Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

42,521 to 42,540 of 47,641 messages
30/08/2013 at 14:36

Chuckling away at all of the poo stories! JP did the worst one ever on holiday a few weeks back. Now a VERY rare occasion, but still... He was in the pool with Daddy and left it a bit late. Cue shouts of 'it's coming out!' and hysterical gesturing in front of everyone else who had hoped to have a quiet afternoon in the sun. He ran over to me by the sun loungers and oh boy, had it come out. Everywhere! Ben beat a hasty retreat with mucky child for clean-up in hotel room, while red-faced Mummy tried to clean up the remnants with napkins 

so embarrassed!

JT, how annoying! I would've been so cross! Hope things turn out well for your friend.

CC, marker pen is definitely the way to go. Must sort that out over the weekend. There is way too much stuff to label! 

30/08/2013 at 15:21

Another  TB!  Hilarious to look back on, not so at the time!

Well this morning I carted his Thomas potty around the park with us and was rewarded, after about the 6th time of asking to sit on it, with a poo  (but also !) - fortunately by that point we'd lost our friends and were alone walking through the woods so perfect really!  He later did a wee on it too so hooray all round.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist and sew all their name tapes on, although this is the first year I've had 2 lots to do!  I do just write in labels if it's shop's own stuff that I'm not so fussed about losing, but definitely the logo sweatshirts get a sewn-in one!

Feeling organised finally after a month of clearing, tidying and cleaning our house and garden.  It really had become a tip and there is still work to be done but it feels much more spacious at last!

I found out this morning, finally, that I will be working 1.5 days this year, which is a whole day less than last year so a bit carp really but I have to take what I can get .  I started on 2 days last year and they asked me to take on an extra half a day in Nov so the same thing might happen, fingers crossed, particularly as N will be at nursery in the mornings.

30/08/2013 at 23:40

I killed the thread...or is everyone out partying on a Friday night?  No didn't think so . I'm off to bed anyway.

31/08/2013 at 18:12

Quiet on here. Must be all the poo talk putting people off 

Boo to fewer days, JG. Still, as you say, there is always the chance of more hours as the year goes on. Will have to pass you a few name tapes and things to sew on for me  ahead of Weds and the return to school I'm in on Mnday and Tuesday for inset days so Ben has JP. Will be nice for him to spend time with him on his own. 

Went to IkEA today for some shelving to accommodate the rapidly expanding Lego collection my son has acquired. Some curtains for the nursery and a few other 'essentials' also made their way in to the trolley too Said shelving will get put up tomorrow, I think. X-Factor tonight (very sad, I know!) so will put my feet up. Have a good excuse now that I know for definite my blood pressure is low - Ben brought a sphygmomanometer (btw I didn't just spell that, the iPad told me!) home yesterday from work. Today it was 84/48 and I haven't even felt that wonky...dread to think what it has been when I have felt really dizzy!!!! 

31/08/2013 at 18:18

xfactor here too, I love trashy telly

31/08/2013 at 19:46

Wow that's low TB! I thought mine was low at 100/60 but pales in comparison to you! Is there anything you can do? Loved all the poo stories - in a comedic way obvs! Still got all that to come I reckon. Oh and meant to say Tatty, you've done well to run so long. I ran till 34 wks with E but stopped after my 20 wk scan scare. Baby is now back up actually on the centile grids now ( phew!) & I reckon it'll be around 6-7lbs. Tempted to try a few short runs but may be so out of shape it's not worth it. And after c section i will have to rest a while anyway I guess. Not looking forward to that. Last time I was jogging again after 2 wks. 

Admire all you swimmers. Good on you, especially as weather getting cooler. And sounded like a lovely run CC. have fun sewing/writing name labels everyone. I can't swe for toffee so it'll be th iron on ones for E when time comes! Have fun camping CM. SHAME about fewer days JG - fingers crossed for a little more as year prigresses. What is it you do again? Forgive my appalling memory! 

Looks like we will be leaving London for good on 27 sep. can't really believe it. This evening we took E for pizza in canary wharf and sat outside overlooking the Thames and all the boats/people e watching. It was so lovely. Really gonna miss that kinda thing about living in the city. 

31/08/2013 at 21:13

love the poo stories too, took Archie to the pool today and he ran out clutching his trunks and I managed to steer him into the toilet with only a 'small bit' of leakage! He finished on the loo while I rinsed the trunks in the sink and back to it. Worse was the fact I put him to bed last night,  commenting on the fact that his bedroom smelt funny only to find a dried on poo in his pants this morning! 

Yippee to getting back to school routines, swimming, cracking runs, healthy babes, poo in the potty and x factor

Boo to labelling, lack of hours, packing to move and low BP. 

Tatty - glad you feel ok with those readings but they are very low so I think you've done the right thing calling a day on the running for now. 

Went to hereford earlier for a swim and pizza which was lovely and treated Tom to a new bike from halfords. They didn't have time to build it but hubby is handy enough with a spanner so brought it home in a box only to find the front wheel looks buckled. hubby going to have to drive 80 mile round trip to take it back tomorrow, just hope they can fix, replace or refund but I am sure I have read that halfords are not the best at customer services.... I am going in opposit direction to try wettie in the sea with the tri club in aberystwyth. 

31/08/2013 at 22:18

Went to 3bike ships today including halfords, didn't buy anything but think I am going to get a Ridgeback-anyone experienced those?  Not from halfords, but from a local family run shop-more my cup of tea.

where are you moving again Brookie?

have a sick boy again, under arm temp 39.1 and v miserable.  He literally was fine one minute and dancing in the kitchen, plonked him in his chair for supper and hubby commented he looked a bit puffy, but he was still happy. i went for a run, 45 mins later I came home he was inconsolable, burning up and just wanted cuddles.  Hope he's ok by tues as M and I are having a mummy and daughter day at lego land whilst my dad looks after Eric.

01/09/2013 at 11:05

Poor E, hope he is brighter this morning. JP really enjoyed Legoland when we went a few weeks back, although I didn't so much because it seemed I was banned from every ride! I spent quite a lot of time sitting in coffee shops and reading. Not such a bad consolation, I guess. Have you taken M before?

Brookie - exciting times ahead! I think you're really brave to move when heavily pregnant. Or will you have had the baby by then? Is it far that you're going? Great that mini Brookie is growing well now. Like you, I'm a bit apprehensive about the recovery time from a section as I was back jogging within about a fortnight (tbh that was probably too soon - I need to learn from that one!). I have a feeling that this is going to be another obscenely large baby (my bump is MASSIVE and everything feels heavy!) so when I see the consultant at 32 weeks, I am going to ask if I can have her at 37/38 weeks rather than 39. Well, ultimately I will do what I'm told, but I would rather it be sooner than later. I've not put that much weight on (1st 5) but it is all round the front. If I wear leggings, they are all baggy around the legs! I guess some of that can be attributed to muscle loss from not running though.

Camlo, boo to the bike Hope you can get it sorted.

JG, sorry the puss cat isn't settling. Maybe she just needs a bit more time? That said, you can't have S and N terrified We've been lucky with ours (although Pootle and Mugglewump don't get on - they will just about tolerate each other now) but we did have a real psycho cat once...He was our first cat (called Zippy). He was incredibly possessive and jealous over me and hated just about everyone else (he did remotely like Ben). He would do things like hide under the sofa and lash out at people's legs as they went past/sit on top of the fridge and hit people on the head/have people backed into a corner...The funniest thing ever was one night when Ben dreamt he was having a fingerprick test for diabetes and he woke up to find Zippy with his claw stuck in his finger (with a look of sheer smugness on his face, it has to be said). Poor Zippy met a sad end when he got knocked over by a car one morning - we lived on a busy main road at the time. I was gutted but looking back now, there is no way we could have had him with JP around (he died 2 years before JP was born).

Definitely going to speak to MW about my dodgy BP now. reached new lows this morning of 80/43!! For now, I shall get my compression socks out (I can at least then pretend I'm running ) and eat salty snacks

01/09/2013 at 11:33

def contact midwife re bp. Mine went to 60/40 during sections and I felt effing awful. Was really distressed in fact. I was generally low at 100/60 too but nothing like that! 

i have a bourbons addiction. The "s" makes all the difference but I've had about 8 today! 

Did anyone use lilypadz when feeding? I've ordered some but no idea if any good! 

01/09/2013 at 11:34

How's Eric Caro? 

01/09/2013 at 11:38

The new guidelines say 39 weeks so you may struggle to convince them tb - they made a huge concession of planning 38 weeks with me and quoted studies at me then of course it all went Pete Tong anyway. 

off to try to come up with a way of making family room bearable to go in. Louise presently owns two rms in this house and I want one back! Pondering ikea trip - it's only 4 mins away after all. 

Man my autocorrect is having a bad week - just tried to change only to on jungly!!

01/09/2013 at 11:42

Oh and Brookie good luck with move. Where are you moving to again? 

01/09/2013 at 13:48

I used them with M EF, - they were ok but I think they may have contributed to my predisposition to mastitis!  For E I just used washable pads, but didn't need them before long as I never really leaked anyway!

E is a bit better thanks.  He still looks half asleep and a bit puffy eyed but he's eate today.  Had one dose of calpol and he'll have another after his nap - no point being calpol deprived if you don't need to be!  Don't think I'll take him swimming though tomorrow.

We wet to legoland last summer but we were with my cousin and her family and Eric plus her baby, so we took it in turns to baby watch, plus the crowds were awful so we didn't go on too many things.  I'm hoping that this time, as some schools will have gone back it wont be too bad, plus E wont restrict us - I want to go on EVERYTHING

01/09/2013 at 18:52

Shows how much I know about blood pressure I thought 110/60 was normal mine is usually that at its highest! (When pregnant !)

tatty - I agree with EF, think you'll really struggle o convince them.  Both boywhnor born 38+5 but they currently will not shift below 39 weeks for the elective date. I'd just have to go in as an emergency. Seems crazy to me but it sounds like theres no budging. Even with my history...

camlo - hope the Tri club are treating you well! Rah o the bike...

caro - no personal experience of ridgeback but their balance bikes are very well made.   Still dithering whether to get one if those or an Isla for Archie as in same league. 

Brookie - I've forgotten where youre moving to?

jg to cat. But antsy cats are as bad as tempremental dog and you don't want to be worrying about not just your own, but other people's children being hurt. My sister had a mental cat called Rosie and she lived in constant fear of her attacking a child.  Especially as she got older. She was about 6 when Son no 1 was born. 

Fab weekend in Pembrey this weekend. Weather was great so spent loads of time on the beach and in the park. Just what the doctor ordered before going back to The grim reality of work tomorrow and my 20 week scan!

01/09/2013 at 19:49

Have you not just had a scan JT?  Thought I caught the end of that conversation buy may have got wrong end of stick!

Brookie - don't worry, my memory is terrible for details!  I'm working for Sheffield College teaching English (ESOL) to 16-18 yrs olds, but as I'm employed by the Sheff College agency I don't get much of a say in how many hours I do, other than my manager putting in a good word for me.  Still, at least it will cover the mortgage.

Well mental cat is staying for the week .  Me and hubby let Sophie upstairs to go to the loo this morning, with Ruby wandering around upstairs, and I went in front, but she still made a beeline for Sophie, hissing at her and following her with intent to the bathroom - I had to quickly get the door wedge out of the way and pull the door shut, otherwise we could have had another incident!  Wasn't good and made us decide we just couldn't keep her, but when I rang the Shelter they made me feel soooo guilty for not giving her a chance to settle in properly.  Stuck to my guns and said we wanted to bring her back, but rang back about 45 mins later and said we'd give it a week...!  

We've got an ok set-up now where she's in the living room in the evening and at night, kids upstairs and Ralph can come in the kitchen and come upstairs, then in the day she's upstairs and the rest of us can do what we like downstairs.  We're hoping it'll get her used to the noise of the kids and maybe eventually she'll tolerate them, but like you say JT I'm worried we may still always be on edge and reluctant to leave her with kids around.  I suppose she can always be shut in a room for an hour or 2 if necessary though every now and then.  Some children must have seriously damaged her trust in the past as she's sooo sweet with us, it's a real shame and I really hope she comes round.  Really gives me butterflies to see Sophie so scared of her though  - she could end up being Upstairs Cat for a couple of years until she can tolerate them!

No run for me today because of the cat issues though  - still feeling quite unfit from holiday despite my pb at parkrun last weekend!

01/09/2013 at 19:50

Oh and EF yes bp does sound low - mine is low but is 100 at least I think.

01/09/2013 at 20:47

Yeah I'm 100/60 usually when pregnant and when not I have no idea! 

Exhausted. We did toenail cutting tonight. put it off and off. And rightly.  Away out for proper wine. 

01/09/2013 at 21:31

back from camping and exhausted - no sleep for 2 nights. whitemead was a disaster, JT. so noisy and people were really ignorant. one dad ran past our tent with his small crying child after midnight (when the noise from the bar stopped). child didn't want to walk so dad was running past BARKING loudly at said child to get him to run away from the 'scary dog'. that and the noise up until midnight from the bar. plus the people doing their recycling (bottles) at midnight. and the screaming, pissed people until 3am partying in their tents. and the car horns at 2am. and the person doing cry-it-out in the caravan opposite with their toddler (every hour of so 'mummyyyyyy' screamed at the top of poor child's voice for about 20 mins. no comforting going on). also place was FILTHY - showers were black and so muddy. bogs didn't flush and no paper. pool was murky; hairs in shower and loads of green slime on the walls. I could go on - but won't. it really was the worst place I have ever camped

that said - the kids had a ball! they got to sleep eventually in spite of all the noise. it was just us adults who didn't sleep at all

JG - I would keep the cat in just one room for now. she is probably attacking because she's unsettled by sophie coming into her space at the moment. I think she just need to be in one room till she's settled. we did that with ours for about a week or so; then let them out of that room into a confined space like just upstairs. perhaps talk to a vet about it? or caro may have some ideas...

01/09/2013 at 21:37

good luck for tomorrow, JT!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.