Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

41,741 to 41,760 of 45,623 messages
25/01/2014 at 08:15

Argh. Like Caro wante a quick read but there's masses here and all interesting! About to try and go for my first ever park run. So excited! Is that really sad?! 

25/01/2014 at 10:15
Brookie - nope not sad. I did one this morning too. Lovely and muddy. Shoelace came undone tho so that is my excuse for rubbish time. I run without watch these days so don't know what I ran but imagine it won't be good! Still better than if I had stayed in bed tho lol
25/01/2014 at 10:19

So how was it Brookie??

After a disastrous last 2 parkruns (for me anyway!) I got a PB today and 1st lady, so phew, I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me!  Now only 20 seconds to knock off for the elusive sub 20......if only it was that easy.  Chest felt awful after, so tight, lots of coughing, pounding headache for a couple of mins.  Wonderful Drs called me on Thurs to say the spirometry machine was bust so I needed to reschedule, so now instead of being able to go in peace with no kids, I will have to bring both of them with me!  I can see that working.........i pad, peppa pig and threats of violence if they don't behave!  My blue inhaler has run out but I dont want to get another incase Dr changes it, so I have been using Erics.......I guess I should get him another one really.  Well at least his prescriptions are free!

25/01/2014 at 10:48

Loved it loved it! Just bf-ing so will post properly in a bit. Not fast bit great fun! 

25/01/2014 at 12:20

Also did 4 miles this morning.  Day 25 of no booze.  Why am I not feeling slightly fitter!!

JT - oh no, what are you going to do about breast pads?  Hope you can find something that doesn't irritate or that it calms down.

Just been for a haircut as well so have had a decent amount of child free time so far today.  Also just got some fabric samples in post from John Lewis as I am going to need curtains for new house if it all goes through ok!

25/01/2014 at 13:25

haven't read back yet but will do now whilst kids are asleep.  I loved my park run this morning.  Everyone seemed very friendly and it was fun to run with so many other people.  No idea what time I did as I saw Mr B and kids at the end as they had arrived as I finished so I forgot to stop my garmin.  Think it was about 27-28 mins tho so pretty slow really.  I know I was 8.30 m/m at one point but was probably slower at the start whilst I settled into it.  A long way to go to reach your heady heights Caro!  Fastest girl on this park run apparently ran 17 something.  Not today though.  I am sure you will go sub-20 Carol.

Sounds like you both enjoyed yours CM and Caro.  LOL to day 25 of no booze Kinsey.  I must be on that too - not by design, just cos I haven't been out and haven't really felt like drinking on my own in the evening and hubby has been working v late recently.

Hurray to child free haircuts and new curtains (and hopefully new house too!) Off to read back now.  

CC - really interested in the FIRSt schedule thing - and especially that you got a PB after following it.  Realistically, 3 runs a week is all I'm gonna get before Berlin so I need to use them wisely.  I admit to being a lazy runner though and do far too many "junk miles" in training rather than intervals or speed work.  So I might find it a bit of a kick up the ar*e!  Is there a book about it or did you get all the info online?  I vaguely remember RW doing a feature on it - in fact there might even be a downloadable training programme on the site......

Off to read back properly now  - can you tell I'm on computer and not phone? Talking too much.....!

25/01/2014 at 13:34

Brookie- I bought the book, run less run faster about the first schedule. Good read.

well done on all the park running! I did 7 miles before my bladder forced me home!

25/01/2014 at 13:41

Yeay well done Brookie !  And Caro and CM!  Does your chest feel tight while you're running Caro, or just afterwards?  Doesn't sound nice.

Yep clamming here for me too!  I saw the physio again yesterday and she's given me lunges to do as well, and says I can still do Sheffield half but just not to do more than about 5 miles at a time at the moment.  I'm not sure if I can fit in more than one 5 mile run in a week though...might have to be a Friday morning.  My hip really aches today, not sure if it's the pounding she gave my ITB (ouch) or possibly walking up to the restaurant and back last night in heels??!

Feeling a bit rough this morning, had a fun meal out with the PTA and was persuaded by Sophie's teacher (the Chair) to have another ("how often do you get to go out?") so I am fully blaming her for my comatose state today!  Couldn't even get myself out of bed to take Sophie swimming, even though it was my turn.  Bad Mummy...!  I definitely needed a good night out with some girls though - one of the first topics of conversation was used teabag post-baby boobs .

Long time ago now, but bedtime here is relatively short although when I put Sophie to bed it always seems to take ages, mostly because I start tidying her room or putting clothes away while I'm in there!  She reads to us (sometimes reluctantly with me!) then we read a library book to her.  I used to read her 2 stories if the first one was short, but now she reads to us there's no time for that!  We're usually done by 7.30pm, then she plays in her room for a bit, depending on how tired she is, or I think she is!  Nicky is very quick, just a story, say night night to Sophie and he goes to bed.

Hate being hungover though, it's such a waste of a weekend!  If only I'd stopped a pint earlier...

25/01/2014 at 13:45

LOL to bladder issues.  The run today (especially sprinting to the finish) reminded me to work on my pelvic floor.  I don't know if any of you remember the grievous injury I received to my derriere, caused by a pantyliner in the Edinburgh marathon a couple years ago.......not to be repeated.......

Bedtimes - (I know I know, it's pages back!) interesting reading.  Like you CM, I could never say no to bedtime stories.  We always read several but I try to keep bedtime routine to no more than 45 mins.  I'd cut down on bath time rather than miss stories though.  I'm the same in that I love reading to E and I and they won't want it forever.....all that said though, if lights aren't out by 7.30 isn I get a bit angsty.  I need my evenings too!

No idea about Skylander etc - i'm sure it will come.

Went to RAF Museum in Hendon yday.  I'm not big into that kind of thing but as a place to take a toddler, it was AMAZING!  Big hangers, no means of escape, nothing he could break.....huge cafe with decent food and all inside.  and biggest bonus? It's free entry! Parking was only £3.50 for the day which for London is a total bargain.

Off to look up the book now Sonya.  Did it improve your times? 7 miles sounds like a Sunday run to me, not an easy Saturday one!

Great to hear from you Minks - another super speedy one obviously! Well done on 10 miler.  Lotte - sounds like you have lots of cool races planned but I have NO idea how you do it all when you sometimes have to battle crazy weather as well.  Respect.

Ditto to CC and TT on that note.  Jealous of the Dirty 30 - looked it up and looks fun but probably a bit too far away for me to reasonably contemplate.

Right, kids still sleeping so best go do some jobs.

25/01/2014 at 13:49

LOL to hangover JG but great that you had a good night. 

Meant to say earlier JT - bummer about allergy to breast pads.  Have you tried the reusable ones? Have to say, they were/are useless for me as I just leaked through (TMI - sorry).  Could you kind of fashion some out of cotton wool and er.....some cotton or something?!  That sounds pretty painful though. Hope you get it sorted.

And hope Dr helps Fraser with his tummy too EF and congrats on solicitor-advocate! Very very impressed.   

Good luck with tests Caro - hope they help your chest - your times are even more impressive considering!

25/01/2014 at 13:59

Jt I also get irritation from breast pads. Lansinoh ones cause me the least bother. 

Well done park runners and indeed all runners. A wee 5 miler today thankfully before the heavens opened! 

Cheers for the congrats.  It's good to know that I can do no more and there are definitely no more exams ever!

25/01/2014 at 14:04

run less run faster book is fab. Get the second edition.  I did FIRST schedules too and liked them.  Must put in a bit of effort for my half in March or I can see me canning it. 

Lou off to her cousin's house now. Bliss. 

Fraser seems a bit better. Poos more solid. Tho I did not appreciate three gurns overnight. It seems to be a Friday night habit! 

25/01/2014 at 15:03

only skimming as about to get kids out on bikes - but I think FIRST is fantastic for time-stretched-getting back into it runners ... I know the likes of MM etc were not overly enthused by them but MM is a fantastic high-mileage hard worker, at the time I was following FIRST there was no way I could handle higher mileage without my body falling apart. I was also guilty of being lazy in what I did and it gave me a kick up the backside.  As and when I had a bit of extra spare time then I added in an extra session but that would be a lazy easy one. Also allows for decent cross-training which will help combat potential injury ... perfect for bfeeding mums with relaxin still kicking around in the body and less-than-perfect core strength?

25/01/2014 at 15:15
Cc - not sure FIRST would work for me as I get stressed by trying to follow particular schedules and also find running "quality" sessions breaks me. I think precisely because my core is crap!
25/01/2014 at 18:27

Which one did you do Brookie?

We have been to the RAF museum, it is definitely worth a visit.  Planning to go to the Horniman museum tomorrow.  Bit of a trek south of the river, 2 tubes and a train, plus it's going to be pouring, but we have been meaning to go for ages so tomorrow is as good a day as any.  Need to run 5 miles first though.......

I can't really work out what's going on with my asthma JG to be honest.  I mean it's obviously exercise induced (so you could say self inflicted!) but I never used to really tell the difference when I took my inhaler or forgot before a run.  But now I really can and 2 wks ago I forgot and ran almost a whole minute slower than today. (slowest PR time for me in a couple of yrs!)  Last week I brought it with me and took it before running, but I'd already cycled 3 miles there so presumably my airways were already feeling the effects of that before I started running, and I only just scraped in under 21 mins.  Today I stole Eric's and took it before I left home.  The other thing I did was make a conscious effort to really drink lots of water at work yesterday, because when I am running my saliva is really thick (sorry TMI I know!) and so I was wondering if that was due to dehydration.  Plus I got up earlier today, ate toast rather than cereal and ran a mile as a warm up before PR as my schedule said to run 4 miles today.  I also credit todays PB to Mo Farah's autobiography that I was avidly reading on the way home yesterday - he was talking about his coaching by Alberto Salazaar and how he told Mo to run like a sprinter in the last couple of hundred metres, not like a distance runner - ie short quick steps not long strides, so as I came round the last bend today I really sprinted and took little steps as I knew I was close to my PB.  

I'm amazed I got one actually and ran so fast as there really wasn't any other competition this morning.  I'd sussed out at the start that I didn't recognise any of the faster women there, so thought I was in with a chance of 1st lady, but normally when the competition isnt there I coast a bit as I know I can get 1st lady without really trying.  But I guess my heart and brain were in the right place this morning and it all clicked.  Who knows

My dad is here so hubby and I are out for a thai meal later

Well done for getting out there too CM.  I think I am going to treat myself to one of those plastic, laminated barcodes, to replace my crumpled paper one.  I feel it's about time!  

I used washable or disposable breast pads no problem.....didn't know you could be allergic to them!

Edited: 25/01/2014 at 18:29
25/01/2014 at 22:33

Horniman museum ( if you can get past the hilarious name!) is good too. Our friends live next door to it so we have been a few times. It's nice in the summer too as the gardens are lovely and big. 

I did the Abingdon park run - my new local one post movIng house. Which one do u do? And yours CM? the start is just over 3 miles away so when weather better and i am fitter I hope to cycle to the start and run . 

25/01/2014 at 22:47

Valentines in ilford.  It's 3 miles too, so perfect cycling distance. I have run there a few times but then bus back as there's no way I'd enjoy running home after!  Cycling is far preferable.

25/01/2014 at 23:04
I did newport this week. Have to drive as it's about 6 miles and my bike is dead. I also did Pontypool a couple of weeks ago. Ponty is faster as it is proper paths all the way not muddy bogs. But I prefer the one in newport. It is at the national trust house and I'm fond of it as I take the kids there to feed the ducks. Autocorrect wanted dicks. Tsk tsk
26/01/2014 at 09:28

caro I'd say the same with my asthma, if I don't take the drugs it's much more noticeable, now I have a small  regular dose of steroid each day less so, but I definitely know. freaky, or perhaps not, but I am much more aware in second half of my cycle too - bodies are weird, especially women's ones, hubby sent me a link ages ago about research into this. before I used inhalers, if I was doing a speedy race I'd spend the whole time coughing. sounds like a fab run though. is live to have a park run closer - Inverness is mine but it's 25 miles away & 50 miles for a round trip is not good! there is mutterings of one in Elgin on the horizon (9 miles) which would be good.

I'm reading Relentless Forward Progress at the moment, an intro to ultra marathons, as I tend to write my own schedules, it's really useful actually, and definitely good for beginners to read so you may find it off interest TT.

best be off here, rugby this morning, sky is black, husband is away, j not enthused so why am I encouraging him when frankly I could do without it (j does two hours starting at 10 and s does 1 hour starting at 11 - not in same place!!!! why sigh ...).

26/01/2014 at 11:55

I'd love to do an ultra. I'm just put off by thinking I'd be too slow. I love marathons and TBH I've never been that tired at the ens cos I just poottle along. I'm happy running slow for miles. But 10 m/m would be too slow wouldn't it Lotte an CC? Assume there are cut offs for safety etx and for ease of marshalling? 

Anyway, running aims for this year (have to be realistic given bf and baby) - sub 4 marathon or at least sub 4.10 In Berlin. Then next year maybe an ultra if I get a bit faster and one off road race. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.