Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

41,941 to 41,960 of 45,830 messages
02/02/2014 at 20:49

Argh j is crying and panicking in bed that he can't sleep. I am in and out to him as he is so distressed. Worse than a bloody baby!!! I have told him not to stress. He is worried that he will be so tired that he can't concentrate at school (never happened before) so he will make mistakes and get told off (also never happened before). Still doesn't stop him worrying. There he goes again

02/02/2014 at 21:46

Has the teacher said sth inadvertently and he's fixated on it? Maybe they've covered health or sth and she's said sleep is vital blah blah and he's really cottoned on to it? 

02/02/2014 at 22:24

Probably. although I may have said something about sleep being needed for good health etc  So that will be my fault then. 

Anyway after last bout of wailing and angsting I told him to hold onto monkey (his cuddly) and squeeze it really tight every time he got anxious and keep squeezing until he felt calmer. So he went to sleep presumably squeezing his monkey lol. Won't be the last time I'm sure

forgot to mention - at swimming earlier and E whispers to me "I know the n word". I was so shocked. didnt know quite what to say. Then she whispered it to me - f***. Oh the relief! Oh yes I was relieved that my 4yr old,had said f***!!  I actually laughed. Which was so wrong. But I was just relieved that she didn't really know the n word!! Or in fact that the n word does not start with an f. 

Edited: 02/02/2014 at 22:25
02/02/2014 at 22:27

Ok, so what's the n word?

02/02/2014 at 22:30

Oh I get it, you mean ' eeny meany myni mo, catch a.........tiger by the toe'

the first time Matilda said that I held my breath wondering what on earth she was going to say!

02/02/2014 at 22:40

up here you rarely see anyone with a skin colour other than the usual pale/white etc, in direct contrast to my own fairly multi-cultural/coloured upbringing ... Woking having the first mosque ever built in Britain, so my class at school was a good mix.  When the army moved in here a few (and only a few) African origin families appeared - "why do they have really dark suntans in winter" questions asked, very loudly of course!!!

My friends daughter managed to poke J in the eye (deliberately - sigh) with a straw from a carton drink (the pointy end of course). He's gone to bed with a slightly red-looking eye, am not even going near google about scratched corneas ... will see what it looks like in the morning ... He was so funny though - "I don't understand why my eyes reflex action didn't work quick enough" - huh, is that normal conversation from a nine-year-old??

02/02/2014 at 22:41

Yup that one. 

when e said that rhyme on a packed tube train, she said "nugget". Unfortunately the rest of the train heard the original wording and glared at me. I have never been more embarrassed in my life. 

02/02/2014 at 22:42

Xpost cc - yup is the sort of thing J would say!

02/02/2014 at 22:45

Lou says tigger. As in winnie the pooh's pal.  It's a bit close for comfort though! 

02/02/2014 at 23:40

Ooh watching that horizon fat v sugar program u were 

talking about b4 CC, very interesting stuff. Would recommend Lotte 

watch it and anyone else on no sugar/low carb diet, was very surprised to discover that the guy on low carb diet 

ended up borderline prediabetic after one month. 

03/02/2014 at 03:35

Stuck in a slightly dodgy motel room while the sun bakes outside!!! Over in Bay of Plenty for a quick 1 night trip and am considering flagging work and going for a paddle in the sea (bitterly regretting not bringing swimming costume!).

Interesting to read the various bedtime routines and those who go to sleep easily or not. Since getting rid of her dummy, M struggles to switch off at night. If I leave her to her own devices she plays in her room and manages to go past tiredness and find a long second wind which can see her awake until 8.30-9pm despite having been knackered when she goes to bed at 6.45pm. I have resorted to taking the main distracting toys out of her room! Poor wee thing is a bit confused at the moment, she knows we are probably moving and has looked at a couple of houses with us, but because I don't know whats happening I can't give her a very concrete explanation so she keeps asking if she can take her toys with us when we move. She looked very perturbed when we left on Sunday as all the open home viewers were coming in! We have a few house leads this week plus potential that we could stay (investor interested) so hoping to have things resolved by the weekend - fingers tightly crossed!!

Had a bit of a lull in running as I let things get on top of me last week and then work is super hectic this week but once back from this trip I'm going to re-focus!! I need to put time aside for me but also need to not drop balls at work!

03/02/2014 at 12:12

She will be fine hoggle. Toddlers are surprisingly resilient at moving houses and such like. She'll forget about it and settle into a new house far quicker than you I suspect! Very jealous of your fb photo of picnic up a mountain, looks so beautiful. Good luck with getting out running again.

Tt- I watched that program too. Very interesting about the prediabetic state he was in, shows how dodgy diets like atkins and dukan are. I realised from watching it that we eat a lot of sugar, because as well as the odd biscuit/cake (or more in hubbys case!) we eat so much fruit/bread/pasta etc. I don't eat cereal except muesli/oats but the girls demolish shreddies/Weetabix. I am living on carbs these days as that's all my stomach can handle, really gone off fruit bizarrely! Also really worry when I read lottes diet, just don't know how you survive on that and still run! Reading scott jurek at the mo. definitely will be making some of his recipes (if I find time) as I'm virtually vegan at the moment.

Hope J slept ok in the end CM. Don't know what to suggest either. I am incredibly lucky to hardly ever suffer insomnia. The worst I ever had was pre-A level exams when I didn't sleep at all the night before exams. I still got through them ok. My girls appear to have my genes when it comes to sleep so hopefully wont be affected too much, Rosie is showing signs of night owl behaviour, often hear her chatting to herself near 8pm (bedtime 6.45-7), whereas Mags is snoring by 7.

03/02/2014 at 12:56

J did get to sleep in the end but not without so many tears. i have read up on it and will be suggesting some more relaxation stuff to him tonight. going to try just one technique i think - liking the idea of 'rocking the monkey' which is taking a cuddly and putting it on his chest and getting him to concentrate on breathing in and out deeply and slowly so that the monkey is rocked like in a boat on waves. he concentrates on doing that and thinking about that rather than trying to get to sleep. he has a monkey whom he loves to bits, so i think that will work quite well.

it's so odd because he has always been a fab sleeper and has never got distressed in the past if he hasn't been able to sleep. it looks like it's fairly normal for them to go through this anxiety though at this sort of age, so i'll just go with it for a bit and try and help him through it.

in the thick of it i get cross myself though because i feel like i've gone right back to having a newborn who cries when i leave the room!!!

03/02/2014 at 13:02

The scott jurek chilli recipe is good Sonya.  

Am having one of my periodic "I eat too much meat' phases at the moment, so at the pub yesterday I had nut roast, I made my own nut roast thing last wk, and we had spinach and ricotta pasta last night.  Compared to some I must not have much sugar, but it will still be more than the recommended amount I'm sure.  I only drink water generally, no sugar in tea or coffee, I make all my own bread which either has none in or 1tsp for whole loaf - but I did just eat a mini fromage frais after lunch with Eric so that was probably my daily allowance all in one go!

Thankfully hubby loves veg, and will happily eat pasta just with veg, or if he comes home late he'll just have toast with veg, so we def dont need 'meat and 2 veg' on a daily basis.

03/02/2014 at 14:37

CC - now you have confused me. Can't decide  between the Likeys one or the Might Contain Nuts one in December. Argh. Hate decisions.

CM thank you so much for your offer... are you sure? Would take you up on that if I do one of them.Think they both start at same place.

TT- I did try to watch that prog but kept falling asleep. Can never watch anything on tv without falling asleep which is why I rarely bother. It did draw some interesting conclusions however I still think the majority of people eat too much carbohydrate in their diet. I also strongly think it is an individual thing and no one rule can possibly fit everyone. I def need a kick up the arse with regards to my diet as I have got really lazy and have been skipping meals because I can't be bothered to make something different for me.

I try to eat low carb but that is not no carb. I don't eat bread, pasta, rice or cakes, biscuits etc. I do eat lots of fruit and veg. I do have a carbs once a week with my meal after a long run or a really hard session, usually rice or sweet potato although last night it was fajitas. I eat alot of full fat dairy. Meat/chicken/fish most days. The main reasoning behind going lower carb was to teach the body to use fat as a fuel source so that I can run ultras well.

Interestingly Tim Noakes suggests that many people are carbohydrate intolerant and that eating a lower carb diet will benefit those (like himself) who were/are prediabetic.

http://www.mh.co.za/food/the-tim-noakes-diet/

The problem is that there are so many diets/theories etc and they all contradict each other. And you can't trust them as so many have alterior motives. After all it is a huge industry out to make money. The low carb brigade were dissing the horizon prog as the beeb supporting the million pound sugar industry. I don't know. It makes my head spin. I think moderation of everything is the key and eat as naturally as possible. The fewer processes the food has been through the better.

Anyhoo at work so better stop skiving.

Edited: 03/02/2014 at 14:38
03/02/2014 at 14:54

That's one thing I do agree with lotte, eating as naturally as possible (but no meat to help save the planet ), I'm a hippy at heart

03/02/2014 at 15:05

Took me 2 attempts to watch too, tried watching the late 

night repeat 1st time. 

General conclusion was you should avoid processed carbs, 

especially foods that have a 50/50 carb to fat ratio, they r the worst culprits. 

Carbs played a very important part in endurance exercise 

tho, guy who used fat as fuel lost a lot of muscle because 

when u exercise without carbs ur body uses muscle to produce 

glucose to keep ur blood sugar up, so u should try to fuel 

with carbs. Although I am sure there is a difference between 

exercising full on working hard and exercising at a lower level , 

say slow LSR pace versus doing intervals. Plus he was new to 

the diet and exercise tests too, so we all know ur body can get 

better at burning fat for fuel. 

03/02/2014 at 15:47

The programme confused me a bit too. It's basic conclusion seemed to be that our bodies are super clever and will adapt to whatever bonkers diet we give them (insofar as they can) but excluding carbs entirely is bad. I was also interested to see that the Tour de France team ate a lot of carbs and also the effect the no carb diet had on the guys brain function. 

But I really shouldn't watch this kind of stuff. Moderation seems to be the key (boring though that is) & since having kids I've eaten better, more and more sensibly than ever before. With a history of eating disorders and the fact that I can feel that way of behaving lurking at my door all day every day, I just don't trust myself to do any kind of " diet" now in case I regress. And thinkin about every mouthful, counting calories, skipping meals, eating "differently" to everyone else - it scares me how easily I could go back to that and I just don't want to go there again. 

I can't run without carbs though. And I want to run so that in itself forces me to eat. Interestingly, when the black clouds come and I stop eating, I stop running too......

anyway, on brighter notes - ! Did a lovely 9 miler at he weekend almost all on trails. It really boosted my confidence for my half marathon in march. And I'm thinking of an off road half in June. 

Getting carried away with all the ultra talk and was considering entering one at the end of the year then remembered i would probably still be breast feeding so I'm thinking thats probably not gonna work!! 

BTW - if anyone fancies th Abingdon marathon you can come stay with me. Plenty of room for runners and supporters and only 3 miles from start! Think someone was thinking of ot earlier but brain fried and can't remember who. Was it Minks?

anyway, best go wake toddler and brave the supermarket. Run out of wipes. Doh. 

03/02/2014 at 15:50

Oh and Hoggle don't worry about moving house. We moved with E when he was 2 and a bit then i had his brother 10 days later - lots of change. But he was fine and even started finally sleeping through the night in his own bed in th midst if all that! 

03/02/2014 at 16:25
Yes Lotte. Come and stay. Be fun.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.