Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

42,201 to 42,220 of 45,524 messages
24/07/2013 at 09:43

i am pretty sure the maggots were from the cat food i had scraped in there. flies probably laid eggs in it and they then hatched in the foodwaste bin while i was away. i opened the lid and they all fell out. Bleurgh

kids gone off to T's today so am all . amusing when he collected them tho as they are going to eurodisney and he had told them it was today. he must have checked tickets last night and realised it's not till tomorrow that they fly. god he never gets any better!! his mother has organised it as a 70th birthday treat for the whole family, so there are loads of them going!

24/07/2013 at 12:46

So....those of you with little Eric aged kids with inhalers (17m) or those with nursing or doctor qualifications - help!  He started coughing Mon night which is nothing unusual, he seems to constantly have a cold.  Yesterday he was fine all day, running around like his normal, happy self, eating ok, then in the evening it became obvious he was really quite wheezy.  His little chest and tummy were really working extra hard to get air in and out and you could hear him a mile away.  So I called work, made a drs appt and took him in. 

Dr diagnosed allergy type things (new dr, not seen before) said there was no infection but he was obviously wheezy.  So he has one of those inhalers with a paediatric space mask thing.  I took him to his child minders and we attempted it, but everytime we tried he struggled so much that the chamber thing fell to bits or came off his face, and there was no way it would stay on for a whole minute.  So in the end we just shoved the inhaler straight in his mouth like an adult would do and did 2 puffs and hoped for the best!  Am going to try and find a you tube video but any advice would be appreciated!

Meanwhile I was 2 hrs late for work, but they were understanding.

24/07/2013 at 17:14

We had that with Archie at the same time Caro. Is it a yellow one? If so there's a flicky bit at the nose part of the mask that needs to go back and for 6 tt Imes to get it working. Poor mite, just how Archie got diagnosed (well on top of hideousness at 10 weeks so was to be expected!). Sometimes it's a bit like brushing teeth.... Nightmare! Try playing pretend elephants with it, for some reason that works here! Putting inhaler straight in mouth  will probably only go in his mouth and not in lungs as the breathinto use an inhaler is actually quite complicated and lots of adults can't get it right. Ironic given what they're prescribed for...

24/07/2013 at 17:15

Aargh sounds like you have a volumatic.  They're pants with small children.  You can get the yellow aero chambers for about £10-15. A pain to buy yourself but so much less hassle....

24/07/2013 at 17:30

Caro - I'd go back to the doc and say its not working and can you  have a baby one, we've got one which I keep in the car for emergencies.  Interesting about the wheezing as Aidan was coughing in the night for the first time in ages last night so we did his inhalers this morning (he did ask for it last night too but I don't generally unless he coughs quite a lot which seems to be working for us so far).  The Volumatic one is a nightmare if they struggle which is what Aidan used to do when we tried to do his night doses.

The doctor we have did say you could puff into the chamber and if you split it and held it near their nose/mouth they would get some of it but I have my doubts about that one.

Hope E is better soon xx

24/07/2013 at 17:38

Wonderful child minder found a brand new unopened one, which sounds like an aero chamber from her description, and so we now have that.  She gave him his afternoon dose in that and hubby will try the evening one.  But sounds so much more sensible for young kids as it doesn't come apart in many pieces!  Is there a reason the big one will have been prescribed or do they do the same thing?

Thanks for tips.  I'm truely hoping its not a long term thing, but to do with the heat, humidity, pollution, season etc.

So does Aidan only take inhalers occ now?  and how about Archie?

24/07/2013 at 19:39

Cost I think Caro! To be fair though, as an adult I find a volumatic much more effective when having an attack as you can breathe in and out of it where the adult aero chambers aren't so easy.  Archie has a brown inhaler twice a day but rarely needs his blue inhaler. We tried to drop to once a day recently but that didnt work as we got runny noses back and wheezing when exerted. But we were warned he would most likely be asthmatic when he had bronchiolitis as the two are so closely linked.

Speaking as someone who had asthma as a child and whose mother refused to recognise it, it's far better to treat it, the doses are very low, rather than be the child that can't join in properly in the playground as they wheeze when everyone carries on...

24/07/2013 at 19:51

The hospital here prefer the massive ones and said they were more effective, however that only applies if you have a baby who doesn't mind being medicated!

I think since the two hospital episodes last summer we have got the meds right with the gp, he had one wheezing attack at home which we managed with inhalers and then antibiotics for the underlying infection.  Since then there have been a few coughs and colds so I was keeping up with the inhalers while that was happening but 

24/07/2013 at 19:53

Basically with the aim of weaning him off which seems to be fine. 

hopefully he will grow out of it although as my brother has asthma and Alan has eczema I wouldn't be too surprised if he might be more long term with it.

24/07/2013 at 19:58

Yes London Camlo, but thanks for the thought! V kind. 

Caro - last time I took E to Pembrokeshire exactly that happened to him. He'd not had a cold for a while yet woke in the night with a hacking barking cough and wheezing terribly. I thought he was choking on something initially it sounded so awful. But as he wasn't going blue I figured it was just wheezing. We called GP and MHS DIRECT as was and saw a doc eventually. They said it was an allergy adding that "city children" often reacted this way to all the greenery there! They prescribed allergy stuff which helped a little but he improved as the week went on. 

My own GP suspected mild asthma and prescribed the inhaler which we have now but ironically have never used as E has never had the same symptoms since...... So who knows?! I guess just wait and see with eric - use the inhaler as best you can then see what develops over next few months? 

Kinsey - the bird poo made me smile. E runs his hands over all sorts of disgusting surfaces here in London then sucks his finger when he's tired. His hands are black sometimes. Grim. But he seems ok so far thankfully! 

24/07/2013 at 20:03

Interestingly loratadine (Clarityn)has stopped me producing the gunk that kicked off again about a month ago. Wonder if the pollen is very bad this year? Seeing consultant next week so will be interested to know.

gutted by the name choice of Kate and William.  Guess what I wanted for a boy...

24/07/2013 at 20:11

We struggled like mad with the volumatic and aerochambers but Archie would sit like a dream for nursery staff!! Best tip was to see if from his perspective - big thing going over your face is blimming scary. Luckily we had a few so they became part of the toy box too and teddy, me, daddy had (pretend) puffs before Archie every day. Ours was also covered with stickers pretty quickly too. Puffing straight into mouth is generally not worth it. Sounds like classic allergy type asthma though! 

Boo to kids going on holiday without you CM! 

Just debating whether to enterAberystwyth sprint tri (open water) given it is only 8 weeks away, I have never tried swimming in the sea and bike hasn't seen action for at least 18 months,.....

24/07/2013 at 20:22

Why don't you see how your swimming is in the pool Camlo? If you're feeling strong then you should be fine. And often you can be helped by the current in a sea swim too . My favourite try is Tuska in Porthcawl. If you get the bug definitely try that next year 

24/07/2013 at 20:39

Camlo, he has also started opening the bin and eating things out of it, urgh!

24/07/2013 at 21:48

Don't let him near CM's bin then Kinsey

Annoying about the name choice JT - although would have been worse if you'd just named  boy that - everyone would still assume that's why you'd chosen it! How many weeks are you now?

We have just go a monkey clock (like a gro clock) for Matilda and had a great first morning but this morning I had to take her back to bed about 8 times between 5am and 7am! Hoping she wakes a bit later tomorrow so that she doesn't have to wait so long - or even better goes back to sleep!! I guess it will take a while to get into the habit of it. She has started coming into bed with me every morning which is fine at 6.30 but not so much at 5am!

Feeling a bit depressed as this continued inability to exercise is causing me to start putting on weight - I'm just no good at monitoring what I eat because I've always been able to balance it out with exercise. Really need to cut out snacking on crap! Although part of me thinks its going to get worse before it gets better so just wait until after op and things have improved and then get stuck in. Lucky its winter that's all I can say!!!

24/07/2013 at 22:02

Boo Hoggle . I find eat really well in work but dreadfully at home. Think I need to start making a packed lunch for home too!  I'm 14 weeks now Hoggle, time is flying!

Ted went to Beaver camp tonight. Was quite settled to see my excited little boy going for his first camp until son of stupid mother, (who kept saying in front of the children how scary camp would be, erm no, be quiet and go away) announced Tigger was going to look after him all the time as he'd need it. Ted's face fell and I could see concern kick in, really hoping he's kept away from him!  After being happy there'd be no home sickness now I'm not so sure!

24/07/2013 at 22:06

Ha, have moved the bin to the utility room, so now I stand around like an idiot with a handful of rubbish where the bin used to be!

Found two top molars had come through recently, was thinking it was just the bottom ones but must have been four at the same time which explains the grumpiness!

Hoggle, I am not getting any exercise either really.  Lacking in motivation, hoping summer hols will revive me a bit but I sympathise with the snacking, I am eating far too much really.

JT, that is annoying about the name, wonder if you are having a girl??

my brother and his fiancé are due on the 1st Jan, looking forward to even more babies next year!

24/07/2013 at 22:12

My sister is due almost the same time Kinsey!

24/07/2013 at 22:14

I am quite excited Hoggle, but I can also off load all my baby stuff onto them ha ha!

24/07/2013 at 22:18

Caro - Nicky got his inhaler around Christmas time, so when he was about 2.5yrs.  We've got the yellow one with teddy bears on it and you plug the inhaler in one end with the rubbery mask thing on the other.  Is that the one you have?  It was hard to start with but I found Nicky loved listening to me counting to 10 (I think they did it in the hospital), so I did one puff and counted to ten in a half whisper (with lots of expression!) and it seemed to keep him interested, then a second puff and the same counting, then took it away to shake it and repeated the process.  Don't know if this is any help to you!

Boo to silly parents JT, hope Ted has ignored it all and is having a great time!

My mum is visiting so I could be quite stressed by Sunday...!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.