Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

44,401 to 44,420 of 47,205 messages
08/02/2014 at 10:56

I have a pair of innovs that they don't fit into, a pair of adidas k-something they don't fit in and a pair of lovely mizuno one they do fit in but they failed me big time in a recent very muddy race as not enough grip. Salomon cross look good but maybe not enough for the mileage? CC, Lotte? 

Also I run 20+ off no fuel and run every morning off nothing 5-20 miles, maybe a cuppa on the weekend. However am waiting today until brekkie gone down as ate barely anything yesterday as felt dodgey after clearing up boys sick bug Thursday night. I had run 20 miles on Thursday evening too with the blokes from the club which ended up being rather a burn up for the last 7 miles all 7mm or less. So felt rather light headed when I woke up today. Much better after brekkie so heading out for my easy 6 miler now.

I do eat carbs though. I eat muesli every morning but with loads of seeds, fruit, nuts and yoghurt. I dont eat bread anymore unless I make it or I know its hand made, but do eat pasta, rice etc, but less than I used to, more veg and protein and fat. Do tend to load up the night before though. 

Right off out in the wind...

08/02/2014 at 13:50
Why do ur orthotics not fit MM? Do they make shoe too tight so need a wider shoe or are they a different shape i.e curved v straight?
08/02/2014 at 16:49

I imagine the orthotics take up a fair amount of volume in the shoe as there will be more substance to them than standard off-the-peg footbeds?

Anyway, MM, lovely to hear from you , and fantastic news re the hormones etc. Sounds like you are running well at the moment - yay. And I am sure you will do grand in your ultra. tbh much of my advice is probably not necessarily helpful as you will be spending less time on the course than I would, so Lotte will have some great tips.

Shoes for starters though - is a nightmare and trial and error. The Inov8s you have - are they performance fit? Which ones are they - only because they fit so differently depending on model - I have mudroc 290s for all my fell-like stuff and they are a close fit with no room for anything above the norm, whereas other models of theirs I have tried are much more forgiving (for instance the roclite 268s). Sadly for me, more and more their shoes don't fit me as they are all coming up with too much volume for my narrow feet

Salomon - again, some have better room/fit than others. I tried on some speedcross in run4it the other day and they were lovely and comfortable, but I felt like I was standing on a huge step, such was the cushioning under the heel etc. Their fellcross felt good though, slightly lower volume etc etc. I have some Saucony Peregrines which are uber comfy but grip is bl**dy useless if it's remotely damp. My all time favourite all-rounders were my roclites but they died and the current model is too wide!! I also had some Mizunos but they gave me mega blisters. Lotte currently has a pair of something she says are the most comfy trail shoes she's ever had - I'd love to know what they are ... and I think she has orthotics ...

Food and fuelling, you will have to try and test during training.  I usually alternate real food with a gel but I run a slower pace too so digestive issues are rarely a problem for me. I know what gels work for me, so when I am out on a long slow plod that is when I try any other things out - and we will all be different in what works. I always try and have a selection of sweet and savoury available though.

I haven't run properly for three weeks now due to probs with my back ... been seeing the osteo but am now considering getting an appt with podiatrist for a biomechanics test as all problems are on same side. I think this is probably the misfiring glutes but it's all exploded big-time ... so my July Ultra may not be quite the race I was planning

08/02/2014 at 16:51

crazy skiing with the kids this morning - the weather was proper Scottish conditions, they always say that if you can winter mountaineer in Scotland you can survive winter climbing anywhere in the world, I think the same goes for skiing. No visibility, blizzards, really strong SE gusting across the slopes. But kids loved in and my various niggles don't feel any worse for it.

Have also just ordered one of the most expensive items I have ever bought I think ... but I am in love with this bike and looking forward to getting a fair few miles out of it for many years to come - is a cyclocross bike so will go over pretty much anything, with some touring thrown in for good measure too

08/02/2014 at 17:01

yay to bike, cc

oh what a mess here today. at about 4pm my neighbour called. she is a single mum, same-ish age as me, her son is 6. i know she drinks a fair bit - she comes round here for booze quite often. i've never seen her utterly smashed tho. anyway, her sister had come around half an hour before and taken her son off her. her sister told her she was a complete waste of space, a disgrace etc etc. she said she was going for 'custody' of the child and went off with him. friend didn't want me to call the police as she has been drinking but i told her i was worried it wouldn't look good in court if she hadn't done anything about getting him back until monday morning. so i agreed i'd phone the police on her behalf. she went home - i think she thought i'd have booze but i don't.

anyway, the police control person i spoke to (for about 15 mins) ended up saying they really did want to get someone round. i don't have any concerns about her son''s welfare with his aunt (even though she is a nasty piece of work from my friend's accounts) - he spends time with his aunt anyway as my friend travels with her work (cabin crew). and i'm sure he'll be fine there. but they want to do a welfare check. they won't take ethan off his aunt if friend is not capable of looking after him as long as he is safe where he is.

so i went round to tell my friend that the police were coming and ... her car has gone. she's not answering her phone. i can't get hold of her.

i think she's driven somewhere (to get more booze?) p1ssed. which means if the police are there when she gets back ... she will be over the limit, get done for drink driving and lose her licence. and her job. and won't be able to get her son to school (has to drive to get there)

08/02/2014 at 17:22
Ok so the police have been. They are going looking for her. And will arrest her if she has been drinking. Oh god. She is going to hate me...
08/02/2014 at 17:34

although, what did make me laugh (although not at the time; i was being too freaked out by a police officer in my living room), was the policeman saying "so what kind of people are the aunt and uncle. are they tidy people or, you know, like... rough?". stereotyping? much??

08/02/2014 at 18:33

eeek cm. stressful! But if she is drinking and driving she needs a wake up call before she kills someone. 

Hi mm! Lovely to hear from you. 

brookie I hope you're still dry. 

Fraser is 7 months ttid. I really felt my back and hip flexors but did manage 5 again this morning. Shattered now. Not helped by glass of fizz at my sister's for her hubby's birthday. And an enormous piece Of cake! 

08/02/2014 at 18:51

Ooh to bike cc. Bought Lou a bike today at the Bike Station. A charity who recycle donated and recovered bikes. Got a Revolution Skye -seems to be Edinburgh bicycle co-op own brand. We paid £35. Same bike retailing at £185-£199 new. 

08/02/2014 at 19:38

Yeah, I guess in the long run she'll thank you CM - imagine if she was in an accident with her kids in the car.....

Flying solo now.......kids in bed, wine in hand.

Foot sore, am walking in my hiking boots now as they have good support.  Was standing for 2 hrs selling drinks and sweets at school disco whico obviously didn't help.  Did spend ages with frozen water bottle and foam roller this morning, will do more later.

08/02/2014 at 20:01

Golly CM - proper soap opera drama that! But yeah, think you did the right thing. 

Good summary for MM too. Saw on FB you'd entered an ultra! Exciting! Bet you will ace it.  We are all still dry thankfully but some in the village haven't been so lucky. Saw folk sweeping water out of their houses etc earlier today. Poor poor guys. Some roads still under water but it seems to be receding. Ready for next load of rain I guess. 

Hi EF too. cake an bubbles sounds like my ideal afternoon snack! Just did a few miles on the rollers today and a walk. Didn't run as all roads out of village submerged at some point and fields also under water so route planning was difficult  I don't know the area well enough yet to know other options when flooding occurs. Sitting by fire now watching The Bridge! 

08/02/2014 at 20:03

Speaking of foam rollers, I would like to buy one but there are so many out there!  Can anyone recommend one?  I have a feeling we've had this conversation before...

Eek CM, scary.  You did the right thing for your friend, hopefully she stayed safe.

Good luck Caro, wine every night I reckon!  Ouch to sore foot - is it worse than yesterday or the same?

Hi MM   and well done to CM for the summing up, not sure I am that au fait with when all these babies were born!

08/02/2014 at 20:25

Yes CM just bear in mind that as well as herself and her kids she is actually also putting you and your kids at risk by drinking and driving. You could be on the same road. 

08/02/2014 at 20:27

JG I have a Grid. It's ouchy. I think that's cos it works. 

Eaten all my points and more with cake fizz and a scone this morning at swimming so having four boiled potatoes, 2 slices of ham, spinach, tomatoes and cucumber for tea! propoints. 

08/02/2014 at 21:51
Oh CM I hope she gets her act together, my neighbour and Mother of boy I later childminded for several yrs was the same. She got done for drunk driving, hubby eventually divorced her and kept his son. She still couldn't stay off the booze, couldn't b trusted alone with her son as she would pass out drunk when he was with her. Eventually killed her sadly, she was horrendous looking at the end, skeletal with yellow eyes. Her son was only 6 when she died. His Dad has been amazing tho and he now has a lovely stepmum and stepbrother and all is well. But she threw away her chance of being his Mum and Grandma to her daughter's twin babies all for alcohol. Awful! Just wanted to grab her and shake her and scream "what the hell are you doing woman?".

Your friend at a crossroads now, has to decide whether she gets sober and gets her son back or uses it as an excuse to drink herself to death.
08/02/2014 at 22:03
JG- athletes treating athletes website recommends u start with a plain cheap not too hard foam roller as everyone has different tolerance to what they can cope with in a roller. So don't want to spend ??40-50 on expensive knobbly one just to find u can't use it. Mine is homemade from a piece of pipe and a camping mat.
08/02/2014 at 22:43

oh no caro - booooo to sore foot

well what an evening it has been. i have literally just finished clearing up after my dinner (see - am being good vegan girl now. eaten 3 bean chilli on a bed of spring green. the spring green did NOT work with the chilli but needed eating up). friend was actually at home all the time. passed out. her car had been left down the hill somewhere (not sure why...)

i have spent the whole evening on phone to friend (she's waiting for policeman to come back round and visit). sister is a nasty piece of work - extremely controlling and jealous. and she's undermining my friend and her relationship with her son. friend binge drinks to excess but doesn't do it all the time. she says she can go a few weeks without drinking and then hits a bad patch and goes off the rails. she's getting help for it, which her sister obviously isn't happy about really. if she sorts herself out, she won't keep coming back for all the emotional abuse that is being dished out.

so i've spent about 3 hours tonight on the phone to her... and am now off to bed. fortunately she's still talking to me, even though i called the police out... i have said i will go round tomorrow and get her son back with her. friend's sister admitted to police that friend's son's welfare is never at risk...

08/02/2014 at 22:54

oh and my cat played a starring role today. while i was on the phone to the control room, he got on my lap and starting purring REALLY loudly. i didn't think anything of it as he does it all the time. the lady in the control room said "Is that a cat i can hear?". i think she thought i had someone heavy breathing down the phone.  and then when the policeman turned up, the cat greeted him and when he sat on the sofa, he jumped straight on his lap and starting kneeding his knees. i did try and shoo him off (bit embarrassing really) but policeman was nice and made a fuss of him. when policeman came back for second time, cat got off his bed to come and see him. and then nearly tripped him up as he went out the front door.

09/02/2014 at 05:28
Sob. Pain
09/02/2014 at 09:04

Big hugs CM hope pain eases soon. Your friend is obviously in crisis but if i am honest my sis would seriously give me a hard time and take my children too if i was too drunk to look after them. You did the right thing calling the police, child welfare always trumps needs of the adultS. 

Yippee to entering the ultra MM, no advice on shoes, i am still wearing the adidas i got from you! 

Caro - eek to foot, hope it doesnt turn into a long term issue. Good luck flying solo for a while! 

JG I have a grid roller but not used it much yet.

CC ouch to no running but skiing sounds a fab alternative, bike looks amazing! 

Did an 8 yesterday but it was sleeting and hailing in a gale so soaked to the skin and very cold. Need a day off as legs tired but also hubby has just removed our front door to put a new one in so have to keep kids out of the way! 

House is built on a flood plain with a stream at the end of our garden (with ducks!), so far it is ok but i still worry about it! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.