Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

43,021 to 43,040 of 43,664 messages
16/03/2015 at 19:40

Isaac yelling so had to stop. Happy birthday to the other wee Isaac! Glad u all had a lovely day PG. And we'll done on the 20 miler. Good stuff. Camlo - totally agree with others on your decision to swop training schedules. Makes sense. I always joke that i am the queen of under training so maybe an ultra would suit me! (Joke!) and yes, I have no clue how you fit it all in. 

CM - how is work or daren't i Ask? E's iced cake on FB looked fab! 

Caro - how is your return to work?  Reading all the carp work stuff (yours too PG) makes me glad I left my Job. I've actually started to look for something part time, maybe for when are starts school in September. But I want to make the right decision and not rush into it. I'm enjoying lots of village stuff here - toddler group, preschool committee, school association etc. Might as well enjoy it while it lasts. And I'd like a marathon PB before I got back to a paid job! 

Hoggle your farm weekends always look wonderful. Glad u enjoyed it. Sorry for anyone I've missed but I'm off the bottom of the page now! 

16/03/2015 at 20:34

Hope you are feeling a bit better Brookie - so frustrating when you have to miss stuff you have paid for and kids being ill is a huge drain, both those things are probably making you feel a bit rubbish.

Camlo - hugs, hope you are ok too.  In fact lots of hug all round, you too Nurofen, hope you all right.

Hoggle, hope you get some sleep! 

Pip, hope work thing sorts itself out soon.  My brother was having a shocking time and handed in his notice but feels a lot happier since he made that decision.  He's got some interviews lined up so just has to find another job!!

16/03/2015 at 20:40

What are the chances of Andy noticing I've wrapped half his presents in Christmas paper having singularly forgotten to get wrapping paper. I figured he was less likely to notice Xmas than pink cupcakes. 

16/03/2015 at 20:53

He probably won't notice if he's anything like my husband!

16/03/2015 at 23:08

ha ha - love the wrapping paper scenario

Big hugs all round. As someone else said, so much bl00dy crap going around at the moment!!

Poorly children and late husbands are not a good combination when you miss classes, especially ones you've paid for

Camlo - like others have said, totally right thing regarding your mum!  and also the schedule too. So so important to properly listen to body and change when necessary (ha, like I do that!!!).

Hoggle - I wish I had a farm like yours near me!!! Not that I am objecting to what I have on my doorstep because it's lovely, but a bit more heat would be lovely.

Lotte - a whole day to yourself? How dare you?  I did laugh at the FB comment about 'whats for dinner'

I ended up with some lovely flowers along with a bottle of that blackcurrant (I think) liqueur stuff that goes in Prosecco rather well!. J had to make me a card as he had lost the one he hid earlier in the week

busy weekend mainly - I took kids to our local Orienteering event on Sat morning but didn't run myself (very disciplined!) as legs a bit tired after Fridays long run.  Quiet afternoon with no kids as they were at friends for a few hours. Nice opportunity for more painful and heated discussions with hubby

Yesterday I did a bigger o-event and even managed to finish it!!! Had to enter a higher level than I would usually do due to age rules, I've only done two at this level before and one I failed to finish, so I really wanted this to go OK. And I completed it, ! was second to last but I don't care, I finished!!

Not sure I'd listen to any of my sage advice regarding relationships and marriage since I'm doing such a fantastic job on mine at the moment!!! Won't bore you with all the details but needless to say it's all causing lots of pain, tears, ranting, door slamming, no sleep and I think I could almost say it's worst than childbirth! But it's not like I didn't *know* it would be like this so I can only blame myself. So feeling rather tired and run down at the moment. Holidays are just two weeks away which is great as kids and i definitely need a break from all the rushing around, obviously I have CM and co coming up first week - VERY excited. Second week will prove more challenging with husband actually booked time off work ... think I may be going off to use the bivy bag I never got the chance to use on the spine race ...

17/03/2015 at 12:39

Brookie work is good thanks.  It's nice to use my brain, not be the patient, and talk to a lot of people who have no idea what I've been doing for most of the past year.  It's also a welcome distraction from cancer, thoughts and the imminent death of my father in law.  I saw him on Sunday and he told me he's given up, and he wants to die, and they have started him on morphine.  He looks like a concentration camp victim, skin stretched over bones with big hollow eyes. When we said goodbye he said I'll see you again, I almost started bawling.  If he's still alive at the wk end we'll go again, and hubby is going on Thursday, but he may not be lucid if he's had bucket loads of morphine by then.  

Less than 24 hrs after that I met my friends 1 wk old daughter for the 1st time, only 6lb so very diddy.  It was very poignant and really made me think of life and death and everything in between.  

EF you should've used newspaper

17/03/2015 at 12:41

My pilates classes are 6 wks paid in advance too, but you're always allowed to miss 2 out of the block (ie only pay for 4) which I inevitably do as hubby has to work late.  It's fine as long as he knows in advance.  Tonight I'm not going as it's a work pub quiz.....woo hoo.  Can you tell how excited I am??  My bosses really were keen that I went so I am making the effort.

17/03/2015 at 13:56

That's so tough Caro, cancer is just so horrible at the end though luckily I have not had to experience it close-up.  Glad you got new baby cuddles to lift your mood though.  How is hubby through all this?  Good that work is enjoyable again too!

Sorry not been on much recently, just busy so no excuses really.  Mum rang yesterday and sounded slightly subdued and I realised afterwards that she's just had her first Mother's Day with no mum so I wondered if that was affecting her.  Sounds as though she's not being as generous with her time for my uncle which is good, as he's just come out of hospital and has carers visiting.  I think she rings him and pops in on him regularly but hopefully she's stepped back from the full-on carer role.

Running-wise I'm up to 11.5 miles in my half marathon training with 3.5 weeks to go, and it felt ok so I'm feeling slightly reassured!  Took me 2:03 so still pretty slow but steady.  I had an energy gel halfway round and I felt quite revived on the second lap so I'm sure that must have helped.  Friends did a reccy of the new race route on Sunday and said the first half is very uphill !

Had a lovely Mother's Day with a very sweet (verging on annoying!) Sophie constantly checking I was happy!  I took her ice skating as it was £1 for mums, then lunch with MIL and Sophie and I went to the cinema in the evening to a special preview of Cinderella, which a friend's dad got us tickets for.  Then poor Sophie was up all night with croup and off school yesterday.  Still really croaky today but she's back at school.

Right must tackle this washing pile.  It's all very well having a day off on Mother's Day but not any actual use if no-one else does the chores either!

17/03/2015 at 17:10
Caro, that's horribly sad, lots of ((())). Agree about the cycle of life definitely.

JG, sounds like your running is coming on great good effort
17/03/2015 at 19:31

Yeah JG - good stuff. Energy gels definitely do help. I bought a bunch today for my half on Sunday. I think I might need them! In terms of timing - who knows really? Historically I've always enjoyed the Reading half and done OK in it, despite rsther patchy training! I did 8 miles today with E in the running buggy. Gosh it's harder pushing a 3.5 yr old compared to a small 17 month old! He fell asleep in way back so I didn't feel too guilty for making him sit still for ages. My legs feel v tired though now which is weird as normally I wouldn't feel an 8 miler and I can't believe buggy made that much difference. I therefore suspect I am fielding a virus similar to E's. So to be honest, if I get round in something near 2 hrs I'll be pleased enough. 

Hugs CC - I can't even imagine how stressful all the hubby issues must be. We are going through a bit of a rocky patch at the mo but I'm hoping it's just cos we are tired and ice hardly seen him, rather than anything more serious. Forgive me if I've missed it, but are you guys gonna try counselling or anything? 

Caro - glad work going well. Know what u mean about cancer at the end. It's tough. Right, I think/hope kids asleep so off to do some jobs! 

17/03/2015 at 21:01

Unlurking......So sorry so many of you are having a tough time.  Some fab running though and very envious of those doing an Ultra as would love to. My running currently is almost at a full stop, no mojo and also relationship and health (minor i hope) problems.

hugs to all that need them - which looks like a lot.xx

17/03/2015 at 21:37

Hugs back chynah. I hope you're ok. nice to hear from you. unlurk more often  

Camlo    pirate
17/03/2015 at 21:45

Yuck to gels

boo to missing classes, croup and cancer 

yippee to good training runs and pub quizes

Nice to 'see you' Chynah but hope that things arent too rough for you. If mojo has vanished can you jog just half a mile to see if you can find it. 

17/03/2015 at 22:43

Just back from work quiz, 70 odd vets, nurses, managers, drug reps.......and whose team got the booby prize??  Moi.  chemo brain's my excuse and I'm sticking with it!  Can't even blame booze as haven't touched a drop in over a month now.

hi chynah, hugs to you.

does anyone live remotely nr lyme regis?  Or know good kiddie things to do?  We have a cottage over easter and I'm not remotely motivated to start researching fun things.  Last yr our wk in norfolk was so perfect, despite the fact that I knew my life was about to go tits up, and I'm just worried that I'll be disappointed if this wk isn't as good.  Silly I know as I'm sure it will be great, and it will be nice to get away regardless.

17/03/2015 at 22:48

Chynah, lovely to see you over here but still love the occasional pic of your lovely littlies over on fb. Really hope your health problems are not serious. Do you have a time by which you will be reassured?  I've been thinking about you and your relationship problems too recently with everyone else's problems at the moment. 

Being called to play a game with Max but also wanted to say quickly that lump on hand was just a cyst. Hadn't really been worrying but was relieved when I got the news. Ok game awaits.....

18/03/2015 at 06:31

Glad that its nothing serious TT!

Chynah - def just try and get out, part of the best thing of running for me is that I get some time on my own!!!  Hope everything else turns out to be okay xxx

Caro - well done for going to the quiz, hope it was 'fun' even if you did get the booby prize - maybe they should change that name!!!

Blooming frosty here - think it will be a chilly run this morning!  Running with a friend who has been diagnosed with early osteoporosis and is recovering from a pelvis fracture, she's not even 40, so crap for her.

18/03/2015 at 06:41

Hello Chynah Sorry to hear things haven't been so good with you. Sending you big hugs xx

Caro - words can't really sum up how difficult I know you must be finding it to see hubby's dad like that. I remember when Ben's mum passed away - the end stage was just hideous and we all wanted her pain to be over, if you know what I mean (not least her). Thinking of you and your family xx

Great news TT Must be such a relief! 

Feeling a bit sh*t here this morning. Not Ben's fault, just the situation and discussing the problems we had prior to everything kicking off. I'm realising it all now and it's very uncomfortable. Don't want to go into details but I just need hugs.

18/03/2015 at 07:38

Ha ha Kinsey- I didn't even make the connection!

hugs nurofen. 

18/03/2015 at 08:11

Hugs from me too Nurofen - hope things are getting resolved though xxx

18/03/2015 at 08:14

Hugs nurofen. 

I hate quizzes caro. I always win the booby prize as I know nothing about music or films and I can't recognise any famous people in pictures either. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.