Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

401 to 420 of 45,823 messages
08/10/2007 at 22:06

Welcome home Janie... glad you had a good holiday.  How is Teds reflux doing?

My clever girls rolled over today... now in training for 2012 olympics!! Poor M, she has been really trying and struggling for a week or so...E showed no interest but casually flipped herself when I put her on her tummy today!  Had to give M a little nudge!

09/10/2007 at 08:45
Hi, quick question, will it be ok to give blood if i'm still breastfeeding, the week after Islas first birthday, considering she's only taking one 20 min feed in the morning and about the same in the evening ??
09/10/2007 at 14:48

Wow Hetty thats early. My two have done well developmentally but not that fast! Am pleased that them being small and prem hasn't held them up at all. In fact they seem to be doing better at some things than their bigger friends. Both close to walking at nearly a year, but I guess being small and light is a bonus for that. J has worked out the stairs and H Almost. So bathtime now involves me following them up the stairs, good way to wear them out and save my back!!

Grim day today, but got out for my run with friend and had massage ready for race on sunday. Boys at childminder today while I do stuff for hubbie's business and my diploma. I have also looked at part-time nannies as they cost around 7-8 quid an hour the same as I pay the childminder for the two of them. My other option as childminder can only give me the one day is a nursery which costs £5.50 per hour x2 plus food at £2 each per day. Is this expensive? Seems is to me. It is a lovely nursery, but I think they are relying on the rich Mums round here which doesn't include me!!! Have reserved a place for Jan for half day weds but we'll see!

09/10/2007 at 14:50
No idea about giving blood and breast feeding mrs o, can't see why it should a be a problem though. I am too small to give blood although would love to as I had to have blood in my late teens, be nice to give some back!!!
09/10/2007 at 19:43

janie tri - glad you enjoyed your hols.  is carol's page 3-girl position still working for you and ted?

our nursery is osborne childrens nursery, off chepstow road.  wrong side of town for you i think.  there seem to be many more over your side of town than there are over here, and some seem really good so i don't think you will have trouble finding one.  a new one has just opened up by junction 28 of the M4, which is where my husband's work is about to move to.  we were going to have a look at it, but we decided not to in the end because jacob is so happy where he is and i thought i was bound to think the new place was lovely because it was all new and shiny, but i really don't think jacob could be happier or more stimulated anywhere else.

my little baby isn't a baby any longer! he's moved up into playroom 1 from the baby room one day a week.  i think they just wanted his baby room place for another baby so have moved him up early, but he loves it.  apparently he spent 45 minutes 'creating' a collage with bits of paper and glue.  i find this hard to believe as the most creative thing he does at home is eat crayons.  but it is incredible!  they do come on in leaps and bounds when they are copying bigger children.

09/10/2007 at 20:38

Childminders are generally £3-4 per hour which works out cheaper and their hours are more flexible too. 

I agree with them coming home having done all kinds of things - we have James' first pictures (dots/marks) he will not do that for me!

JT I think often with teaching if you want to go part time they ask if you can find someone to share with - to make it really difficult.  It is worth finding out though.  I got exactly what I wanted.  Even if you work out your full time and look for parttime elsewhere to keep your full maternity pay

10/10/2007 at 08:04

our nursery is 26.50 a day (i think it's less if you are full-time) and that includes all food / drink but not nappies or wipes.  i think that's pretty cheap though.  it was the cheapest we looked at but that's not the reason we went there. 

i was paying 30 quid a day at a childminders initially (3 quid an hour, and was taking j's food there as well because she wouldn't do dairy-free and i hadn't introduced cow's milk at that point) but i didn't get on with her.  i don't know whether it's common with childminders or not but she wouldn't follow my routine.  all the children irrespective of age were fed and slept all at the same time.  so she had jacob having one sleep between 10am and noon and then another one between 5 and 6pm.  that was no good for him because he then wouldn't go to bed for me in the evening.  i wanted him to have a nap in the morning for half an hour and his main sleep after lunch, but she wouldn't accommodate that.  she also wouldn't give him his milk feeds when i wanted him to have them and decided he didn't need his mid-afternoon milk at all!

so we moved him to a nursery where they do (or at least they say they do!) everything as i want it.  yesterday he woke up very early for him (6am) and when i picked him up in the evening, he'd only had half an hour's sleep all day!  apparently after 30 mins he was up and bouncing in his cot.  i think he just doesn't want to miss out on the action there.  at home, he will sleep for hours after lunch but i always wake him up after an hour and a half or so so that we can go and do stuff!

on a totally different topic, is anyone else doing waterbabies with their babies?  we have been doing it for almost a year now and jacob absolutely adores it, as do i.  he is now so desperate to be off swimming on his own.  if i let him go, he sinks, comes up to the surface, thrashes around, sinks, comes up to the surface, thrashes around and then when i put my hand under his tummy to try to support him for a while so he can breathe he just wriggles away and wants to go again.  it's incredible! it should only be a few more months before he can learn to go solo properly on his back.

10/10/2007 at 08:41

DM waterbabies sounds great.  James loves the water but we have not gone to anything formal yet.  I will look into that though.

Sleepwise James sleeps in the car on the way home from the childminders.  I worried this would put out his normal sleep but it hasn't.  he sleeps very little when he is there, as you say, doesn't want to miss out on the action. 

10/10/2007 at 09:59

Have to say my childminder is great, but she won't do any food except for things like scrambled eggs. She does everything I ask. The boys don't sleep so well there, but thats fine really as they sleep well for me the next day. Only trouble is she can't give me anymore days. She is only 5 doors away which is great!

So i'm guessing that £5.50 an hour plus food is pretty pricey its around £44 per day 9-5, plus the £2 for food as well. Fab nursery though, guess we'll see. Others are miles away, literally a good 20 min car journey about 15 miles. Other closer ones about 5 miles away don't have a very good reputation.

My two are starting at a local swimming pool. One of the mums from the village toddler group runs her own swimming businesss for kids. They are going after christmas.

10/10/2007 at 11:02

JT - yes, our nursery is cheap.  the thing is, it's also really good!  it's quite small (only 25 places in total) but they have a full-time teacher for the pre-schoolers, as well as programmes to help with speech for kids who are struggling.  they do music sessions with them, messy play every day, and all the standard stuff like themes /dressing up / festivals and stuff.  even for the babies, there is structured play around themes.  some of the places i looked at were truly dire in comparison.  i don't really understand why it's so cheap, because the quality and consistency of care is excellent.  all the staff know everything that jacob has been doing that day (even the ones not in his room), how much he's eaten, how long he's slept (and i get a report every day detailing what he's done, how many poos, what consistency (!) etc).  they are pretty strict there - all the staff are known as 'miss *surname*' etc, and they all wear uniform.  but jacob seems to love it - and i haven't found too much to complain about.

if you are thinking of waterbabies, see if you can get into the class at Maes Ebbw (special needs) school.  It's a hydrotherapy pool - REALLY warm, and lovely and small.  And not too far for you to go.  I go to Chepstow on a Sunday now, but there are fewer classes for the advanced class and beyond, so we don't have as much choice.

I also take Jacob to Joe Jingles in Rhiwderin on a Friday morning (music session - or just an excuse for him to hit me in the shin with a triangle! Ouch!)  He loves it.  You can take them from about 6 months or so, so a while yet before Ted could go, if you are into that sort of thing!

10/10/2007 at 13:46

Sadly nothing is cheap around here. Too many rich mummies!!! The rest of us have to pay or stay at home!

My two go to music groups and they love it. We also go to soft play and the toddler group in the village is great. We also go to a rhyme time in the library every friday, which is only 20 mins but its free and the boys love it. We keep ourselves very busy!!

10/10/2007 at 14:04

MM - i should imagine the only way to cope with two nearly toddlers is to get out lots! we are out all the time now - it's the only way to control jacob because he gets bored and rampages around hitting the telly and swinging on the fireguard if we spend too long at home (even though he has 70 million toys and books!).  soft play is great, but i find that jacob gets a bit bored in the toddler areas now and is still too little to manage the bigger kids areas.  i end up trying to drag him round the bigger bits and killing my back in the process from stooping and lifting him at awkward angles! need to be fitter / stronger, i guess!

Jacob LOVES going to the library.  i don't really know why because the library we go to in newport is pretty dire, but he loves it anyway. i think he just loves pulling all the books off the shelves and running around.

JT - when Ted gets a bit bigger, there is cheap soft play in the Tennis Centre at Spytty Park (or should I say 'Newport International Sports Village'?!) on a Monday and Wednesday morning (10-12).  It's only £1.85 for up to two hours' play.  It's not as good as Eeezeeplay (or however you spell it) or Jump (which you pay a fortune to get into!), but as soon as he can crawl / walk, it's a good way to pass an hour or so and to talk to other mums. It doesn't have a ball pool but it is a big area for them to run around in, and has a bouncy castle and soft crash mats / climbing things/ tunnels etc.

10/10/2007 at 21:53

I would love to go to waterbabies but at £24 a session for the both of them I just cant justify it... also i would need someone to go with me.  My friend did it with her twins and has got an ace photo of them swimming underwater together! 

I have contacted the local college to see if I can get a childcare student (they do 1 or 2 days a week with you) thinking that it will enable me to go swimming, music groups etc that are difficult to do with 2 babies alone, and maybe get some sleeping/housework/decorating/running etc done.  They cant be alone with the babies but I figure they could walk laps of the park while I run!

I would also love to do signing classes with them, I use makaton signing at work and it makes sense to sign to babies to help thier communication.  Anyone got any experiance of using it with babies?

11/10/2007 at 08:40

Hetty, I use Makaton at work too and wanted to use it with James.  However all I seemed to use was good boy and occasionally the odd sign here and there.  My sister gave me the baby sign video course but I have not had time to look at it and I think it might have videos and we have no video player anymore.

My sister used some signs with her 4 kids.  I guess it helps with the particularly important words - more, milk, drink, food, sleep, toilet early on. 

I started Sing and Sign last week.  I enjoyed it.  the signs are taken frm BSL and Makaton then sometimes adjested to make them baby friendly.  I never found a music group that I really liked so this is what I thought would work for me as I love the signing.  None of the babies sign in the lessons at all, it would purely be with practise at home.  As the teacher said they learn to sign early on with waving goodbye - we encourage that and say bye bye with it.  

11/10/2007 at 10:24

Mitchie Moo, nothing is cheap nursery-wise round our way either.  Had my mum not volunteered to have Kit two days per week, the nursery we were planning on putting him in would have worked out at £560ish a month for two days per week.  A session (either morning or afternoon) is about £35 and all the local nurseries specify a minimum of 4 sessions per week otherwise they won't accept the child.  SO expensive.  It was a lovely nursery and all the children seemed very happy and stimulated, but at 7 months I'm glad that he's with family as I know hubby and my mum will follow his routine and feed him when I want him fed etc.  At nursery he just wouldn't have that one-to-one attention.  I do want him to go to a playgroup or nursery when he's a bit older as I think it's important for developing social skills.

Thanks for encouragement on the running front.  I'll persevere with building the endurance but am surprised at how long it's taking.  It's not the stamina - lungs and heart are fine! - but my legs seem to get really stiff even towards the end of an 8-mile run and are quite tight and sore afterwards ... of course, I ought to be stretching but somehow just never seem to find/make the time!  Had planned to run at lunchtime from work yesterday, then ended up having to go to a meeting so ran 4.5 miles when I got home, after bathing Kit and putting him to bed.  Neither lunchtimes nor evenings are ideal but as hubby says, I'll make it work if I want it enough.  By the time I've got changed and then showered afterwards a lunch hour is almost too short for a decent run - if it's only 3 or 4 miles then I may as well do that in the evening.  Think I might end up running home from work once a week when I need to fit in a longer run.  It's about 12 miles but I could also take the Tube part of the way and run the rest if I wanted to something a bit shorter.  I just need to decide whether or not I really want to do the marathon because at the moment I'm still unsure I'm 100% committed to finding a way of doing the training.

11/10/2007 at 13:56

I would start the training Minks, see how it works and whether you are still enjoying it before you decide whether to do it, you can defer. I would pick some 10ks to aim for before xmas give yourself a goal, and take it from there. I sometimes have to get up at 6am to get my run in when hubbie is leaving early and its too dark here now to run a long way at night. I am also not sure how I will manage to fit marathon training in, also just the energy required, these two exhaust me now, but like you may start to build some miles and see how I go. You could always do a half in the spring and go for an autumn marathon for a change. Your hubbie is right if you want it you will find a way!

I have signed up for home start Hetty to help with swimming. Am fine now the boys are crawling at most things now except swimming they won't let you in, so have to at weekends with hubbie which is so busy. Hence we are going privately next year, its about £50 each for a 12 week course, which isn't too bad.

11/10/2007 at 14:34

I think that's probably the way I'm going to go, Mitchie Moo.  Start the training and see how it goes.  I think I'll draw up a bit of a schedule to take me from now until Christmas so I can get the long run up to at least 15 miles by then.  Running in the morning isn't really an option for me unless I do it on the days I'm at home, but even then I need to be showered, dressed and ready by 7am if hubby's going to work.  On days I am at work I'm up at 6:15am anyway and am not prepared to get up any earlier than that to go for a run!

As you say, it's not just fitting the training in around everything else, it's the amount of energy you use being a mum!  At least when I'm at work I get to sit down for most of the day - when I'm at home my bum barely touches a chair from the beginning of the day to the end!

11/10/2007 at 19:56

Hello everyone - another graduate of the pregnancy thread here! Thought it was about time I stopped lurking there and came here now John-Paul is coming up to 3 weeks old. Nice to see so many familiar forumites (and some not-so-familiar too!).

This will only be a teeny post as I fear that I may get a JP alarm before too much longer...but he's with Daddy having his bottle. I have started expressing in the mornings when I have LOADS of milk, and then Ben gives it to him in the evening. The problem was that from about 6 pm, he was wanting to be fed every hour or even every 45 mins, but wouldn't stay on for longer than 5 mins. Turns out that my milk supply was really low in the evening. But now I've started expressing, it's increased, and we're both much happier! I was well and truly pooped before!!! And he was weighed today and he's back to his birth weight (a truly horrifying 10lbs 6 and a half oz - don't believe anything you read about runners having lighter babies!!!).

JT - that sounds horrid. Have asked Ben about it (physio) and he said it usually goes away on its own. Also rest it, but keep moving (maybe walking if running hurts). And you could try looking at the shoes you're wearing (not just running shoes, but everyday footwear) - a physio could look at you when you were running and then perhaps try some orthoses. Hope this helps!

Right, off to sort out a little pong...

11/10/2007 at 22:09

mmmm think they got mine too, or could just be sleep deprivation!

My feet have grown, or rather spread too... none of my "nice" shoes fit now and its definately time for some new trainers.  Odd bits have me have expanded, had to buy a new coat as my back is much broader, must be where my ribs expanded.  Tjose babies have got a lot to answer for!

Congrats Tatty...wow what a whopper.  Milla is only 10 10 now at 3 months!  I had the same prob with evening milk and a bottle worked wonders!

11/10/2007 at 22:49
Evening all

I'm a another graduate of the Pregnant Runners Forum whose been lurking around this forum waiting to transfer over!

Megan was born by emergency c-section on 3rd October weighing 8lbs 3oz. She has already managed to scare the holy crap out of her parents by having a dusky episode on her first night home from hospital and we ended up back there 4 hours after we left. However, all seems OK and we were discharged again today - so its a bit of a nervous night for DH and I.

Any other mums on here who have struggled to bond with their baby having had a section. I'm finding it very difficult to make the connection that Megan is mine and I actually gave birth to her (albeit in a surgical procedure) and wondered if this is more common amongst those that deliver by section?

Have started breastfeeding - but am not enjoying the experience at all. Infact last night Megan fed every hour and wouldn't sleep at all. I was quite demented by it all and just feel that bottles might help us gain a bit more control over her feeding. Any advice welcome from those who had a really tough start with breastfeeding and how they took it forward (be it by going to bottles, or by keeping on at the breastfeeding).

Anyway, looking forward to chatting with some familiar graduates of the PR forum and also with a lot of new folk who seem to have very sensible advice.

Righto, am off to try and grab a few hours kip before madam wakes up again looking for food!!

401 to 420 of 45,823 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.