Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

43,021 to 43,040 of 46,047 messages
03/04/2014 at 21:39

Arghhh. Lost massive post yesterday and now forgotten what posted. I have swim mining offer at mo too. £12 for 12 swims but needs to be used in 8 weeks. Currently using that pool once a week as it's near work not home, but still a huge saving as it's £3.80 there.

Running eye totty. Well the chap I was going to Cornwall with in June for the coastal path ultra is quite good looking, much to hubbies annoyance. He calls him my 'toy boy'. He is only 27!!!. I run with the blokes from the club all the time just because I am quick and no other women to run with. I love the banter but they do forget I'm there sometimes !!!

After another week of complete rest apart from 3k swim Monday morning before work. I naughtily ran yesterday though. Physio had told me will be a couple of weeks yet, but I so needed some fresh air so just went. Managed 25 mins with zero pain. Rather chuffed, so rest again today as hubbie away and with swim lessons and long day at work it would gave been 8pm before I got on the bike or xtrainer. Opened some wine instead!!!  Will try another run tom pm when boys at footie training.

So proud of my baby girl tonight. First after school swim lesson tonight after her teacher suggested to move her up from the Friday daytime classes as she can swim. She was amazing. Not 4 until end of May, and she was as good as the others if not better who were pretty much all twice her size and a year older. Evan swam from the deep end for 10m to a woggle held by the teaching assistant. So proud of her

03/04/2014 at 21:48

Wow, MM that's some amazing swimming from the little one, well done S!  There are no indoor pools here so we tend not to swim at all through the winter, have just started getting out again for the season this last couple of weeks.  Max was on a great trajectory in the autumn but has stopped dead and maybe even gone back a little with his swimming.  Should be able to get out now every week which is good.

Have put our flights on hold, flying back on April 29 and staying for 3 weeks.  Need to go through our itinerary to make sure we can do all we want to in that time before confirming them.  Getting quite excited about going back though.  Looking at houses to rent in the Swindon area.  There are some at the Cotswold Water Park that MM I'm sure you know.  Trying to work out what will be OK from all the way over here is not easy though.  Especially as 2 places that look very similar to me are quoted at 3,300 for the 3 weeks or 1,200 for the same time!!  Why?  Unfortunately there are no guest reviews yet for the cheaper one so I can't see what's wrong with it

04/04/2014 at 02:26

I'm terrible about taking M swimming - need to go more regularly. She is very confident and really enjoys it but because we don't do lessons at the moment we never get into the habit of going weekly. Well done Sophie!!!

23 degrees today - its April - this is crazy!!! Taking full advantage but it does feel very weird and I really feel for my parents as the farm is in major drought now!

Exciting re. your trip Ttid!! Who was it who said they might move to the States? TB? I lived away from my family for 8 years but at least one of my siblings lived in London for much of that time. I missed them a lot but was made easier by knowing we'd always move home at some point. Hubby told me yesterday he feels more like a NZ'er than a Brit now which was nice to hear! Means that he feels settled here despite the on-going job stuff!

04/04/2014 at 13:40

Must be hard living so far away from family, although perhaps convenient at times too if they're a bit annoying!

I laughed the other day when the American couple who are learning French with me asked where my mum lived - I said Suffolk and they said "oh not far then"!  I was like, yeah only a 3.5hr drive!  But I had to admit that was closer than America (smiley faces not working!)

Well interview all done, just waiting to hear now if I got it or not... I think I did as well as I could have, whether I'm right for the job remains to be seen.  I blagged some of it, used made-up examples etc but I think I was convincing!

My new perfume has just arrived - Happy belated Mother's Day me

Night out tonight with some mummy friends much-needed after the week I've had, just got to try not to overdo it as really don't want a hangover!  Then friend's boys' party tomorrow and our friends coming to see us tomorrow night, and watching the Sheffield half marathon on Sunday, which hopefully won't be too depressing :/

What a pain re the payslip CM, typical that only that one goes missing

04/04/2014 at 13:56

Yes, it was me Hoggle Probably not for 3-4 years, but looking increasingly likely! 

Good luck JG  

Giovanna slept for 2.5 hours this morning! Didn't quite know what to do with myself but carried on with project playroom (don't ask, it is a bomb site and is going to take more than 2.5 days never mind hours!) and squeezed in a couple of miles on the treadmill

happy Friday everyone

04/04/2014 at 14:33

wow Tatty that would have been nice. Well done G!!

i sat in the toy room yesterday and found all the dolls clothes and dressed them as i got a new DVD through the post so was watching that. It is Runrig. The concert we were at last year for their 40th year anniversary. It was an amzing gig and watching the DVD brought it all back, a lump in my throat often as some of the songs remind me of years ago.

best of luck with the job JG...............if it was meant to be

My parents live 35 min drive from me, see them a few times a month. MIL is 10 mins away, dont see her that often although hubby pops in for his dinner the days i am working after he collects M from nursery! My wee sis is in Brighton so only see her twice a year, other 2 sisters live 45 mins drive but probably only see the a few times a year what with work etc and they have teenage kids so are always busy.

i alway wanted to live in Oz or NZ but would find it hard been on the other side of the world.

CC hope you have a great time in Torridon, gorgeous part of Scotland. I look forward to meeting you in a couple of weeks!

Havent done much today- 3 miles on the bike with M in the trailer at school drop of then 100 jumping jacks, 75 squats, 50 half press ups, 40 crunches, 20 lunges and some kettlebell swings.quick bath and then to my SIL's for coffee and so that M could play with her cousin; he is just 10 months youngr than her. THen girls home from school, lunch, tidy up and now i am on here although need to go and do washing, hoovering etc!

Dead excited as hubby and I are also actually getting away fro a night tomorrow. my mum and dad are taking the girls.We are going down to the glenlivet bike trails to spend the afternoon and then staying in Aviemore. Whoop whoop. Will hopefully get a swim in before breakfast and the maybe a cycle around loch morlich before coming back Sunday afternoon. So need to go and get all our gear together and the girls overnight stuff also.....................maybe later!

MM well done on your wee swimmer, fab.

How are you Brookie? ((((()))))

Flip CM your work still being twats then? When do u leave?

Arghhhhhhh canna remember anything else, sorry to those i missed, memory really is like a seive sometimes.

04/04/2014 at 15:51

Random Friday question: Matilda has been riding a bike for over a yr now, no probs, goes down hills, off road etc.  She has an isla bike with no gears that she has admittedly outgrown, but we're not getting her a new one till her b day.  Do you think cycling 9 miles is reasonable?  It is a flat, off road purpose built path next to a steam train line in Norfolk.  My idea is she and I cycle and the boys take the train, then we all take the train back - not a race, just us having a nice mummy/daughter cycle ride.

04/04/2014 at 18:30
RF & CC - hope you both have good trips, I'm jealous!

JG - fingers crossed for your job!

Caro - I would say 9 flat miles on one of those little bikes is probably possible, but is a pretty long way on small wheels. Isabelle did 12 miles a couple of months ago, but it wasn't all in one go, and she's got the bigger geared bike with 20" wheels. 14" wheels will mean an awful lot of turning for M's poor legs! Have you got a trail gator? Might be a worthwhile investment for when E's bigger and is perfect for what you want to do. When E starts riding the bike M's on now, she'll be able to go much further so it will mean you can all ride together without worrying as much about how far E can go. We used ours loads with Isabelle and I'm sure it will be in use again soon for our E.
04/04/2014 at 19:29

Hello all!

Still lurking occasionally. Caro LB did 10 miles on the Camel Trail on one of those bikes when he was 4 so M should be OK as long as there aren't any steep hills.

04/04/2014 at 19:31

Caro- don't think my girls would have managed but maybe if its very flat and you take plenty of breaks she might manage???

Thanks Vixo. Very excited, don't know when we last did any thing together without kids, years probably!

04/04/2014 at 19:36

Does anyone have any sleeping bag advice??? Have decided to buy one for the mountain marathon as I guessed having 3 kids a good sleeping bag would be an investment for cold cub camps etc etc In the future.

Found a good down sleeping bag last night which went to - 5 and had good reviews and also good value but of course not in stock for the foreseeable future. All the other ones that I have looked at, Rab etc are heavier and much more expensive. Arghhhhhhhh. Anyone got any advice on one?? Needs to be light, pack tiny and be warm and not cost a small fortune!! Hahahahaha. Anyway going to go and research more now with a glass of wine!!!! Happy Friday all x

04/04/2014 at 19:55
No idea RF, but a silk liner can add a couple of degrees warmth and packs up tiny, with the added advantage of being easily washable to preserve the inside of your sleeping bag! We took them when we went to Patagonia and they were great.
05/04/2014 at 07:56

Haha RF, didnt do much...then lists a killer squat, lunge etc etc session! 

No idea on bike stamina Caro but most youngsters have oodles so Id go for it!

RB - glad to see you still lurk a bit, how is LB getting on and equally important are you running?  

Boo to job JG

I have family close by, sis is a great help 5 mins away. My mother is useless and is the closest parent of the lot (10 mins. Still not forgiven her for taking my birthday present) my dad and inlaws are 30 mins away and they are all coming over later for another seafood feast.

Stuck with kids all day so swimming lesson and party..... Missing a chance of a sea swim

05/04/2014 at 10:10

I'm not sure I share your sadness at missing a sea swim Camlo!

Parkrun done, first in ages.  According to my garmin I was 20.19 which matches my PB....I am just hoping the parkrun timer says 2018  It was a killer though, was retching at the end which I haven't done for ages, and coughing loads, not a pretty sight to behold!

Thanks for you bike input, nice to see you're still lurking RB.  Can't remember if I have asked what bikes people got for their kiddies when they first moved onto gears.  Vixo/RB?  The Isla ones are so expensive!

PG3
05/04/2014 at 11:09

Caro Nice one on the PR. I was about to say your pb matches mine, then I realized mine is something like 25.19. Defo not the same. I hope PR records a pb for you.

Cm - I can't believe your work won't resend the payslip. We have online payslips (my depts work ) but payroll will reprint and stamp for anyone requesting. Your work sound like a'holes but I think you know that.

Camlo - sea swim sounds good but not in the uk. A friend is off for a lake swim today! Yikes. I did a 5k race last year in may and that was bad enough at 12 degrees. For once, being a lard arse was an advantage!!

My 3 yr old daughter is really playing up and winges constantly. We are being really strict with her but its so draining. I guess its the new baby and possibly her age but I am not enjoying it. She is good as gold at nursery. I guess we just press on with being strict??

05/04/2014 at 12:01

Caro our boys cycled 9-10 miles on their 14 inch bikes When they were 5. Halfords not Isla. They did have brakes though. They biked 15 last year on hols on their 20 inch alu bikes with 7 gears (halfords again, can't afford x2 Isla bikes!!) but with a break at the beach for lunch and swimming.

Has the 14 inch Isla not got brakes? Sophie is now riding properly and we want to get her a lighter bike for her 4th birthday, she struggles with the weight if her steel bike we got from a friend but she is still so small. Her balance bike had a brake so she has got the hang of that and the steel bike has too. Other alloy or aluminium 14 inch bikes all have stabilisers which is a waste of money for her. 

4.7 miles run last night with zero pain. Woohoo!! Too late for mara but pondering if ultra in 9 weeks might be feasible? Last 20 miler was Feb 16th, but have done plenty of endurance type stuff on xtrainer and swimming. Just swam 3k again and am getting quicker finally. 1500 in 27 mins today. Going to try and keep swimming once a week I think, although still don't much like it!! 

Boys lost their match again, but the team is bonding well now. I think they are def playing better. What is noticeable is how fast our boys are, when they run they are 2-3m ahead if everyone very quickly!! Just can't finish very well as so many near misses from them today. 

Time for bacon and eggs to feed the hungry army!!! Wondering whether kids can wait till 1pm as hubbie out on his bike.

Well done on PB Caro, catching me!! Never been great at 5k I am an mileage queen like Lotte.

05/04/2014 at 13:53
MM - all the Isla bikes have brakes, even the balance bikes. I think the huge advantage of them is that they're lightweight so much easier for children to ride. You could look at the cnoc 16 which has 16" wheels so would hopefully last her a bit longer. Good news on the running, hope it continues!

Caro - we've stuck with islabikes on the basis that they'll be able to be handed down to both the others. Isabelle got a Beinn 20 small for her 5th birthday. Depending on how tall M is you might be able to get away with the 20 large which might last a bit longer, but would possibly mean that E wouldn't be big enough for it as quickly as he would if you got the small - does that make any sense?!!
05/04/2014 at 16:41

Thanks Vixo. We think the cnoc 16 will be too big for her. She is 98cm with short legs bless her, takes after me!!! We will re-measure her and work it out. Think we can afford one Isla bike, it was the factor of 2 with the boys and we are pretty pleased with their bikes. They get some pounding as the boys use them all the time. Hubbie very clued up on bikes being a triathlete and now tri coach.

Feeling rather chuffed with ourselves. Allotment just dug over and parsnips sown. We have got a much smaller plot but retained the asparagus bed so very pleased and its much more manageable.

Looking forward to seeing if I can run for an hour tomorrow. Fingers crossed!! 

Off out for dinner tonight as Grandad here. Really looking forward to some time with hubbie, its been too long.

05/04/2014 at 20:16

Sorry MM it def has brakes!  Did I say no brakes?  I meant no gears!!!  M got the cnoc 14 for xmas when she was 3.5 so by the time she gets a new one for her 6th b day it will have done 2.5 yrs.  She is small Vixo, way way smaller than Isabelle so couldn't get away with a large anything!  Eric on the other hand is a big boy so I think he will get less use out of the cnoc 14 when he gets it as he will outgrow it too fast.  

I am planning a buggy run with M on bike on Monday so we'll see how we get on.  

Parkrun wasn't a PB, it was recorded as 20.19!  Annoying but I was beyond any sort of speed by the end. Even if I had known I was close I dont think I could have done anything about it.  

Meeting Minks at 7.30am tomorrow for a 10 miler in her neck of the woods.  The forecast is heavy rain!  Oh well......will be far easier with company

05/04/2014 at 20:41

Boo to not beating your pb Caro. Have fun with Minks tomorrow. I love that some of us meet up sometime. 

Must be the night for nights out, Mr TT and I are out later too. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.