Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

41,801 to 41,820 of 43,664 messages
03/11/2014 at 06:46

God CC, moving is bad enough, definitely get the prices for someone to pack for you next time, I think its worth every penny and it wasn't that expensive, although maybe we don't have that much stuff??

Back to school today.  Its been a long week, enjoyable mostly but stressful too when they all start moaning at the same time.  It was great to have good weather and there was plenty of playing outside.  I did a 5 miler on Saturday.  My hubby is also away for the next 2 weekends so I will have to fit my runs in when B is at play school.

03/11/2014 at 12:46

cc - good to hear from you. hope hubby has helped a bit more by now? or is he away again?

update from J last night after a few days with daddy: 'Daddy wins for the size of his house.  You win for .... kindability'. I don't know why he has to compare really - I don't prompt him. I think he is just verbalising internal monologues!

e said: 'daddy is grumpy and shouts a lot. you don't'. hmmmm.... yeeeesssss....

03/11/2014 at 20:39

CM - you have to take the little victories!

CC - yay to the no knee niggles  super news. Also yay to fab sister. Move sounded hideous but at least the worst bit is done.

Struggling to remember all that I have just read.

Ikkle - sorry about the injuries, are you seeing a physio? Hope they mend soon. 37 sounds young to me I am 40 in 5 months time. Really looking forward to being V40! Hehe. The girls (as in friends not daughters) are wanting a bunch of us to go down to Edinburgh or somewhere for a wee 40th birthday trip, but although I really would love it, the timing is crap. Was thinking to do Manchester marathon but that would be the weekend after my birthday. Hmmm not a good idea. Might have to resort to entering the dreaded London afterall

Pip - hope the move goes to plan. Sounds stressful.

Had a fun weekend. Cycling with the kids both days and our quiet 8 person dinner party on Sat night got gate crashed and we ended up with 14 adults and 20 kids and the best laugh ever. My poor kids were up til 2am, hubby only managed until 1am, think the Guatemalan rum did for him!

Today was calm and sunny and I don't work Mondays, so I made the most of it. 10 mile road run this morning, back home to get kids off to school, then 20 miles on the road bike, straight into a 6 mile off road run. Trying to do as much off road and hills as possible in prep for my 40 mile ultra on the 6th Dec. CC - did you say you had done the Brecon Beacons (might contain nuts) one, or was it the Likeys one you did?

We are hoping to send some athletes down to the North District XC champs at the end of the month (including me) - will you be running CC?

Camlo - sounded like a nice day trip to London, hope the black clouds have lifted a little.

Waves to everyone else. My sister just popped in to pick up my n ephew and lost my train of thought now.

03/11/2014 at 20:42

See CM - kids can tell whats important and whats not! Sounds like he is talking through what goes on in his head which is good.  And kindability wins over a big house any day!

Awaiting a skype call to announce our new CEO - exciting! So much work to do today and tomorrow but I appear to be fannying about on the internet! Going to regret that tomorrow when I am up to my eyeballs!!

Sounds like a fun party Lotte!

03/11/2014 at 22:43

Oh CC thats tough to have it pointed out that others can see when you are not happy.By the way you might not 'play' with your kids but you definitely do a huge amount with them in terms of outdoor activities - walks, awesome beach stuff etc so they certainly aren't missing out!!! Yay for no knee pain!!

PG3
03/11/2014 at 22:59

Cc you sound like a great parent to me. Don't be too hard on yourself. You aren't getting much help and its blummin hard.

Lotte you should do something to celebrate 40 for sure. Could you not do Edinburgh marathon at the end of may instead?

Hoggle did you get any work done?

Another day closer to our exchange date and no further forward. Ffs.

04/11/2014 at 00:40

Yes I did get some work done - friend coming round this afternoon so won't get any house jobs done but who cares!! Hugs to you re. house situation - uncertainty around houses is so incredibly stressful, I hope he gets his butt in gear swiftly xx

04/11/2014 at 08:47

cc- reminds me of when I had separated from T and was in the kitchen in my new house and was dancing round, wiggling my bum and waving my arms. J stood and looked and me, then said to N "what is mummy doing?". i'd been so depressed for most of J's life that I hadn't ever done anything like that.

let's not talk about 50th birthdays on here, eh? although it's N's 53rd this week. need to find time to bake him a cake at some point

crap journey in to work today. motorway so busy. took me an hour, when last week during half term it took me 27 minutes!

had a huge rant at my boss yesterday. he was quite shocked I think. did go at him both barrels though. poor guy... he has taken it on board. remains to see whether anything will change tho.

pg3 - yes, hugs re house. so very stressful. hope hubby is being supportive too now x

PG3
04/11/2014 at 14:24

CM - kind of. He is dealing with lots of it now as I was losing the plot, which is helpful, but each time I talk about it, he tells me that there is nothing we can do so what is the point of getting stressed about it.  Well, we all know that there is no point in stressing dont we?  Sometimes we just want to be heard and have someone say 'it's a bit pants isn't it?'

Hey ho, i have a personal training session this afternoon.  I signed up for 2 as they were on offer after a free one last week.  I didn't think I could lift and walk with a 60kg tyre, but it appears I can.  I, however, am a hell of a long way away from being able to do one single pull up!

04/11/2014 at 17:35

The thing with pull ups though are that they use muscles we really don't need for running Pip!  I never got beyond 3 in a row when I was rowing.  Too much like hard work!

Our roof is finally coming along, just the back of the house hips to do, then finishing off the ridges and the porch.  Looking forward to the gutters going back up, the windows are totally filthy!

Lotte - also amazed at you partying then managing with 6 kids the day after, I def don't have the stamina for that!!

Urgh to hoarding CC - I think we are not too bad, we do have rowing machine and a set of barely used golf clubs each though!  Moving house regularly helps have a bit of a blitz and a throw out.

04/11/2014 at 19:00

I get what you mean about needing to have a rant PG - it helps relieve some of the stress rather than bottling it up!! And easy to say no point getting stressed but much harder to achieve!

I have a million and one things to do today before collecting Matilda, going to playball and then heading off to the farm. Need to prioritise!! Oh and do some work too!!

04/11/2014 at 19:30

My new me is trying to be more 'mindful' and not let things stress me........but I sure am glad I am not moving house right now and whenever I think of the extension/new kitchen that is currently on hold I get palpitations!! 

PG3
04/11/2014 at 20:13

Caro - I can totally understand that.  I feel bad wittering on about a house move on here when you have so much on.  I know that most of our stresses come from the inability to control situations and this move is a huge example of that.  I keep trying to tell myself that it will all work out in the end and then i relax, then I think about school applications for Jan, no childcare for going back to work etc etc and feel stressed again.

Kinsey - honestly, i dont think I stand a chance of doing a pull up.  I tried again today and cant get anywhere near.  I am not sure how much I really want to do one anyway!

04/11/2014 at 22:15

Pip u have every reason to be stressed!  I know I would be.  When we moved here 8 yrs ago I said I'm never moving again.....and I still feel the same way!  It helps that I love my house and neighbourhood I guess . I hope you find that too soon, and meanwhile feel free to rant, please do not feel that I am sitting here thinking ' gosh why she is moaning about a house move when I have cancer' believe me nothing could be further from my mind.  Besides, I need a good distraction every now and then  ;) 

just back from Pilates, v glad a dragged myself out the door and went.

Camlo    pirate
04/11/2014 at 22:23

Fab pilatying, unpacking, ranting and dino pics on fb

Boo to only remembering being happy enough to wiggle your bum, not doing pull ups and crap house buyers. 

crappy day topped off with a rant off bully colleague but told boss for a change and she sent a lovely email to other bosses praising my efforts. ha. 

Also sent boys with a friend to swimming and got hubby to collect so i could actually go to running club (6 hilly miles) before immersing myself in paperwork again! Heyho just eaten a load of left overs for my tea so will have heart burn all night now! 

05/11/2014 at 06:22

We found an outside gym with pull up bars at half term.  It's very weird, the equipment is all for adults and there are some bits of equipment you can use with a wheelchair, however it is on a patch of grass next to a main road in a housing estate, so unless you want everyone on the bus watching you do your attempted pull ups, leg press, shoulder press etc ...... its all brand new and there is no one using it!

05/11/2014 at 13:32

Kinsey - there seem to be lots of outside gyms popping up in parks these days - mostly the kids like playing on them!  Though I did have a go on one near my mum's and nearly died - I would definitely like a go when no-one's looking .

Can't remember when I was last on, but basically we've been to Centerparcs at the start of half-term, the Wed night previous to this, this laptop wouldn't start up anymore (I discovered while in the middle of teaching my French class !), then when we got back from Centerparcs I managed to somehow break the socket for plugging in the charger so our other (older) laptop died as it wouldn't charge anymore!

Anyway, £145 later and they are both just about back up and running...I can't believe they both conked within a week or 2 of each other!  The night the old one broke, I had just seen a job I really wanted to apply for and basically sat frantically amending another application before the battery ran out!

Then Nicky had a bit of a lurgy last week and on Sunday I came down with awful aches and temperature - no other symptoms really which was weird, but I had to go to bed at 8.45pm on Sun!  Still only just starting to feel human today - Nicky went to school on Monday but didn't feel well and didn't know he had to tell the teacher (he thought I would just come and pick him up!) so lasted the whole day, but has been off 2 days since.  We're both off our food a bit though getting better and my glands on my neck are up and sore.  No exercise for me as a result, and didn't do much last week as had the kids all week!

Hope you're doing ok Caro - when do you get any results on how effective the chemo has been?  It would be good to know as a morale boost, but they probably don't assess it till you've finished.

My mum is going into theatre as I write, to have her lymph nodes removed.  She said she will get swelling on that leg for the rest of her life because of it, and will have to wear a special stocking .  She's very downbeat about it all, keeps saying things like her life has been ruined etc, but that's mainly because the NHS didn't do anything about her malignant melanoma for 12 years (including tell her) so she blames them and feels she wouldn't be in this situation if it wasn't for their mistakes.

She's also very grumpy with my 99 year old Granny whose memory has suddenly got so bad, but she gets cross that she remembers certain things but not others, as if my Granny does it on purpose!  She's in a home while my mum's in hospital, and we really feel she should stay there as she needs too much care for my mum to manage now, especially with her worries, and I can quite imagine that caring for someone with dementia, especially your own mother, must be really challenging.

Sorry bit of a ramble there!  Centerparcs was fab, I love it there, even if the activities are extortionate!  The kids were shattered when we came home!

I've got an interview in a couple of weeks for a part time admin job at the Uni so fingers crossed...  I'm desperate to book a holiday for next year but we have such irregular income at the moment hubby is reluctant to commit to anything.  If I get this job then we'd be sorted...

05/11/2014 at 14:12
I lived in 10 different houses by the age of 20. I will not b leaving this house unless I really really have to.
PG3
05/11/2014 at 15:25

JG - sounds like you need a big hug for lots of reasons.  The dementia thing must be so challenging and so sad

Looks like our flat may be going back on the market this weekend.  On Thursday our buyer said his buy to let mortgage would be decided in 3-5 days, so he has until Friday morning to tell us what is going on.  This wouldn't be fun anyway, but we have to apply for my daughters school by Jan 15th so thats why we want to move now. If we miss that window, we then have to see what dregs are left and anyone in the SE knows how much pressure there is for school places

I am planning on attempting a 5k pb on Saturday and quite frankly, I am scared.  I think my pb is 25m08 or something.  I did 3 miles today and couldn't run at the required pace.  My friend has volunteered to try and drag me round.

05/11/2014 at 21:59

hola!
booo to crappy house moving and chains of buyers and unreliable sorts. I hope you are able to be in a house you want to be in by the required date.

fingers very crossed for the job interview. that sounds like it would be just grand right now.

haven't seen any of these outdoor gym thingies - we're a bit behind the trendytimes round here - I do have races with The Girl around the obstacle course in our playpark. does that count?! (she usually wins so probably not!) they sound quite exciting though.

saw lovely fireworks tonight (and last night). they are so darned pretty. lots of oooooos and aaaaaaas from all of us.

still no running here. foot sore, and only gets worse if I do anything with it, and shoulders buggered. BUT new tyre and inner for bike so am very tempted to attempt a cycle ride. that can't make anything worse, right? can feel the "I've not run for a while" grumps settling in. oh dear.

appointment with Orthopaedic fella today. he wasn't the most charming of doctors but he did tell me that the bony lump thing on my arm is benign and he did agree to put me on the surgery list to have it removed as it is a significant factor in my current shoulder discomfort. that'll be fun.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.