Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

41,861 to 41,880 of 47,637 messages
01/07/2013 at 17:50

Oh JT, nightmare about the bleed.  We have 2 very troublesome pregnancies on here at the moment don't we.  Glad to hear that scan was all OK though.

Vixo, camping sounded lovely.  See your husband was right, you were worrying about nothing as it all came good in the end!! 

Caro, your camping sounded good too, I'd like to meet whoever came up with your breakfast menu, my kind of food, nomnomnom.

CM, glad things are moving quickly for you, hope all does settle down soon without the need for hormones.  Does this mean you are heading into menopause?  Sorry, bit ignorant on the whole not ovulating part of the diagnosis.

Hoggle, sorry to hear your back so bad again.  Hugs from here.

MM, grrr to your fall.  Ouchie.

Have a poorly boy at the moment.  He woke us up at about 2am Sunday morning as he had been sick in his bed.  Poor little thing, apart from carsickness, we have been extremely lucky with his health so far.  He was so sad and crying as his tummy hurt.  I cleaned everything up and put new bedding on and stayed with him for the rest of the night.  He's such a brave little thing and not a moaner at all (takes after his mum there ).  He couldn't even keep water down all day yesterday but managed a cheese sandwich before bed.  We had already arranged to keep him off nursery today but were happy he had made it through the night but I think he glugged a bit of milk first thing and was sick again straight away.  He is with my friend and her daughter today.  I have just received a picture of them having a picnic on the rug in front of the TV watching Wimbledon so hopefully he's feeling a bit better.  Although you can't enjoy having a sick child, the side effect of all of the cuddles is not so bad!

01/07/2013 at 18:02

Oh no JT. Glad all ok. 

No apology. He ran off. Didn't come and find me either. Marshall and St. John's were fab though. Not seeing anyone for now just resting as don't want the bruising to spread. Rest is the key for now. Not too bothered as running so badly anyway, the rest can only help. Gives me time to think about the next challenge and where I want to go. 

Early menopause is pretty much confirmed, so waiting game.

Nice day with the kids. Just waiting for hubbie to come home and we can have some bubbles! 

01/07/2013 at 18:04

Thanks for the suncream feedback CC and Vixo - might avoid it next time, or try some more skin friendly versions??  As Alan turned out to be allergic to some ingredients in his eczema creams I'm not really surprised!  Also might explain why Aidan's face went red last time I used sun cream.

JT - poor you, hope you are okay.  I had a bit of bleeding with B and not with my first two which was scary enough xx

CM - hope everything comes back ok and they can sort it out.

TT - hope the sickness is better - I have found that if I let mine eat or drink too much when they are feeling better it generally comes back up!

01/07/2013 at 18:05

Oh yes, happy anniversary MM

01/07/2013 at 18:56

Caro Try a decent-sized W H Smith and you'll find quite a good range of potential presents under £10. Science Museum stuff, arts and crafts, small toys etc.

Sorry to hear about your fall MM. Hope you're back running properly soon.

Hope it's nothing serious JT.

Any feedback from Legoland Vixo?

Hope he's better soon TTid.

01/07/2013 at 19:41

eek and boo to being tripped MM, not gracious either by running off!, boo to reacting to face cream, stinging nettles, another bleed JT, biopsy (ouch CM)  idiotic parents/ inlaws and need for op Hoggle. 

Yippee to anniversary MM and birthdays CC. 

Sports day and cheered Archie home to 3 firsts and a second and Tom to a second and a something that I couldn't quite see...... 

Ordered curtains off Internet - bog standard and plain but no way could I make/ line anything! Thanks for advice girls, but I know my limits! 

CM - think eldest would struggle to insure a 1.8 otherwise I would have had yours! 

Butt ok today but pain down my leg and behind my knee has reduced me to a limp so squeezing an appt in with Physio tomorrow. 

01/07/2013 at 19:42

How rude MM!!

Thanks RB - that is one shop I would never think to go in!  Not sure I'm going to get to one before the first party though......

Ordered a load of stuff online last night to make M's b day cake.  Now it's July she is definitely in count down mode!  (3 weeks tomorrow for whoever wasn't in ear shot of her today, which is probably not many people the number of times she mentioned it!)

Sister and new man arrive on Thurs from USA.  It's July 4th so they have requsted an Independence Day BBQ, and fortunately the weather looks like it might oblige.  Then on Sun we're having a small family party here for her 40th b day celebrations at her request, so that will be fun.  I hope the new man is nice........still can't really get used to the idea, esp as her ex husband is currently e mailing me from Australia telling me all about his holiday!

01/07/2013 at 19:43

oh and hope you get rid of germs too TT - don't want O catching a vom bug. 

01/07/2013 at 19:43

Oh and JT look after yourself, or you'll end up room mates with EF!

01/07/2013 at 19:46

Poor M? Tt. Never easy when they're ill but like you say, the cuddles are good

caro - you can get some good little lego kits for about £7 if you go for the lego city stuff. Also, I got a hex bug pack thing for £9.99 in Argos yesterday. Was half price so looked much more generous. My two love them.

happy anniversary mm!

everything seems settled again at mo. had ths earlier then a bleec again after the scan. The dr couldn't find my cervix opening  this morning which didn't help matters so still don't really know if cervix is open or not! Reassuringly (and not my usual style,) I've found a number of forums with people with the same condition who had the same bleeding issues but have had healthy pregnancies. Everything crossed!

01/07/2013 at 20:03

Lol Caro! I did think that my body may be in competition with her! Would have been better than the silent ward I was in, one lady clearly had dementia, another v poorly and I thought she might die (she went dowhill so fast during the morning t was scary) and the other was crying as she was having cancerous growths removed oh and then me. The nurses must have loved our bay!

01/07/2013 at 20:15

Jeez JT, that's a crappy ward to put you on.  Why not a maternity ward?

I bought a microscope for Max yesterday, original price $9.99 marked down to $2.99 (about £2!).  He's still a little young for it (closed BOTH eyes when trying to look through it!) but very excited and I think he did actually see the insect wing they had mounted as a sample.

01/07/2013 at 20:20

That was the gynae ward tt! Think the older ladies were there as there were no other beds available but other lady was having a hysterectomy.  Only 43, how scary.

01/07/2013 at 20:28

Oh goodness, fun times at the moment ladies then - not!!! JT, that sounds and awful ward to being in.  Hope everything stays settled down for you though (())

TTid - yes, agree that you all need to stay germ-free too, more finger-crossing.

Yay to fabby sports-day, and LOL at the bits you missed!  Hope physio can mend you.

My tooth which had a massive filling in it a couple of weeks ago is now really really aching so I guess I'll have to try and get a return appt. I did mention it to him last week and he prodded it and didn't seem concerned, but I am as it's quite a nagging ache and resorted to paracetamol today to stop it  obv I've googled and it could be a number of things!

MM - is that early menopause or peri-menopause?

01/07/2013 at 20:30

Gulp!  I'm 43!

01/07/2013 at 20:36

OK, a kind of race report but I will try and keep it brief!!

Lairig Ghru Race 2013. This is a Cat C long hill race, meaning it's quite straightforward (little navigating - that's the C bit) and long meaning it's over 20km.  At 26.6 miles it's definitely long enough!

Start is in Braemar and then it runs up and into the Lairig Ghru which is an old drove road through the middle of Cairngorms, into the Rothiemurcus Forest and ultimately finishes on Aviemore High st amongst all the cars and shoppers.  It's not really marshalled, just at the 8-mile point which has a water stop and a 1hr : 30 cut-off (if you don't make it reasonably they will turn you back). Next people you see are the Mountain Rescue team up in the middle of the pass, and then that's pretty much it until Aviemore so it's not somewhere you want to try and bail half way round because essentially you can't!!

After trying to work out various complicated logistics to get to race start (virtually impossible to get to by public transport apart from Aberdeen), hubby offered to drop me off in morning if I could sort childcare. So kids dropped off at friend at 7am and then we took the shortest (and definitely fastest) route cross-country, arriving way earlier than anticipated!  Husband departed with vague time to collect me from Aviemore later (5ish hours I reckoned from starting).

Forecast was for strong winds gusting 50-70 mph but essentially dry. Was cold at start though as overcast so had usual flap about what to wear/carry.  We were all meant to be carrying full set of waterproofs (along with map, compass, enough water and food) but kit checks were minimal which explained some of the miniscule packs being carried. I compromised with waterproof top and windproof trousers in bag - of course, I needed neither!!

Very mixed group, but many hardened serious-looking fell types and a fair amount of scared looking newbies including me. Record entry of 200 this year - a lot for a little race.

01/07/2013 at 20:59

... 3, 2, 1 and at 10.00am we were off. First four miles out along road, straight into a headwind but still had to work not to get carried away with crowd and pace. Avg 8mm along here but noticed chest was tight and restricted. Next section was on land rover track, still good going underfoot though so 8 and 9mm for next four miles.  Started to experience cramp in my feet though whenever the terrain changed so that was a bit of a nightmare as was constantly trying to stop toes from locking out and causing extreme pain!!

Reached the cut-off with a good 25 mins to spare so felt good about that, grabbed cup of water and jelly sweets before setting off again.  Route fairly flat still, just a really gradual climb. Crossing boggy muddy wet stuff before path narrowed into  single track  and boulder-strewn.  We had a river to wade but was only ankle-deep (has been thigh-deep in past).

Path gradually climbed upwards but never really too steep. The worst thing I found was bottlenecks on the path, the increased numbers didn't help I don't think. The worst offenders seemed to be groups of guys who bumbled along but seemed to feel no need to let others pass. So I often ended up doing dramatic leaps around people whenever the path had a wider bit; whenever I could hear someone thundering on my heels I was out of there way asap - I hate the feeling of someone right behind you.

Upward we toiled, trying not to stumble over the many stones and boulders. Views opening out all around, the threatened rain disappeared and sun started to come out. The wind disappeared for while, then it strengthened again, but on our backs now thankfully.  Ben Macdui and Braeriach loomed up either side of us and we could just start to see Aviemore in the distance as we hit the infamous 'boulder field'.

01/07/2013 at 21:08

I stopped at a gushing stream to refill my water carrier, probably had enough to get to end but knew I'd find nothing once we left the high section of the pass.

Crossed the boulder field fairly easily, it wasn't as bad as I'd expected, there were cairns to show the way and a very faint path in places. It wasn't easy by any stretch but I'd painted a far worse picture in my mind.  Actually what came next I thought was far worse.

The wind picked up and it felt like it was shoving you from behind as you started to descend towards the forest. The path didn't get any easier, it steepened downhill, full of dry shale and boulders and the wind kept pushing you down too. I was really cautious on here, conscious of trying to stay upright - esp given my record for falling over!! It seemed to go on and on and on, the rocks gradually became tree roots and my language became worse as I kept catching my toe, but never quite fell. A fair few people passed me on here including three women I'd been leap-frogging with all the way round - grrr!

It was really hot now and as we dropped into the forest we lost the wind again . Nice pine needle carpet for running on now thankfully. I'd memorised the turnings where I thought I'd go wrong and there were a couple of arrows too, plus lots of support from families and random people out in the forest. So I really quite enjoyed this stretch, being able to run again properly too and reeled in a few people including one of the women who'd passed me.

All too soon onto the main road at Coylumbridge. Back into the head wind, sun beating down and a pavement by a busy road to run on. A bit of a come-down. Anyway, head down and back to knocking out 8mm again. Reeled in another woman in the last half a mile and then we were on Aviemore High St, weaving between Sunday shoppers, trying to cross the road and trying to work out which bit of the finish was the finish - oh, that'll be where the guy is leaping around pointing and shouting 'here, here' whilst pointing at the pavement!!!  Time taken down, and then a nice cold bottle of water and a fantastic selection of free cake to choose from courtesy of the mountain café. 4 hours and 58 minutes so just about scraped in my 5 hour guestimate!

01/07/2013 at 21:16

Sat around chatting for a little while before escaping to Fat Face to make some birthday treat purchases!!! Family found me in there.

I really enjoyed this race but I reckon I enjoyed my 30-miler from the other week more. The race is attended by most of the big Scottish run clubs and unless you are part of those clubs it can feel a little lonely. I did find some lovely people to chat to on the way but it had more of a 'heads down lets get on with it' feel that other stuff I've done. BTW I did have my head down to get on with it, but even so ...!

01/07/2013 at 21:52

Nice report CC. I've walked part of the route and I must say that the scenery is fantastic.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.