Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

43,041 to 43,060 of 47,218 messages
21/10/2013 at 22:31

oh CM - such a bu**er re the alternative job role, especially given they asked for you too - so even though your atrocious manager at the moment doesn't recognise what you do, it's clearly NOT unnoticed!!!   Go into that surgery tomorrow morning and pretend you are your daughter having one of her worst dramatic moments . (())

Caro - it's the final bits to get me to Level 3 Mat Pilates (basically the stuff you have to do if you are a personal trainer), so level 3 anatomy & physiology + principles of exercise, fitness and health. I've done some of this before for my sports massage and gym instructor level 1 but this is in more detail and quite frankly my brain is going to explode. So much info whirling around in brain that I am not sleeping properly either!!!

Meant to start my classes back up next week, but am going to delay a week so I can maximise kids being back at school and get some decent stretches done to finish it all off ... really do not want to be doing this again!!

Hoggle - shame about the bikes gathering dust - I love getting out on mine. The bike trailer became my new best friend once J was born, used it to bike he and I everywhere when I couldn't run.

With my plantar fasciwotsit I used to roller bottle of frozen water on sole of my foot and then go for it with really deep massage. Also pay attention to the calves - and yes - as CAmlo says, sleeping on front is a no no unless you let your feet hang over end of bed ... shortens the Achilles tendon as is permanently contracted in that position.

Right, am away to my bed I think ready for another hour in the morning before kids get going ...

22/10/2013 at 10:48

don't envy you your study, cc. i am contemplating all my options now - including retraining as a teacher. i just don't think there is the demand in Wales for ML teachers, and i don't think i would want to teach primary... also wondering if i am capable of retraining. old dog new tricks etc.

N has forwarded me email from the director who had asked for me on that new piece of work. "Do we know why Louise is taking time off ? Is there anything we can do to help. She comes very highly recommended." Ha-effing-ha. Shame my boss doesn't think that, isn't it? 

22/10/2013 at 11:06
CM - could you email this guy directly? Obviously being subtle about the difficulties, but maybe bypassing your boss?

It would be great if you could make it down to Winchester in December. I'll message you through Facebook about it!
22/10/2013 at 11:15

Cm - I honestly wouldn't recommend retraining as a teacher. I'm currently looking into retraining as I've had enough. Jobs are very difficult to come by (and I have friends in mfl who can't get jobs) and I think morale is even worse in secondary than primary. Welsh Govt is bringing in new initiatives right, left and centre and they all contradict each other. Morale is the worst I've ever known it. I keep wondering if where I'm working is the crux of the problem, but I think it's basically where it's going. I'm thinking of retraining as an occupational therapist, I don't have the right A levels though so will have to find out if my accredited prior learning will count or if it's back to school!

im guessing the director wanted you to receive his email if it got sent to N? Might be worth doing as Vixo suggests?

22/10/2013 at 11:16

Ps fully expecting those of you in health to tell me not to do it!!!

22/10/2013 at 11:49

no the director doesn't know about me and N, so he wasn't expecting it to get back to me. he has now emailed me directly saying it's a shame i can't do it as it is a great opportunity for 'someone strong like you'. I really don't think I am in the right place to take on this lead role though. it's very front-line and will be extremely high profile, which would normally be fine. but I think at the moment I would just crumble...

vixo - I have emailed the chairman and she has responded confirming i'm in. just a leetle nervous about the repertoire. can't see anything medieval in it. hopefully it will be fun anyway, and N might be able to come. he knows Winchester well as his son studied there.

I have a friend in MFL who also can't get a job, JT. I wondered whether it was just him - he's great but a bit of an oddball - but maybe not. I just don't know what I can do though. anyone got any ideas for someone with a degree in German and Russian, with 15 years experience in managing IT services?

22/10/2013 at 12:57

Caro- glad u liked the skates, I thought they were good quality and sturdy too. 

Should get a few yrs use out of them too, with being adjustable. 

Thanks for advice on PF Camlo and CC, I can't sleep on tummy 

anyway, kills my back and I have got In habit of flexing my foot 

anytime I wake during the night. I don't tend to get that 

really bad bit 1st thing in morn pain usually associated with 

PF, tends to b walking that aggravates it and it only starts to niggle at 

7miles into a run. Only started on my last long run 2weeks b4 

Sunday's race. I was 7miles into a 14mile run and running dwn a steep hill, classic trigger apparently. 

22/10/2013 at 13:04

I used the frozen water bottle when I had it bad 3yrs ago. Think I'll b getting foam roller 

out for quads and calves tonight. Ran 3miles this morn and felt fab 

and did 8miles on exercise bike, again felt fine. Calves and quads just 

feeling tight when walking and stretching.

Foot feels good today tho, hoping that keeping runs under 

6-8 miles for next 4 months will banish the PF. Going to go for 

a proper gait analysis at run4it early next yr to get some new 

shoes b4 start training for EMF and Lochalsh dirty 30. Fed up with losing toenails and getting blisters everytime I run over 

15miles.

22/10/2013 at 13:07

CM - sorry don't have any advice but if the head guy has such 

high opinion of you then I am sure there will b equally good/better opportunities come up in the future.

22/10/2013 at 17:29

CM - I agree with tangy, there is obviously a great opinion of you out there, despite your totally incompetent boss!!  Real shame you don't feel you can give it a bash.

JT - have no idea about working in that sector, but I think you'd be fab.

I'm enjoying what I'm studying, it's just the pressure of the exam and trying to do everything at the moment!! and just dread the thought of failing it - have to get 70% for each paper ...

TT - I had a random flare up of PF earlier in the year when I was having other injury problems, I just kept doing really nasty deep massage into the crunchy bits under my heel and kept easy paced running and it just drifted away.

mammoth cleaning fest this afternoon - BORING but necessary, after a walk beside Findhorn river this morning. Strange weather, virtually no wind (unheard of) and 14 degrees.

22/10/2013 at 18:08

Saw my friend who is doing her PGCE at the moment at the wk end, and totally admire her for re training (previous role was medical sales) with 2 kids etc, it is so time consuming.  I am so done with exams and studying!!

22/10/2013 at 20:37

sadly, it's not one of those things you can give a bash. it's very high profile, so if you under-deliver, even marginally, you will be slaughtered. and I can't put myself through that at the moment

cocked up tonight with E. she was in the bath, so I jokingly asked her what she thought her teacher would say about her at parents' consultation tomorrow morning and asked her whether she had been good? she suddenly became utterly distraught and begged me not to speak to her teacher. it transpires that she got into trouble today for shoving another girl in a line because she was standing in the wrong place and wouldn't move (bossy? my daughter? nooooo!). anyway, she was reprimanded, said sorry and that was it. this girl is one of her good friends too, and they played together after school without any fuss. but suddenly she became terrified that her teacher was going to make a big deal of this one incident to the point where she was retching, snottering and generally inconsolable. she went to bed an hour and a half ago and I can still hear her sobs. feel awful now - I was only trying to have a laugh!

22/10/2013 at 20:59

Its tricky CM when they are that tired anyway, Martha appeared twice after I had put her to bed, then came up with 'Miss Bounds said that if I was scared I should put on my light and read'.  Obviously that is not what I want, she started blubbing when I put her light out too!  Roll on half term!

23/10/2013 at 10:57

roll on half term indeed!

well predictably E's parents' consultation was fine: Miss R couldn't even recall the incident when E had had an altercation with another child in a line! I had forgotten how light on information reception consultations are though! the only thing that came out was that E is terrible for fussing when other children don't do what they are supposed to do. she's such a goody two shoes that she can't stand it when the other kids don't follow suite.

I have a sick note. albeit only for a week. and the next available GP's apt is now 7/11 so I have booked that. sigh.

23/10/2013 at 10:57

roll on half term indeed!

well predictably E's parents' consultation was fine: Miss R couldn't even recall the incident when E had had an altercation with another child in a line! I had forgotten how light on information reception consultations are though! the only thing that came out was that E is terrible for fussing when other children don't do what they are supposed to do. she's such a goody two shoes that she can't stand it when the other kids don't follow suite.

I have a sick note. albeit only for a week. and the next available GP's apt is now 7/11 so I have booked that. sigh.

23/10/2013 at 12:17

I am such a div, I just spent ages looking for a discussion about ereaders I thought you had started on here Caro - I just realised its on Facebook.  Wondering whether to get hubby one for Christmas for when he travels?

23/10/2013 at 16:22

I'm ready for the end of half-term now!!!

23/10/2013 at 16:23

Poor you CM  - you never can tell what reaction you'll get!!  I got that comment about Sophie in Reception too - always quick to tell the teacher who wasn't doing good sitting/listening etc!  Tough one on the job front but you should be really pleased about that comment you weren't meant to see - you are clearly a valued and talented member of staff .

And a PGCE is definitely time-consuming as well as energy-consuming - I don't know how anyone does it with young children!  I did it pre-wedding and children and was still shattered, although then I got a teaching job and was even more tired...!  It's also emotionally draining, which is the bit I find hardest, I'm not very good at switching off my emotions so if a student has wound me up I tend to take that home with me.  Regularly sobbed in the car on the way home from school in my first year !

Just got my Leeds Abbey Dash number , still a few weeks to go and it's only 10k but it's meant to be a fast flat route so I'm quite looking forward to it.  Got to miss circuits tonight though as no babysitter and hubby begged me to let him play football....  Then we're away at my mum's Fri-Sun so no exercise for me as I feel too guilty leaving hubby with his MIL, although thinking about it I deal with mine all the time!

Tomorrow I've got a sort of informal interview/meeting with someone who runs a language tutoring agency, so fingers crossed something positive comes out of that.  Bit hacked off with my work today, just feeling unappreciated and uninformed , ho hum.

And I'm going into Sophie's school to help tomorrow too, thought I might as well do something with my free mornings.  There was talk of me teaching some French...not sure about that, I don't do little children other than my own !

23/10/2013 at 17:41

no, I don't do small children either - not sure I even do my own

the problem with E's desire to have everyone behave is that she actually takes matters into her own hands. she doesn't tell the teacher; she tries to sort it out herself! independent wee madam that she is. never had this problem with J - he was always the one in trouble because he wouldn't sit still / keep his hands to himself!

just made J's art teacher cry. whoops. her husband died suddenly last week, so I made an enormous chocolate cake with four different toppings (in quarters - smarties; maltesers; white chocolate buttons with sprinkles on them; dolly mixtures) and chocolate fingers round the outside. I am looking after her grandchildren tomorrow during the funeral, and she has a houseful today so I thought a cake might cheer everyone up. but I should have thought about it also making her cry.

23/10/2013 at 19:07

She was probably so touched you'd thought of her cm. And it's often the little things that make you Go. Don't feel bad, it was a really kind thing to do. 

PGCE looks a nightmare. V glad I dId a B.Ed even if it does show my age!  But agree jg the first year of teaching is horrendous. Our NQT looks Terrible at the mo!

Kinsey - I have a bog standard kindle. Does everything i want, light and I prefer the page simulated screen. Not sure if all are the same but only need wifi to download books. iPad is useless as a kindle as if no wifi no reading!

cm - did have to laugh about E, there's always one. I'm guessing she's also the one who can be relied upon to take register/deliver a message/tidy up too?

slughtly  odd day. Went back to work, thought I'd show my face with the lurgy still there So no sniping potentially! (Ha ha!) consultant this after, provisional date of 9th Janfor c section and do I want to be sterilised at same time?! Did not see that coming! Seems odds of failure are fairly high though (1:100) so not sure if it's worth it. Left me speechless for once 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.