Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

42,381 to 42,400 of 45,472 messages
22/02/2014 at 19:15

My friend is in tooting Pip. She has two little ones. Her name is Sarah Fisher (tho actually i suspect she probably still calls herself Hardy!) she has mairi and Isobel. She's not a runner however. You never know though, you might know her thru nursery or sth. She says the same re the schools 

22/02/2014 at 20:08

Glad the holiday went well Vixo, though boo to poor Isabel being ill.

I've never been zapped...I used to use the hair removal cream on my bikini line but since I had kids I just don't have 15 mins to wait around and apply/remove the cream, so I've got a bikini razor (Gillette I think) which does the job if you don't look too closely, and I can do it in the shower!  Legs needed shaving today but no time as I squeezed in a 2 mile jog before going out for lunch with MIL - felt a bit chesty still and head didn't feel brilliant, but I managed.  Just tried out my foam roller for the first time .

CM- meant to say, it is weird for people to share a room with your daughter who you've never met and, more weirdly, that E's never met.  I would never expect my kids to do that - they'd hate it!  

Lunch out was nice but I'm TOTM and MIL always gets on my nerves at this time of the month!  Sophie was trying to fish a piece of lime out of her glass of water, so MIL stuck a fork in which had fish on, leaving fish floating in S's water!   I commented and she said "if you hadn't said anything she'd never have noticed" Grr !  Anyway, just me being grumpy probably !

Lovely sunshine today though still cold and windy.  I even walked to the shop just to enjoy it a bit more as we spent the afternoon stuck in a pub with very slow service!

22/02/2014 at 22:10

Oh yuck to fish in sophie's water

havent found out how E's "sleepover" went but T did say she had thrown up in her bedroom doorway this morning. Hahaha. Not haha to the spew (poor lamb) but haha to the sleepover guests having to step over it. Was just a random spew apparently. She has been fine all day. 

22/02/2014 at 22:54

More of a mwahaha I would say CM 

23/02/2014 at 06:54

I go away for a few days and the thread has descended further from giraffe knackers!! Amuse bush hahahaha classic!!

Ohhhh the karma that heads in T's direction is priceless CM!!! I agree sleepover was weird esp not mentioning it but perhaps not surprising considering some of the other things he finds normal - ever tempted to drop an anonymous note saying run for the hills?!!

WHat year did you do Berlin Pip? It was 27 degrees when I ran it - Halile Gebreselassie (obviously spelt wrong) won I think poss in a record time can't remember which year but was approx. 2009 I think. Great race!

Had a lovely weekend away, nice to see Dad - he looks 10 years younger since having his hip done and way happier! Mum is doing incredibly well - I picked her up from hospital on way back from my sisters - 4 days post hip replacement!! She reckons it is way easier this time round and hardly hurts at all - shows how bad it was I guess!

Anyway lots of fun time with my sister, Matilda and her cousin had a blast together. Walked in to a row with hubby when I got home - getting increasingly frustrated with how his stress about work is being channelled into the rest of his life - not sure if he's aware of it but I get shot for mentioning that it might!! Gah, forget the money, I need him to get a job for my sanity more than anything!

Off again tomorrow for a very short trip - away 1 night and have to be back for a lunchtime meeting on Tue. Hubby less than thrilled but frankly he has the easy deal on this one - I get to interview a whole bunch of pissed off staff to establish what needs to be done to improve performance, motivation, unity etc - SIGH!!!! I thought sport was meant to be fun!!! 

23/02/2014 at 09:06
(((Hoggle))) totally get u on grumpy out of work hubby, mine was the same when he was out of work. Coupled with fact he told me his uncle had huntingtons at same time ( he actually has parkinsons ), I had completely convinced myself he had huntingtons too due to the mood swings. Aarrggh Men!
PG3
23/02/2014 at 11:41

Hoggle, I am pretty sure I did Berlin in 2009 as well. HG won it that year and it was 27. I finished in just under 4h30.  Hopefully you didn't see someone running with one thigh hanging out!!  Great race though.

I also get you on the husband out of work.  I'm awful if i am out of work and job hunting. I get really stressed, grumpy, bored, frustrated etc etc.  Some people are ok with it but I'm not.

EF - I don't know your friend but it's always worth a try!  I hope the lack of hot water isn't too tough.

23/02/2014 at 12:15
Good news is I have minor earache and sore throat, so that explains why Friday's 14 miler felt like 20. Got 10,12, 14 & 14 mile long runs to do over next 4 wks before it starts ramping up to 16-20+, so hopefully b feeling easier by then.
23/02/2014 at 14:40

I did Berlin that year too! How funny! It was my second or third Berlin. Kinda lost track a bit. I like it hot though so didn't mind the temperature. Hope you feel better soon Tangy. Sounds a bit how I felt last week. Throat was sore up into my ear. Not nice. 

did run for an hour mostly off road y'day. Near my parents in the Cotswolds - from being a total road runner in London I am now loving running in the fields. Amazing how the time zips by when you have nice scenery to look at. Mind you, I do kinda miss the flat fast peaceful thames path. Esepcially early in the morning when river like a millpond and sometimes misty. I do miss London quite a lot. 

Glad you had a good holiday Vixo. Can well imagine the cost of skiing. We've only been once- to Romania. I think our whole week cost the same as one day at Mirabel or somewhere!! 

Well, as I felt ok y'day on my run I'm gonna give the half next week a go. It will be SLOW but as long as I enjoy it that's main thing. I'll be happy with just finishing and a time under 2.15 will be a bonus! My sub 1.50 will have to wait till later in the year! 

23/02/2014 at 14:41

PipG - were you on the runners world Berlin 2009 thread in prep for the race? Just wonder if we've been following each other round the forums?! 

23/02/2014 at 15:30

In the depths of despair to quote Anne Shirley. Stupid work. Stupid money. Stupid materialistic self who likes nice things so needs money to pay for them. 

Can't find anything to wear tomorrow and can't wash anything now as won't dry in time esp in this sub zero temp. trying to label fraser's clothes for nursery and also need to locate my farting blackberry from bottom of old handbag and charge it. damn damn damn.  If only I was part time - might be fractionally less painful. What possessed me to go back on a sodding Monday so I have whole week to endure. Bugger. Bugger. 

Need a career change. Need child friendly hours but need to earn enough to live in expensive city and in nice house there.  not huge house. Ok with my 3 bed 50s box. Damn it I don't want to go to bed tonight cos that's it. Work work work til I'm 70. Dull dull dull.  Aaaaaaargh. 

Might go to Krispy Kreme shop to try to feel better!

23/02/2014 at 15:34

Can't go as hubby off to hospital to visit mil and he took the big car with the decent car seats. bollox. Maybe I will play some lotto online instead. Last gasp attempt to win some cash. 

23/02/2014 at 15:36

Watching the boy roll around on the play gym. He's too cute and so easy. I'm so lucky to have him. Why do I have to let someone else look after him for most of the week. Arse. 

23/02/2014 at 15:41
((EF))
23/02/2014 at 15:45

Oh no EF, I feel your pain. This weekend seems to have conspired against you

Was it Vixo who said the anticipation is always worse than the reality?  Probably very true here. Maybe my roughly 1 week (but dealing with some work emails while still in hospital) maternity 'leave' was the way to go after all

Funny how many of you ran Berlin the same year. I can safely say I wasn't there!

Just chilling watching Lego ninjago while O naps and we wait until time to go to park for Max's friend's birthday party. Quote from Mr TT 'what a load of tosh!' and I have to agree but is Max's latest favourite. Might have to find some figurines and build them into this year's birthday cake. 

23/02/2014 at 16:20

I'm sure the work part will be ok tho it's a bit unknown having taken on this new role but the travel will be crap and I'm nervous about working in open plan as I've had my own office for 9 yrs. At least I will still have it when I am in Edinburgh. Trouble is, as I'm sure you can imagine, I'm not a terribly quiet person. Nor am I tidy. And I'm going to the quiet side of the office. eek. 

i just wish I didn't have to leave them for 10hrs a day. I don't mind some time but that seems horribly excessive. 

PG3
23/02/2014 at 16:32

Brookie - I sure was.  I met up with a few of the others from the thread in the pub afterwards.  Seems like we are race stalking each other!  Glad you are doing the half.  My first half back after my first baby was about 2.25 and I managed to get that down to 1.57 in less than 6 months.  I think it's great to put a stake in the ground and have something to measure your improvement against.  I'd love to do a sub 1h50 but my fastest was Wokingham last year at 1.54 so it's possible but requires work and time.

EF - Good luck going back.  Hopefully it won't be as bad as you think.  My return wasn't.  I quite enjoyed adult conversation, being able to go to the toilet in peace and lunchtime runs/gym sessions (I know I am lucky with this one as not everyone can).  I work in an open plan office and I am horribly untidy.  Just keep your mess to your section and it will be ok.  As for finding a job with child friendly hours, let me know if you find one and I will apply too.  It's not easy.

I've sat on the sofa for the entire day, hence all my posts.  Feel like a huge beached whale!

23/02/2014 at 16:33

Hugs EF ((())) your words echo the thoughts of women all over the country - I wonder how many of you are going through the same ordeal tomorrow?  It sucks but your children will have a lovely time being entertained all day and still have cuddles from you in the morning,at bedtime and at weekends.  The time you have together will be all the more special and happy, instead of being a tired, bored grumpy mum like me!  AND you get to make yourself look nice for work instead of slobbing around in whatever you can lay your hands on, and you get to feel important because you have a "proper" job (unfair as it is that SAH mums don't get such recognition).  And you (hopefully) won't have money worries.   Convinced?!  I doubt it as your are a true mum and the guilt (unfortunately) never goes away for some.  But you have taken care in choosing where to send your children so you know they will be well-cared for and have lots to tell you each day about what they've been up to.

Roll on tomorrow morning when it will all seem ok. ((())) (again!)

23/02/2014 at 16:35

And remember that no job has to be forever, there are always options if the job turns out not to be what you thought it was going to be.

23/02/2014 at 18:48
Echo what everyone else has said EF. Feels like last day of freedom and a long slog till retirement. But you never know how things may pan out. And at least you do still have a job. (Bright side?)

Just back from taking e swimming. T was at guard of honour with j. She was wearing full make up. Applied (according to e) by new gorlfriend's 11yr old. Including mascara. So that will be the other girl's mascara. Who has she shared that with then? Never mind mascara on a 4yr old. FFS. And e tells me it has been on since fri. And it is still v obvious. I am working myself up about it. Have texted him asking him to buy make up for her if she wants it but not to let her share with the other girl. I can't stop him letting her wear it (although I wish I could) but FFS. 3 days in someone else's makeup.

Thank god I get them back on Tuesday and then I have 2 days of 1:1 (while T has the other child) and then they are mine till the following weds. Thank god.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.