Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

41,601 to 41,620 of 43,609 messages
PG3
02/10/2014 at 08:50

Get that credit card out Camlo.  I remember when i entered Ironman Switzerland (my first), i needed a glass of wine before and after, i just stared at the screen feeling scared.

Am feeling ok now so going to head to the gym today if i can get a creche place.  Provided I feel ok, i will run on Sunday at Bournemouth.  I dont seem to having much look in getting a Royal parks place and i hate wasting entry fees.  My husband has pulled out as he has a chesty cough thats been around for weeks, and maybe also the fact that he's done about 1 run in the last 6 months!

I couldnt imagine running with my 2 and they are 3 and 6 months! Chynah, you are a stronger woman than me!

The house drama goes on.  People above us in the chain are dragging their feet and saying that they will probably be ready to move mid to late Jan, 4 months after the offer was accepted.  Our buyer wants to be in by xmas and so do we.  Off to look at some more houses today.  I am going to go and look at Barnet, anyone know anything about it?  I've only been there once.  Looks like me and the baby boy will be on the northern line for almost the entire line (I live in Tooting, 4 stops up from the south end). Nice day out!

02/10/2014 at 13:05

5.5 mile buggy run done this morning, in the sun.  Saw not one but 2 herons, as well as lots of ducks, moorhens, boats, dogs, trains, buses........Eric was in his element

02/10/2014 at 13:11

Pip, I know Barnet reasonably well as I used to live close by and a lot of my long runs took me there.  I'm not far away now either.  My best friend also still lives there.  It's very nice - decent shopping area, several restaurants, cafes and bars, a short distance from some lovely green spaces such as Trent Park, Aldenham Country Park and Hadley Wood/Common.  Served by the Northern Line (New Barnet has a rail link directly into Kings Cross/Moorgate too, but is not as nice as High Barnet).  Why is moving house so unbelievably stressful and takes so long???

Lotte, would you be disciplined enough to not race at maximum effort?  If yes, then why not?  But if you know you'd get the competitive bit between your teeth then I'd keep my eye on the bigger picture and not do it.  But I know what you mean about wanting to do it because you can - especially as for you racing involves so many arrangements normally!  That's funny about turning 40 - I felt the same about turning 45; the only good part about it is starting to win in my age category!  Sad it's taken all this time!

Caro, unfortunately I can't do Jill Oliver this year.  We're going to my brother's that Sunday - it was the only one we could all make.  Disappointed as I did fancy it, being so local, and wanted to run it with you!  Maybe next year?

Fingers crossed for the knee CC.

Edited: 02/10/2014 at 13:12
02/10/2014 at 16:04

oh dear. just interviewed my deputy for a position on the next grade up to take over the management of 2 key processes for which i'm responsible plus staff management. he was the only candidate. his interview was rubbish.  this means my team remains unmanageable (as I have 26 direct reports and the idea was that he would take some). plus I now have a deputy who won't be talking to me once I tell him he hasn't got the job.

it never rains, does it?

02/10/2014 at 21:13

Boo to speeding tickets, laid back house sellers, and pesky family visits getting in the way of races! 

Yippee to nice views with Eric and winning age cats.

CM - do you actually think the guy could do the job and was just nervous/ underprepared. If you had the chance to speak to them about where they went wrong do you think they could step it up? Rubbish if not and they are miffed! 

Entered the ironman so no turning back now, hubby stropped off down the garden moaning about me training all the time and the negative impact it will have but then he came back and said he would support me 100% 

02/10/2014 at 21:14

Oh and forgot to say the pesky tooth fairy forgot to come again!!! Tom not impressed! 

02/10/2014 at 22:27

Oh naughty tooth fairy!

CM - although short term pain of strop from not being appointed, appointing the wrong person to the role would be so so much worse in the long run. Sounds like you are making all the right decisions. Interesting that he was only applicant - what is their recruitment process like?

Exciting about ironman entry Camlo!!

I'm so impressed, my neighbour who is in her 60's and while reasonably small on top and legs has always had a very disproportionately wide bottom took up walking and now has progressed to running - she looks amazing!! She's now running most days for first time in her life - shows anyone can do it (must remember this myself when I try and drag my post baby body round next year!

Hideous weather today - missing the sunshine of earlier in the week. After being really good al week with not buying sweets I have failed badly yesterday when hubby bought home sweets and biscuits and even more so this morning while waiting for bumper to be replaced on car when the only thing in the cafe that tempted me was a ridiculously huge choc caramel slice - bleurgghh! What was that someone said about sugar being addictive...........?!!

03/10/2014 at 08:26

yum yum choc caramel slice...

no, my deputy really isn't up to the job. he's the one who didn't talk to me for a week after I laid down the law about him completing the end of year reviews (which he did when he was on a temporary promotion to the next grade to cover for my post while I was being recruited).

he's a nice bloke. but quite stroppy and very ineffective unless he has a ginormous rocket up his 4rse. he was the only candidate because it was opened up internally within a pool of people within our IT department. but there is no budget to recruit an external candidate so if he doesn't get it (looks like he won't as my boss agreed too that he really wasn't good), then i'm back to square one as there is no way I can recruit anyone else.

N says I just need to stop caring. but when I know what I COULD do if only I had enough time, it makes it hard for me not to try my best.

Edited: 03/10/2014 at 08:26
03/10/2014 at 15:34

That's a shame Minks, never mind.

CM, I feel for you, but don't really understand much of it!  I am so glad I don't have a normal job.  Just want to get back to my little, insignificant 2 day a week job.......

Had physio again this morning, arm much improved, range of movement almost normal, cording (lymphatic scar tissue post op) has almost gone.  Then had a mad rush to get home, showered and changed (went to physio on bike as only way it would work) in time to get into central london for my oncology appt.  Kept waiting over an hr, but saw the consultant this time.   She agreed that I am not having a good time with it and am having too many toxic effects.  She suggested lowering the dose, but I was reluctant to do that as what if it came back in 10 years time?  I would then wonder if that had been a bad decision.  So we are sticking with the same dose and giving me every single anti emetic known to man, and I am going to try my absolute best to take all the many many drugs, mouth washes, laxatives etc etc (not easy when feeling so poo) exactly as prescribed and see how I go.  If it's still as bad then the dose will be lowered for the last 2.

3 of my uni flat maes are currently on the train from Glasgow to come and see me  Having dinner at a turkish place in islington tonight, after a few drinkies, then have tea booked at the british museum tomorrow.  Fun fun fun!  

Have a nice wk ends everyone.

03/10/2014 at 15:35

Oh I came off my bike today for the first time, on loose gravel.  Have large bruise on leg and sliced skin off hand.  Fortunately jacket saved my arm, and didn't end up damaged in any way.

03/10/2014 at 16:32

eek caro. glad you aren't injured!

well, my deputy took the news he hasn't got the job badly. very badly. he cried. this is a man in his 50s... not good! he was very angry with me two and threw lots of very curt statements at me before he stormed out. this will be fun to manage next week, as he sulks at the best of times...

03/10/2014 at 17:01

Def not the man for the job!

03/10/2014 at 17:25

Crikey CM.  Feel sorry for the bloke, but what can you do.  Even he must realise his attitude would be a problem in the first place when looking to get a new job!!  Although he probably doesn't think he's got an attitude, being a man and all that!

Caro - glad bike accident not too bad!  Sounds like you have a fun weekend planned!

Its my brothers wedding tomorrow, really looking forward to it.  Martha is a bridesmaid.  Probably be a bit of hanging around and hoping the kids can cope with a long day and late bedtime, either that or we will just leave early!

04/10/2014 at 08:14

Oh poop Caro, hope grazes arent too sore. 

Good luck for wedding Kinsey! 

CM - is he for real, goodness sake! 

Late night decision to drive to Bath last night so we are already here for my sis in laws wedding tomorrow then we fly to gran canaria on Monday! YIPPEEEE! I may not be on here for a while And cant post on fb as school think kids are 'ill'. 

PG3
04/10/2014 at 14:16

Camlo and Kinsey - hope you both have great weddings.  Camlo - happy holidays.  Dont let the kids get too tanned on holiday!

CM - sounds like that guy is going to sulk and try and make life difficult for you.  Just what you need.  He should realise that his attitude is most of the issue, but he wont.

Caro - hope you are ok after your bike accident.  I hope you have a great time with your friends.  You deserve some fun after all you are going through.

Camlo - I run and still have a disproportionately large bottom!

I managed to get a place for Royal parks next week - hooray. I went and did Wimbledon park run this morning and pulled out half way round.  I was getting slower and slower and couldnt hold my normal pace and I was worried I was still not 100%.  On reflection, i think i am fine but have just lost some speed and fitness after 2 weeks of being ill and i should have just manned up and carried on.  I will head out for a gentle 6 miler tomorrow.  

05/10/2014 at 21:07
Camlo, hope your wedding was good too!

My brothers was lovely, the kids had a fab time and I only had one glass of fizz so cracked off a decent hilly 5 miles this morning too. Grabbing the decent weather before it leaves us!

Pip good luck for the royal parks. I should really enter a race, need a target to keep me motivated!
06/10/2014 at 07:30

OMG I had the best wedding ever. We really looked glammed up and they had a beautiful ceremony in the baths by torchlight. The flames flickering on the water which were slightly steaming looked amazing! Food was fab and of course plenty of fizz which i did not limit to one glass...... Boys danced until midnight and i was so proud of them. Archie even got the staff dancing with him! 

Not really slept as fretting about getting away this morning, need to clear our apartment and get across to Bristol airport for a lunchtime flight.... Yay! 

06/10/2014 at 08:46

Have a great trip Camlo. Lol at not bringing them back with sun tans. Wedding sounds amazing. 

PG, hope you're feeling fully better soon.Your illness has really dragged on. 

Had a lovely weekend. One of Mr TT's old university buddies stayed with us with his wife and 5 month old son. They caught lots of fish and blue crabs from our garden. Fabulous. 

I thought I would get a good night tonight as Fay went from about 8pm to 5am last night. Fed her at about 10 tonight and hoped sheought make it to 7 but was awake and grunting at 3

06/10/2014 at 12:52

OMG CM your job sounds like a nightmare (not to mention the staff!)

Hope you're not to sore after your fall Caro.

TT I am so jealous of your beautiful new house - sounds idyllic!

As kids teeth seem to be a shared topic on here can anyone with experience advise!  N has now lost his 2 bottom teeth and I am quite concerned that the adult teeth are coming through very crooked - is this normal or would you take him to the dentist (He's 5)?

Brilliant running everyone (as usual!)  I pulled out of Bournemouth at the weekend as lack of training and tight hamstring meant it was really unrealistic anyway.  Maybe look at a spring Marathon instead (Didn't get in London) - quite fancy a trail one.  Now both kids in school should have a few more training opportunities.

06/10/2014 at 14:05

Chynah I take mine to the dentist every 6m anyway for check ups.  If you have one due in a couple of months then maybe wait till then, if not then you may as well take him - it's free after all!  I doubt they'll be able to do anything anyway, but worth having a discussion and finding out whether they're likely to remain that way or straighten up.  We need a forum dentist!  Anyone lurking?? 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.