Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

43,101 to 43,120 of 45,793 messages
13/04/2014 at 16:26

Welcome soswalker!  Sound advice from TT, definitely core and pelvic floor muscles.  I was given a leaflet by the hospital which was basically what TT describes, though I used to do them in bed at night and often nodded off halfway through .  I bet if you search on YouTube there'll be a postnatal workout of some sort?

Hope the marathon runners have had a good run!  Probably a bit warm in this sunshine, but there's a strong breeze up North, not sure if it is in London.

I did my first speed workout today, prescribed by the physio on Friday.  5ish mins jog then 5 mins fast, 1 min rest then another 5 mins fast, then 10 min jog.  Hip ached by the end but doesn't seem too bad since I got back.  Getting a bit annoyed/frustrated by my running buddies making constant requests for me to do races when I clearly can't !  I know they mean well but I just sound as though I'm making excuses all the time.

Anyway, banana bread smells as though it's done   Enjoy the sunshine!

13/04/2014 at 19:34

Soswalker I've had to start from scratch several times, after 2 babies and injuries.  This last time I had 8 months off laswinery er, starting back again last May, and I did the couch to 5k.  It seemed pretty silly starting so slowly given that I know when I'm fit I can be pretty speedy, but it was great.  I am someone who likes to follow a programme, so I like to be ale to tick off days so it worked a treat, and before I knew it I was racing again.

had a lazy morning watching telly and tracking friends running on the I pad, then we went to the beach, dug a few sandcastlas, ate chilli choc ice cream then came back and did a lovely 4 mile run in quiet country lanes with hubby on his bike.  Kids are shattered  

13/04/2014 at 19:35

Oh and well done camlo!  Race rep please!  And I saw from FB chynah got a PB today  

13/04/2014 at 19:38

Hmmmmm banana bread, yummy! Glad you are able to build back up JG. 

Hi Soswalker, i would echo Tangy's advice about core and building up slowly but also make sure you have well fitting kit if you have changed shape. Wobbling is painful! 

Fab efforts from the Yve's then, the only ones on here to brave London this year. When do entries open for next year?? 

My tri today went well although I was gutted to see a time of 2 hours at the finish. Thankfully that was timed from 1st wave of swimmers so my actual result was 1:30 which got me 2nd 40-49yr. I nearly didnt go up for it though as didnt want anyone thinking i could possibly be that old...... 

13/04/2014 at 20:40

Awesome effort camlo. 

Hello soswalker

I am on only to recommend the malt Easter bunny. Pinched the one from lou's party bag yesterday and it was bloody lovely. Though of course part of that may be the illicit nature of it!

13/04/2014 at 20:42

I also halved the cake slice yesterday and ate that last night. Heart was in my mouth when she asked for it today. Happily though she didn't notice how much it had shrunk 

13/04/2014 at 21:41
Lol EF
14/04/2014 at 00:02

Oh how I laughed EF, guilty as charged myself at times!!  Camlo - you look too young, no one would believe you and think you an imposter!! Fab effort   WWell done the Yves, pbs we like. SOS - good advice from here. Definitely focus on the core along with rebuilding the legs ... The core is the key, but be gentle I'd things are adding. Pelvic floor exercises will also target your lower and as well. Pilates is great if you can get to a class, otherwise the wonderful power of you tube!  TT planks are quite hard core!!

14/04/2014 at 01:19

Well done Yve and Chynah

great racing, Camlo! 

LOL EF

Welcome SOS Would echo advice about core stability. It is surprising how quickly and spectacularly pregnancy and birth zaps it! sounds like you're doing really well after just 9 weeks though - you'll be racing again before you know it What is your LO called? 

Evil session done today. 8 x 400m reps at faster than 10k pace on dreadmill. Hope it has the desired effect! 

14/04/2014 at 07:53

Thanks everyone for the advice - much appreciated!!! And great to see you're all doing great things with your running, it's really encouraging and reassuring   So will start building up my core muscles again and take it slow and steady with building up the running! Oh and defo need to invest in some new sports bras  fortunately I can just about still squeeze into everything else although I'm tempted to get some new trainers (I'm due some anyway as the mileage is high on these) - I love buying new kit lol, gives me a bit of a kick up the bum to go out and run when Im tempted to skive off, but not so good for the bank balance!! 

My little boy is called Oliver  He just had his first injections last Thursday so hes been in a right grump all weekend! Hoping he's cheered up abit today poor lad 

Hope you all have a good week and thanks for being so friendly 

14/04/2014 at 13:06

Welcome SOS, well done on getting out there so soon but be careful. Some of the mums on here have had some bad experiences with doing too much too soon. Congratulations on Oliver. 

Lol EF!  I'm eating way too much cake and sweets at the moment. Mr TT has found all 3 secret stashes of Cadbury's minieggs for the boys for Easter and demolished them already! Need a better hiding place. 

Some of you have seen on fb that the house build is finally out of the ground, all framing done to first floor!

Well done to everyone who raced at the weekend. Awesome results from Camlo, Chynah and Yve. 

14/04/2014 at 22:43

5 mile off road cycle and 3 mile run today, all in beautiful sunny norfolk!  I love holidays . also ate lage quantities of cake, plus steak for tea, washed down with red wine.  off to meet our friends tomorrow who coincidentally are having a weeks boating on the broads the same week we are here, so they are taking us out for a spin!

PG3
15/04/2014 at 09:07

Hey soswalker welcome and congrats on Oliver. I had a little boy 5 weeks ago. I had a c section so need to be more careful but my physio gave me some gentle core exercises. I have another appt next week to get some more. I have them on email if you want me to forward them on to you. They might be a bit easy though...

Well done Camlo

Caro - great week for a break. Enjoy the cake etc. I am still being good as I have to get in swimwear on holiday in six weeks. My weight is coming down but v slowly and slower than I think it should. Only 16 more KGS to go!!! ( pls no one tell me how many stones that is as KGS feel more manageable). My fault for eating everything in sight whilst pregnant

Another lovely day today. I feel a long walk coming on. My 3 yr old is with my mum for the week. My mum runs a riding stables so its a 3 yr olds dream hang out.

15/04/2014 at 17:54

Pip, I'd love the exercises please, will have another c section with this one and as this will be my last I have no excuses but to get fit afterwards!

Looks as though some of you are now on Easter break, some lovely photos on FB of your days out/holidays.

15/04/2014 at 20:15

Oh thanks pip that would be fab if you don't mind! I will pm you my email addy - thanks so much! Congrats on your little boy too  Hope you're all doing well! 

15/04/2014 at 20:47

LOL Pip, I did that with kg too!! Got down to pre preg weight a while back but want to lose another 8lbs or so to get to my happy racing weight  

the house is really getting there now, TTid! So exciting for you all. 

Operation weaning is going well. Have managed to drop one feed completely as of today - Prior to that she was having solids and then a bit of boob after. The rest of the time is still all boob. Tried giving her a bottle with some cooled boiled water in yesterday but she was having none of it - she just won't do bottles!! However - and I am SO relieved! - I gave it to her today in a free flow beaker and she took it! Yay. So hopefully she will be fine to have EBM in a beaker when she goes to nursery It is only for seven weeks while I serve out my notice though. She is down to do three days but I am still finalising my hours. Hopefully I may be able to work two full days. 

Run went well today - 7.5 miles (hilly - it all is round here!). Did 10k in 68 mins - v slow, but I am hoping that with a few more weeks to train, a much less hilly course (race is flattish) and the adrenaline I might get close to the hour mark.

PG3
16/04/2014 at 09:00

TT - send me your email address and I will send them on. These first ones are at four weeks. I have another appt on Tues which will be six weeks so I should have some more to share.

Tb - glad weaning is going well. I remember struggling to get mine to drink water at all. If a cup works then great. 

Happy easter everyone!

16/04/2014 at 13:20

Pip, message on its way, thanks. I also discovered we have a couple of mutual friends....  Small world!

16/04/2014 at 13:32

Neither of mine embraced drinking water for ages, I used to despair and tried all manner of cups with J, by the time S arrived I knew it was a case of eventually they'd get there. Sounds great running TB though, very impressive    to G at nursery whilst you work your hours out though.

Shouldn't be on here really, have so much to do I don't know where to start so thought I'd procrastinate instead!!!  My first morning of teaching two classes (one after the other). So it would be great except for I obviously forgot to finalise with a lady joining my second class that she was definitely in that one not the first one ... she didn't turn up ... and then when I get home and check my emails again I realise I DID get back to her but only to say I'd confirm ... bu**er and   to me ... trying to juggle too many balls clearly ... don't have a number for her so have sent a grovelling email and hope she comes along next week and I am forgiven ...

Did a very slow and steady 20-miler yesterday and was pleased to feel just fine despite my hill climb run the day before. Did waste about 15 minutes overall on re-tying shoes, walking while I ate something and taking pictures though!!  New shiny shoes seem good - no blisters and some extra cushioning  was welcome on the lumpy hardcore on the railway. Did add a loop in with a hill tho' as flat straight railway was become a bit boring, despite the lovely scenery!!

I guess I'd better stop procrastinating and do my jobs before school run heaven

sorry, I know I've missed stuff, feel very disorganised today!

Never mind, hubby back home tmrw night, and he gets Monday as a bank holiday even if we don't so he doesn't have to fly South on Sunday - yay

16/04/2014 at 15:28
You don't get Easter Monday off? That's wrong! We get it here. Kids not back til Tues.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.