to move it but she wouldn't. she said there was nowhere else to put it. i got cross and insisted she moved it; she refused and shouted at me, so i ended up kicking the book across the kitchen, which made her scream and me cry.  i am so fed up of feeling like this. i just want to feel normal and in control of things.

10/12/2013 at 11:44

Oh CM (()) how are you today?

Haha Caro, keep up the Lotteitis!

TattyB you need to post up some piccies of your little lady on our FB page. I miss those newborn baby days... think I am broody... but no way would I go back there in reality!

Pitch black here by 4pm. Today our sunrise was 08:56 and sunset 14:58. But some days it is really hardly what you would call daylight. Still, not long until the shortest day and then its all improvement from there!

Good news... I got into the West Highland Way Race, woohoo. That's 95 miles in June! Bad news... I have an unhappy knee Same old injury I am prone too, outer edge just below knee on left but normally an easy week after a race sorts it. But it seems to be getting worse, tried a couple of miles yesterday but was owchy. So I have been hitting the bike - road bike, mtb and turbo. Trying not to be annoyed and impatient and I know it is only just over a week since I ran 100 miles blah blah blah but seriously my sanity is starting to wobble!

MAnaged to escape jury duty yesterday. They said the case would last at least a week, could run over into next week. I pleaded to be excused from serving, don't think they were very happy but really do they know how much I have on this week and what a nightmare it would be to arrange the logistics for 6 kids in the pre Christmas madness that has engulfed us!

Kinsey, you just need to make the time and sometimes be inventive about it. Obviously hard when hubbys work away or long hours and I do most of my stuff at Lotte oclock (!) My hubby is very supportive on the days I take time away to do long runs etc. To be honest I never ran until I had 4 kids and Reece was the youngest age 1, I never did anything for myself, they always wanted me and he was a very hands off dad. Now he has had to get on with it and he has a better relationship with the kids for it. Hahah that's what I tell myself anyway when I feel guilty!

10/12/2013 at 11:45

x post OMG CM that is weird dreams indeed. Wish I could offer you helpful advice xx

10/12/2013 at 12:02

CM Have you ever read any of Sri Chinmoys teachings. I hesitate to say anything because I realise you have a serious issue with depression and I don't want you to think that I am belittling that in anyway. but I found it really struck a chord with me. Maybe a bit dippy hippy for you!  I even try to meditate every day! http://www.srichinmoybio.co.uk/blog/inner-peace/seven-simple-steps-to-inner-peace/

10/12/2013 at 13:27

blimey, lotte - where do you find the time to meditate?? i must admit, i haven't ever read any of his teachings. it's not the sort of thing i really 'get'. reading through it, i sort of understand the point, but i'm not sure how you actually DO anything of that stuff. i don't feel like i have sufficient control of my mind to allow me to do it.

i think the basis of my depression is probably the fact that i haven't actually dealt with all the stuff from childhood or any of the stuff to do with my parents. i have distanced myself from it, but i haven't really dealt with it. so there is still so much negativity in my thought processes. someone said to me recently that i'm still letting my parents win by failing to sort myself out. even though they aren't acting out on me anymore and there is distance, i'm still living in the shadow that it all cast. but how the hell do you deal with it? i've had CBT and other therapies and none of it seems to have made a difference. and reading through the Sri Chinmoy teaching, i have no idea how it would really make a difference to me - how can you just change the way you think / clear your mind etc? i have tried before to do that and i just can't.

10/12/2013 at 13:50

I go through phases of meditating then give up again!  I just try whenever I am going through down phases to remember how short life is and that whatever it is that is making me unhappy is not worth it.  But I know that when I was on anti d's (citalopram and the other one you were on too I think CM) that I wouldn't have been able to think like that.  I didn't want to be happy, didn't think I deserved it.  But that was pre Ian and pre kids fortunately.  I don't remember vivid dreams but the insomnia was awful.

I had a very vivid dream the other night that one of my uni friends had killed himself and I was at the funeral.  I almost e mailed him the next day to ask if he was ok but then thought better of it!

Did another Lotte o'clock this morning.  I generally think I am needing less sleep these days so it's not that hard to get up, and actually it didn't feel cold this morning even though it was thick fog and 2C.  Have got work xmas dinner fri night so the test will be whether I make park run on Sat.......

Carol singing tonight on  the wrong side of town so think I am going to be tired later and find it hard to get up for work tomorrow!

10/12/2013 at 18:57

My husband started meditating (or mindfulness) when he got so stressed after he had to do the closedown for his team/office up here a few years back ... he says it's also what got him through having to do another site closure less than six months after the last one. He's someone I would never have expected to go down that route, but it certainly beats his previous technique (a bottle of wine a night which got him through the months following his mothers death!).  I have dabbled in it a little but am cr*p at sticking to it. However, I guess I kind of get in that mind state when I do my long runs - friends often ask me what I think about (given I rarely listen to music on them) and I couldn't tell you where my mind was tbh!! Off to check out that site though Lotte.  I do find it interesting.

Re your knee, sounds fairly similar to what I had after the Lakeland ultra in Sept tbh (and also after a couple of other ones). Mine took about three weeks to abate properly, and that was only after serious rollering/ball massage sessions on ALL aspects of the quads, the IT band and in particular the TFL.  Mine felt it got worse before it suddenly improved. PLEASE let your body recover!!!! Just focus on the fact you want to hit your training fully refreshed and raring to go - rather than not letting body and mind recover properly. You've got so many fantastic goals ahead it would be a shame not to be on full form to get stuck in!!! Well done on WHW btw, I'll confess I had a sneaky look after one of the lasses on the Scottish forum said she'd got a place.  So do you have a strategy in place - crew etc??  Not sure of logistics at all, but am willing to help if I can escape the domestic stuff here ...

Caro - I definitely need less sleep than I used to, I am just so cr*p at going to bed early as there is no one here to nag/chase me. I'm always in bed earlier at the weekends. I probably have about 6 hours at best, providing I'm not having hormonal moments that completely bugger up the sleep patterns!!

Lotte - like you, some days it feels like it really doesn't get light. Sun is kind of rising as I drive up to school and it's nearly dark by the time I get back in afternoon from school run. Today the sun did shine while I was on run, but was so low in the sky it felt like dusk ... at 1pm ... nearly the shortest day though!!

Yes, we definitely need some baba pictures Tatty, I am not remotely broody I still love baby pictures ...

Proper long run for me today - ie no adventures with bogs, big hills, fallen trees or snow; and ran on proper trail rather than animal tracks!! So 16.5 miles on the Dava Way - disused railway. Was hard going on outward leg as straight into a strong southwesterly and it's a subtle uphill all the way; but reaped the benefits on the way back bit time  ... all the outward leg splits were 9.1, 9.2mm all the return leg ones were 8.2/8.3 with a 7.5mm at one point!!! Legs felt OK actually.

Hope you can get out of bed in the morning Caro!

10/12/2013 at 19:02

Lotte -  I also was taking Arnica. Found this article interesting regarding sports injuries and homeopathy ... http://www.homeopathytoday.org/2011/03/secrets-of-a-fitness-expert-who-discovered-homeopathy/

10/12/2013 at 20:45

Can I just say HUSBANDS    

10/12/2013 at 20:51

Oh dear EF! Now I am dying to know what he's done!

Big hugs CM, those dreams sound awful. I hope things settle soon for you xxx

10/12/2013 at 22:16

EF - please do share, you KNOW we will sympathise!!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.