Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

42,381 to 42,400 of 43,664 messages
Camlo    pirate
10/01/2015 at 19:44

Haha my summary....starting just before xmas... 

Best news was the safe arrival of baby Hoggle, some new jobs complete with nightmare staff, some awful commutes which cost a bomb and take hours, awesome races with a few podium places and age categories, fab prizes won (RF  ironman package!), some lovely hubby stories and rather a few more not so lovely ones.... House packing and house buying, boilers breaking and drains backing up. Some poorly friends, relatives and kids, some good test results (people and dogs)  but a few sitting on the injury bench still. Diets and schedules. cats and rats. Holiday plans and newbies starting school....  NO new babies, No plans for any (I think). 

10/01/2015 at 19:45

Brookie - that needs to be my NY resolution too Not been spending as much time on FB as usual lately due to work but still on it too much really. Don't do Twitter or Instagram which is a good thing I think. Latest obsession is ebay (i know, I am so last decade!) and selling stuff. What Ben doesn't know won't hurt him, hahaha.

Anyway, about that. Things are much much better - it seems almost 'normal'. He's been much like his old nice self and we had a good (very quiet) Christmas. We do still have a long way to go and I'm not ruling out a split if things don't continue to improve, but so far so good. I'm doing a lot more for me - like lots of work on my books, running (of course!), reading and spending time with people I like. I'm not going to cancel things just on the off chance he 'might' be around on certain days either, which is a mistake I've made in the past. He's very busy this month and is only in the country for 10 days, but things should quieten down after that. Being back in Coventry is much better too, even if he doesn't like it (getting told what to do by his boss, you see). 

10/01/2015 at 19:53

Oh Camlo, you do make me chuckle Now I don't have to name check everyone!

But wow, how windy was it today?! I was blissfully unaware that G's pushchair had blown across Morrison's car park while I strapped her into the car!!  Nice man saved it for me  

Fab time Caro  

Glad the new job is going well, JG.

My running has stalled a bit lately - not good as I have my ultra on 1st March... Basically I had two weeks off during affairgate, then did three miles the next week, then back to it (sort of) with 22, then got halfway through another week and fell ill with a lurg I can't shake off Well, I am better now, but it's been two weeks of very little running (about 4 runs, max of 6 miles). I think my body had probably had enough after not eating or sleeping and still BF. Not a good plan. Dropped 10lbs in just over a week too, but 4 of that has gone back on since Xmas Trying to eat well even thiugh I am craving crap - but then again I guess I need the calories!!! 

Camlo    pirate
11/01/2015 at 08:41

Lloks like CC is still walking and not far from CP1 now. I hope she rests a bit before heading out as stage 2 is a killer.... 

11/01/2015 at 09:16

Is stage 2 further?  I read something about it but have forgotten the details!  Well the sun is shining for my run this morning - I was ready to not complain about any awful weather I had to run through this morning, given what CC has been through all night, but it doesn't look too bad!

11/01/2015 at 09:27
Stage 2 is very long I think. I'm sure she'll rest - she'll have to won't she?! I read some of the race reports and was stunned. Before reading them I assumed she'd probably finish, because why would you enter something you may well not get through, but having read them I realise it would be absolutely incredible if she managed to finish...and that she's pretty incredible to have even started the crazy thing!!
Edited: 11/01/2015 at 17:36
11/01/2015 at 18:02

I have been really busy all wk end - friends staying, panto etc, now I feel the need to read the race reports an start tracking her!  Sounds seriously hardcore!!

11/01/2015 at 19:15

Yes it sounds incredible. I've been telling everyone I know about it and how amazing CC must be. Utterly hardcore. Off to read some race reports now from the comfort of my armchair by the fire! 

Oh, and had a brief skim read back. Huge congrats Hoggle. Freya is utterly gorgeous. Xxxx and onna saddrer note - Nurofen - golly you've been through the mill. Huge hugs and respect for staying strong throughout. Horrible horrible. ((()))

11/01/2015 at 20:48

Good thing I'm on maternity leave otherwise I'd be getting no work done!!! Had a squizz and its a seriously long way to the next proper checkpoint!!

Thanks Brookie (lovely to 'see you') - we love her! Cant believe she's 4 weeks old tomorrow!! I feel so conscious that she is my last baby so don't want to rush any of it and am trying to store away memories of this wee baby phase! 

We had a week down at the farm after Christmas which was lovely, lots more family time. Also got to briefly see my best friend who now lives in Australia. Shes one of those friends where nothing changes even when I don't see her for 2 years. She 10 weeks pregnant which is v exciting - hoping it means she come back to NZ more often.

We are enjoying a continuation of awesome summer weather. Never had this many sea swims this early on! Matilda is absolutely loving the sea which is so cool and luckily Freya is very portable (M was 6 month old in summer which is much harder to manage at the beach).

Most annoyingly my back is quite sore at the moment - first time since getting pregnant! Not ideal with a baby but my fault for not working out sooner that bad posture on couch while feeding is a bad move!! Improving now but slowly as cant rest it properly!! will be onto core exercises with a vengance soon!!

Too much name checking to get everything right - Nurofen, I am so glad you had a peaceful christmas and things are going well - good that you are being strong about what you expect and that new commute for hubby is helping!

Camlo    pirate
11/01/2015 at 22:08

My life is on hold until CC finishes..... It is sooooo far between checkpoints and each stage has its own challenges without the awful weather they are getting. So worried about her! 

Lovely to hear of some precious moments Hoggle but do look after your back x

Ran this morning and finished in the top half at XC but rushed home to check on CC! 

11/01/2015 at 22:19

Haha Camlo well done on such a good finish. None of us realised what an effect CC's race was going to have on us!

Keep warm and dry CC. You can do it!!

11/01/2015 at 23:30
Think the weather is to improve a bit for CC tomorrow aft, at least til evening anyway. So hopefully have a slightly easier time for part of leg 2. Esp with it being the longest leg.
12/01/2015 at 00:56

I had no idea it would be so friggin addictive - although its hard to imagine the weather from here when its sunny outside.

First day of maternity leave without Matilda - no offence kid but I have revelled in the quiet after 2 weeks of no daycare!

12/01/2015 at 10:23
Looks like CC and others at same stage as her have bn pulled out of the race, organisers est that they will not reach CP2 under the cut off time due to the weather conditions.
12/01/2015 at 10:36

I can't imagine how she will be feeling. but at least she is safe. and hopefully she won't be too broken physically. even if mentally and emotionally this will be hard. will you be back next year, CC? i'm not sure we can stand the anguish if you decide to go for it again

12/01/2015 at 12:10

Gutted for you CC but if it was a question of safety then hopefully the organisers have made the right decision.  Conditions do look horrendous, how unlucky to fall on such bad weather  although I don't suppose it was ever going to be particularly pleasant!

Yes been totally addicted to it and hubby now knows all about it, as do my running friends as I've been rabbiting on about it constantly!  I need to go back and read CC's posts pre-race with a different perspective...!

12/01/2015 at 13:28
Know what you mean JG. I DONT think I realised what a big deal or how hard it was gonna be. Wow. CC - U r a legend!!
12/01/2015 at 13:55
The guy at the front is still being held at CP3 and not allowed to continue any further due to the weather. Don't know how long that will continue b4 whole thing is cancelled.
Camlo    pirate
12/01/2015 at 22:27

Seems such a shame that the weather has ruined the event this year for so many. Hope CC is ok and gets home soon for some decent recovery. 

sat in bed with awful heart burn.... Must not be a pig and finish tea with a bowl of fruit and yoghurt, an orange and 2 ferrera rocher.

Archie has swimming lesson with school tomorrow, am keeping fingers crossed he doesnt have an accident In the pool. 

PG3
13/01/2015 at 00:19

hello

I've not been posting on here but trying to follow and keep up with CC.  I've been thiinking about her her loads, especially every time I heard the wind.  Such bad luck with the weather.  I guess they expect anything at this time of year but those winds were pretty damn bad.  I hope she is ok.

Brookie - welcome back. It's great to hear from you.  Glad you had a nice break with hubby.

Hoggle - glad the summer is a nice one.  I loved my time with just my baby when my daughter was in nursery.  It felt so peaceful. I loved even just being able to watch whatever I wanted (usually day time mindless cr*p).

Caro - any sign of the garmin?  Well done on your PR.

EF - I think you were asking about commuting costs.  Mine are almost nothing as i only go in twice a week and i usually cycle or run and maybe train one way.  I know we looked at buying in St Albans and the annual ticket was more than £4500.

My update is that we are still waiting to exchange and we are supposed to move 2 weeks on Thursday.  I've had to make plans based on the fact that it will happen.  I think i have sorted childcare based on a complicated plan of 2 x part time nannies, 1 nursery and possibly a childminder.  I think i have found a nanny who seems great.  She has a 9 month old son who she'll bring with her.  She is going to do 2 days a week for me.  Slightly depressing that my nanny on her 2 days a week will take home a similar pay to me.  I work 4 days but extended so get paid almost 90% and I earn quite good money.  By the time I have paid childcare and travel from our new house, it looks pretty measly.  Great. Only 3 more years of this.  The management at work is proving difficult.  hmmm.  My hand would be going up for redundancy if it came round.

Out of interest - does anyone's work have a childcare sickness policy as in what do you do when your kids are sick?  We have always had a relaxed attitude towards it and worked around it but its got much stricter now.  I checked our sickness policy but it didnt say anything about dependents/children.

Running going ok, i just cut back the miles and only ran 3x last week.  Foam roller is out.  Really need to go to bed.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.