Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

43,061 to 43,080 of 45,459 messages
23/10/2013 at 19:16

omg to the sterilisation JT. blimey! are they trying to drop you a hint!

yes, E is extremely eager to please apparently. not so much evidence of that at home, although she does HATE being on the naughty spot at home, so i guess it's the same character trait - ie she desperately doesn't want to be in trouble! i have seen an absolutely monumental transformation in her behaviour since she started school. she PLAYS. BY HERSELF! for AGES!!!! this has never been known previously. granted, she is in the lounge, having brought her mat down from her bedroom so that all her dolls can sit on it while she bosses them around and teaches them phonics and all the songs from school. but it is incredible as she has never ever been able to entertain herself for a single second without me watching or joining in before. so i bloody love E's teacher for transforming my daughter into a child that doesn't need my attention for every second of the day!

J has a kindle and loves it. just a bog standard one - not a paperwhite one or whatever it is. cheapest one there was.

23/10/2013 at 19:44

I got am email from Waterstones and they have £20 off some Kindles plus you get a £20 voucher so it looks like a good deal although I havn't done my research properly yet.

naughty mummy, I just got rumbled having hula hoops and a glass of wine for dinner by Martha.  I ate too much lunch and just wanted something savoury and the wine was open but I still feel a bit like I have been doing something sneaky!

23/10/2013 at 19:46

CM, I am sure she appreciated the cake, sometimes people being kind is what sets you off although I am sure she was chuffed.

JT, ooh, do you think you will do it?  Wonder if they offer that often?

23/10/2013 at 19:47

CM, that was a really kind gesture, not to mention it sounds yummy, I would probably cry if you gave one to me! 

That's lovely what a positive  impact school has had on E, Max is a little like that too, likes to dob in the others if they are not doing exactly what they are supposed to.  Little snitch!

JT , that would have probably left me speechless too and I'm way older than you!

23/10/2013 at 19:54

I have a friend (actually, she is even less 'known' to me than you lot as I have never met her!!  - was introduced to her by a friend who met her on a plane once and they were both playing words with friends and she thought we would enjoy playing together!!  We almost met once as she doesn't live all that far away but she was at the wrong Starbucks!) - OK so REALLY tenuous but we have chatted a lot via messages and a few times on the phone.  She is in London at the moment (mainly to watch the American football game at Wembley - Jaguars are my local team, GO JAGS!).  Anyway she keeps texting me this afternoon, she is staying at The Ritz and is waiting for he husband and sons to join her tomorrow.  I just reminded her that the clocks go back this weekend (it's not until next week here) and I think she thought I was winding her up!  At least she can google to confirm.

Sorry, lots of waffle about nothing there!

Kinsey, hula hoops and wine, sounds like a perfect dinner to me.  We introduced Max to hula hoops when we were back in UK last year, sadly can't get them here, thankfully he has now forgotten they exist as he kept going on about them for ages.

Oh, that reminds me, he wants me to dig his toy hamster and bike helmet out of storage here at the office, I hunted for them yesterday but couldn't find them, better go and rummage through some more boxes.....

23/10/2013 at 20:35

Ha ha yes cm! I did wonder!

I think she said it's protocol at 30+ still a shocker. As long as it's not in the manner of Scandinavia last century I'll cope. Having looked, it's not worth it either. You still get periods and there's a 1:100 chance of failure! I think someone else can go instead

As for playing schools.  I had one parent begging me to ask her child to stop! Mum constantly had to be a pupil and I think a few hours a day drove her demented  

Tt - good luck with your finding! 

23/10/2013 at 20:36

Ps kinsey your dinner sounds lush as they'd say round here! 

23/10/2013 at 20:52

Kinsey hubby has got me a Nook HD for my x mas pressie - they are going v cheaply now as I think Barnes and Noble are discontinuing them.  I originally was going to get a basic Kindle but then discovered you are totally dependednt on buying books from amazon, whereas with other e readers you can download library books - for free, just like a real library book.  Now this is where I start to sound like I know what I'm talking about but I don't.....the nook hd has android so I can apparantly download the kindle app, meaning I can buy bookds from lots of places incl amazon, and get the library books.  It's small, and because it is essentially a tablet not just an e reader I presume I can download apps and things and watch telly, but that's not why I got it.  It was £79, and my friend who reviews these things for PC Pro magazine rated it very highly. 

Here is his page of reviews of simple e readers

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/ebook-readers

and here is the one for the nook hd

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/tablets/378385/barnes-noble-nook-hd

23/10/2013 at 20:59

Caro

23/10/2013 at 21:10

I like your husband, Caro  

OMG JT!!!! 

I would definitely cry if someone made me a cake right now! Sounds lovely, CM

My sides are hurting from laughing. Just had a rant at Ben about his dad being a pain in the butt again (pushy grandparent syndrome - he was suggesting that he stay overnight here while I am in hospital and be here when I get home!!!!! ) but he just has this way about him that makes me reassured and amused all at once. I think the issue is solved now Oh, and JP let slip that it's a girl when FIL didn't want to know. Whoops.

24/10/2013 at 14:26

I went round to my friend's house last night - her family were there but she was insistent I must come. so I did. spent the whole night bouncing round the 7 week old baby. at one point she fell sound asleep on me, and I put her down but she only slept for 40 mins and woke again screaming. ah - brings back memories! didn't get home till 1.30am - dirty stop out

anyway I have just babysat the grandchildren for her while the family was at the funeral. I was slightly worried because the 4 and 2 yr-old are very shy kids, and I was worried they would cry the whole time. but they were fine. they don't really know me (they live in Swindon) but they were fine digging all the toys out and playing with me. I really do need to have a sort out of toys in the playroom. there are so many random things in there now that they don't play with!

24/10/2013 at 18:51

That's sweet CM that the kids were happy with you. I wish you lived near me, I could use a great friend who not only looks after my kids but brings me chocolate overload cakes. 

24/10/2013 at 19:11

I could use a friend to babysit my kids and bring me crisps (and gin) lol. actually, I don't need it really because I have too many nights without them anyway. although I am lucky today. thurs is T's night but J's piano lesson was cancelled on Monday and I sneakily got it rearranged to today; and he also has a school disco tonight. so I have picked him up from school, taken him to piano, brought him home and fed him tomato soup and taken him to his first ever disco. and afterwards I will pick him up and take him to his dad's. T lives a good 25 mins from school so for him to have picked J up after work, he would have had to hang around (with E) until the disco started as there wouldn't have been time to get back to his house. he then would have had to hang around until it finishes (at 8pm) with E which is too late a night for her. so I have (selfishly, of course) helped him out - not just so I can squeeze an extra few hours with my main boy at all. no no no

24/10/2013 at 19:26
Nice one CM!!!

Last day of training today then flying home tonight. I miss my family!!!
24/10/2013 at 22:03

Ha ha CM! Bet he loved that!

hoggle - hope flight home is ok. 

Tatty - hope all sorted!

horrible night last night. Woke at 3am coughing snd hVent slept since! Things serum to have improved today. Hope so. Archie coughing lots though. Had parents eve tonight but thankfully a load of no shows (what better way to show you don't care...) job share was in bits though as we've had another child protection disclosure and another had tried to hang himself in front of her whilst screaming I hate school! Omg. Just horrific. 

24/10/2013 at 22:15

The child tried to hang himself??  How old is the child??  

I can't imagine making an appt and not showing whether it's for a parent teacher meeting, dr, date etc etc.  how rude.  

Had ours today, M is fine, sounds like she's where she should be.  Then as I thought it was over the teacher told me Matilda could be stubborn!  I laughed and basically said tell me something I don't know.  Apparently she doesn't always do as she's told.......you don't say.  But the teacher has only had to threaten once that she'd tell mummy, and she hasn't said anything to me all term so far, so it can't  be that bad.

then came home, did a quick run, then went back to school to the PTA meeting and have somehow ended up on the committee.  I don't mind really, I had planned to volunteer more this yr anyway, at events, and I was amazed that there were only about 15 people there, when the school has nearly 1000 kids.  The PTA raises over £15k every yr and they use the money brilliantly for the benefit of all the kids, so why should the same few parents do all the work all the time.  It definitely puts me out of my comfort zone, as I don't know anyone on the committee well, but I shall embrace it as a challenge.....

Edited: 24/10/2013 at 22:16
24/10/2013 at 22:31

Quickest way to get on the PTA committee is to turn up Caro.. It's the same country wide, a handful of people in each school doing a lot of good. 

And the child is 4 Caro. he's been turned down fir a statement of sen as he apparently is fine. Paediatrics are currently waiting to go to the assessment panel.  They think otherwise and he does (does he ever!) need one to one...

25/10/2013 at 21:00

And for today's nutter of the day in class just had this from job share... 

St D s rang at half 3. A paediatric dr had tried to examine after yest s disclosure. He wrecked the place Knocked down filing cab broke 2 comps Smashed a table whilst his bro was on it making him fall and hurt. Hit staff and bruised now! And so on!  had to call off exam and shut down dept! They wondered how he was in school. 

Were 're going to end up with more adults than children in the class at this rate! 

25/10/2013 at 21:51

Omg Janie. Is this mainstream schooling?  Makes lou's school look really posh even though it has a catchment which includes an area which makes it onto deprived area lists. though that area has been changed hugely these last few years with the high rises coming down and new houses being built. 

25/10/2013 at 21:51

Actually I just realised how bad that sounds, like I am assuming no posh kid would behave like that. Apologies!! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.