Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

42,481 to 42,500 of 47,214 messages
27/08/2013 at 19:40

Hope Asics can sort you out with some freebies Lotte after all you are a bit of an advert for them with your long distance wins!!

Flipping tired here, had inlaws to stay so lots of tidying and cleaning and then Benedict slept one night, but the following two were shocking.  Anyhow no running done here!

27/08/2013 at 20:10

Don't think u could ever b described as 'all the gear and no idea' CC. Not with ur race/ultra experience

27/08/2013 at 20:24

I have a motley array of trainers I am running in just now. 

Can't bring myself to chuck My asics cos shared all those long 

runs during marathon training, even tho I can't wear them as give 

me blister in instep and they've done 500 miles. Going to try different insoles and see If helps. 

Got an ancient old pair of trail brooks adrenalines I hadn't 

worn for ages, which have done 420miles, but wore them last wk and felt great. 

Also got a pair of Lidl trainers that r very low heel and A pair of karrimor and A pair 

of Nike lunar. I am just rotating them all round daily and seems to 

b working ok. But not run more than 10miles in one go. 

Will have to find trainers that work for long distances when start training 

for another marathon, just 

don't have money the now

27/08/2013 at 21:04

Very sentimental about trainers here too. I have three pairs on the go at any one time - all Asics. Creature  of habit, me! What are the Lidl ones like, TT? I have tried other makes but always go back to Asics. Brooks tore me to shreds and Nike were relegated to general use. Not that I am going to be buying any in the near future, mind. I am considering temporary retirement as running is starting to feel too achy Sacroiliac joint constantly playing up and pelvis feels heavy. Walking may now be in order!

27/08/2013 at 21:30

i can only run in new balance as i have massively wide feet. even then i need the men's ones as the women's are too narrow! so a stop off at the NB factory shop on the way to scotland last week was an expensive business!

logged on to do some work so must work and not browse!!

27/08/2013 at 21:37

hoggle that's just awful awful news. It brings me to the verge of tears to think of it. 

Cc Pilates wise I used to do them at my gym but they rid to bring a girl in to do it as the staff didn't have the qualifications. She was very strict that you had to do beginners class and move up when ready. Are there any gyms nearby that you could get in on - not as good as doing own classes but you can build up a following. When Gail left we all went with her and paid! 

my feet have expensive tastes. Only the gel kayano will do. Tries the model down and suffered for it. Got two new sports bras today. The shock absorber run one. It's my usual bra but so pricey I was trying to wait til my boobs shrank before buying. However I went to an outlet store today and got the pink version for £26 and it was buy 1 get 1 half price so bought two. Did a huge 2.5 miles and boobs felt much better! 

Im right into Turkish delight at the mo. yum yum. 

27/08/2013 at 21:38

Oh and awesom run lotte! 

27/08/2013 at 21:57

And tatty you've done so well to keep it up til now. 

27/08/2013 at 22:05

CC I think offering to go to peoples homes is a great point of difference if people are already doing the local hall. Linking up with businesses is also a good one!! I know some hairdressers go to your home and can certainly see the appeal of either having someone come here or going to a friends to do it - good luck!!

Internet dropping in and out today - grrr so annoying! Been told by phone company I need a new line filter (little box that the computer and phone plug into. Apparently you should change them every 6 months - WTF?!!!

Collected a load of lemons from a friend yesterday so need to think about what to do with them! Am suffering badly from having a million things I want to do an simply not enough time at the moment!! Not going to improve until November unfortunately as we are building up to our busiest time which is a major National event where I am away for 5 days. Then a staff training 2 weeks later. Ah well only once a year. Hubby complaining bitterly because my 5 days away is while he is off on half term from college. Got really annoyed at his complaining - its not like I planned it and this was scheduled a year ago!! He obviously had visions of spending his break doing all sorts of adventures. I did point out there are another 9 days of holiday!!! GRRRRR

27/08/2013 at 23:37

That was awful your news of your friend Hoggle - as EF said, just makes you want to cry. Life is so damn cruel to some people. Three weeks ago my cousin and his wife lost their four-month-old baby to some vile cancer that he was born with, family are somewhat shocked at the moment ... Boo hiss to hubbys and holidays - mine has used all his holidays up for the year (nothing to do with 5 days biking with boys, 3 days skiing with boys and 2 days away in US for nephews wedding ... ahem ... not that I am counting or anything!). So I will be off doing interesting things during our two-week 'Tattie hols' without him I think!

TBogle - you have done fantastically to get this far running, but do listen to that SI joint. Walking is just as beneficial at this stage. It was my SI joint that got me in the end but I kept on power walking right until the end with S - used to go out with my walking poles (my version of Nordic Walking I guess) which was fab all-over workout as you use your arms as well as legs ...

LOL at the expensive taste in shoes EF . New bras v important purchase even if you know you'll shrink out of them, even me in my now-fried-egg state can remember the horrors of running with a milk-laden chest

Emotional attachment to shoes - hmmm, I think that is why I refused to throw out the old 268s, old friends who treated me well!! I am currently running in a pair of Inov8 road x238s which I got for £35 off internet, saucony peregrines (another bargain), Inov8 mudroc 290s for fell/orienteering. I still have some old Mizuno Wave Ascends which have about 400 miles on them I reckon - cushioned as you like so will be in drop bag for half way on race I think. I have thrown everything else out including treasured pair to avoid trashing myself any more!!

Kinsey - hoping sleep fairies on you ... S had me up at 1am and then hubby left at 3.30am to drive South. Finished teaching and done jobs so need to be away to bed myself.

Thanks for listening to my waffles about my Pilates ... will get there in end. Our 'leisure centre' is the most diabolical excuse for one ever!! However there are a couple of hotels who do health and fitness so am off to look into those ...

28/08/2013 at 10:54

survived first jags and rotavirus Vaccine. Next challenge is to avoid the tex ritters from the live vaccine in rotavirus. Have washed hands three times since getting home. Paranoid!!

28/08/2013 at 10:55

And he's weighing in at 10lbs 5 today  

28/08/2013 at 16:07

Growing well EF! Congrats to your sister too (despite the scary birth!). Well done on the running too, just love the shock absorber bras - and they work well for flat post bf boobs too as the padding makes me look like I have a chest of some sort!

CC- was also going to say about doing pilates attached to a physio etc. My pilates class I'm about to start was recommended by the physio (got a discount because of physio too). Think home teaching is good idea for those stuck in with the kids, my old PT is always training in peoples gardens/garages when kids are asleep inside. Obviously you'd have the problem of your own children to sort...

Hoggle/CC - does put things in perspective and just makes you thankful for having a happy, healthy family. Hoggle - how is your back doing? still making progress post op? grr to hubby!!

TB- do be careful!! I'm sure my continuing to run when things started to hurt when pregnant with no.2 was some of the reason for my last few months of injury. Everything completely out of whack and I just started running again as if nothing happened. Running still going well! No long runs but managed an hour and the right leg is generally niggly if not seriously painful on the knee/itb so I'm still wary and being careful to stretch/lunge etc. But it is soooo great to be able to put my trainers on and go out even for 30 mins though 6months has been tough.

Did some rather wet camping down in East Withering over bank hol, very feral kids by the end and all exhausted from lack of sleep and too much wine (just the grown ups on the wine ). Amazingly hubby seemed to enjoy it so much he has been tent hunting ever since we got back!! It's taken me years to get him to go and now he's a convert! Our enthusiastic friends helped a lot though, we all kept each others spirits up in the rain and there is less bickering with people watching. Anyway hubby now wants a humungous tent for next time! Admittedly we had no room, with Rosie's travel cot taking up the porch and rest of us in the bedroom bit, did mean when it was raining we were very cramped with no where to take off wet things.

Now two days back at work and off to Hay on Wye on Friday for 4 nights! Haven't finished washing the camping stuff yet! No investigation into Wye area so will figure it out when we get there. Got a very nice cottage in Glasbury just outside Hay. My mum is looking after the girls these past 2 days (nanny on hols for 2 weeks). I was very nervous about how she'd cope but yesterday went fine! They went for a walk (massive tantrum from Mags apparently but mum dealt with it somehow) picked blackberries, made crumble, both girls slept(!) then played in garden. Then mum came to bootcamp with me in the evening! She is a very fit 65yr old! She did bring rather too much beer with her for my liking but seemed to drink most of it last night not during the day... Feel a bit guilty for assuming she wouldn't manage, but suspect more than 2 days might be too much. I am often exhausted after just one!

Right, must get back to work, before heading back to see what granny has been entertaining the girls with today.

Sorry for all I've missed!

28/08/2013 at 16:08

Yes, meant to say, blimmin awesome running lotte!!! Of course second place wouldn't be good enough

28/08/2013 at 17:46

i didn't realise you had a nanny now, sonya. how is that panning out? i absolutely LOVED having ours. miss her sooo much!

glad you are running again too - i am off out for a 5 miler with efforts up the hills apparently. which is why i am sitting here prevaricating rather than actually running!

EF - fab weight gain there from the wee man. you must be chuffed to bits! didn't realise they did a rotavirus vaccine...

28/08/2013 at 21:37

Thanks everyone I am going to be sensible and quit while I'm ahead. As you say, Sonya, I don't want to do myself any damage that might mean I can't have a speedy (ish) return to running after little one is born. Have got my cross trainer and will do lots of walking Glad your running is going well! Loving th idea of your very fit, beer drinking mum  

Yay to Fraser's weight gain - he's doing really well! 

Grr to hubbies too. Ben is working too hard ATM and getting snappy with it. I do understand as he is doing two jobs (running the business and still doing day job) but I find it hard to bite my tongue..still, he is on the verge of getting some major investment from a private equity firm based in the States so he should *hopefully* be able to leave the day job within the next few months. Crossing fingers! 

Hoggle - lemon curd? 

28/08/2013 at 21:44

Must be so lovely having a Nanny. Only one child with childminder has proved to be a issue but I was glad to see the back of him and his mother!

sona - no help with hay I'm afraid, but enjoy! Glad your mum is being helpful.

ef - cracking weight gain,  well done Fraser!  Not heard of rotavirus vaccine either. Is tat due to prem baby or standard?

cc - sounds like some good ideas there! Hope something works.

hoggle - lemon curd and lemon drizzle cake.  I had no idea about phone filters either! Think ours s ten years old!

tatty - do what your body is telling you. As Sonya says you don't want extra damage to out you off when Frances arrives.

kinsey  - sending the sleep fairies your way!

busy day. Work this morning, consultant this afternoon. V definitely c section, forgitbto ask when. Doh! Anterior placenta, not sure where but it needs o shift! Quite an issue for a c section. Full scan Monday so Guess will clarify then. She wants bp checking every fortnight as my mum and sister have had issue

28/08/2013 at 21:47

S but I haven't! Don't get that one! Also think I might be having a boy.  Think she saw what it was when I said I didn't want to know she shifted v quickly and then after said oh I thin you're having a boy. Grr! But that's just my gut feeling. I don't think it was though. I think she slipped up. Rah . Now there's no surprises except fr weightM

28/08/2013 at 22:13

Oh that's so annoying Janie. Tho I admit I rather liked knowing!

rotavirus vaccine standard in Scotland since may. It's an oral vaccine. I'm convinced I'm going to be ill! 

Just in from a wee jaunt. Nearly 4 miles covered. Pace varied! Walked up the massive hill towards the end. Ate packet hula hoops on my return. Why did I even bother?! 

28/08/2013 at 22:18

to dozy medics at scan JT and an annoying anterior placenta - that definitely needs to move!!

Definitely preserve that pelvis tatty. As we all know, it's just not worth it in the long run and the fitness WILL return. Boo to hubby working so hard though, hope it all comes through.

Wondering how TTid is at the moment and whether their issues have been resolved yet re the land and building??? Thinking of you if you are out there ...

Sonya - sounds like your mum is having a fine old time (even if she's drinking too much beer in the evening ...). In fact I'm envious of her ability I think, no way I could do a boot camp and consume much alcohol.  Anyway, here's to parents helping out as I know so many have parents who are not always so helpful!!

EF - just googled Rotavirus and can quite see why you'd want to steer clear of a live virus of that!!! Eek, so does it have any kind of after effects???  Fab weight gain though for sure.

LOL at Lotte's twins today with the letter 'P' - why was I not surprised though ...

Pilates classes done for the week x3, but have a library shift tomorrow morning. Am forgetting which hat I am meant to be wearing at the moment!

And to compound challenges on a Weds, J gone up a group in guitar which means a later start time 6-7pm, then have to be back here to teach at 8pm, is a 30 min journey - eeeek, will have about 20 mins to get kids on way to bedrooms if not asleep.  Definitely needing that *mums taxi* sign for sure.

Just shy of 8 miles in forest today - yay - an no niggles from calf/Achilles. Must be funky calf guards and copious ingestion of arnica tabs I reckon. Feeling cautiously optimistic now.

Right, need my bed big styleee

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.