Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

43,041 to 43,060 of 46,345 messages
05/04/2014 at 21:51

I'm still running Camlo but not enough to tackle a marathon.Combination of illness, dodgy knee and age!

LB is fab. Lovely little boy. He went from 14 inch Isla to 20 inch Isla with 7 gears. Combination of light weight and good gears means that he can cycle up any hill ow. The smaller frame size just overlaps with the 14 inch Isla so would be fine for M if she's outgrown the 14 inch. LB is small and he was OK with the 20 inch (smaller frame) when he was 5.5 years. Although they are more expensive, Islabikes hold their value better than Halfords bikes. I got £150 for his 14 inch when I sold it on ebay after hundreds of miles of use!

05/04/2014 at 21:56

Thanks for the commiserations ladies - didn't get the job disappointed initially but there'll be something better along soon I hope.  Good feedback and tricky questions so hats off to the successful candidate!  "Describe a time when you have stood up for your beliefs and won" ???!

Good running Caro!  Fingers crossed for pain-free running MM.  I'm back at the physio on Friday for a check-up. Not sure if things are improving or not - I did 2 consecutive days last weekend and paid for it with a painful hamstring for a couple of days, but maybe I just overdid it.

Uh oh here's a poxy girl who can't sleep

06/04/2014 at 06:28

Good point about the re sale value RB.  M's will go through 2 kids but prob still wont have done as many miles as RB's did!  A uni friend bought a baby jogger on e bay last wk for £228 so good to know they still go for a decent amount when the time comes to say bye to mine.

Well am up, eating breakfast in prep for my run with Minks......I went to bed super early last night (prob whilst MM was still having her main course!) as I was really tired and knew I'd have to get up early.  Woken at 11.45pm - Mummy I;ve been sick.  It was everywhere!!  Carpet, bed, teddy, etc.  So cleaned it all up - repeat at 2am but mostly in the bathroom this time thank god.  I guess given that this is the first time we've had puking in the night and she's nearly 6 it's not bad going, but did it have to be last night??  I hope I'm not abandoning hubby to a really ill child (plus Eric who wont really do sympathy!) .........

PG3
06/04/2014 at 07:03

Caro enjoy your run. Don't feel bad. Sounds like you did the nightshift cleaning up. If anything still smells I believe you can use bicarb of soda although you might want to check that. I am certainly no domestic goddess!

Jg - sorry you didn't get the job.

My husband was doing the nightshift last night so I could get a proper nights sleep. At 3am I heard crying and checked he was OK. Found an almost broken looking man muttering that the baby wouldn't sleep and had been awake for hours and hours. We swapped over so he could get some rest.

I had four bets on the national yesterday. Three fell early on and the other was about sixth. It makes a more exciting race though. We all made it out for the afternoon yesterday. Bit stressful with a winging toddler and crying baby but all four of us made it back in one piece. 

06/04/2014 at 08:43

Yippee to resale value on our gems, nights out, meeting up for runs, veg bed and no pain MM.

Boo to vomming kids (2 spews off Tom yest), Pip's crying baby and lack of sleep, crappy inteview question JG and not backing a winner on the national (we had £15 over 8 horses and only 2 finished!)

Lovely evening with inlaws and my dad last night with another huge paella, looking out  at a very wet, rainy wales this morning so am giving running club a miss! 

06/04/2014 at 09:06

Ggrrrrrrrr Archie's tap wasnt properly closed so have just rescued him from a bed containing at least a litre of wee, poor boy was positively wrinkly! 

06/04/2014 at 09:24

Oh no Caro not what you needed. Yes we did eat late but was a lovely evening. I even had a pre-dinner cocktail!! 

Boo to the no PB Caro. Hubbie out on his bike now and I'm popping out in a bit. Hubbie taking the boys to watch the duathlon at the race circuit this morning and get their hair cut. Then a spot of swimming this afternoon if madam's cough is OK.

Isla bikes do hold their value but at the time of purchasing for the twins we simply could not afford 2x20" bikes at £300 a pop. The boys 20" alu 7 gear bikes were in a sale and were £120 each, and that was a struggle at the time. They too can cycle anywhere and big hills but that might be more their fitness level than the gears. Hubbie just had a bonus so we think we can afford one for Sophie but will be the 14" as she is way too small for the 16" her legs are so short. Just bought new washing machine too as that died and with the vet bill for our poorly cat, big money spends this month. Eeek!

06/04/2014 at 09:25

Oh no Camlo. Yuck. Poor Archie 

06/04/2014 at 10:03

Thanks MM, he is fine after standing under the shower for so long he drained the hot water tank! 

Something attacked our ducks yesterday, only bitten their heads and neck and they were very traumatised. Hubby dispatched one straight away as it was in distress but this morning it has vanished. I am bloody terrified now that we have ?pole cat, mink, fox, wolf, big cat, what???? 

Meant to ask - who is doing London? 

06/04/2014 at 10:11

Is anyone camlo??

lovely run with minks, 11 miles dusted and duster by 9am.  Dry at the start then the rain came and it was very soggy and would have been positively unpleasant had it not been for the lovely route and company.  Pretty much all on paths with no cars, amazing for round here.  Now showered, and scoffing 2 hot cross buns as am starving!

m seems ok, quiet and not eating but no more spew.

boo to the leaky tap.......

glad you had a nice time MM

06/04/2014 at 20:16

Boo to leaky tap Camlo, poor Archie   Scary about the ducks - which is most likely?

Well you've probably seen on my FB and/or the news what a farce the Sheffield Half Marathon was today .  I went down to watch, after deciding a couple of months ago that I was going to have to give it a miss this year because of my hip/glute problem. I was with a couple of friends waiting and wondering why the first runners hadn't come through yet, then a message came through on the grapevine that the start was delayed by half an hour, but still no runners after 15 mins or so.  Then another Chinese whisper that it had been cancelled, then that it had been cancelled but some were running it anyway!  Then lo and behold round the corner came the first runners who were by no means the elite or the fastest (who had obviously decided not to bother running) and had ripped their numbers off.  The rest trickled through but it was only about half the field, we reckoned.  Runners were all mixed up so faster ones were with slower ones and vice versa.

Anyway we then heard the rumour that there was no water on the route, so we went off to buy some and waited till the runners came back down on their way back and gave a few drinks out.  Other supporters went off and bought big boxes of water to hand out, but it all went!  So all in all an odd experience, but all but one of my friends ran it anyway - the one who didn't heard it was cancelled and was cold after waiting at the delayed start for 45 mins so headed straight off to get his bag, not realising people had set off!  I'm very glad I didn't bother this year!  Everyone's suspicious because it's the first year it hasn't started in the infamous Don Valley stadium and clearly something has gone wrong.

Sorry bit of a waffle there!  In other news, Sophie has chicken pox - came out on Fri night and been getting more every day so she's absolutely covered, poor thing.  She's being very good about it though.  No school tomorrow though and probably not Tues/Wed .

Lotte's on her way back from skiing apparently and it looks as though they've had a fantastic time!  Glad you and MInks had a good run, Caro!

06/04/2014 at 20:47

JG, I can imagine there will be some serious explaining to do by the water organiser/ supplier! Surely they could advised people about the water and allowed a staggered start to allow helpers to keep up with the flow via hosepipes and cups if necessary! 

Boo to chicken pox, at least it gets it out the way, I found porridge oats in a sock and run under the tap helped sooth the boys. 

No idea what has taken the ducks but it is going to be caught soon if it comes anywhere near the shed which is now booby trapped so it will catch whatever pops up in there! 

Rained all day here but managed a block of 10m bike, 3m run in prep for my tri next weekend! 

06/04/2014 at 21:51

Apparently the PA system was not set up to inform the runners either, so most of them ran the race without even knowing it was cancelled or that there was potentially no water!

06/04/2014 at 23:46

Ohhh that's terrible JG!! I'd have been gutted if I'd done all that training!

07/04/2014 at 22:07

So I'm slightly bemused with parkrun on Sat.  when I finished I thought I was first lady which is what I told hubby when I came home.  I started at the front and wasnt overtaken by any women.  So when the results came through and it said I was third I was a bit amazed, but the times were out of my league so i suppose they could have been so far ahead that I didn't see them, but I also didn't see them at the end so they must have whizzed off pretty fast.  Then today someone posted hundreds of photos on the website and there is no sign of any women in front of me.  So I checked the results again and now I am second lady, one of the others has disappeared........the others one is a JW 15-17 who supposedly finished a minute ahead of me, but she was a first timer so there are no other times for me to compare with.

anyway, I know it's only parkrun but still.......it's a bit odd.

rainy today, not really a great day, Matilda and I clashed a lot.  Her behaviour wasnt great but don't think mine was either.  Looking forward to getting away next wk.

08/04/2014 at 12:08

Ooo. That is annoying Caro. How many runners in the field? You would think you'd have seen her at least?

Awful day here too yesterday, kids didn't get much fresh air, but they seemed OK for it, lazy days are good sometimes and Grandad seemed to cope OK with the boys.

WFH today till 2pm which is going OK, they seem to be getting on OK. Then off to The Courts garden NT near Bradford on Avon this afternoon with the neighbour and her kids.

10k ran this morning at 8mm, couple of times it niggled but seemed OK. Now have delightful pink khaki patterned taping!!! Rocking the 'rock tape'!! If I do make it to the ultra in June, what's the bare minimum I can get away with training wise in distance CC and Lotte? It's 44 miles on coast path. Think I will go with both knees taped if I do make it!!

Anyhoo, that's 20 miles in total since last Weds, plus 2x3k swim sessions (with sprints to get the old heart rate up). Feeling hopeful?

PG3
08/04/2014 at 17:18

I heard about Sheffield half. What a farce!

Caro - weird about the PR. Sounds like you were first lady.

I went to see the physio yesterday who started me with some very gentle exercises. She also gave me that look when I mentioned Abingdon marathon in Oct. She thinks its too soon. I will keep the place and see. Defo up for a spring marathon though. Brighton or Manchester. I can't decide. Anyone have any ideas? Brighton is closer but I believe you have to register the day before which is a pain. Also the wind could be bad. Manchester is further but pancake flat, although Brighton is supposedly pretty flat. Hmmm. 

Hope everyone is well. Baby Isaac is good. I reached for Gina ford after ending up in tears on Sunday and wondering what I had done. He seems happier with proper daytime sleeping. I won't be Gina ford super strict but I like having some structure to my day/life.

08/04/2014 at 18:55

Pip, Brighton is good. And yes, flat! Great atmosphere, I thought. And registering the day before means you have to make a weekend of it Know what you mean about structure! We don't do Gina but we have a sort of routine of our own. Very annoying when it goes wrong - like the last few nights she has been waking three times for feeds, argh. I am pooped! She is actually really hungry (takes full feeds) so have tried some baby rice today to see if it helps. She is 20 weeks old now and EBF so probably needs it. 

Good news MM - nice tape!

How is S, JG? 

Well, I seem to have entered a 10k! There was a number going spare and I couldn't say no... 11th May! Five weeks to get fitter  

08/04/2014 at 23:00

Woohoo nice race distance to aim for Tatty! You have done well to get to 20wks with just boob so a bit of grub may help you get your sleep back. 

Pip - hilly or flat they are all tough! Logistics are very important for me so brighton would get it. Glad you are showing Isaac who is boss! 

MM i did my 45milers on nothing longer than 20 If i recall. Fab that the taping is helping.

Caro- maybe there was a cross dresser or two? 

Busy day and just scrapped running club but not exactly fulfiling as we were a huge group and because i am so 'nice' i ended up accompanying the slowest runner to make sure she was ok. 5 miles in 1hr 35 mins........ Went to the chippy after and ate my huge salad pitta whilst running a hot bath to remedy my hypothermia. 

08/04/2014 at 23:59

Sophie's doing better thanks TB, still covered head to toe (literally) in spots, and new ones on her face and in mouth today  but she slept in till 7.45am (normally up by 6.30) and spent the day at grandparents' and seems ok.  Still blisters so no school tomorrow as well...probably get her back in on Friday if we're lucky .  I'm checking Nicky too...!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.