Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

42,541 to 42,560 of 47,535 messages
01/09/2013 at 21:42

Yes hope it goes well jt. 

01/09/2013 at 21:47

Ha ha, Caro's ideas came from a fab website and JG has seen them on FB.  Am no expoert in cat behaviour but you have to give them time, and lots of it.  Also, am personally in favour of single cat households as you will remember when Karen wanted to get half a dozen (ok I know I'm exagerating a bit!) as cats are generally solitary animals and like their own space.  Have you got any feliway plug ins?  I would make sure you have at least 2 in various places around the house, and agree with the confining her and not letting her go nr the kids or vice versa for a while.

CM that sounds positively minging!  Yuck yuck yuck!  Hope you're enjoying your nice clean sheets and quiet bed now.

So it's only 2.5 wks till I go to America to see my sis on my own.  Am begining to realise how clueless my husband really is on the day to day of looking after them......have just given my dad a mini spread sheet, and hubby felt the need to copy oit!  I mean come on, he really should know by now what we do every day.....but no.  I have told them I don't want to know all the disasters and things they forget.......but I am dreading the disaster zone the house will be when i return!

01/09/2013 at 21:48

MIssed what was happening with JT tomorrow?  Good luck anyway!

01/09/2013 at 22:20

Just a quick post cos on phone. Good luck tomorrow JT. we're moving to Oxfordshire. Not far from Abingdon - home of my favourite marathon, one run 3 times with my sub 4 PB. not that I've chosen where to live based on my favourite marathon - oh no! But maybe living near will inspire me to a sub 3.50 one day?! We haven't exchanged on sale or purchase yet - hopefully this week. The stress has been horrendous! 

Sorry to hear about icky camping nightmares and unsettled morgues. Will post tomorrow when on laptop as autocorrect driving me bonkers. Morgues???!!! Supposed to be "moggies" clearly! 

01/09/2013 at 22:23

yup, am just off to my lovely bed now. trying to get through the washing, ironing etc as back to school this week (for J anyway). wanting to get as much done so I can have one last nice day with them tomorrow...

it's been a fabulous summer, helped by the lovely weather. think the kids are exhausted now though - they have been all out of routine with late nights. we went to the disco at that awful campsite and my two LOVED it. E won the prize for dancing - only because she danced enthusiastically for every dance right in front of their noses and talked to them and answered all their questions. J did every dance too and was sweaty bloke by the end of it! was lovely to see them laughing and flinging themselves around with no inhibitions. although I had to laugh at J and the Macarena. he didn't have a clue except for when it came to the pelvic thrust bit! he did that bit expertly every time

01/09/2013 at 22:53

yippee to fab dancing, legoland and trips abroad without kids

Boo to crazy cat, end of holidays, poorly boy and 39wk rule. 

Good Luck JT - hopefully if you keep stressing the fact that your others came before 39wks they will realise the risk they are taking by letting you go on and probably having to deal with you in labour. 

Bike wheel changed - they tried to fix but it wasn't happening so I insisted on a replacement. Sea swim was great fun and such a lovely group of people who made me feel welcome despite my pathetic efforts. Got home and fell off bike again.... oops. 

Only a week to ultra and sciatica driving me nuts tonight's. 

02/09/2013 at 10:35

Ohh fingers crossed that all papers get signed Brookie! Not the kind of stress you need at this stage! I moved to NZ with a  4 month old - trying to get hubbies visa plus everything sorted with a very little one was muchos stressful! The actual flight was a breeze in comparison!!

Well, I very quietly have some 'training' to report! Before anyone gets excited, what I mean is its the first purposeful exercise for exercise sake I have done since Feb (ie not a stroll with a 2 year old!). Physio suggested I start walking up stairs to rebuild strength in my glutes and I drive past a random flight of stairs to nowhere on way back from daycare everyday. So I stopped and did 2 lots of 50 stairs

My physio is forcing me to go against all my previous training/recovery etc ie. do more and more and you will get better and I am learning (with gritted teeth) to take things much slower!! But it is PROGRESS people!!

02/09/2013 at 13:32

Woohoo! Fantastic news Hoggle. Before u know it the last 

yr will b a distant memory and u will b fit and strong again

02/09/2013 at 15:17

Fantastic Hoggle - onwards and upwards (literally )!

Caro - I know I know , it was hubby who really wanted to get another cat and I eventually came round, remembering how friendly Ralph was in the shelter with another cat and he and our old cat used to get along fine.  Saying that, we haven't introduced him properly to Ruby yet and when he saw her he didn't hiss or growl (she growled though!) so who knows.  I am regretting bothering with the whole business though, has been fairly disastrous really but made worse by the fact that Ruby is recovering from cat flu so we can't even introduce her to Ralph yet (although that's probably not a bad thing, all things considered!), so have this ridiculous set-up of keeping 2 cats and children all apart from each other!

So because of that it's impossible to keep her in one room really, without totally upsetting Ralph, but we are keeping her mainly in the living room or our bedroom, although last night she followed me into the conservatory and had a nose-around!  I sooo hope the whole situation improves.  Maybe I need to do a crash course in cat psychology !

What is Feliway by the way and does it actually work?  Had a quick Google but for the price I will need some proof that it works!

Thanks for all your help by the way, and sorry for being a cat-bore!

02/09/2013 at 19:06

Always worth giving it a go, and personally if I had more than one cat I'd keep one plugged in all the time.  We have it at work, and lots of clients swear by it.  

http://www.medicanimal.com/setSessionLocale/product?product_id=372&locale=en_GB&ptc=googlebase&utm_source=uk_googlebase&utm_medium=uk_googlebase&utm_campaign=uk_googlebase&gclid=CKXR88umrbkCFaKWtAodslgArQ

And - online it is way cheaper than at your vets!  This is just after one quick google search so you may even find cheaper.  The refill lasts a month, buy you only need to buy the plug in bit once, after that you just need the refills which are cheaper.

02/09/2013 at 20:19

Thank God I am only in work for another 2 days total or I might kill someone!!!!! Still, at least it has raised my BP

JG, really hope moggy trouble is settling down now. Sounded positive before on FB! LOL at the morgue, Brookie! My iPad wanted me to write 'mog rug' just then btw

hope today has gone well for JT.

CM, glad you're home and clean now

great news on the training, Hoggle! 

Oh dear, Keele are on University Challenge and embarrassing themselves 

03/09/2013 at 12:51

How did scan go JT? 

Great news Hoggle! 

03/09/2013 at 13:50

Good news at the progress Hoggle.

Wow TattyB that is low. My BP was 100/60 when the nurse checked it a couple of weeks ago. Is that the thread norm then!

Hope things work out with the cat JG. We have two cats, mum and daughter and there is certainly no love lost between them. Both love the kids though. Thinking what Caro was saying,  have seen many dogs and cats with much closer bonds than between 2 cats hmmm.

Hope all well with scan JT.

Good luck with the move Brookie. Hope all paperwork ok. I did the Abingdon marathon a few years ago and hubby entertained the kids in a soft play place while I ran. Then we had a car smash on the way home so not my favourite memory but it was a lovely area.

I'm quite enjoying my new weekly routine. Work 10 - 3, Mon, Wed, thurs and car share with hubby those days so we are both home to sort out the after school activites which has eased the pressure slightly, he still coaches those nights mind. Tuesday is my day of indulgence. Have done 20 in the bike and a 10 mile run already with another run planned for later!

Dylan fainted at school on Friday, fell off a chair and clonked his head on the floor. He seemed a bit subdued but ok afterwards. We thought it was just a hot room etc. He was fine over the weekend, did all his usual activities. Then yesterday I was at work and got another phone call from school, he'd collapsed in the lunch queue, luckily the janitor had caught him and laid him down on the floor til he came around. Not sure what is causing it, could just be to do with growing ? but we do have an apt with the nurse (earliest we could get next Monday) to check fasted bloods and ECG. Dr yesterday was pretty useless, couldn't even take his BP because they didn't have a cuff small enough!

03/09/2013 at 13:51

about to take E in for her meet the teachers session. dressed in a flamenco dress lol

dropped J off at juniors and waved him goodbye - no handing him over at the door any longer

had GP appt this morning as i thought i had athletes foot which hasn't cleared up after 6 weeks of treatment. it turns out that it may actually just be eczema on my toe (GP not sure) but she was horrified by the state of my mutant toenail. it looks like a claw. i had it removed when i was 18 as it was ingrowing and getting badly infected all the time. when it grew back, it grew back like a claw so i thought it was damaged. however, she says it has probably had a fungal infection all that time!!! 23 years?! anyway she is keen to try and treat it (although i'm not bothered - but if it is fungal, it could be causing my toe issues if they aren't actually eczema as she suspects they are). so i have 3 months of tablets to take, and i may need to take them for up to 9 months. eeeek! side effects include weightloss - that would be nice

right - best clean madam up and ship off to school

03/09/2013 at 14:09

Nat went throo a spell of fainting at school when she was 

about P5-7, had to put a drink and a chocolate/cereal bar in her bag to have in the afternoon (the school's suggestion), did work as it didn't happen again.

She did faint once about 4 months ago, would have bn 16, but it's cos she'd bn lazing in bed all morning with nothing 

to eat and then jumped up out of bed to go dwnstairs for food, 

and promptly fainted at top of stairs. Hit the floor like a ton of bricks, gave 

us all a fright. Just low blood sugar and low blood pressure from lack of food 

and dehydration.

03/09/2013 at 14:25

It could be just that TT, but on Friday it was just after lunch and he was sitting watching a DVD in class. And yesterday he'd  had breakfast and a good snack in the  morning before the lunch but maybe. I am a bit of a fainter, if I am ill or spew I faint and it was my party trick during pregnancy. Hopefully it won't be  regular occurrence!

03/09/2013 at 14:33

have been skimming but not reading, bit mad here and a few black clouds skimming around ... just for a change!!!

Eek to fainting Dylan, best to be checked over by someone a bit more useful than your Dr though ... that's all a bit scary.

Has been a long time since my BP has been checked but think mine is also the forum avg (well it was last time checked anyway), was worrying a bit about it as kept going dizzy the other week but seems better this week.

Work sounds good Lotte, and the new routine so yay to that , and especially some help with after school stuff. Felt bad as had to tell mine they just couldn't do after school jog Scotland on a Weds as I couldn't face leaving home at 2.30 and not getting back until 7.30pm!!! Js guitar lesson has moved to 6-7pm and I teach Pilates at 8pm. I collect S at 2.50pm and J at 3.20pm and jog Scotland was 3.45-4.30 ... anyway suffice to say I thought I'd have a meltdown!!

Our local pool is closing . We have an official council one up in town which is small and massively over-subscribed for swim lessons, but also one linked to the army (was RAF). RAF massively subsidised it to keep open but army will not so it's closing. A huge loss to area as up to 200 kids have lessons there!!! Was dirt cheap, why they haven't put costs of lessons up I have no idea.

I have a nasty nail I've had since I was about 15 or 16 - bearing in mind I am now 43!!!

Just been for a 10km run with my walking poles to see if it's possible to run with them ... am thinking of second half of my ultra which has substantial height gain and loss and imagine my quads are going to be trashed.  However, until I can put a super-lightweight pair on my Christmas list I think I'll be leaving them at home.

Weird weather here - blowing an absolute gale since Sunday but is 23 degrees out there and super-sunny.

Sorry for what I've missed but hope JTs scan has gone OK and good luck with the move Brookie!

03/09/2013 at 15:02

Aw, hope the wind blows away your black clouds then CC. Those Weds logistics would have driven you mad for sure. Sometimes we just have to say no, I'm getting better at it but its a shame when its something you enjoy which has to give. The poles are meant to be really good once you get used to them but I can't imagine using them. That's such a shame about your pool. Our lessons work out at £2.70 per class (max of 6 kids per class) It used to be cheaper but the council stopped subsidising the recreation trust. Still not bad but it does hurt when its x6!

03/09/2013 at 18:34

Just been asked for 69 quid for rugby membership and subs. Then will be 50 odd for ballet this week and sd for swimming. Plus 60 for art class. Argh.... hate beginning of term

xpost earlier lotte. Hope Dylan ok 

03/09/2013 at 18:56

Ours are something like £3.00 a class with usually about 5 in a class, I was paying twice that down South for a class with 12 in it!!!  So I DO think there is room for a little bit of an increase. Cannot imagine how much you pay out for sports activities Lotte for your gang!!

Can see poles being really useful and was kind of getting the hang of it, but could really do with the super lightweight ones that pack down like tent poles cos they are easier to carry when you are not using them, mine are heavy and therefore rather cumbersome.  Anyway, if I don't succumb to a panic purchase before next week (can't really justify), then they will be on Christmas present list

Just had a lovely hour or so on the beach with the kids, but just feel shattered. Hey ho, have only one lady for tonight's Pilates class so she will get a decent 1:1 and it should be fairly straight-forward. Also stressing about my attempt at a class in a hall, not many takers and I know there could be if I could really go around shouting about it to all and sundry but struggling to do that along with everything else, think perhaps I have bitten off a bit more than I can chew for the moment ... plus I really need to get a stake in the ground with my husband and where we are to live!!! I have told him pretty categorically that I do not want to move but he still seems to think we can't put a master plan into place until he's had yet another meeting with his boss about his job ... I think if it wasn't for the kids I would have seriously lost it with him spectacularly by now ... anyway

sorry for that rant, just having a rather bad day

Onward and upward ...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.