Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

41,921 to 41,940 of 45,767 messages
01/02/2014 at 20:19

it was exactly that Caro - insurance only covered over 8s, stupid considering the wall at Inverness takes wee kiddies, as does the one at Grantown-on-Spey that we ended up at. I know it was their grand opening but surely that is quite a detail!! anyway, I've put a 'not very happy' comment on their facebook page and am going to write a whing-a-letter - I did see, after I'd posted, that someone else on a different page on FB had said they noted it was for over 8s, but I don't know where they would have found that info as not clear at all!!!  I was fuming, and pointed out she'd been climbing before and we did know what we were doing. Stupid thing was, they even had their own staff belaying too - grrrrr. Anyway turned out well as other wall is closer and the staff are lovely, even if it's yet another wall that's only open after school hours or in the evening and weekend afternoons. So no use if you work shifts or can't get out in the evening!!!

01/02/2014 at 20:33

oh nightmare, cc - glad you got a climb in anyway

J stressing excessively all day long about not being able to get to sleep at night. any advice anyone? we have bedtime routine as always (as you all know now!). and he admits he is tired but he just says he doesn't know how to fall asleep. he reads in bed, then it is lights out but he is already stressing he won't be able to sleep. don't know what else to suggest to him. told him to try thinking of animals beginning with each letter of the alphabet, or visualisation of building lego or whatever, but he says he can't do it. i don't have a cd player i can put in his room either - otherwise i would try some quiet classical music. any other tips? he is worrying about it all day now and gets really upset (sobbing) within minutes of lights out.

i know how he feels - i hate not being able to get to sleep!

01/02/2014 at 20:54

Sorry, no idea CM. the letters of the alphabet thing is the technique I use. Poor J. He's pretty active isn't he?  I know when we have taken Max to play tennis after school he sleeps better but I know j is active. 

01/02/2014 at 21:10

I would purchase a cheap cd player and try the classical

music or relaxation cd CM and maybe a notepad that he can write his thoughts in if he is thinking about things. Or something relaxing but non stimulating to do 

like colouring in. And just talking about how it doesn't matter 

if he can't get to sleep straight away, it becomes a viscous circle 

worrying about not sleeping. So give him lots of other options of what to 

do instead and try to take the worry out of it.

01/02/2014 at 21:22

No it doesn't matter how much he has done. He plays 2+ hrs rugby on sun and does half an hour swimming lesson (swims about 40 lengths in that time) and still can't sleep. Is definitely anxiety

have given him notepad but he says that doesn't work. Have tried reasoning with him about it but he catastrophises (wonder where he gets that from). I think the key is to take the anxiety out of it and get him to see it doesn't matter. Will have to use my cbt tech iques as I learn them. Argh iPad autocorrect. 

01/02/2014 at 21:39

This isn't much help in that I can't remember how it resolved itself but I have a distinct memory of being in floods of tears for nights in a row when I was wee because I couldn't sleep and it developed into this thing whereby if I wasn't asleep by 8.50 then I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep. 

01/02/2014 at 21:40

Maybe u could do a yoga dvd together with a relaxation 

bit at the end, so he can learn some relaxation techniques

01/02/2014 at 21:46

My J rarely goes to sleep immediately he goes to bed - he has night owl tendencies like me , but the light goes out and I know he lies there playing with his lego figures in the dark and then because he's distracted and quite chilled he just nods off. I accept he's not like his sister who HAS to be in bed at a reasonable time or she's just evil, goes out like a light and up like a lark!!  I have banned him from taking large lego things into bed as they fall out in the night and wake me up with a crash (he has a cabin bed!!). His light is always out between 8.30-9pm but sometimes I can hear him still fidgeting at 9.30-10pm. I figure he's resting and therefore chilling. At least 2x a week he will be crashed out by 8.30pm anyway.

01/02/2014 at 22:16

Actually I remember now that my mum made me go through my whole body tensing up each part individually and consciously relaxing it.  I think it helped a bit but I can't remember how I got over it completely.  Now I get to sleep ok but when I am at work (and very noticeably NOT when I am on mat leave) I tend to waken up about 3 or 4 am probably 4 nights out of 7 and that's me awake for a good 2h. 

Your work sounds awful.  We have to do tenders like that too and one time the tender was half completed when someone said why are we doing this - they want us to do the work for next to nothing and so they told the company to bog off and didn't apply.

Just made scones for the first time in my life!  For someone who adores scones that is a bit ridiculous but I will def do it again as I have calculated the ww points and it's only 4 per scone They are so scrummy though it helps that they are just out of the oven. 

02/02/2014 at 08:57

WHat kind of lighting do u have on in the hr b4 bed CM? 

Recommended that u keep lighting low in bathroom 

and read with a very low wattage lamp or a red light is even 

better as apparently protects night vision. 

02/02/2014 at 09:03

Eating hi carb dinner 3hrs b4 bed, no sugar in the evening, 

make sure nothing he eats or drinks contains caffeine. Kiwi 

fruit apparently a good sleep inducing snack too(seen a woman on some food doctor program and those things 

helped).

02/02/2014 at 10:46
He has a lamp on his high sleeper that faces the wall. Think it is low wattage.

Had a chat with him this morning. Asked him how many nights he had been alive. He thought about it while on the loo. Concluded that it was about 2750 nights. I asked him how many of those nights he hadn't managed to get to sleep and had lain awake all night. He admitted sheepishly that there were none. And then I asked him how many nights he had had where lying awake all night had caused a problem. Obviously none. But he started talking about late nights he had had. Couldn't get him to see that it isn't a problem if he goes to sleep a bit late sometimes. Kept asking him how many times he had died after a late night or how many times his legs had dropped off. Don't think that helped.
02/02/2014 at 12:11

Sometimes they just need to stew on a thought for a 

while b4 it sinks in. Sounds like kind of thing I always say 

to my kids lol. my pet hate is when they say they 'need' something, always triggers my 'are you going to drop dead if you don't get it' speech.

I have a bee in my bonnet though because I know there is a 

high risk my kids may develop rheumatoid or psoriatic arthritis 

as both my Mum and Nana have/ had one or both so I feel they have to grow up with a positive 

can do attitude if they r going to cope should that happen.

02/02/2014 at 14:14

My middle girl won't go to sleep until 9.30-10 pm. She is often awake when I go to bed. She normally sits playing with her moshi monsters, Lego or colouring in. Small lamp on in room only. Have to make sure she hasn't sneaked her DS upstairs though as she will hide it under the bedcovers!!!! The other two go to sleep fairly easily.

i have just got into bed as on a night shift tonight so 

02/02/2014 at 14:24

will try & have a wee doze shortly. It's a good excuse to come up to bed for some peace n quiet at least!!!

CM- sounds a horrible ear infection u have. Maybe need different AB's if no improvement soon eh. Easy for me to say but try & not stress too much about your interview, what will be will be. You are an amazing mum so look after yourself self x

TT- I'm always trying to make my girs( and myself) be thankful for what they have. R moans a lot & I'm always saying things like you should be thankful to be fit & healthy with a lovely house, bike etc etc. whether she takes any notice of my ramblings I don't know!!!!

working in HDU has really made me appreciate like & know that it can change in a split sec ( get road traffic accidents often). Life is defiantly precious and we don't know  how lucky we are until it's too late sometimes.

anyway well done to all who's been running over the weekend. Nil exercise today for me apart from 50 sit ups before my bath!!! Yesterday did a 3.5 mile run with  100 squats through out the run!!!! My quads were sore for 4 days after last Tusedays hill run so clearly I do not have thighs of steel after all that cycling!!!! So Feb. is going to be all about hill running & trying to fit in some map reading & learning to use a compass a bit better!

Cc- what kind of sleeping bag will you use for the HMM

02/02/2014 at 14:27

I only have cheap bulky sleeping bags so I must see if I can borrow one from somewhere as to get a tiny, warm one is expensive. Also is it the OMM pack you use? 32 litre or  25??? 

Right better read my book to try n get sleepy!!!! Night

02/02/2014 at 17:00

I ran my first ever XC today. Blimey it was tough. Hilly, very soggy and a steady gale. Still fun though!

Just a quickie, be back later. CC I was thinking about entering the Brecon Beacons Ultra in Nov, have you done it before? Would you recommend it? I am going Glenmore 24 in Sept but just wanted something for the end of the year.

02/02/2014 at 18:25
Ooo that is my neck of the woods. Shan't join you but can offer accommodation Lotte!
02/02/2014 at 18:31
Lotte - if you do decide to do it you can stay with me the night before and I will get you to talybont for the start
02/02/2014 at 20:09

Lotte - it was my first ever 'proper' ultra in 2009, think my garmin had it at about 46.5-47 miles in the end. Likeys are a fabulous bunch of people. It's a two-lapper so depends if that bothers you. A real mix of road, trail, forest fire tracks, a fairly evil climb called Tor-y-foel and then another climb up to 'the gap', before a nasty descent (if it's wet) before hitting trail/road/canal. So it's a good mix, basic support - like just water at the stations. If I lived nearer I think I'd do it again as it really is just so low key. I probably have a race report I wrote about it somewhere ... (I'm sad, as I like writing stories I keep all my race reports on file ... I know ... sad!). I wouldn't dither too much as it's usually a speedy sell-out. Others enjoy the May Contain Nuts series as they are more 'adventurous' on route choice apparently, but I think this one  has plenty going for it without needing hard core navigation skills etc.  as they are such a great team. Their online shop is fab too.

RF - at the moment I am using my standard 3 season down sleeping bag which is reasonably light but not that small, have used it on all other mm except the one where I thought I'd use a £10 Tesco sleeping bag because it was so small - well how could I possibly freeze in the Lake District at the beginning of July with daytime temps of 22 degrees + ... wrong ... clear skies, almost a frost, me shivering away wearing waterproofs in my sleeping bag!!!  It's the blue one, which is I think the 32l one. Mine is 14 years old so may see if I can borrow hubby's as his is only about 4 years old!!  I can usually  get everything in but has been a while since I've done such packing. You really have to focus on the absolute basics and put up with being stinky for a night!!  You need food bags for your feet - so you can put nice warm dry socks on in tent but wear food bags over feet so you can wear your wet stinky shoes around the camp ground in the evening  I too have been doing squats to sort out lazy glutes etc!

Edited: 02/02/2014 at 20:12
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.