Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

42,561 to 42,580 of 46,088 messages
06/03/2014 at 00:20

I am dropping balls madly at the moment too Camlo but that sounds very scary!

Little boy we saw yesterday was rushed to hospital last night in an ambulance with convulsions - turns out to be a virus and he is fine but scar and hoping M hasn't caught it either!!

06/03/2014 at 07:37

E stayed at my mums house last night. I'm just lying in bed with little Isaac snoring next to me ( hubby in Germany so have bed all to myself). They grow up so fast. Just trying to treasure every little moment! Will post more later too. 

06/03/2014 at 09:27
I feel sorry for the phone stalkers, I remember just how exciting and thought consuming it is waiting for news on a friend or family members new arrival. We would all feel unloved if no one bothered to ask after us. So try to have some patience with them they just live you and that's not a bad thing.
06/03/2014 at 09:28
*love you
06/03/2014 at 10:36

As long as you remember that we fully expect to be the first to know Pip, before any phone stalkers

06/03/2014 at 10:50

Yes of course we don't count as stalkers at all and none of us are haunting the pages in case there's news!!

Late late night of work for me but have finally got a massive piece of work (the one I have been procrastinating over for weeks) done - phew!!

Hoping it means that tomorrow I can get on with some other work and stop feeling constantly worried about not getting things finished!

Oh and need some advice re. toilet training. M is very happy doing wees on the toilet, will do poos if encouraged and reminded at the right time. Not so keen on the idea of wearing undies  do I just go for it or wait until she decides she's ready to ditch nappies?

06/03/2014 at 11:24

Buy some special pants, or take her to the shop and let her choose them.  ie Peppa Pig, etc.  The downside is.......she may then decide to only wear those pants which isn't great when they're all in the wash!

06/03/2014 at 11:34

oh yes - J had favourite fireman sam pants. used to have to wash and dry them overnight so they were clean for wearing again the next day!

PG3
06/03/2014 at 14:58

TT - you are right about the phone stalkers, I know they only care.  My husband said the same thing to me last night... that was until my sister started phone stalking him today 

CM - the therapy sounds v positive and I hope you are feeling better.

Hoggle - it's hard to know what is right and wrong as they are all different.  When we decided to go for it, we moved Georgia straight to pants and took her out of nappies.  She didn't get it at all for a few days, then pooed herself every day for a week and then the something kind of clicked.  We were told to stay away from pull ups or nappies as they are confusing but I did use them sometimes on long car journeys.  I bought cheap packs of pants from Primark and either washed or chucked them, depending on how bad they were. I think you can buy slightly absorbant pants which may help, kind of terry towelling type.  I didnt get any though.

Brookie, I hope the legs weren't too stiff and you are feeling suitably pleased with yourself.

The weather is just lovely, perfect for a run.  Sadly I have a sweep booked in at the midwife instead...  I dont have much faith in this clinic as they constantly look like they are in shock and have no idea what is going on.

06/03/2014 at 15:08

Ah a sweep - what fun   Hope it does something useful......

06/03/2014 at 16:07

oh good luck with the sweep Pip.

Peeing rain here & canna see the mountains. Mind you was 8 degrees this morning so felt much warmer briefly!!

Boo to he cold CM. Get the high strength Vit C and zinc down ya!

Hoggle _ yay to getting the work done, weight of your shoulders x

Potty training-all different. C didnt get the pants thing for a while, hated pooing in the toilet so used to do it in her pants, drove me demented. R got it fairly quickly but both C & R wore night pull ups till they were 6 and 7 ( i know, ridiculous!!). M got it straight away day and night and has only had a couple of accidents. didnt do anything diffrently with all three.

Camlo- yes do 100 each of squats, sit ups and push ups but its push ups on knees and yesterday i did them in sets of 10 so doable.

CC - i shall PM you about pack etc later. those websites about the weather scared me-avalanches, yikes!!!!!

06/03/2014 at 17:41

Hello everyone, long time no post. I have been reading when I can (usually at the poolside or when waiting for kids but can't bear to post from my phone) but never seem to get peace to post. I don't even know where to start with a proper catch up and name check, so I won't bother !

I have been dropping balls all over the place, had a hideous week last week. I thought I was honestly beginning to crack up but I won't bore you with all the details. Think it was my first proper experience of proper black clouds and it scared me a wee bit. But feeling more like I am back on it this week. Logistics have been insane for the last 4 weeks that I have been without the big car. However I think it has finally, after we took it to a different garage, been patched up and hopefully should pass its MOT tonight then back on the road. Phew.

I don't even think I have said hello and welcome and good luck to Pip. And I would love to hear all about the Kent cyclo park when you have a moment!

Running has been ok, managing my usual mileage around 80 mpw. Easy week this week before race on Sunday and then will ramp it back up hopefully peaking at 100 for a couple of weeks before the 100k. Although the skiing holiday is going to disrupt plans slightly.

Need to go order some party things. My baby boys will be 6 a week tomorrow. How scary is that. Which means Vixo's Isabelle will be 6 next week too. Was also thinking that it is over 6 years since I got to know you guys on the forum!

Will try and keep up a bit better!

Edited: 06/03/2014 at 17:42
06/03/2014 at 17:51

They cant be 6!!  What race on Sunday??  I know I should know but can't remember or be bothered to look back to find out.........

I feel like I may be starting a cold!  I really hope it is in my mind.......would be so annoyed if I got one now after all the injuries have sorted themselves out.

06/03/2014 at 19:13
Girls. I have been out and bought .... 3 dresses for work (in the sale in tesco). None of them touches the floor. In fact they don't touch my knees! Omg. What has happened to me?? I just think I might be feeling a bit more positive about myself. Plus veganism suits me. I feel better - although full of snot

Lotte - hope all is ok now. I think cracking up at points is inevitable with all you juggle. Hugs

Pip - hope sweep was ok. Never had one but understand they aren't pleasant

Caro - boo to germs. I have a stinker
06/03/2014 at 20:18

i had an evil cold a couple weeks ago too - but hopefully the last colds of winter for all of us.  Hi Lotte!  I don't think I would EVER have ANY balls in the air if I had your life......so don't be hard on yourself if things get a bit bananas now and again.  Good luck for Sunday. Sure you'll ace it as always.

CM - yay yay yay to new dresses! Sound fab - and your new counsellor sounds like she knows her stuff and it all seems to be helping which is just brilliant! I bet you look fab in the work dresses - your old boss will be seeing the new confident ballsy you and thinking "I'm a total chump for losing this employee...."

Good luck for sweep Pip.  The end is surely in sight (and no, we aren't at all stalky on here, oh no....!) 

Waves to everyone else - can't remember stuff properly but your training for your race sounds good RF.  You will be well prepared as ever I'm sure.

06/03/2014 at 20:27
Woohoo CM, that is so good to hear
06/03/2014 at 20:29

Oh and hope work improves HOggle and Camlo. And that your week is going better too JG.

Right - brief race report from Sunday's Reading Half (seems almost not worth writing one for a short race like this, given the long distance races you others do!).  My dad was a star and came to collect Isaac and I. On the way I realised I"d left my garmin charging in the kitchen but thought "oh well, I've run well without it in the past, so given that I've done very minimal training - it's not like it was gonna be a PB race anyway!" and so we didn't go back for it.  I breast fed Isaac in the car park near the start and left it as late as poss so I would hopefully be finished and back in time for his next feed in about 3 and a half hours time.

The first mile went quick as they always do in races but I overheard another runner saying to their friend "that was an 11 minute mile. that's a slow pace."  I felt a bit down then, thinking i was so slow, but then started chanting to myself "Just had a baby just have fun, just had a baby just have fun...!"  I needed the loo though - pretended it was nerves for first 2 miles then decided I was desperate - thankfully there was a small wooded area at around 3 miles where i could see men disappearing so I pegged it over the fence and found a convenient bush..... blessed relief!  

The course was mainly residential up to mile 5.5, and with more "hills" & inclines than I remembered from previous years but it passed quickly as I was hoping to see my Dad and Isaac in the town centre.  Around mile 4 I spied the 2.15 pacer ahead of me and decided to catch him and stay with him if I could.  By mile 5.5 I had passed him and could see the 2.10 pacer ahead. By mile 8 I had passed him too, as we left the town centre behind.  I hadn't seen my Dad but looking for him distracted me for 3 miles.  I'd broken the race into 3 stages, mile 6, mile 8, mile 11 and the finish.  The furthest I'd run in training had been 9 miles (albeit hilly and off road).

I passed the half way mark in 1.04 so was pleased that i looked in with a chance of coming in under 2.15 which I'd secretly wanted.

06/03/2014 at 20:33

Ohhh Brookie you have left me in suspense........

06/03/2014 at 20:36

I took a gel at mile 8 and then finally started to feel some confidence in how good i was feeling.  I was really enjoying it!  I scoffed a few jelly babies from kids handing them out (can't ever resist a jelly baby!) and at mile 10 put my "Running Trax" tunes on.  I didn't really feel in need of the lift music sometimes give me (normally I prefer to run races with no music at all) but actually it just made me feel even happier!  I got quite emotional thinking of little Isaac and how running is the one big thing I still have of the old pre-babies Brookie, now that I am no longer a practising lawyer.  Feeling tears come, I told myself to stop being a big sucker and get on with it!

I felt amazing in the last 3 miles, my stride lengthening (or at least it felt as though it was - probably not in reality!) and I imagined I was zooming along like a Kenyan runner!  I suspect i probably looked like a deranged, grinning, red faced lunatic of a thirty something woman, wobbling along with flailing arms and a poor gait, but hey! 

I sprinted as best I could into the stadium, picking off a few people on the way, but it's a big busy race and passing people isn't always easy due to space. I checked my watch over the line and guessed I'd done something like 2.04 or 2.05 so was well chuffed when the text confirmed my time as 2.03.54.

And the best bit?  Having armed myself with Tena Liners...... I didn't wee! Even with the sprint finish!  Hurrah!

06/03/2014 at 20:49

Anyway, thoughts are now turning to what next? I have found a few local 10 milers, halves etc so may do a few of them between now and September.  I would like to get my half time to under 1.50 ultimately but that may be a goal for next year.  Then Spetember brings Berlin Marathon and October - Abingdon (with Pip I hope!!)

Off to buy "Eat to Run" and that run less run faster book.  Brookie is back running properly - yay!

Oh, and one funny thought I had as I looked around my fellow runners on Sunday was "wow, everyone has pretty smart kit on." there were some ladies in particular in totally matchy matchy outfits - like all pink and black with matching pink trainers. The running clothing/kit industry must be totally cashing in.  I mean, considering really you don't need much for running other than some decent shoes and some not too sweaty shorts and t-shirt, people had clearly spent some considerable dosh.  Right I will stop clogging up the thread with my waffle now.  Night all! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.