Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

41,881 to 41,900 of 43,178 messages
16/11/2014 at 23:34
Inservice day here tomorrow boo, but Christmas hols this yr R rubbish, only getting a wk and a half off insteAd of usual 2 wks not happy.
17/11/2014 at 00:32

Interesting to hear about the second language for Scottish kids - would be interesting to know the reasoning behind it!

Hugs to all who need them esp Camlo - that sounds like an exceptionally bad day by all accounts!!

I have spent 4 hours on the phone for various work calls this morning which means I pick Matilda up shortly having done basically no work SIGH! Really starting to feel the pressure of getting everything wrapped up before I leave! Also the weather is like the middle of winter so am freezing and have a cold - yuck!! 

Sorry, will come back later when I can be less complainy!

17/11/2014 at 08:31

It sounds good for kids who have support at home but for kids who are struggling with a first language and reading and writing??  Not sure!

Not sure if i said Congrats to JG!  Well done!

Hope Fraser slept EF xx

17/11/2014 at 12:17

Thank you 

I think the language thing is a good idea (me biased?) but it should be mostly done orally with minimal reading and writing.  You can incorporate it naturally into everyday class e.g. the register, asking for a pen etc. but in England certainly, there doesn't seem to be any official way of teaching it which does worry me.  The secondary teachers are going to end up with a mixed bag turning up in Y7 who may not even have learnt the same language as they are going to do at secondary!  And as people have said, if you put too much emphasis on reading and writing, when some pupils are already struggling with that in English, you are going to switch them off before they even reach secondary school.  Young children are like sponges though - Sophie loves learning Spanish (at Spanish club) though I have to pay for it, and next year she will be learning French in school!

Legs are aching today!  I weigh at least half a stone more than I did when I last set my pb so in theory if I lost weight I'd get quicker...you'd think that would be an incentive to stop stuffing chocolate in as I type wouldn't you 

17/11/2014 at 16:11
I assume the second language thing is to bring us into line with rest of Europe where a lot of kids speak more than one language. Have always thought a 2 nd language shomd b taught much earlier than high school, they pick up languages much easier at young age.

Have pretty much come to conclusion that my running issues the last month and a bit R peri menopause. I break in to a cold sweat anytime I exercise and even when not exercising, fatigue very easily and get much more soreness than should for short runs and period has bn irregular the last few months, was 6 days late this month. Apparently itching and increased allergies R a symptom too. Got appointment for smear and flu jab on Thurs so probably make a doc appointment to just to speak to doc and mayb get some bloods done. Can't live with this cold sweats thing so think medication will b the way to go. Have avoided contraceptive drugs for last 17 yrs as they gave me migraines so not keen but mayb there r better drugs about now.
17/11/2014 at 19:59

woohoo to pb's. a couple of friends did the abbey dash and got pb's too. a good year for it!

hope the docs can get you sorted out menopause and blood tests and the like.

hope the consultant appointment went well and you came away with more answers than questions.

despite my profession, I never check holiday dates and am notoriously rubbish at knowing them. I think we are 2 weeks at Christmas, but no feb break (we tried it as a region one year as an experiment and the only people who liked it were me and the people who like to go ski-ing in February). so a long ass haul from jan - april.

today I learned "ma soeur a dix-huit stylo et une petite fleur" tell you what, come Christmas i'll be full of these useful phrases. a guy comes in to work with the class but he is all about the "write this one down" and less about the conversation.

about to go out as it is fairly mild and the fog has lifted. actual fog. not a metaphor.  

17/11/2014 at 20:18

Well done on the PB JG!

TT stay away from HRT!  Well I would say that now wouldn't I?  I have one more month before I start my 10 yr 'sentence' of tamoxifen.  Great.  I am so looking forward to having induced menopause, hot flushes, etc etc.  It's amazing all the products I have found out that you can get on prescription to help with certain symptoms.  I shant go into anymore detail for fear of TMI!

So the latest oncologist was very nice and helpful.  She didn't say one way or the other because as I well know now it is a grey area and there isn't a right answer.  However with all the treatment I've had and am going to still have, there is a 90% chance that I will not get a local recurrence (we're talking regrowth of the cancer in the same place, not a new cancer), and radiotherapy will add another 5% or so, making it 95%.  So for that extra 5% i'm willing to take the risk.  Plus with the chemo and hormones there is a 95% chance I will still be alive in 10 yrs time.  Those are pretty good odds frankly so I'll stick with that.

Last chemo tomorrow.  Of course got the phonecall telling me I'm neutopenic again, so have to go in early for bloods.  Those neutrophils better have come back up again.  I am going to a psychology seminar on stress management as well.  I will come back calm and full of zen......or something.

17/11/2014 at 20:18

Erm, does that mean 'my sister has 18 pens and a little flower'??

Bloody sinuses, hope this cold thing goes on its own, I sound like an elephant when I blow my nose!

Hope doc can provide insight on peri-menopause TT.  Maybe we will have to have a new 'peri-menopausal mums running club' thread - aaarrgghhh!

17/11/2014 at 21:54

Hahah kinsey i love the idea of menopausal Mums club - of course i cant join not because i am not there but because i refuse to acknowledge it.... 

Yippee to PB, new kitchen CM and days off school (even if they have to be repaid in the spring) 

Boo to more bloods Caro and to sinuses and fog. 

Glad you got enough info to make a decision Caro x 

Did a massive sort out at the weekend and gave away a load of toys and NOW the boys want to do dinovember..... Oops. Perhaps i was right about not giving all the babyish animals away?? 

18/11/2014 at 07:05

I've been coughing all night and have a headache.  Am worried they won't do chemo today......

18/11/2014 at 08:29

Oh no Caro, guess it is not sensible to inflict chemo on you if you are poorly. 

CC - my goodness I did look twice when you said 1st baby at 44! Mirena is generally very calming and doesnt have any of the unpleasant effects like the combo pills do. hope it helps.

4th baby eerrrrrrr NO! No Way, Never.... That clear? 

18/11/2014 at 13:19

hope you are in there being 'done' caro

cc - hope mine get on in the future. they HATE each other now. the only time they vaguely co-operate is when they are playing Lego the movie on the xbox. and even then if E cocks up, J goes ballistic. they really do wind each other up all the time. if I say to Ellen 'put your shoes on please', J goes 'Yeah Ellen' in a really sarcastic tone. and E is always winding J up and squealing at him / hitting him. it drives me insane! why can't they just get on!?

18/11/2014 at 13:43
Sounds just like a Monday and Tuesday here. Boys that started a couple of months back and Camryn just clash constantly. They argue about who is causing the arguments. Sooooo draining. But the 3 other kids I have minded for longer R a dream, they all get on so well. A Thursday & Friday r so much less stressful.

Not had the floods yet CC but I know my Mum was bad with them, she would have to go home and change if started unexpectedly and couldn't leave house sometimes it was so heavy. Would rather take the risks with meds than live with constant threat of that and the itching and sweating and fatigue at very little exercise. I need to run and at the moment it's too hard and itching driving me bonkers. Sweat running dwn ur back is only a good thing while running, not just standing or walking. Have taken a wk off last wk to help with all the aches and pains. Will try a short run and exercise bike tomorrow and see how I am.

Don't know whether to hope u got the chemo Caro so it's over and done with or hope u didn't cause ur unwell and both together doesn't sound good.
18/11/2014 at 17:35

Thinking of you today, Caro. I guess the photos on FB mean good news and you've had the chemo. Really hope you don't feel too rotten with it this time. X

18/11/2014 at 19:32

Looks like you managed to get your chemo Caro - love the photo story on FB! I hope you can hunker down and get through this next week as quickly as possible and then enjoy the lead up to Christmas without any more chemo looming!

Feeling coldy and snowed under with work at the moment. Hubby keeps saying just go back to bed, they'll understand and of course they would but I am so conscious that with only 2.5 weeks left at work I have so much to do in order to not leave things in a state and as I have noone to handover to yet I need it all written down! Also aware that as I am working up to just before my due date, I could in theory go earlier so trying to at least get handover notes written in case something happens (of course I will go really overdue but to be honest that looks a bit appealing as I would get some days off while M is at daycare to relax!). I know they'd all survive if I just went but I really like my job and don't want to leave things behind that make me look sloppy!

M is obviously really conscious that everything is about to change. She swings between being excited and saying things like 'I don't want the baby to push me' etc. She is also super clingy with me at the moment - doesn't want to do anything on her own with Daddy. He's planning on taking her out on Saturday to give me a break - I can't wait!!

Hope everyone else ok? Saw a fab race report on FB from MM!! Right, must knuckle down and get some work done!!

PG3
18/11/2014 at 21:33

Hope it went ok today Caro.

Hoggle, how old is M again?  The difference between mine was just over 3 years.  Someone told me to give the older one jobs or a job to help with the baby to make them feel important.  My baby is now 8 months old and I imagine that Georgia can't remember or imagine life without him.  It's so cute to see them giggling together (I'll enjoy this as I know they'll be fighting in a few years time!).

Sonya - you are a mentalist (in the nicest possible way!). 4!!!!!  If you are really thinking about it, best get saving for a mini bus

I am still pondering one of those new coils as I am rubbish at remembering the pill and defo dont want another.  Hubby could have the snip but I think he is hedging his bets in case we split and wants a family with someone else.  I joke but there is some truth there

18/11/2014 at 22:45

Yes hoggle they'd survive.  Found that one out the hard way!!

girl at work had a wee girl yesterday. So happy for her. She lost her wee boy a year and a half ago due to placenta issues at about 33 weeks. Grim. 

Pg3 it's ironic you say that re hubby. Bro in law has faced that very problem.  Divorced 11 years ago and finally met lovely girl last yr but she's young, 35 or so, and wants her own kids. he wld have them but can't as had the snip. 

better go to bed. Caro hope the thought of last one is keeping you going. Xx 

18/11/2014 at 23:21

Snip is reversible - I had a colleague who had exactly same scenario and went on 2 have 2 girls with his second wife. Not cheap though! Hubby can get the snip after this one - we are done I think.

WOnderful for your colleague EF. I was just wrapping a very belated present from my friends new baby (the one who lost her son at 5 months after a liver transplant). Its been a very emotional time for them but they are very happy.

Am feeling pointlessly stressed about something ridiculous!! We have got M a trampoline for christmas (birthday ad christmas combined from several relatives). Hubby was adament we needed a 14 ft one - I am worried we are not going to have any garden left!! Pointless worrying because can't change it now and we won't live here for ever but I just don't think he realises how big its going to be - I keep looking at the space and picturing it in my head!! First world problem right?!!

PG M is 3 and 5 months. I think she'll be fine but suspect we'll have some interesting behaviour to contend with at the same time. Luckily we have Christmas not long after so she has something exciting to look forward to and something we can focus on together thats not all about the baby.

19/11/2014 at 06:50

Ugh. Rubbish night'a sleep worrying about work. Trying to discharge a hearing on Monday and other side have agreed so I basically threw file in a cupboard and ignored it as new date not til may. Now the fecking sheriff is being difficult and of course I am not remotely ready so if she refuses my motion for this one (police officer on annual leave) I will need to ask again as I'm not ready and she will actually annihilate me. aaaaaaargh. Just grant the motion lady!! 

19/11/2014 at 08:54

Exciting times, Hoggle You're much braver than I was with work - I went until 29 weeks with G (but that was because I'd get more mat pay the earlier I went, bizarrely!) but still felt like I hadn't got enough time to get everything done! With JP I could be really flexible as I was doing my PhD - went to due date as I recall. Hope the lurg goes away  

Fingers crossed for you, EF. Lovely news about your colleague - I remember you saying about her little boy when it happened.

sorry not to name check everyone. Been so long since I posted it would take forever to read back. I sort of keep up on FB but it isn't the same. Hope everyone is as OK as can be.  It's G's birthday tomorrow so going to get her some presents today. I've told her she needs to close her eyes while I buy.

Edited: 19/11/2014 at 08:54
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.