Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

41,781 to 41,800 of 46,085 messages
27/01/2014 at 14:32

I am so tired!  Need sleep.......zzzzzzzz.

9 miles run, 8.30 pace incl mahoosive hill, with the help of a cliff bar to give me energy.  I am taking notes on the names of all these inhalers and meds so I can go armed with info at my next appt.  I guess last winter I wasn't running at all so that's perhaps why I didn't notice it, and gradually stopped taking my inhaler etc.  It would be nice not to feel like I'm going to die at the end of parkrun.  I am now taking the purple one twice daily and the blue on 20-30 mins before I run.  On a normal run I guess I wouldn't notice but in a race or tempo run I definitely do.

Names like dirty 30, hellraiser, strathpuffer......they just don't do it for me!  I'm sure I could so what Camlo did yesterday, but I think I'd rather live vicariously through you, you crazy lady!  I dread the 30 mins I spend in the pool with Eric on a Mon morning as it's so cold, so the thought of outdoor cold water with electric shocks in Jan.......Brrrrr.

Hubby takes Eric to M's gymnastics on a Sat morning so I can do PR.  I don't go every wk - can't do the next 2-3 for various reasons, but nice to be able to go when I can.  Still a long wat to go before my 50 t shirt.

Right, time to get Eric up, go to school, then ballet etc etc.  Yawn.

27/01/2014 at 15:46

Oops. Popped to t k maxx ostensibly to see if they had any baby shoes for Fraser but appear to be sitting here stroking two new Kate spade handbags. When 'fessing up to Andy I think I shall focus on the £540 that I saved on the usual price. I was only going to keep one but cannot possibly choose! 

27/01/2014 at 16:14

I don't know how anyone does these "tough" events. I won't even run in the rain never mind have electric shocks aimed at me! Well done camlo. 

27/01/2014 at 16:15

Ps love the shoes (or shows ghosted per autocorrect) pic TT. Mine are still pristine as a result of my above comment!

27/01/2014 at 16:18

need to go and google 'Kate Spade' ... am not up on handbags ... but shoes, now you are talking (and not the running variety!!), definitely focus on the money saved ... and after your recent achievements surely a treat is entirely acceptable!!! Not that one should need an excuse for a treat, but sometimes it helps the justification!

Well Minks, your hubby is clearly braver than mine, he wouldn't risk making suggestions like that because he knows he would be shot down in flames!!! Actually, I really don't think they DO put more stress on your body than 'standard' marathons, but then perhaps if you did them every month like some of the guys over on the ultra forum, perhaps this would be the case.  I figure something is going to get us one day anyway so I may as well go down knowing I've had a bash at as many of the things I've wanted to try?

I love my ultras, I love yomping around hillsides in the dark with a head torch and will even admit loving throwing myself in the sea, but add in electric shocks and jumping of walls and hauling up ropes - no thank you. I DO however LOVE crawling around I mud. I did a fair few army assault courses in my teenage years as a Venture Scout (when you live in Woking and have Pirbright and Aldershot army barracks on your doorstep there is no escape ).

Good effort there TT - I agree, 2014 is definitely to be your year

Good session this morning then Caro too.  Clearly a blasting it Monday all round.  So Caro - what is the purple inhaler then?? I thought you had a brown one - it's very technical this inhaler identification isn't it?

Well I risked 11.5 in the forest this morning. Was meant to be 12 but route came in at 11.51 and I was bu**ered if I was going in hunt of the missing .49 of a mile!!! Hip flexor started kicking in a mile 4  but no knee pain at all and only slight pull around SI joint. So I think she's straightened out the pelvis but it's tightened everything else up around it now ... going to see how it is tomorrow having given it some monster stretching but may be back for a final tweak.  Not too shabby though 1.36 avg 8.2 mm, but the last 3 were 7.2 so I'm happy with that. Undulating hard-packed trail. Sea looked fantastic this morning - colours were stunning and waves crashing away on beach. Favourite bit as is bang in middle of nowhere in forest so no one else to be seen.

27/01/2014 at 16:18

googled said bags ... a bargain indeed

27/01/2014 at 17:20

Forgot to say Well done to Camlo!

Minks - I am 40 in May too - we have just booked a family holiday over my birthday so we are going to face up to school as we are taking Martha out in term time.  We have a heap of justifications but to be honest I don't feel very comfortable about it.  Anyway, 10 days in Greece to look forward to!  If house sale goes through it will be her new school too - Alan has said he will do all the talking/apologising/promising it will never happen again!

27/01/2014 at 17:30

I am trying to do some serious hip stretching as my hip 

has lost a lot of mobility since I tore quad muscle 18months 

ago. Not really sure what I should b stretching though. 

Did pose of a pigeon to try and help with stretching it out.

When sitting I can put left foot on right knee and drop left knee dwn quite far, but cannot do same with right leg, knee won't drop as far as can't rotate hip round enough. 

27/01/2014 at 18:04

That would be brown.....told you I was tired!

27/01/2014 at 18:33

Great running ladies CC, Caro, TT. The weather nearly beat me today. Got up as usual at 5.30am but it was still really wild. Too wild to go out and attempt a run as you would have been blown into the traffic and really wouldn't have managed much of a running movement anyway! So did an hour on the turbo. Sufferfest downward spiral. Did manage to fit in a quick 3 miles this afternoon after work before hubby had to go back to town with athletics/gymnastics run. Still really windy but only mid 30 mph! I am getting a bit obsessive about the wind speed I think but really this is the worst continual run of gales I can remember since the year the Braer got wrecked. It just seems relentless and is making proper training a nightmare.

Last night our power was off for a couple of hours and our big wooden climbing frame and slide got ripped apart, it has stood for years and is concreted into the ground. Grrr. Mybe we can salvage bits of it from the horses field once the wind dies down!

Respect to Camlo. I'm with CC, I  love ultras, darkness and mud but no way would I fancy tough guy! Walls and ropes I could cope with but electric shocks and like Caro, cold water - no way!

I am so not into bags. I only have 2! Just can always think of things I would rather spend my money on. If I ever have money to spend which I never do. Mostly because we spend every damn penny on diesel and food. Sigh. Its been a long bad month. I am £20.29 over my overdraft limit, no food in the house although thankfully I have an account at our local shop so the kids won't starve! and don't get paid until Friday. And its Dylan's birthday on Weds and we haven't bought him a pressie yet.

Tomorrow is our big Up-Helly-A' and despite the crap weather, or maybe because of it, there is a real buzz in the air. Something to look forward to. Not going to a hall this year (last year we were still drinking at 9 in the morning!!) because no pennies, but we will go and watch the procession. Sophie has the day off school tomorrow because she is playing her fiddle at the ex-Jarls gathering int he morning and then for two fiery sessions (concerts) during the day. Have tickets to go and see her and really looking forward to it. Seeing the bairns play their music just makes me feel so proud, anyone can be good at sport but being musical is proper talent!!

27/01/2014 at 18:36

Haha thanks Ladies - I have to say that doing the Tough guy this year was only because I felt i had been cheated last year when they closed the submerged section and water jump (due to sheer volume of hypothermics). i have NO intention of doing it again as i literally scared myself stupid and the risk of injury is MASSIVE so not worth it for most runners! 

Yippee to handbags, hill session TT, controlled crying with some improvement, ultra planning and holiday planning (we are going in term time too!!)

Boo to expensive choices with handbags (nope you were not just getting a yippee for that!), house searching, niggles and juggling activities (we could all use a nanny!)

Feel likE I Have been hit by a bus today, legs not too bad but arms, chest, shoulders all killing. 

27/01/2014 at 18:45

Xposts lotte, i guess living on an island is more of a drain on finances than most people realise. I am only in Mid Wales and feel isolated when I tell people the nearest marks and sparks is an hour away! When you are so active and your kids (and you) actually have talent worth nurturing it must feel like a mixed blessing at times! 

Sorry to hear your climbing frame has flown away, eek!!!! Hope the weather eases soon. 

27/01/2014 at 19:01

OMG just checked the results and provisionally looks like I was 1st V40 out of 29 in that category, 35/237 ladies and 875/1990 total finishers!! I have some marks against my name though so not sure if I picked up penalties or what? 

27/01/2014 at 19:25

have never had spirometry

Lotte - agree winds have definitely been worse this season - I am also very anal about them!!! The BBC weather forecast online annoys the hell out of me because it never puts the gusting power in, just says say winds 20 mph, it's only if you go on met office you find out that there might be gusts up to 40 mph = 60 mph ... not important at all!!!!  Bins all blown around here last few days - no wonder beaches and open spaces look like litter drops!!!

January is a looooong month. I didn't get paid for December's library work at beginning of Jan so that is not coming through until next week which was totally sh*t so I have been juggling away and my credit card bill looks a bit worrying!!!

Always LOVE the pictures from up helly a. Lotte so go and have a good well-earned knees up!!  But yes, I have no idea how you manage to make ends meet with your brood and incomes. Diesel, food and activities are what eat up our wages for sure and we only have two darlings to cover and far less activities I think!! In theory we should be better off with my pilates money but somehow it does just seem to get eaten up with nothing to show.  Am still buying my bike though  despite my uncles written lecture to the younger members of the family all receiving inheritance from my great aunt to spend money wisely on bricks and mortar or saving and not to squander on material things ... and there was me thinking we might finally be able to upgrade to my longed-for Transporter ...

Edited: 27/01/2014 at 19:27
27/01/2014 at 19:28

sorry, timewasting on here because I am bored and killing time for half an hour before going out to retrieve son from Cubs. Madam will be yawning tonight.

27/01/2014 at 21:15

Not into shoes or handbags!  I have a nice baggelini bag that I got from my sister for my b day, but dont use much as I am still attached to the nappy rucksack.

Spirometry is next wk now, so we shall see.  Have only done it once, and that time went back after a run and did it again and it was far worse.  This time I will have 2 kids in tow, and will not be dashing out for a run around the block.

I am slightly concerned about suddenly needing all these inhalers, as £7.85 a pop for prescription charges soon adds up.  I dont begrudge paying it for the odd course of antibiotics, but if you need something ongoing for ever then it's going to start being pricey.  What do people like diabetics do?  It must cost a fortune.

Not into shoes either, but my nice Merrill winter boots that are only on their 3rd winter, so prob only 2 yrs old, have worn through.  Admittedly I did walk however many thousand miles last yr but still......and they werent cheap.  

Enjoy up helly

Well done again Camlo!

27/01/2014 at 21:45

Diabetics are exempt from charges..... May be worth checking the pre-payment certificates if you need more than a few items a month. Not good about worn out boots! 

No handbags for me either but prob because i rarely carry one. 

CC saw heir hunters earlier about an elderly lady blowing her inheritance on a helicopter ride! Go for the bike!! 

27/01/2014 at 21:46

Well done Camlo you nutter! 

27/01/2014 at 21:55

Blimey Camlo, very well done, sounds horrible. I couldn't do the crawling through tunnels bitget claustaphobic!!!!!  

Yay to new handbags EF, speedy PR Caro (wow), great running (TT)

27/01/2014 at 22:02

Stupid iPad not letting me write............

yay to holiday planning also, lucky you Kinsey. Greece sounds lovely.

enjoy Lotte but rubbish about nae dosh ????

glad your sleep is sslightly improved Vixo.

just been to yoga which was good to get a stretch.

Yesterday had my first shot at map & compass reading up the hill, still a bit confused!!!!!! Can't wait to try my new fell shoes now though. Might have a wee run up to the snow line when M at nursery in the morning. Maybe I"ll run for an hour up the hill or should I say walk!!!

Must go and get something to eat before I go to bed, hungry as usual! Try not to eat before bed but my belly feels hungry tonight and I haven't even done any proper exercise today.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.