Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

44,581 to 44,600 of 46,360 messages
09/07/2014 at 08:42

Vixo we got some freebies-nothing exciting, just sweets, drinks, and a really really gay Carrefour hat that Eric is now wearing with pride We agreed it was good fun but we wouldn't have driven a long way to see it, but given it was on the doorstep it was definitely a not to be missed moment.

wow, I  feel so well this morning (ie normal!) it's really made me realise how awful I have felt over the last wk.  

got school show now, the entire infants (420 under 7s) singing in the playground  

09/07/2014 at 13:42

Great to hear that you are feeling well Caro

Ikkle - it is scary giving them freedom! Are you doing the Scottish half? Thats my next race.

I am at work today, boo hoo. Feeling so sleepy. This damn world cup malarky means getting the kids to bed at a reasonable hour is impossible. My plans for the beach yesterday were scuppered when Sophie reminded me she had a dentist appt! Good job someone int he family is organised! So we did a picnic lunch in  a castle, and then the dentist, shoe shopping for Cameron and Tesco shop with all 6 kids in tow!  I had an athletics club committee meeting last night so we met hubster in town at 6 and he took kids home while I went to meeting with my bike to cycle the 20 miles home afterwards. Meeting finished at 9pm, lovely cycle home on a beautiful night, got home to chaos. All 6 kids still up, dirty dishes everywhere, hubby and boys glued to football, and they hadn't left me any tea. Sigh!

Anyhoo working til three. Twins and Reece are at hubbys parents, older two free range in town and Emily on a wet and wild day (coasteering) with a friend. Home for a couple of hours then track session tonight and twins have football.

I am a bit like you Minks, wonder what I might have been able to achieve if I had started running earlier. But it is just a thought, I don't regret it, I was busy with other things! Don't entirely agree with Vixo, it can still be a hobby but you might still want to push yourself and find out your limits. I am fiercely competitive with myself and I always want to push myself further, harder etc to see what I can do. The problem with this is inevitably you do break sometimes but then the getting back from the lows is a huge learning experience too. I was quite pleased with how I handled my 8 weeks of no running and hubby was surprised. While I do want to continue to improve, my running is only important to me and it is not the most important thing in my life. Maybe I enjoyed the time away from it a bit. I have a bit of a mindset that if someone else can do something then so can I. So if people can run 100 mile weeks I feel I should be able to do that too. The problem is these people might not have 6 kids to run after, house work to do and work three days a week plus all the other factors of life. I have always been a bit 'well people can make excuses but if you really want something you just make find a way and get on with it'. Now I am accepting (slowly) that these aren't just excuses to do less but valid reasons and I need to pay attention to my rest and recovery and just accept that maybe you can't do it all.

What a waffle, work avoidance, haha. Better get on with something useful!

09/07/2014 at 14:03
Vixo - absolutely! It's not as though I'm ever going to run elite times and Running has to fit around the rest of our lives so high mileage just isn't possible or practical. Yes, in real terms if I were so inclined I could run at silly o'clock but I'm just not willing to do that for the sake of what may amount to only a few seconds improvement in performance. I am fairly obsessive about sticking to my 4 runs a week and am territorial about preserving that time to run but with all our other activities plus work I'd be too tired to run well if I tried to do much more or had to get up in the middle of the night to do it!

Caro, sooooo glad to hear you're feeling human again. Enjoy today!

Ikkle, my son is 7 and there's no way I'd allow him out on his own. But I guess it may be very different where you live. I would certainly not be happy for him to be alone in a park - probably a sign of the times unfortunately, but better safe than sorry.
09/07/2014 at 14:21

Crossed posts Lotte!  I think I'm with you in that running is more than just a hobby to me because even within my limitations (whether those are self-imposed or otherwise) I am horribly competitive and always want to push myself to achieve more.  But I am realistic given my constraints, as you are also coming to realise. 

One thing I've found interesting is training with my IMTB.  He is single, lives alone and can essentially do what he wants when he wants.  Yet he is always making excuses for missing this or that session, which I find really frustrating.  He doesn't have half the motivation, determination or commitment that I or many of us on this thread have.  Having constraints just seems to make us more bloody-minded!

09/07/2014 at 19:35

Will be back later with race report and a proper catch up, but I am SO PLEASED to hear Caro is feeling normal - fantastic news and like you say, makes you realise how under you were ((()))

Lotte - I loved your synopsis, because it absolutely rings a bell with me on many levels. I am fiercely competitive but only with myself, and perhaps the odd person why might 'get' me for some particular reason, but I am the hardest critic of myself too.  But I think I have realised that you definitely have to be realistic. One of the biggest things I learn from my recent race is how much of it is down to mental attitude too. You can be as fit as you like, but if in your head you've already said well, I felt cr*p today, it's going to be a hard race, then actually, it will be!!

Which brings me to your point too Minks - I think when your time is already compromised and you have very little 'me' time, you usually make bl00dy sure you use it, not that we don't all have cba days, oh boy do I have those aplenty!!

Anyway, back later with more ponderous wafflings and observations from me

Camlo - I didn't envy you the tap incident last night.  And so so sad about these mums who leave ... mind you, having the conversations with my friend the other week, who was planning exactly just that - more because she genuinely feels her family are better off without her and she's not up to the job of 'mum' which I feel is incredibly sad for all of them.

Anyway, I have salty sandy monkeys who need to be in bath - are refusing a shower and it HAS to be a bath, I can't complain though as they did my supermarket shop and cooked my tea!!!

09/07/2014 at 20:32
I think that is probably the case with any parent who leaves male or female, they don't value themselves as parents so convince themselves that their family r better without them. But sadly don't see the damage it does to a child to b left by their parent, the children often blame themselves and think they r the problem and their parent didn't like/love them enough. Even growing up and realising that the failing was with the parent doesn't undo all the yrs that that child went throo feeling inadequate. Very sad, so damaging.
09/07/2014 at 20:41

I dont think reasons are the same as excuses..... Most of us on here have valid reasons for missing sessions or not doing as much as we want but we arent slackers (well not much!). If we were talking about sticking to a healthy diet or not overspending then i may have to admit to having no will power! 

Hope news was ok today caro, cant imagine having hundreds of kids in infants. Our school is so small both boys will be in mixed age classes in sep as they only have about 20 kids in each 'year'. 

ikkle - i let my boys play outside too and Tom and his friend regularly skip between the houses. Joys of living in a rural area. 

CC - i agree about mental attitude. I am sure that is why i slow at the end of events. Even though i am screaming at myself that I can do it i have a wee voice telling me i cant 

Asked boss if i could attend something in london and got a no. Asked all over wales for someone else to go and noone could so i offered to take leave and go in my own time and boss has said i cant (Apparently cant represent work if you arent actually on duty). WTF! Drove to my sisters and jumped in the river to expel some frustration! managed to get wettie off in less than a minute this time so getting faster! 

09/07/2014 at 21:14

happy birthday to Karen's Issie for today. she and J are birthday twins but a year apart

caro - so relieved you are feeling a bit better. do you know anymore yet about whether you may be able to get away for a break?

glad to hear all the Scottish folk having fabby hols - esp beach tales. great job!

j has had a great day today. I managed to leave for E's sports day (she won her running race - woo. looked so elegant and graceful) and then pick J up from school and spend some time with him before out for a meal with T also. have done just enough emails this afternoon and sent out something which people have been talking about needing to get done for ages tonight - so hopefully it will look like I have been working from home!

I am doing no running at the moment. I had a bit of a blip last week when I was so exhausted I just couldn't function. I had been getting up at 5.45 to run on 2 - 3 days a week plus doing long days at work (out of the house before 7 and not back until 9pm) which were stressful, plus juggling all the kid stuff, plus too many weekends away with camping and other stuff. I felt ill so decided that the one thing I could just drop without inconveniencing anyone else was the running. I do feel physically a lot better now so feel like I could probably do with a run but work is so full on and I have so much else to juggle that I am unsure as to whether it's a good idea! especially with everything that needs sorting before we go away on holiday!!! 

09/07/2014 at 21:16

minks - yes lots of zoos do the experience thing. a number of them book several kids on at a time, which Shaldon zoo doesn't. so it was 1:1 for J which was much more personal for him and I think meant he enjoyed it more. I certainly had a great time!! also lots of zoos don't do the experiences at weekends - presumably because it's a busy time for them so they can't spare the staff. but obviously I can't take J in the week (other than in the holidays and our holidays are mad as we are always away!). but shaldon have loads of volunteers so the head keeper does the experiences while the volunteers run the zoo at the weekend.

09/07/2014 at 22:55

Happy b day J and izzie

well after yet another 2 hr wait at the clinic (I kid you not) I finally got some (relatively) good news today, all things considered.  At the second surgery they removed 6 lymph nodes, none of which were cancerous, so only 1 was cancerous in total, and the pathology of the boob showed only a small amount of remaining DCIS (sort of pre cancerous cells) and no other tumours.  So........in theory I now don't go back to the dreaded Wednesday clinic for 3 months and should finally meet an oncologist next wk or the wk after.  So......in theory again CM we may be able to get away the wk after that.......watch this space!

and now the infection is clearing up I can use my left arm again!  I can tie my hair back, use 2 hands to wash it, wash my face, use a fork with my left hand.......all the simple things that I haven't been able to do for a wk as i literally had zero range of movement and it hurt like hell!  I was so freaked out that I was going to have a useless arm forever.

tomorrow I am having the kids all day for the first time in about 3 wks........hubby will be home after bed time......

09/07/2014 at 23:24

Wow caro, what a turnaround on the wound. Good news re the Wednesday clinic, in fact I guess if things are looked at relatively, that is all good news, kind of!!! Good luck with tmrw though.

09/07/2014 at 23:25

Bah camlo, what bullsh#t re London. Impressive timing for post-swim strip tease though

09/07/2014 at 23:26

Report is written but definitely needs editing and shortening so probably tomorrow now.

09/07/2014 at 23:27

Cm - that sounds realistic for now re the running. It won't always be that way though, but getting I'll will do you no favours and you juggle so much (())

PG3
10/07/2014 at 06:01

hello

It's taken me a few days to catch up on everything but I have managed it now, but have forgotten half the things I was going to comment on.

Caro - really glad to hear about the relative good news and that you are feeling better.  Good luck today.  Do what is easiest for you with them, don't try and be the perfect parent.

CC - looking forward to that race report.

CM - I read about the password incident and completely understood.  Sometimes you just can't believe the cr*p that is produced.  I remember having a huge blow with a developer (I am a BA) as the system that he designed only sorted data according to the page you were on, ie if you had 10 pages and wanted to sort A-Z, it would only sort the data on page 1 and not on any of the other pages. I was like 'seriously'.... Also if running is the only thing that can realistically give in your life, then so be it.  Not worth stressing over.

Camlo - good wetsuit removing.  Mine takes me forever as its actually too small but the material is super stretchy.  It takes so long that i just went non wetsuit at the sprint tri I did a few weeks ago as it wasnt worth it.  I will be buying a new one in the sales at the end of the year.  Chatsworth tri sounds great. I am from Derbyshire and have always loved Chatsworth.  

Well I survived the 10 days away.  My mum was actually very helpful and did loads with my 3 year old, however I was still exhausted when I got back.  We had a wedding in Derby on Saturday so I went straight back from France to my parents which finished me off.  I was so over it all by the time the wedding came round and then I spent a few days rowing with hubby.  He kept asking me if i was ok, i kept replying that I was knackered and just wanted to be at home and then he kept getting pissed off at me.  Great! He was grumpy on Sunday as hung over and tired and i was fecked off with the whole lot.  We are friends again now though although he is off to San Fran with work on Sunday for 6 days.

On to better news, I managed to run 4 miles every other day whilst away and I managed to control myself around food and didnt even have any croissants  I am now only 3 kgs away from my target weight which i am pleased with as I have dropped 18 kgs in just under 4 months.  My belly isnt a great sight though.  I did a gentle shoulder stand in yoga a few days ago and was horrified by the amount of skin that rushed towards my chin.  I think I will be fine for the 2 half marathons in early Sept and early Oct, but its 15 weeks to Abingdon marathon so its a possibility but we'll see.  I am not going to get stressed if I cant do it.  I would sooner stay injury free than push myself too hard, too fast.

So again I am the only one up in my household.  Isaac was awake from 4.30 and I left him to cry for about 30 mins to see if he would go back to sleep.  I then decide to get up and feed him, and by the time I get to his cot, he is back to sleep and I am wide awake at 5am!

10/07/2014 at 06:30
Hi Pip, I agree being away from home is a lot more tiring, glad the first bit of hol was good though!
Aidan has woken up twice this week at 5 am to poo! Not sure what that is about, maybe a growth spurt as he has just demanded and eaten 2 weetabix!
Benedict woke everyone up at 4.30am yesterday which was nice so I feel a bit exhausted. The boys both have playschool today so I will go for a run!
Caro, great that you can move your arm! Hope today goes well and the kids behave xx
10/07/2014 at 07:57

caro - great that you are more mobile. hope you can get away . and also fab that you have had some good results back. that's fantastic news

pip - good to hear from you. hope you recover a bit!

10/07/2014 at 08:38

Great news caro!

Come on CC - forget the edit just give us the long version! 

Pip - good running, good diet control, good anger management!! 

Kinsey  & Pip - boo to early waking

crap nights sleep, hot flushes again...... 

10/07/2014 at 10:31

OK. You asked for it but will wish you hadn't!!! ...

Great Glen way Ultra, 5 July 2014

This was the first official running of a new ultra in the Scottish Ultra-racing calendar. Last year a small group of selected volunteers ran the route as a test to see if it would make a viable race.

The route was 72 miles long, following the Great Glen Way from its start point at the end of the West Highland Way, Neptune’s Staircase in Fort William; finishing on the sports track at Bught Park,  Inverness. 

With the lure of a race which finished under an hour from my home, it seemed rude not to enter. Unlike races such as the West Highland Way, it did not require support crews which made logistics perfect for me as the challenge of childcare AND crew are just too much on top of actually doing the bloomin’ thing. The longer distance (ie over 50 miles) also held an appeal for the extra mental as well as physical challenge.

Training was the usual mix of injury and family commitments, and spending the first couple of months of the year out of running with back/hip/knee problems meant that proper training didn’t actually start until just before Easter – 12 weeks to 72 miles … hmmm. That said, training did go well, I didn’t notch up mega weekly mileage, anywhere between 25 and 50 miles per week depending on life. I did however start to add in a longer bike ride when I could each week (up to about 40 miles at a time), and I also did a couple of shorter races to remind me what it felt like to run fast!! I think the cycling has definitely helped with leg strength. I have also started to orienteer with our local club and recently have run a couple of harder courses, where, let’s be honest, I had some complete epics of mis-navigation. Several hours-worth of running around on pathless terrain is fantastic for building stamina!!  I’m spoilt for training areas, runs were on coastal path, forest trail, Cairngorm trail, and pathless forest.

Friday night found me finishing off familial duties, serving up tea to the kids and husband at 6pm, before dashing out the door armed with my classy Lidl drop bags and race rucsac at 8pm. I needed to be at Inverness Leisure Centre to take the coach to the start at 9.30pm.  I didn’t have a chance to feel nervous, but little sleep the night before did mean I had spent most of the day feeling sluggish and a bit bleugh.

Inverness Leisure Centre in the sunlight of a North Highland summer, it still doesn’t get properly dark until almost midnight with a large group of people gathered, surrounded by bags. The race was designed to be run with no support from outsiders, so runners were allowed a drop bag for each of the six checkpoints which they filled with goodies and pick-me-ups of their choice.  There were two checkpoints where supporters were allowed with vehicular access, but the race directors were keen to keep all this to a minimum to reduce the impact on the surrounding environment and ensure the race could run in future.

10/07/2014 at 10:31

I really wasn’t convinced of the concept of a race starting at 1am, thus starting with sleep deprivation, but then again, it does seem pointless going to bed the night before a race when you never sleep for fear of sleeping through the alarm!! No such problem here.

We all filed onto the coach for the journey South.  I found myself next to a lady from my local running club who I’d heard of but not ever actually met before so I whiled away some of the time chatting. Other than that I dozed and looked out of the window at the stunning scenery visible in the darkening skies.

Arrived at the start at about 11.30pm I guess, it was just about as dark as it would get . As we descended from the bus the midges swooped in with ferocity.  We put our drop bags in appropriately numbered piles ready for them to be transported to the checkpoints and trooped into the hotel where a couple of rooms were being used for registration and general hanging around.  Great, at least we didn’t have to hang around in the midges, and it was actually surprisingly chilly outside.  Not that I could dither over what to wear as I just had what I was standing up in and my waterproof top and windproof trousers in my pack.  I got my number and settled down in a free spot to wait the starting hour … which seemed a long way off at 1pm. Some really nice ladies on my table though – a couple from Stonehaven, and then a lady I’ve ‘spoken’ with on the Scottish Runners forum on RW.  I made the most of nice indoor toilets as many times as I possibly could and consumed some more food – one banana and the remains of my sausage pasta from tea that I struggled to eat earlier.

Finally, 12.30am, briefing time and then we were herded out to the canal loch gates in the dark to await the countdown to 1.00am.  Torches on and 86 people dancing around with nerves and cold, a quick countdown and we were off into the darkness.

The first six miles were along the canal towpath, so it was virtually dead flat but there were lots of deep potholes and puddles to look out for. I tried turning off the head torch but it wasn’t worth it as I really didn’t want wet feet quite this early on.  I started off running with a guy I met on the Dirty Thirty the other week, I’m sure he didn’t mention he was doing this race then, and given his place number I fear he decided to enter on the back of my enthusiasm for this race, so I was delighted to see he finished!  I was also running with a lady I met on the Lairig Ghru race last year, she finished just in front of me on that race so I was interested to see how we’d fare against each other in this race.

Lots of chatting and joking in the darkness along here, some people clearly were doing the race as pairs and groups and the Irish guys in front of me (four of them) had me in stitches listening to their banter.   Slowly I passed some of these groups and eventually left behind my friend from the Lairig Ghru behind, but my Dirty 30 pal stayed with me.  I was running steady at 9.4mm which was fine, I knew this would slow but felt fine as it was so flat.

The skies gradually started to lighten even though it wasn’t anywhere near dawn yet.  We left the towpath, crossed the canal onto tarmac with a short sharp climb and then we dropped onto the most delightful loch side and beach path that swooped in and out of woods in the twilight, it was magical in the darkness.  Loch side turned into forest track but steady pace although slowing slightly so I guess there were some undulations here.

The first checkpoint was around about 10 miles. I restocked on some more flapjack and headed out really quickly as didn’t need much this early on. I left my Dirty 30 pal

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.