Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

43,581 to 43,600 of 43,658 messages
13/05/2015 at 21:40

I'm pretty sure that kind of diet is not being discussed for children here, I suppose most people might still consider a diet excluding sugars and carbs a bit bespoke?!?  A dentist I saw said to avoid fruit snacks and use breadsticks/cheese instead, and another dentist warned of the perils of honey and tooth decay!

However saying that I have been doing something similar and cut carbs and sugars and did stop craving them so from a personal point of view I can see why it might be a good idea to get kids to try and do similar.  However then you introduce different worries about a meat/protein based diet and whether that is 'healthy' so I suppose balance is key.

Had my carb free dinner of lamb steak, aubergine and courgette with parsley and walnut pesto.  Yum.  Plus wine - 9th wedding anniversary today!!

14/05/2015 at 15:14

I'd be concerned about restricting too much from a child's diet too - they need lots of fuel for the amount of energy they burn off, so as long as they are getting a good variety of foods, with not too much salt and sugar, it can't be far wrong.

Quick question - has anyone ever had gall-stones?  I know Dr Goolgle is dangerous, but I've been having pains that don't seem to be the wind I first thought.

14/05/2015 at 17:42

Hi Nessie, my step mum has had them and they have been very painful, she has ended up in a&e twice for painkillers.  Hope its not that x

14/05/2015 at 21:38
Nessie, my mum had her gallbladder removed just before Christmas. She had gallstones which caused an attack of pancreatitis, and she was in agony. Hospitalised for 10 days while they cleared the infection, then booked in for gallbladder removal 3 weeks later. Two days before op pancreatitis flared up again, readmitted to hospital for another 10 days but this time they decided to keep her in until infection had cleared and then operate straight away. Had op done laparoscopically so good recovery and she's fine now. She said it was so painful - round her back and right side; she had a couple of occurrences of what she thought was bad indigestion before the first attack and some nausea.

What makes you think you might have gallstones? I do hope not.
15/05/2015 at 11:20

Thanks Minks.

I've had a three or four times over maybe 6 months when I've had what I originally thought was really bad trapped wind, but which didn't move or lessen when I moved around.  Is starts just under the bottom of my left breast (but inside the ribcage) and then extends down almost to my groin and up to my collar bone.  Bending over is excruciating, but lying down relieves it.  It lasts for anything up to 2 hours, then passes.

Having googled the site of the pain, gallstones seemed to fit, and on Wednesday I had an "attack" shortly after eating a doughnut (I know, I know) then later after having some chocolate (it was a tough day......).  That would fit with the fatty food causing production of bile, however, I don't have nausea or vomiting or any fever.

I think I'll phone the doc for an appointment just to be sure - don't want to cause anything worse by leaving it. 

15/05/2015 at 11:21

Thanks Kinsey too - missed your post first time.

15/05/2015 at 12:16

Oh that's handy.  Can't book an appointment until June.....

So, will need to phone at 8am on Monday to see if I can get an on-the-day appointment.

15/05/2015 at 17:05

Oh god Nessie, that's carp.  It's comments like that that really make me appreciate my GP surgery.  Do call on Monday definitely.  Sounds unpleasant.

16/05/2015 at 20:20
Nessie a friend of mine has gallstones but has managed them v well through diet (and lost weightss a result). Appalling that you can't book til June - that's crazy!!!
16/05/2015 at 22:03

A friend has gallstones and when she has an attack it literally makes her collapse and the pain is awful but then it passes just as quick and she carries on. 

Hate reading about poor gp surgeries, ours is fab in comparison.

Up with the larks today and went to junior duathlon in Llanelli. Tom managed really well and finished strongly, niece struggled in an amazing field but did a fantastic time for her 1st go. 

Hope the ultra, moon walk and loch tri -ers are going well.

18/05/2015 at 09:56

Got through to the surgery on third attempt, and have an appointment for this afternoon.  Maybe I was a bit harsh criticising the surgery.....

18/05/2015 at 13:45
Glad to hear that Nessie. Hope you get some answers. I was in hospital with an infection a few weeks after having my youngest and it was eventually attributed to my gall bladder. Apparently it can be triggered by pregnancy. I was in a lot of pain at the time and they said I would need my gall bladder removed but it settled with antibiotics and I have had no more symptoms.

Sounds like a good weekend Camlo what an active family you are.

My friend had her surgery last week and out of hospital today. I might see her tomorrow as I have her eldest after school.
18/05/2015 at 20:56

How did it go Nessie?

Yep we are very active at the moment - running festival yesterday so boys and niece did 3k (she was 3rd) and i did the half marathon. Swim for me and football for boys today, running club for me and swim for boys Tues, athletics for us all Weds, running club thursday..... Etc. 

Need to lose a few pounds but i get sooooo hungry and need to balance fuelling for training with sensible cutting back... Not easy. 

19/05/2015 at 09:23

Nothing conclusive.  GP doesn't think it's gallstones as there was no tenderness when he poked and prodded.  Suggested muscular, but I can't see how that can be.

Took blood samples and urine for testing, but other than that, no suggestions.

Not sure if I'm relieved or not..........

19/05/2015 at 14:44

Bit frustrating really Nessie, although I suppose no news is good news?? Not if you're still in pain though 

19/05/2015 at 15:26

The pain is very intermittent JG. It comes on suddenly, lasts for say an hour or so, then reduces and disappears. 

Results should take about a week, so I'll just have to wait and see.

20/05/2015 at 11:41
Nessie I had something very similar a few yrs ago. Happened twice I think, never really discovered what it was. 1st time I suspected urine infection, 2nd time doc thought it wAs ibs and prescribed tablets for that but it went away by itself and I never used the tablets. I would just randomly get pain like a bad stitch, maybe when I stood up from sitting and stuff or for no apparent reason. Never had it again tho.
20/05/2015 at 22:57

Hope you're ok Nessie! 

Just thought I'd pop back over to wave. 

20/05/2015 at 23:58
Glad you got tests done Nessie. It doesn't sound right so hopefully you can get an answer. Thanks for comments on diet. With hindsight I think the speaker was a bit of a nutter. She had some good points but took them too far. It is a minefield with so much conflicting information but we have to be realistic and avoiding whole food groups is too hard for most people.

I am having a hard time with my 2 nearly 3 year old. He is being vey emotional and clingy with me. Usually better with others but it's driving me mad. I made a big effort to drop him off at preschool today. He had a tumble on the walk there and then had a total meltdown for the rest of the walk and until I left . I feel so sad leaving him like that and know it would have been better if I hadn't bothered
21/05/2015 at 06:27

I think it must be the age BP - mine is also being a bit of a nightmare!  He was being aggressive at play school last week, then was having a huge melt down on the way home and the whole street heard it, and he's been like that on and off for a couple of weeks.  I am mostly ignoring the worst of it but not letting him get away with any antisocial behaviour.  Tiring though, plus he likes getting up at 5am!!

Hope the results come soon Nessie xx

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.